The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Commoner

FWIW, the Prince and the Duchess are spending a week in Wales and have engagements together almost every day.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

The sad thing is that people actually read this guff.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Thane View Post
The sad thing is that people actually read this guff.

Even worse is that people believe it.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Nobility

And it just so happens that the Prince and the Duchess attended an event yesterday. Here's the proof, with pictures of them sitting together:

Prince Charles leads tribute to Services on Armed Forces Day

To be fair, Camilla did miss a high-profile event a week ago when Charles joined the President Sarkozy in a wreath-laying. At the time, it was reported that Camilla had "family obligations." Personally, I think she was just reluctant to be compared side-by-side with Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Camilla has also had back problems and a broken ankle, so she may not be able to do a full load of engagements just yet.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

This rumor of a marriage riff comes up fairly often and usually when news is slow. It come from People magazine, hardly an accurate source.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
This is rather ridiculous and way past its sell date.

Honestly, Charles and Camilla are married. Let's move on shall we.

And I say this as a Diana fantatic, who couldn't even stand to look at Camilla's name in the past. Diana is dead. Let her rest. Life is for the living. Charles and Camilla are happy and working for Britian. Other than the hanger ons who won't let Diana rest in peace, and feel the need to bring her up every couple of months...you never hear a whiff of scandal about Charles and Camilla that isn't made up.

I mean, is this really necessary?
These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more.

Vanesa.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Making the extremely large presumption that the article has a kernel of truth - it would be impossible for Charles to back out of this one, since he staked every scrap of his tattered respectability and faith on marrying her.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more. Vanesa.
I do think there's some truth to the rumor that Charles and Camilla do spend time apart but not for the reason that there is anything amiss in their relationship.

We have to remember that these two have known each other for what... 40 some years now and they are long past the first blush of romance where they can't stand to be parted and hang on each others every word and play footsies under the table. Camilla and Charles are secure enough in their relationship with each other that taking time apart to pursue separate interests isn't really that big of a deal. If I recall correctly, Charles and Andrew being gone quite a bit at the beginning of the marriage is what upset Diana and Sarah immensely. Camilla loves being at her home with her grandchildren and enjoying the country life moreso maybe than the limelight and flashbulbs of state dinners and commitments that Charles attends as his duties. She understands what role Charles has to play, what his role in the future holds for both of them and I think she'll be supportive of him 100%.

A split up of them two in the near future? I really really don't think so.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
A split up of them two in the near future? I really really don't think so.
And if there *was* such as split? I doubt we'd ever know about it, really. One would presume it would be similar to that of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
And if there *was* such as split? I doubt we'd ever know about it, really. One would presume it would be similar to that of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.
I agree with you. Their private lives are something that will always remain just that... private.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree with you. Their private lives are something that will always remain just that... private.
Yes, I think we can all do without knowing any more than assaulted our ears in the past about their private activities, n'est pas?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You might think that we don't need to hear about there private lives, but the press think differently.
They think we should know what we are paying for.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You might think that we don't need to hear about there private lives, but the press think differently.
They think we should know what we are paying for.

As Charles private income supports himself and Camilla, except for when he is on official duties where the government wants him to do something and thus the government picks up the tab (as they do for politicians and diplomats) it really is none of the public's business.

The problem is that the vast majority of people don't actually understand how the Queen and Charles are funded - e.g. that they have a private income from the Duchies but can't touch the capital only the earnings of that capital, which is their basic income.

Whileever the press keeps telling the public the lies about the funding of the royal family and implying that all of the family are supported from taxpayers rather than the vast majority of their income coming from their private estates, the public will continue to believe that they have rights which they don't have.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more.

Vanesa.
I don't know. I think the story is probably a rumor, but the sad truth is that too many marriage break-up rumors are proved right eventually. I was looking at a discussion recently about a popular sports couple who are divorcing. For months before their split, there had been rumors that they were separated, and most people refused to believe them. The comments were similar to the ones here...yellow press, false news, etc. Except the news turned out to be true eventually.

Then you have couples like Al and Tipper Gore who are divorcing. And just yesterday I read an article about how late-life divorces are increasing. Sometimes, no matter how long a couple have been together or how much they put on a show of unity in public, their marriage is actually not working in private.

I'm not saying Charles and Camilla have marriage problems, but I'm not saying they don't, either. I don't think ultimately anyone would ever know if they were living separate lives--like someone else said, it would be like the Duke and Duchess of Kent. Charles and Camilla will never divorce...that would be a TOTAL PR disaster for Charles.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Nobility

There is always the possibility that negative stories in the press help the couple see the cracks in their marriage. While things are good when the first story appears, the added pressure of seeing their partner's faults through the media can help break down the marriage.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Why I feel the need to bring this up idk but since we're on the subject *sigh*
Why Charles and Camilla are now living such separate lives | Mail Online
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
From the article

Quote:
When the Duchess of Cornwall left Scotland and travelled south with a broken leg in plaster the other week, she chose to recuperate not at Highgrove, the marital home she shares with the Prince of Wales, but at Raymill House, her own home 17 miles away.

Three years ago, when she left hospital after a hysterectomy, she did exactly the same thing.

Most married women will find it very strange that a wife should eschew the warmth and helping hand of her husband at such a difficult time, but then, this is a very strange marriage.
So they are saying because she prefers to stay at her house and how she is apparently untidy and she finds royal life horrible and that Highgrove is "starchy", they are living separate lives.

Quote:
The commitment, in fact, was the christening.
The Family commitment that kept her from meeting the Sarkozy's was a christening, possible the twin boys?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
From the article

So they are saying because she prefers to stay at her house and how she is apparently untidy and she finds royal life horrible and that Highgrove is "starchy", they are living separate lives.
Reminds me of the old nursery rhyme:

Jack Sprat
Could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean;
And so,
Betwixt them both,
They licked the platter clean.

Most married couples I know of, and also from personal experience, find out after living together for a while that the other will have ways and idiosyncrasies that will just drive the other partner nuts. He likes the windows open in dead winter, she likes 3 blankets and the room at a summer temperature. He believes the floor is where you hang up your clothes, She gets upset when her spices aren't in alphabetical order. That kind of thing. What I'm seeing here (using American TV as an example) is Camilla is more of a Roseanne who is marries to Charles the obsessive/compulsive Monk type.

Most couples don't have the choices the PoW and the Duchess of Cornwall do. They can maintain their own households and do with them what they want to feel comfortable in. Its a case of "honey... I love you but living with you drives me nuts". The way things are, both of them have their breathing space which I would imagine makes when they DO get together, they can really enjoy each other.

As for duties, since becoming the Duchess of Cornwall, I think Camilla has done hers with grace and warmth. She has a natural way of getting along with people and also has a way about her that makes Charles feel more secure and relaxed himself.

Quote:
The Family commitment that kept her from meeting the Sarkozy's was a christening, possible the twin boys?
Yes.. it was stated it was the christening of Laura's twins. As a grandmother myself, that would be top on my list of priorities too.

And so it goes.... that's my 2 cents worth. Now as my hubby is working a long day today... I've got hours to go through and gather up more for the garbage man to haul... I live with a packrat.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
If the arrangement between them works fine, then there really ought to be no reason for anybody to complain. Recognising that they were nearly 60 by the time they married, it is only fair they are reasonably set in their ways, and as they are fortunate enough to have their own space, they should be entitled to enjoy it!

I think it is fair that Camilla missed the brief meeting with the Sarkozy's for her grandchildrens christening - unfortunate clash, but so be it!

Lets move on, this is hardly going to be heading for divorce.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Courtier

I do think they tend to lead separate lives now ... not in the sense of breaking up but Charles likes his own solitude ... Camilla has her 5 grandchildren so they sort of lead independent lives, not in each others pockets. That is probably why it works out to a certain extent. Camilla knows if she becomes Queen Consort she will have to take a higher profile of engagements, and pottering about in her garden every other day will not be an option and she knows it. If she wanted that she should have remained plain Camilla Parker-Bowles and not remarried.

I don't believe for one minute the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was the great love story it was made out to be.

Also it is common knowledge that Katherine, Duchess of Kent has been living a separate life from the Duke of Kent for years ... they never divorced but the marriage ended years ago. They married in June 1961, sad really! A book came out about it and it was accepted that they would never divorce to avoid further embarrassment to the Queen.

Going back to Charles and Camilla I think they are happy leading their own separate lives but still enjoying each ether's company whenever they meet up and get together again.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales