The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

The statement says 'in the public gardens at KP', so I guess everyone can see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_okid92AyBJ1qk8ze6o1_1280.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	300040  

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope it is based on something like this, because this is her legacy

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...ure-id52101728

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Nobility

An utter and complete waste of money. Money that could do so much more good if it were used for just about anything else.

Diana's legacy is so over-stated as to be laughable. I could name about 100 people more deserving of a statue than Diana. I despair, I really do.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Nobility

What would be the point?

Many people in Britain and around the world will go to bed hungry tonight but people actually think spending thousands and thousands of £ on a statue of a woman who did some charity work (like millions of people all over the globe) makes sense.

Our priorities are all wrong.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
What would be the point?

Many people in Britain and around the world will go to bed hungry tonight but people actually think spending thousands and thousands of £ on a statue of a woman who did some charity work (like millions of people all over the globe) makes sense.

Our priorities are all wrong.
It's about her two sons preserving her legacy, PetticoatLane. The statue is long overdue, but it's the right thing. I would also like to see a foundation set up in her name. Something like the Princess Grace Foundation.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is a very public campaign going on for The Diana Award with a special Legacy Award planned for 2017 to honor the 20th anniversary of their mother's death. Both boys have actively worked to keep their mother's legacy alive through their own personal charity endeavors.

Princes William and Harry support The Diana Award in honour of her 20th death anniversary | Daily Mail Online

The statue is being commissioned by William and Harry and private funding. They have the right to spend their money on whatever pleases them and if its a statue to honor their late mother, that is their choice. I kind of think a statue similar to this picture I found would not only be appropriate but also signify the closeness, the love and the special bond between a mother and her two sons.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...05_468x642.jpg
Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I hope it is based on something like this, because this is her legacy

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...ure-id52101728
Before I clicked on the link I thought it would be that scene.
Totally fitting.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the idea of a statue and it also gives George and Charlotte a visual of their grandmother.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its wonderful this is finally happening lovely for her sons and grandchildren
Anyone who has a problem with this needs to take a good long look at what their problem really is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps the problem some have stated against the statue was the misconception that this statue would somehow be commissioned and sculpted out of funds that could be alloted elsewhere rather than the private funds of Diana's sons and whomever else "private funding" involves.

The main focus though is that there's a public campaign for The Diana Award which, I believe, is a good cause and a good way to mark the 20th anniversary of Diana, Princess of Wales' passing.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as I'm concerned a statue is a lovely way to commemorate Diana's memory on this, the twentieth anniversary of her death. My one concern with statues is that birds love them and they are often splattered with bird poo! This is important to William and Harry otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, and part paying for it, with other individuals. I'm just as glad though that her two sons are continuing her memories by being patrons of her charities.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As far as I'm concerned a statue is a lovely way to commemorate Diana's memory on this, the twentieth anniversary of her death. My one concern with statues is that birds love them and they are often splattered with bird poo! This is important to William and Harry otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, and part paying for it, with other individuals. I'm just as glad though that her two sons are continuing her memories by being patrons of her charities.
I share your concern about the birds Curryong and for some reason I could see Diana laughing about it as well.

Like you said it must be important to the brothers or else we wouldn't see one being commissioned.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I like the idea of a statue and it also gives George and Charlotte a visual of their grandmother.
Me too. The fountain is a real disappointment.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I share your concern about the birds Curryong and for some reason I could see Diana laughing about it as well.

Like you said it must be important to the brothers or else we wouldn't see one being commissioned.

I can't help but think all the work they have been doing with mental health has given them the courage to say what they want. Wasn't it Harry that said before he wasn't encouraged to talk about how he felt.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Diana memorial statue 'a long time coming' - BBC News

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is a statue a long time coming? Not every famous person gets one.

George and Charlotte don't need a visual of their grandmother. There are plenty of photos and portraits of her. Plenty of memories for dad to share. The same way other kids learn of dead grandparents.

I am honestly disappointed. I was happy they weren't wasting their money on a concert. That they were doing awards to help kids which was a real honor to her memory. A poop covered statue or a scholarship, which do you think is actually a memorial to Diana?

It's not like it's a building? I'd rather a building. Donate money to one of the hospitals she was involved in and put her name on it. Take George and Charlotte to visit the ward, and see the picture likely hung. Establish a school in Africa with her name on it. All better uses of money then a statue.

There is a reason statues aren't made much any more. Upkeep, weather damage, bird poop....many people see them as a waste of money.

Other then her son's Diana is fading. Newer generations don't know her.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's what her sons want so your opinion doesn't count.
After all they have been through if they want a statue good for them.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

George and Charlotte font need a visual of their grandmother. There are plenty of photos and portraits of her. Plenty of memories fir dad to share. The same way other kids learn of dead grandparents.

I am honestly disappointed. I was happy they weren't wasting their money in a concert. That they were doing awards to help kids which was a real honor to her memory. A poop covered statue or a scholarship, which do you think is actually a memorial to Diana?

It's not like it's a building? I'd rather a building. Donate money to one of the hospitals she was involved in and put her name on it. Take George and Charlotte to visit the ward, and see the picture likely hung. Establish a school in Africa with her name on it. All better uses of money then a statue.

There us a reason statues aren't made much any more. Upkeep, weather damage, bird poop....many people see them as a waste of money.

Many people were thinking that a statue would've been a great honor for her many years ago.

A concert wouldn't have been a waste of money, when it's done to raise money for charity.

The statue is just part of celebrating her life this year.

I think it's very appropriate to introduce Diana to the new generation and keep her memory alive. The Diana Award is already doing this.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Nobility

This is not just another rich person spending money. This is apparently being done to commemorate Diana's charity work. Wasting thousands of pounds, which could be used to do some more of the kind of charity work Diana is apparently being commemorated for, on a statue that'll help no one is just plain wrong.

She already has a massive fountain built in her honour at huge expense, at least one charity in her name and a huge pop concert was held in her honour - in Wembley Stadium no less! Are we to expect ever more grandiose memorials at the 25th anniversary, then the 30th, the 40th and the 50th?

I volunteer at least 2 days a week in a women's refuge. Everyone who does works full time as well. We've all been spending our own money to try and keep it going because the govt funding doesn't cover its expenses. What we couldn't do with the £50k-100k that'll be wasted on this piece of cold marble that'll spend most of its time covered in pigeon excrement.

If this makes me a preachy drama queen then I'll wear that badge with honour.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

George and Charlotte font need a visual of their grandmother. There are plenty of photos and portraits of her. Plenty of memories fir dad to share. The same way other kids learn of dead grandparents.

I am honestly disappointed. I was happy they weren't wasting their money in a concert. That they were doing awards to help kids which was a real honor to her memory. A poop covered statue or a scholarship, which do you think is actually a memorial to Diana?

There us a reason statues aren't made much any more. Upkeep, weather damage, bird poop....many people see them as a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I hadn't realised I was being 'preachy' or throwing a 'hissy fit'. Thank goodness I have you to set me straight.

This is not just another rich person spending money. This is apparently being done to commemorate Diana's charity work. Wasting thousands of pounds, which could be used to do some more of the kind of charity work Diana is apparently being commemorated for, on a statue that'll help no one is just plain wrong.

She already has a massive fountain built in her honour at huge expense, at least one charity in her name and a huge pop concert was held in her honour - in Wembley Stadium no less! Are we to expect ever more grandiose memorials at the 25th anniversary, then the 30th, the 40th and the 50th?

I volunteer at least 2 days a week in a women's refuge. Everyone who does works full time as well. We've all been spending our own money to try and keep it going because the govt funding doesn't cover its expenses. What we couldn't do with the £50k-100k that'll be wasted on this piece of cold marble that'll spend most of its time covered in pigeon excrement.

If this makes me a preachy drama queen then I'll wear that badge with honour.
I agree with you both. Unfortunately, I think this has been in the works for awhile. I remember reading an article back in 2010 or 2011, that said William and Harry were planning a 100,000 statue of Diana to be built in the future.

I don't understand their logic. You would think after that silly bronze statue of Diana and Dodi was built in 2005 by Dodi's father, that they would see how frivolous this kind of tribute is. If they wanted something artistic to honor their mother, maybe do something with the ballet, like fund a production. Diana loved ballet. Seriously, almost anything would have been better than a vacuous statue.