The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke and Duchess of York separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996.
The Prince and Princess of Wales separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996.

The relationship between Sophie Rhys-Jones and Prince Edward gradually became serious in 1994 and would lead to their engagement and marriage, five years later. That means that Sophie and Edward engaged and married seven years (!) after the separations and three years after the divorces of Diana and Sarah.

This means that the first and careful steps of Sophie in the royal family took place when Diana and Sarah were both already side-tracked and on their way towards a formal divorce. It seems most unlikely to me that the both off them, in the middle of the ruins of their own spectacularly wrecked marriages, would mock and giggle young and insecure Sophie for her appearances.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Just want to add that the press during Diana/early Sophie was basically the same press that we have to day. So there was a lot of garbage reporting about their relationship. Put it through that filter, folks.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Gentry

Whether true or false or somewhere in between, there was plenty written about this in 1995-1996.

CUT & DRIED PROOF; Di copies ME says furious Sophie. - Free Online Library
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

The way that article was written... it fits an amateuristic school paper. Giving the timeline of the separations and divorces of Diana and Sarah versus the start of the relationship and the marriage of Sophie (7 years after the separation of Diana and Sarah) I guess there was limited interaction between the two and Sophie will have been wise enough to avoid these two outmanoeuvred and possibly resentful ladies.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post
Whether true or false or somewhere in between, there was plenty written about this in 1995-1996.

CUT & DRIED PROOF; Di copies ME says furious Sophie. - Free Online Library
if i read it correctly, this article is from the Mirror, which is a tabloid, i believe?

I'm sure tabloids have written just about everything about the british royals that you can imagine (and some things you can't imagine )
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Courtier

It's much ado about nothing from the press, as usual, I think. Given all that was going on in Diana's and Sarah's lives, I doubt they really gave much thought to Sophie. And, considering the timing at which Sophie started dating Edward, and the fact Sophie became close to his family, I don't think there would've been too much desire on her part to try to be like Diana (who, obviously, wouldn't have been particularly popular in the family at the time). The media always likes a good catfight, though, real or imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The way that article was written... it fits an amateuristic school paper. Giving the timeline of the separations and divorces of Diana and Sarah versus the start of the relationship and the marriage of Sophie (7 years after the separation of Diana and Sarah) I guess there was limited interaction between the two and Sophie will have been wise enough to avoid these two outmanoeuvred and possibly resentful ladies.
The "quote" from Sophie (to a "pal") sounds about like something a 12-year-old would say. It's clearly one of those cases in which the tabloids don't even care about whether or not it sounds plausible, they just wanted to see if they could get some mileage out of throwing Sophie into the mix with Diana and Sarah. I think, as you point out, Sophie was wise enough to steer clear of all that mess.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

The press and others like putting these royal women against each other in their writing. Sophie did look like Diana in those early years, but I don't think she tried to make herself look like her at all. Even Sophie went on to publically mention that she had to do double takes with her and Diana's pictures.

Most likely there was no bitterness between Diana and Sophie or with Sarah. Again, when it comes to writing about Diana, fiction pretty much takes over.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another thing that comes to mind is its been said that towards the end of the marriages, Diana and Sarah had a falling out and didn't speak to each other. I'm not sure of the time lime of that though.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Another thing that comes to mind is its been said that towards the end of the marriages, Diana and Sarah had a falling out and didn't speak to each other. I'm not sure of the time lime of that though.
I think they had a falling out around the time the separations happened, but then were close again for a little while after they were both officially separated. It didn't last too long, though, because I think Sarah has said that she and Diana hadn't spoken to each other for about two years before Diana died. So, I think during much of the time that Sophie was on the scene, Diana and Fergie weren't really talking. Sophie may have been a brief object of curiosity to them when she first started dating Edward, but I really can't imagine that their interest would have been anything more than fleeting.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Totally agree with your observation.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Majesty

I still come across pictures of Diana where she resembles Sophie. There's one fairly recent photo of Sophie in which she looks very much like Diana, and I don't think she would be copying the late Princess now. I think that there was always a certain resemblance. Sophie has always struck me as a confident person. A confident person doesn't need to copy someone else.

Definitely. Looks at how Richard Kay, at the Daily Mail, always tries to make everything about Diana. Princess Charlotte's christening was written about through the 'dear departed Diana' lense. The same publication makes snarky, class-based comments about the Middletons. They did the same thing with Sophie and her family. The difference was that Sophie's family wasn't wealthy and didn't go on holidays and didn't mix with the aristocracy. There wasn't so much to have class envy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Just want to add that the press during Diana/early Sophie was basically the same press that we have to day. So there was a lot of garbage reporting about their relationship. Put it through that filter, folks.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
The press and others like putting these royal women against each other in their writing. Sophie did look like Diana in those early years, but I don't think she tried to make herself look like her at all
When Sophie met Edward for the first time, she had a chin length bob. As soon as they became an item, she cut her hair and lightened it and began dressing more like Diana. And why not? Diana was a leader in fashion.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think it would be emulating Diana so much as dressing and looking along the lines of what was popular and trending at the time. A lot of women dressed similar to how Diana did.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Perhaps Sophie thought that a shorter haircut was more businesslike as well. The Diana look was still in style in the early 1990s. The fashion world influenced Diana's choices, and we dressed in the way that the leaders in society dressed. It's the way fashion works.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana was always conscious of her image and she may have been amused by what she probably regarded as Sophie 'copying' her, who knows.

I don't believe the much touted first meeting of Diana and Sophie, with Diana tearing poor Sophie to pieces, happened at all. The separation of Charles and Diana occurred at the end of 1992 with the formal announcement in the Commons. Sophie and Edward are believed to have met at a charity event in 1993, dating then becoming seriously involved later in that year.

I do think that Diana met Sophie at various functions after her separation and the two women were probably quite cordial. However, I don't think they could have been friends (or enemies) really.

In the last weeks before the formal separation Diana avoided Charles's company and that of his family like the plague, unless she absolutely had to be there in her position as Princess of Wales. There was a fight for instance about the children going down to Sandringham that autumn.

What happened before the separation would certainly have been duplicated afterwards as far as seeing the rest of the royal family was concerned. Diana was never really close to Edward, and when after 1993 would she have had many opportunities of meeting his girlfriend? Not many at all, IMO.

This is an article written just before Sophie and Edward's wedding which goes into the Diana and Fergie phenomenon and the royals' hopes for something different!

Profile: Sophie Rhys-Jones - At last a safe pair of hands - Voices - The Independent
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

I am farly sure that I've read in an Andrew Morton book that Diana didn't take to Sophie, and that Sophie, influenced by what the RF felt about Di then, didn't take to her. But she did seem to copy her look and there was a very slight similarty. Sophie is average looking adn Diana was striking. I beleive that Diana did mention that she had noted that Sophie was imitating her look
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Diana went to weddings of Edward's cousins David and Sarah in 93 and 94. However, I don't think Sophie went because that's pretty early for her to attend a wedding with the whole family there. So I don't think it's a guarantee that Diana and Sophie would have met and if so not in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Diana went to weddings of Edward's cousins David and Sarah in 93 and 94. However, I don't think Sophie went because that's pretty early for her to attend a wedding with the whole family there. So I don't think it's a guarantee that Diana and Sophie would have met and if so not in depth.

Sophie did attend Sarah and Daniel Chatto wedding in 94 was pictured with Diana for the first time-
https://juliapgelardi.wordpress.com/...l-chatto-1994/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/110619734570316437

Remember when Edward and Sophie started to date, she was pretty much welcomed by the royal family very early on. She attended events with the family and vacationed with the family on Britannia and at Balmoral. I think Sophie was first Royal girlfriend that was pictured with the family freely.

Diana and Sophie saw each other at private family gatherings. Don't think they knew each other all that well though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Sarah and Edward grew up together being only a couple of months apart in age. I believe Sarah is Louise's godmother. So it makes sense that Edward could bring his girlfriend without being engaged. Sarah's wedding wasn't a heavy protocol event.

Maybe after what happened with Andrew and Charles's marriages, the royals started to let the girlfriends get a better look at Royal life and the family before joining. It's stared with Sophie and we saw it continue with Kate. Even Chelsy got a little bit of it.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Sarah and Edward grew up together being only a couple of months apart in age. I believe Sarah is Louise's godmother. So it makes sense that Edward could bring his girlfriend without being engaged. Sarah's wedding wasn't a heavy protocol event.

Maybe after what happened with Andrew and Charles's marriages, the royals started to let the girlfriends get a better look at Royal life and the family before joining. It's stared with Sophie and we saw it continue with Kate. Even Chelsy got a little bit of it.

Sophie was welcomed by the family very early on and was pictured with them on a regular bases. William and Catherine conducted their relationship more privately, so she wasn't pictured and included with the family in the same way. Sophie was pretty much welcomed as a daughter-in law by The Queen and Prince Philip before her marriage into the family.

I think it's one of the reasons why Sophie have two Knighthoods from The Queen pretty much early on. Their personal relationship goes back to the early 90's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex