Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ It's a famous photo, but wasn't this the fashion/style of the women of the upper classes back then?! ;) 80-90% of them looked like that in the early 90's.

Sophie is attractive but in an ordinary way; I don't think she could ever be the focus of all eyes, like Diana was.
I think she may be seen as ordinary in looks because she doesn't attempt to 'sell' herself in that way. Any film star seen without make-up schlepping to the grocery store does not impress, either - yet hours later they step onto the red carpet and its pizzazz time. Diana understood that transformation - and worked the energy like a good actress - she was deliberate in what she was doing and we can see how she learned to use herself as an instrument over the years. Sophie makes no choice to go down that road it seems.

I look at her face and she looks not only beautiful to me but she feels comfortable. She feels like someone you could have an interesting conversation with. I think Edward lucked-out big-time catching her to be honest.

Look at her hair - and its her wedding day. No fuss there. Interesting lady. I place a Diana picture next to Sophie's - a very different 'energy' but strong ethnic resemblance. ;) Sophie looks just fine to me - and if there were a contest - I'd have to pick Sophie for outright beauty, and Diana for 'presentation'.

In fact, Sophie was criticized for waiting around for years to get a proposal
For some reason I have the memory that they were always engaged but very quietly. I seem to recall that they were finding themselves having to wait to marry because of all the turmoil happening around the Waleses' marriage throughout the 90's.

Once the engagement was announced there would follow a wedding soon after and this sequence was always getting impacted as I recall. Just as it might have happened - the decks seemed clear - there was the unexpected tragedy of Diana's death - so another understandable delay - and so it went.

When they finally did marry it was so low key because of all the upset of the previous years but I always felt that they had waited so long as a couple, that it wasn't Sophie waiting for Edward to ask..

Last edited by a moderator:
;) Sophie looks just fine to me - and if there were a contest - I'd have to pick Sophie for outright beauty, and Diana for 'presentation'.

I agree. I have always thought that Sophie was more beautiful than Diana. Her face is more symmetrical for starters, and her eyes sparkle and her smile is natural, not forced.

I haven't seen Sophie in person, but I have seen Diana in person. Photos don't really do her justice. She sparkled.

Sophie an and Diana could look similiar. They had the same colouring. Similiar features, although I agree, that Sophie's are more symetrical. I think Diana just had a little something that shone through.

Thanks for the welcome Windsorgirl!

Wow, I cannot even keep all the posts where you quoted my opinions straight. This was quite a dead thread before today...

For such a minor member of the royal family you guys seem to REALLY love her. I do not need to provide proof of my opinion and what my eyes see, but if I had access to those early pictures I would. SWessex even did the Diana mannerisms. Diana herself was horrified and mad at this. Lately and for some years she no longer does this and now is her own quite blah self.

I really do think Prince Edward nursing a crush on Diana from his boyhood was won over this way. I think Diana's starpower would have made quite an impression on young Edward.

I am not a Diana fan. I don't think she started out manipulative but certainly ended that way.

SWessex on the other hand posed the very first day she met Prince Edward hanging all over him. If I'm not mistaken she had her pr firm working on PE's foray into Real Tennis, a sport he was trying to revive. I don't call that subtle, down to earth, sweet, etc.

As for SWessex imagining she was being groomed to replace Diana (as was posted in the first of this thread) I think it is ridiculous. She was not marrying Prince Charles, so why would she be being groomed to fill her shoes. Most people had little clue who Edward was back then especially in North America so it wasn't a high profile relationship. Yet at the start of this thread it is reported that she told the fake sheik that all the men in the royal family were wanting her as a Diana replacement.

Ugh, I will have to read back more to answer more of what was said quoting my post.

Seems I'm the last one who should be called Hissy!!! LOL!

No evidence for this. You are assuming knowledge of Sophie's intentions. No evidence that she so intended.
Tyger SWessex would have to have been blind to not know EARLY ON in her relationship and marriage with PE that she was trying to dress like and copying the mannerisms of Diana. I do not have to assume anything I just have to open my eyes and see it. I do not care for Diana, but I cannot stand someone copying someone else's look. Sarah Ferguson, and all the other royal ladies back then did not feel the need to do that.

...Sophie, to me, is the exact opposite of Diana which is why she has become The Queens favourite daughter-in-law.
Where is the proof she is the Queen's favorite daughter in law? Just as you all ask me for "proof" where is yours? Unless the Queen goes on tv and says SWessex is my favorite daughter in law (or a fake sheik catches her saying it, hee hee!) it is just the impression you get (which by the way is vaild for everyone including me) or what "palace insiders" etc. sources say.

Hm, I think I was naive I was told posters on this board would try to club me to death, but I thought "nooooo...."

:previous::previous::previous::previous:
Just because someone does not share your opinion on a subject and the fact being that Lumutqueen might know a little more about the subject then you do...does not mean that they are trying to club you...

My opinion is different then yours too..and from many others on this forum ...if you stick a round a bit you may find you will learn things from the members that have been here longer ...

While I think the two women looked some what alike. I did not mean to empley in any way that Sophie tried to copy Diana ... I believe this is the last thing she would want to do. She is a smart cookie and knew before hand that the Queen and other members of the Royal Family did not like some of Diana's ways. She is a beautiful woman in her own right and has made her own way in a family that Diana lost herself in. She has seccesed where her two sister-in-laws have failed. She has endeared herself to her mother-in-law and the British people. IMO she may not shine like Diana but she has made her own leagacy.

Last edited:
So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!

Hi Warren

I think initially when I believe SWessex' PR firm, or one she was working for, secured the Real Tennis deal PE was trying to revive she dressed more "sporty" casual then she meets him. She somehow gets a photo with him where she is draped on him like they already have a relationship.

In her, or in the press, or in some friend she has, etc. there is the merest, tiniest mention of resemblance (probably because blonde, etc. though much shorter from what I see). After that it is all well timed press leaks and aiming for the Diana look until a while after the wedding. Re-watch the wedding even to see the Diana mannerisms she employed. Also reports that poor William was taken aback at this molded resemblance to his recently deceased mother.

I don't think Edward was aware of it but I can see how that would catch his interest she looked familiar to him, etc. very common in people they are attracted for better or worse to what is familiar to them. Plus all his other potential girlfriends before this were few and didn't get much attention. Suddenly the lesser known prince is getting press, which doesn't hurt Ardent Productions, or his profile. It must have been trying to be in the shadow of his older, married siblings. He seemed to be quite inexperienced with women as well.

Hi Lady Ann: you are one of the kinder ones, but yes, I make one post and I have been given baptism by fire demands of "proof" of my opinions and observations?

This thread was dead that is how much people really cared to talk of SWessex. I did not start this thread someone else did reporting on how Diana was furious at SWessex for trying to emulate her.

All I'm reading is a bunch of people who insist she is nice, pretty, hard working, scandal free, and of course the Queen's favorite all without any "proof". I just want people to respond intelligently and actually discuss things not just demand proof. Even if I showed a photo of Diana and Sophie dressed and styled exactly alike standing side by side I think most people would still be denying it. (Oh wait you did post almost that, LOL!)

I really get suspicious when people give blanket praise to anyone. People's adoration of SWessex should not be marred by me pointing out things and actually commenting on the reason this thread was started. I have not called her names or anything so why a mountain of posts "proving" how wonderful she is by merely writing it here???

I don't think she has any "legacy" other than she has royal children.

Last edited:
Re-watch the wedding even to see the Diana mannerisms she employed.

Could you describe what those mannerisms were, Hissy?

I think you should keep in mind that Diana and Sophie have a very similar ethnic resemblance: they are both English, have similar noses, coloring is similar, both are blond (though Sophie is, I think, a natural blond, Diana was a 'bottle blond'), both blue-eyed, etc.

Sophie was a professional woman, a business woman. She would have dressed well for her professional life - and its likely that it is the professional dressing you are saying she was copying Diana on? That would be all she would be copying Diana on - if she was - because she definitely wasn't dressing in the elegant evening gowns and the very provocative off-the shoulder wear Diana was wearing to openings and galas - correct?

Last edited:
I don't see where you are coming from. In the eleven years Sophie's been a member of the family I have not once seen her trying to imitate Diana. I remember seeing an interview once where she praised Diana and said she didn't see the resemblance between her and Diana. Sophie is her own person just as Diana was.

Well, again this is before they were married, at the wedding, and a while after. She is very plain compared to Diana. As the Queen is reported to have said basically SWessex attracts no attention, would go unnoticed in a room.

In any interview SWessex gives it is not likely she would admit trying to emulate anyone. I wonder if she was asked in this interview or if she brought it up herself? Lots of people fish for compliments by saying everybody says I look like (so and so famous person) yet then do the false modesty thing by saying: but I don't think so. Sure....

Also of course she would praise Diana even though I don't know how she could actually like some one who seemed to obviously hate her. If she said anything bad about Diana she would be bashed. Diana did a lot to terrorize the royal family yet made an impact that people are very protective of.

Yes SWessex seems to be her own person now, and it seems pretty unimpressive to me. I used to like Prince Edward but all the potential he had seemed to fizzle out when he got together with Sophie for good. :sad:

... I make one post and I have been given baptism by fire demands of "proof" of my opinions and observations?
Well, when you post your opinion you must be careful not to state it as a fact, Sophie may have made one or two mistakes in the begining of her Royal life, but then again no one is perfect. She has come full around.

As far as proof that she is the Queens favorite daugter-in-law. you just have to open your eyes and look...she is with the Queen offten, take this Christmas and sevral others for that matter. all the other members of the royal family member walked to the church and Sophile like so many time before was with the Queen. this is just one Im sure if you like other members of the forum could give you more.

yes, I did post the picture of two women who look alike and dressed in the style of the times as many other women did at that time.

What I ment by her having a legacy besides as you say her royal children is her charity work, royal engagements, and her endless devotion to the support of her husband and her Queen..by the way she is very good at.

Could you describe what those mannerisms were, Hissy?

I think you should keep in mind that Diana and Sophie have a very similar ethnic resemblance: they are both English, have similar noses, coloring is similar, both are blond (though Sophie is, I think, a natural blond, Diana was a 'bottle blond'), both blue-eyed, etc.

Sophie was a professional woman, a business woman. She would have dressed well for her professional life - and its likely that it is the professional dressing you are saying she was copying Diana on? That would be all she would be copying Diana on - if she was - because she definitely wasn't dressing in the elegant evening gowns and the very provocative off-the shoulder wear Diana was wearing to openings and galas - correct?

Wow, this thread is a full time job.

Yes, I will describe a couple of these mannerisms: one that generally looking up shyly, head cocked to the side, from under the brows.

Specifically at the wedding the turn to the crowd, etc. I was watching it thinking this person must have watched Diana's wedding obsessively.

This is not ethnic. Not every blonde does this. In fact when SWessex was doing this Diana had long given it up. If she was a professional woman why would she suddenly start acting like a 19 old girl, unless that girl was a girl named Diana.

Nobody sees SW recently in tiaras and evening dresses but for instance in their first official visit to Canada she copied Diana's dresses she first wore to Canada, including a costume for a local celebration, and if I'm not mistaken one of the actual tiaras that Diana wore of the Queens. I have tried to find these photos online but have not had much luck other than to find Diana's photos. If anyone has older royal books, or Majesty, etc. magazines you could find them.

Yet again I will say my response was to the start of this thread. Not the recent looks or behaviour of SW. As I said in my first post I had just read, and was commenting on, this entire thread where I am not the only person who has an opinion that SW does not walk on water. :bang:

IMO, there are some photos where Sophie's resemblance to the late Diana is uncanny. The one that comes to mind was one of their wedding photos -- exiting the church, I believe. I had not paid much attention to their engagement/wedding, but when I saw that photo, I think I gasped.

Yes KittyAtlanta, I am thrilled someone else admits this. It isn't such a horrid thing. When I would be glancing casually at my mother's royal magazines from years ago, I would give a double take to be sure. Of course I would never make that mistake now....

She is very plain compared to Diana. As the Queen is reported to have said basically SWessex attracts no attention, would go unnoticed in a room.

I am puzzled. Sophie is a very mature beauty. She is fully fleshed out. Up close - after the ethnic simlarities are noted - Sophie is her own distinct look/person, very unlike Diana. there can be no mistaking her for Diana.

Since her marriage, Sophie has had several difficult pregnancies. She has matured and it is etched on her face - in a good way.

The following pictures show her both 'dressed up' and as 'just her'. Not even a hint of Diana in these pictures IMO. (Both are well groomed - but completely different presentations - completely different kinds of people).

Last edited:
Lets take a look for the heck of it...I have I don't see it...I see a womam who kept out to the lime light and was exsposed to crowds of thounds..sorry! I think we should move on.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYboM-5zZyE

Last edited:
Ok, as I just wrote about again this is my thought on SWessex many years ago. Now I would not think she ever saw a photo of Diana even she is so the very very very opposite of Diana. So to write that below me writing I would never confuse them now shows that people are not even reading what I'm writing, or you'd have moved on by now.

Why it busts everyone's bubble so much is beyond me. I probably wouldn't have even looked at this thread again never mind posted because I don't have an interest in SWessex. I used to follow young Prince Edward and so was beginning with the first Wessex thread I saw. The subject was about how Diana suposedly threw a fit about Sophie copying her. I happen to agree. I did not write the article, I did not start this thread. This thread is entitled "Sophie and Diana's Relationship", not Sophie is the best thing ever and don't dare say anything different.

Quote by Lady Ann: As far as proof that she is the Queens favorite daugter-in-law. you just have to open your eyes and look...

And thank you for proving my point. I open my eyes and look as I have said over and over here that is my proof. How can people use my own argument to prove that I am wrong? You are just repeating what I said.

I was warned over an over about this it is hilarious and somehow sad that it is so true that this forum seems militant and sends people running screaming. You all are more upset than Sophie would be it seems. I could see if I were bashing anybody, or calling people names. I say I think Sophie copied Diana and that is the biggest problem? Why is that such a horrid thing to say someone did?

Obviously I am not just saying things are true, pictures prove it is true: again, again, again years ago.

As for now I don't know that she's a great wife, a good mother, or will have a legacy because she did some royal engagements. I guess I should have said she's a shining example of what a woman should be and not one person would have even noticed....

As for Swessex being a "mature beauty", I will never think so. Even the Queen doesn't think so and Sophie is her favorite as I am repeatedly told. I feel sorry for the rough pregnancies but lots of women have horrible pregnancies as well, or can never have their own children. All of this having to defend myself has made this thread very off topic. So I will end with: Yes I think Sophie copied Diana years ago. Yes I think Diana hated it and maybe threw more than one fit. Do I imagine she did it directly in front of the Queen Mother or the Queen to that extent: no. I did however see photos and news coverage of Diana and Sophie together and at least one that I recall Sophie being all teary eyed looking after talking to Diana. The press caught on. Yes I do think Diana, had she lived, would have done her best to run Sophie off.

Now everybody get ready cause I am searching for threads so I can tell you my thoughts on Charlene Wittstock, and Kate/Catherine ( wuuuwahhhhhaaaa!!!)

Last edited:
Personally, I was really enjoying the conversation. I regret that you experienced the posts as negative towards you, Hissy. But I can see how you experienced it - especially if you are new doing chat on a site - it takes a while to get acclimated for sure. Not saying that's the case with you but if it is I can see that the posting would have felt 'a lot'. Keep in mind that you don't have to respond to everyone - sometimes a person simply quotes in order to indicate the points that are being commented upon - its not intended to draw the quoted poster into a dialog, though such happens, and delightfully so usually. i learn a lot. I particularly have appreciated the request for sources and back-up on this Forum - makes the conversations rooted more in fact rather than gossip. But thats me.

For myself, I was debating the points (not you personally) and I enjoy lively conversation with varying opinions - which is what i felt was happening here, so.....:flowers:

Last edited:
The notion of Sophie looking like Diana came from the press. Once they got a look of Sophie, they immediately dubbed her the "Diana clone". The press started all of that nonsense. I recall reading that once Diana did reduce Sophie to tears upon meeting her, as she made a few unkind remarks to her. Diana, despite being an icon, could cut people down verbally. Diana could view people as a threat and I wouldn't be surprised as this is how she viewed Sophie and she was known to get very jealous and then become very immature as to how she handled her feelings.

Well, judging only from her looks in the beginning - Sophie was a Diana clone. Sure, as some pointed out, in the 90s women of this society dressed alike. But she had the same haircut as Diana and her facial features were very much alike. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone of the two women extremely beautiful and Sophie has the more symmetrical face, that's right, but she's still a bland beauty for me. I remember that we've already confused young Sophie with Diana in pictures at this forum and when I looked back at Sophie's picture thread, I was stunned by the resemblance. That's just me, other people may not see the resemblance. However, I don't know if Sophie did copy Diana on purpose or if she just liked the look. When it comes to their personalities, I think Diana and Sophie are/were very different. Actually, I like Sophie's down to earth (at least to me she appears so) and professional personality more. And talking about her style once again - I think she really developed her own style during the last years. :flowers:

Last edited:
I recall reading that once Diana did reduce Sophie to tears upon meeting her, as she made a few unkind remarks to her.

That's very interesting. I didn't know that she probably didn't like Sophie much? Do you remember why Diana made those unkind remarks to her and what she did say to Sophie?

Sophie simply dressed like a lot of women in the 1990s. I have photos of me wearing similar outfits - and I loathed Diana but wore them because they were the fashion (mine were cheap copies of course but the same design).

Sophie took her time to get to know Edward and I certainly don't see any evidence, or remember any evidence, of her deliberately trying to met Edward in order to marry him.

Last edited:
I have loved this conversation! This is an example of how the internet allows one to have conversations about stuff that you wouldn't have a chance to discuss in one's own milieu. I can guarantee you that were I to start 'talking Royalty' to the people in my context, they would stare blankly at me - and vaguely wonder about my priorities. :p I am loving it - because it gives me a chance to expand, expound and (another 'e' is failing me - oooh, losing the triple alliteration - shucks!) enlighten myself (I did it!) on topics of curious interest to me. So thank you all for being here! I am tickled! :flowers:

That said - I have to say that this whole thing about 'looking like' Diana (because she does, on quick glance, she does - or she can on quick glance but she is distinctive when you really look and especially as she has begun to 'settle' into middle age) does not mean Sophie was trying to look like her. That's the part I don't understand - why or how someone would fold that into her intentions given that Sophie is so opposite to Diana in personality and proclivities in significant ways.

I can also see that 'being like Diana' would not have really been the issue for Diana - that would have been a compliment were it so. I think what Diana saw - as has been said - was an attractive woman who could potentially supplant her (that would be her fear) or at least be her 'competition' (from her perspective). Jealousy reared its head - and a campaign against Sophie ensued - maybe. Had Morton said that Diana called him with the pivotol 'spin' on Sophie? Is that where it came from - from Diana herself to the media behind the scenes? Do we know?

What's interesting to me is that it seems that events involving Diana kept delaying Sophie's entry into the Royal family - am I not correct on that?

Lastly, I just want to say to those who are saying that Sophie (or even Diana) are not beautiful - dear God! if those two are not beautiful - if Sophie is just middling, a forgettable face in the crowd - what hope is there for the rest of us? :ermm: :D Ya know? ;)

Last edited:
That's very interesting. I didn't know that she probably didn't like Sophie much? Do you remember why Diana made those unkind remarks to her and what she did say to Sophie?

Did Diana need a reason to say unkind things? Not really - she would lash out at anyone who she felt like e.g. Tiggy Legge-Bourke and the abortion comment.

For such a minor member of the royal family you guys seem to REALLY love her. I do not need to provide proof of my opinion and what my eyes see, but if I had access to those early pictures I would. SWessex even did the Diana mannerisms. Diana herself was horrified and mad at this. Lately and for some years she no longer does this and now is her own quite blah self.

You're right that you don't have to provide evidence for your opinions, but when you state things as fact which quite clearly aren't, i'm going to ask for evidence for these "facts". How do you know she had Diana mannerisms, and it wasn't just Sophie being herself, how do you know that Diana was horrified?

SWessex on the other hand posed the very first day she met Prince Edward hanging all over him. If I'm not mistaken she had her pr firm working on PE's foray into Real Tennis, a sport he was trying to revive. I don't call that subtle, down to earth, sweet, etc.

Could you explain this point a little more? You're calling Sophie manipulative but I do not understand why?

As for SWessex imagining she was being groomed to replace Diana (as was posted in the first of this thread) I think it is ridiculous.

Do you know that this is what Sophie thought?

She was not marrying Prince Charles, so why would she be being groomed to fill her shoes. Most people had little clue who Edward was back then especially in North America so it wasn't a high profile relationship. Yet at the start of this thread it is reported that she told the fake sheik that all the men in the royal family were wanting her as a Diana replacement.

You're right, she wasn't marrying Prince Charles, why does it matter if he was known in North America or not, Prince Edward is a Prince in the United Kingdom. He's not close enough to the throne to need to be known elsewhere in the world.
"Reported" doesn't mean 100% solid truth, does it?

Tyger SWessex would have to have been blind to not know EARLY ON in her relationship and marriage with PE that she was trying to dress like and copying the mannerisms of Diana. I do not have to assume anything I just have to open my eyes and see it. I do not care for Diana, but I cannot stand someone copying someone else's look. Sarah Ferguson, and all the other royal ladies back then did not feel the need to do that.

Sophie and Diana had the same type of body shape, looks etc. So why is it that Sophie was copying Diana and not just simply choosing the things she wanted to where? Why assume the worst in someone?

Where is the proof she is the Queen's favorite daughter in law? Just as you all ask me for "proof" where is yours? Unless the Queen goes on tv and says SWessex is my favorite daughter in law (or a fake sheik catches her saying it, hee hee!) it is just the impression you get (which by the way is vaild for everyone including me) or what "palace insiders" etc. sources say.

It is common knowledge that Sophie is the Queens favourite, there have been several article on the subject, and just as you talk about mannerisms, the way HM acts around Sophie it is quite clear that the pair are close.

All I'm reading is a bunch of people who insist she is nice, pretty, hard working, scandal free, and of course the Queen's favorite all without any "proof".

1; Sophie is nice, pretty depends on how you interpret pretty, she is very hardworking, she isn't scandal free (who claimed she was?) and like I said common knowledge shows that she's the Queens favourite.

I just want people to respond intelligently and actually discuss things not just demand proof.

Are you saying the people who have responded to you are not intelligent?

I really get suspicious when people give blanket praise to anyone. People's adoration of SWessex should not be marred by me pointing out things and actually commenting on the reason this thread was started. I have not called her names or anything so why a mountain of posts "proving" how wonderful she is by merely writing it here???

I don't think she has any "legacy" other than she has royal children.

Where has someone given her blanket praise, other members of this forum are just countering your opinion, is there something wrong with that?
Does she need a legacy?

She is very plain compared to Diana. As the Queen is reported to have said basically SWessex attracts no attention, would go unnoticed in a room.

And that is a very very good thing, the last thing we need is another show off who doesn't know her place.

In any interview SWessex gives it is not likely she would admit trying to emulate anyone. I wonder if she was asked in this interview or if she brought it up herself? Lots of people fish for compliments by saying everybody says I look like (so and so famous person) yet then do the false modesty thing by saying: but I don't think so. Sure....

What interviews are you talking about here?

Also of course she would praise Diana even though I don't know how she could actually like some one who seemed to obviously hate her. If she said anything bad about Diana she would be bashed. Diana did a lot to terrorize the royal family yet made an impact that people are very protective of.

Diana "obviously" hated Sophie? I have never heard that. Has anyone else heard this?

Yes SWessex seems to be her own person now, and it seems pretty unimpressive to me. I used to like Prince Edward but all the potential he had seemed to fizzle out when he got together with Sophie for good. :sad:

What do you want? Another Diana?
You bash Sophie for trying to apparently emulate Diana, then you bash her again for not being impressive enough?

Ok,
Quote by Lady Ann: As far as proof that she is the Queens favorite daugter-in-law. you just have to open your eyes and look...

And thank you for proving my point. I open my eyes and look as I have said over and over here that is my proof. How can people use my own argument to prove that I am wrong? You are just repeating what I said.

Now everybody get ready cause I am searching for threads so I can tell you my thoughts on Charlene Wittstock, and Kate/Catherine ( wuuuwahhhhhaaaa!!!)

That was my go at humor...olol. Sometimes your words are your down fall..lol.. It happens to me all the time here ;) and i have been posting for nearly three years.

Opinion is open... people share and people don't argree, sometime it is best to simply agree to disagree. I will be looking forward to your thoughts on Kate Middleton.. I love a good go around. lol Happy posting and welcome to the forums. Remember not to take things to heart.

Last edited:
Sophie is the Queen's favorite daughter-in-law?

Well, probably, but considering the competition, that's not saying much in Sophie's favor.

Everybody else has plunged the BRF into scandal at one time or another; the milder criticisms that Sophie has provoked must seem a relief to the Queen! ;)

Last edited:
Did Diana need a reason to say unkind things? Not really - she would lash out at anyone who she felt like e.g. Tiggy Legge-Bourke and the abortion comment.

You may be right. I have to admit that I've never read a biography about Diana per se, I only know some of the stories as I've read a few biographies about the Queen. However, Diana appears quite nasty at times. I don't know if immaturity and emotional trouble are an excuse - I mean, I'm 25 and my life hasn't been easy at times, but that's no excuse to treat people like that. Then again, it is easy to judge people when you're an outsider.

Lastly, I just want to say to those who are saying that Sophie (or even Diana) are not beautiful - dear God! if those two are not beautiful - if Sophie is just middling, a forgettable face in the crowd - what hope is there for the rest of us? :ermm: :D Ya know? ;)

I think beauty is personal preference. They aren't ugly, but to me the woman in your avi, Maxima, is far more beautiful because she has a strong, vivid charisma. Others might find her plain. ;)

Last edited:
Well, again this is before they were married, at the wedding, and a while after. She is very plain compared to Diana.

Well Sophie to me is beautiful in her way but imo Diana was far more beautiful and her fashion sense by 97 was impeccable and timeless.

:previous: Yes, I have to say that Diana had a very different 'aura' (not sure if that's the right word, but that's how we say in German) compared with Sophie. I think to some it might be easier to 'identify' with Diana in an emotional way. Not that Sophie doesn't seem emotional, but with Diana it was different. Apart from their pure physical resemblance (IMO), they're quite different types to me.

Back
Top Bottom