Diana, Princess of Wales Picture Thread 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Jean said:
Not much has been said about her uncle's suicide and how it affected her. I would have thought that would have been covered more by her various biographers, but maybe for once a delicate subject was left alone.

Amazing isn't it that they could show some discretion?

I guess in the hopes of not turning the funeral into a circus, Buckingham Palace asked that Diana be allowed to attend the funeral in peace. There are a few photos from the funeral, but I'm hoping that it's just a case of one photographer being allowed to document her presence there.

Seeing Diana in the car at the funeral is so sad - she looks so lonely. I wonder why Charles didn't go with her? The RF usually don't have too many engagements in August.

This is so awesome to find out such detail about the events! Thank you so much for the cool pictures!

I have a question. If you have a funeral for someone, why do you also have a memorial service? Is this a British thing?

I ask because here in America, you have the funeral and then that is it. If the person was cremated, you might have a memorial service. But you only have one or the other.

I do think Diana looks so pretty at the second funeral. I miss her. There will NEVER be another Diana!

Lady Jean said:
The long hair was okay - I guess I prefer it to her c. 1991-1993 look which was too short and curly. My favorite hairstyles were the early K.Shanley days, the early days of the 1990 new style, and the last year of her life.
I agree, toward the end of her life her hair looked very good - with the exception of a greased back look I have seen photos of.

Her uncle commited suicide. I never knew that. Does anyone know why he did it?

Lady Jean said:
I thought her pregnancy with William was more difficult yet she did carry out many engagements.

Not much has been said about her uncle's suicide and how it affected her. I would have thought that would have been covered more by her various biographers, but maybe for once a delicate subject was left alone.

from Sally B. Smith's "Diana In Search of Herself":

"Edmund Roche ...the 5th Baron Fermoy..had a history of depression for which he sought treatment in 1969, but continued to suffer from black moods."

Question about an outfit

I am not sure where to put this question but I am a little confused about an outfit that Diana wore on the Canada tour in 1983. She was in Ottawa and cruised the waterway on the yacht Rideau. The book that I have describes the outfit as a round-necked turquoise dress and hat.

I thought at first it was the dress that she wore in Australia when she met the Prime Minister. The blue dress with the really pretty pleats? However, this outfit has sleeves to the elbow. Then I thought that it was the dress that she wore when she arrived in Australia with the big pointed collar. But I don't think it is that one, either!

I know some of you have the dates and outfits written down so I hope you can help me.

Once again, I apologize for putting the question here. Maybe we should start a thread of outfit questions????:confused:

Thanks for your help!

Squidgy said:
Tenngirl, it is that first outfit you were thinking of - what she wore to meet the Australian Prime Minister.
Just love the second picture. It show that at one time they did love each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that picture too Msleiman.:)

Tenngirl, you know, I never noticed that the sleeves were shortened by the time she wore this outfit in Canada. To be honest, it's one of my least favourite outfits of hers, so I really never looked closely. Good going!

Photo: BUNTE

Photos (L,R):Neue Post

Nice pictures Lady Jean. I have never seen that one of Diana with Sarah in the car before. Wonderful! Thank you.:)

Lady Jean,
Do you know what outfit Diana is wearing in the car with Fergie?
It does not look familiar to me!
Thanks for the pictures. I like the one with P. William, it really shows that polka dot dress. For some reason, it is hard to find pictures of that dress!
Tenngirl

Tenngirl: Glad you like the pictures!
Unfortunately the one of Diana and Sarah in the car is the only one I've seen of that occasion, so I have no helpful info about the outfit. I can't even tell what earrings she's wearing...it doesn't help that the size of the photo in the magazine is only 1 1/2" square! Better than nothing, though!

When I see some of these photos it just re-enforces that Diana was really the most photographed woman in history. Literally thousands of photographs.

... and when you take into account all of the amateur photos taken by her fans on all of her engagements ... maybe we can say that there are millions of pictures of her.:)

thanks for the photos, lady jean, te photo with fergie is very rare, I never see it before, and you're right Squidgy, with fan's photos, proffesional photos, etc, we can see milloins of photos of her.
And maybe many photos of her we never will can see, the private photos or the archive that never the newspapers and magzazines published.

no indiv. credit, in Scholastic Books "Princess Diana, Forever in Our Hearts."

D.Levenson,Colour Library Books, "Charles and Diana Visit Canada"

Colour Library Books Ltd., "The Royal Family"

ColourLibrBksLtdTheRFAM2.jpg

Colour Library Books Ltd., "The Royal Family."

Dec. 6, 1981
Peter A. Harding, Tetbury

Another rare sight - with "Kanga", Lady Dale Tryon, c. 1986
LCherruault, in Majesty mag

After she dropped off Harry at school she visited a Help the Aged center. Her baseball-style jacket was taken off and is around her knees. 1987
Majesty magazine
Oct. 1987

Incas, Glad you like them :) . More are on their way...

Mike Lloyd, in "Diana,Princess of Wales"
by Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd

Here are some more interesting ones, I hope ;)

On the way to Crathie Church service, Autumn 1982
Majesty magazine

Baby-sized bouquet for Lady Diana, 1981
Margaret Lavender, in H.Montgomery-Massingberd bio. of Diana
l

gfgo2 - Glad you like 'em!

Does anyone have information on an evening attended by Diana and Sarah Ferguson, while both still married. I saw a posed photo of only the two of them, both sitting, Diana in the strapless purple velvet gown...I don't remember what Sarah was wearing. Sarah had this photo framed in her home, and I only saw it on video during an interview with Sarah on U.S. tv. I have never seen a copy of the photo or an account of this evening so I assume it was a private event. After looking more at the photo in the post above for Charles' birthday party, I wonder if that was the occasion, since Diana has on the amethyst jewels and possibly the purple velvet gown (since she always or almost always wore the same color gemstone as her clothes.) Any ideas? Thanks.

Lady Jean said:
The following small photos were in "Inside Buckingham Palace" by A.Morton (1991). The caption on this says Diana is on her way to Charles' 40th birthday party. Can any of you confirm that?
Lady Jean, as you probably suspected (since her hair is short) the picture is not from Charles' 40th birthday. For that occasion Diana wore her beautiful white Edelstein gown, which she had just unveiled in France a week earlier. Below is a picture of Diana & Charles arriving at Buckingham Palace on Nov 14 1988 for his 40th Birthday celebration.

Photo: Hello magazine

Squidgy said:
Lady Jean, as you probably suspected (since her hair is short) the picture is not from Charles' 40th birthday.

Thank you so much for clarifying that and posting a terrific picture. I didn't believe the photo I posted was from '88 despite what the caption claimed. Her hair is definitely of a later period.

Lady Jean, you post such wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them. :)

sassie - Thanks!! :) I've really enjoyed the photos and commentary posted throughout TRF for a few years so I'm very happy to finally make some contributions (good ones I hope)!

Re: The snowman sweater.

Squidgy, If you read the article under Canadiana's photo of Diana in that sweater, it says that in December (that would be '84), the Duchess of Kent was photographed wearing it. Then a few weeks later, Diana turned up wearing it (or a similar one). When I saw that photo just now, I recognized that sweater from the photo of the Duchess, which I have in a small book called The Royal Christmas Book. But that's in black-and-white, and you beat me to it with one in color, which I'd never seen. Thank you!

Great rare pictures, Canadiana!

Does anyone know the where or when of this event?Kent Gavin, in "A Princely Marriage".

Her skin and eyes are stunning here - please click on it to enlarge.

Lady Jean,
The date I have for the pink gown is May 17, 1983 worn to Sutton Place.

Lady Jean said:
Is this at the Royal Academy on July 15,1981?
No this is June 23'1981 yes more pix show her with the wrap in her hands I thought she looked stunning and her figure perfect but then she started losing even more weight.

Canadiana - thank you for providing the correct date! That was a pretty dress that wasn't worn often enough, in my view.

I'm confused! Did Diana wear the pretty blue spaghetti-strap dress on both June 23 and July l5, or is this another instance of the Fashion Diary giving the wrong date? I too thought it was worn at the Royal Academy July 15.

Here are a couple more pics -- one wearing the wrap, one carrying it.

engagement2067_jpg.jpg

Photos: thedianaring.com;

Here's another photo from May 17, 1983 (the pink ruffled dress, though this is b/w). They were at an exhibit called "Renaissance at Sutton Place." (In the color pic posted by Lady Jean, I think Diana is listening to Charles' speech.)

imgrove0662.jpg

Photo: Syndication International

umbrellagirl said:
I'm confused! Did Diana wear the pretty blue spaghetti-strap dress on both June 23 and July l5, or is this another instance of the Fashion Diary giving the wrong date? I too thought it was worn at the Royal Academy July 15.

As far as I know she only wore it June 23. For the longest time I thought it was July 15th too, until I looked it up in the Court Circular and saw it was really June 23rd. So yes, another instance of the Fashion Diary getting it wrong!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the additional photos, Umbrellagirl.

And now I see the description in the Fashion Diary of the Sutton Place night pink gown indicates she wore a "black lace diamond studded collar".... when clearly she is wearing a sapphire choker :mad:. If she wore such a piece of jewelry I would love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom