Harry and Meghan Are Expecting, Baby Due Spring 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the other reason for the saltiness is the controlled environment for this photo call. The line of questioning is controlled: no gotcha questions about the Cambridges and the Markles.

They might be a pain, but they aren’t going to ask about Markles to their faces. In fact, a photo call with random questions shouted would allow them to pretend they didn’t hear anything even if someone does. I doubt the Markles are crossing their minds much these days. They’ve pretty much run out of steam. It is what it is at this point.

Last edited:
I just wish everyone would calm down. We’re days away from getting the big news of a labor, a baby announcement and a Windsor photocall. We go a lot to look forward to. Just imagine how excited and nervous Meghan and Harry are right now.

Please note that this thread has been cleaned up. Bickering, back and forth arguing about other royals' post-natal appearances have been deleted. Disrupting the thread just to point-score and get the last word in is unacceptable and such conversations should take place by PM.

Other posts containing conspiracy theories and ignoring the previous Mod note (and subsequent responses) have also been deleted. This thread is about Harry and Meghan, not about the media - the discussion should concentrate on what members here think, not about what journalists or the media think.

Last edited:
No matter which decision Harry & Meghan were going to make regarding their baby’s birth was going to be criticised.

Hospital photocall- Too 'Hollywood'.Minor royals abusing of UK taxpayers.

No hospital photocall- We have to see him/her as they are royal. My taxes have paid for that baby

Also I do not appreciate the fact that people are putting thus all in Meghan. Both her and Harry came to this decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's unfair to dismiss the disappointment of people who were hoping for a public appearance. Besides the press, there were a lot of ordinary people who went to the Lindo Wing to see the Cambridge babies in person and "feel a part of the joy of a new baby".

And that's not unreasonable to want, because as much as these two humans as "Meghan and Harry" are private people, they also embody the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and exist within a particular structure of mutual obligations. The nation agrees that the Duke and Duchess are able to live *very* comfortably in beautiful surroundings, do relatively little work compared to the average Joe working a 40-60 hour work week, and largely pursue things that interest them. In return, the Duke and Duchess, as part of the institution of the monarchy, exist as symbols for the nation; they pursue philanthropic issues and there is a very reasonable expectation that they be seen. So yes, if the average Londoner was really hoping to go to the hospital and demonstrate their support and joy for the new baby, it's churlish to completely deny them a sense of disappointment.

"Meghan and Harry" will always be in conflict with "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". That's just part of the bargain.

Maybe this is an effort to deny the press their crazed coverage. But the people who're actually going to be saddened by this will be the average people who just wish Harry and Meghan happy, and I think that's a bit sad.

But none of this means any woman should feel obligated to put on a perfect, happy appearance just hours after giving birth. I could understand if they weren't planning to show themselves or the baby at all but that isn't the case.

But none of this means any woman should feel obligated to put on a perfect, happy appearance just hours after giving birth. I could understand if they weren't planning to show themselves or the baby at all but that isn't the case.

I don’t understand why some people keep insisting that Meghan would have had to be seen “just hours after giving birth.” Leaving the hospital that quickly was a choice Kate made for herself with her second and third children. Generally women are allowed to stay in the hospital for 2 days after a natural birth.

I agree with hel’s post. It isn’t wrong to be a little disappointed when expecting one thing, but it is something else different from expectations. And this is the grandchild of a future King, so not totally private and anonymous.

I do understand not wanting to face the wall of the press that gathers these days outside the hospital for a Royal birth. And if they are going to a hospital or have one in an emergency backup plan, that hospital may be happy to not have the press disturbing other patients, visitors and staff.

Last edited:
I agree with hel’s post. It isn’t wrong to be a little disappointed when expecting one thing, but it is something else different from expectations. And this is the grandchild of a future King, so not totally private and anonymous.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s wrong to be a little disappointed. The issue has always been the criticism beyond that and the how dare them (or her more specifically, which is a separate issue here). Multiple people have expressed they are a bit disappointed, but completely understand why they came to this decision. And I agree with you about the disruption on the hospital with press camped out there. The thing is we will get a photocall. It just won’t be at the hospital and it will be done in a calmer manner. Given it’s Windsor, it’ll probably be more picturesque with than a hospital. :lol:

And I understand it’s slightly different. But I don’t know if it’s worse. What are we missing out here really? Nothing. They will use the rota system, so everyone will get the photos and footage. The only thing they took away is the chaos and disruption to others. I do think it’s good to review why things are done and if the how can be improved once in awhile. The photo call outside of the hospital has grown well beyond what it originally is. And I think an option that will still share the joy with public (keeping the good of the photocall), but without the disruption to other patients and the new baby is a good consideration as well.

Also I do not appreciate the fact that people are putting thus all in Meghan. Both her and Harry came to this decision. It is wrong to takeaway Harry's agency just because of his previous transgressions.

I thought about saying something regarding this yesterday. I agree the narrative continue to be troubling. She breaks with tradition, she’s snubbing whatever. What about Harry? I don’t think we can say he’s without a say here. And it’s not out the realm of possibility he wouldn’t want the madness. It’s pretty in line with him actually.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why some people keep insisting that Meghan would have had to be seen “just hours after giving birth.” Leaving the hospital that quickly was a choice Kate made for herself with her second and third children. Generally women are allowed to stay in the hospital for 2 days after a natural birth.

I do understand not wanting to face the wall of the press that gathers these days outside the hospital for a Royal birth. And if they are going to a hospital or have one in an emergency backup plan, that hospital may be happy to not have the press disturbing other patients, visitors and staff.
"Generally women are allowed to stay in the hospital for 2 days after a natural birth."

Two days for a normal birth are a bit unneccessary unless there are severe complications. Otherwise you are home after several hours/end of the day/early next morning, depending on the time of delivery.
Only when you had special medical aides like spinal injections (and of course with the ceasarian births) that you stay longer.

And maybe Meghan wants to have the choice to leave after a few hours or a day without having to smile for the cameras. Maybe she just wants to settle in at home first. Is that bad?

There is nothing wrong with being disappointed. But the idea that the public is owed a hospital photocall or that Harry and Meghan should be happy to do one because of the privileges they have is a bit much, to say the least.

"Generally women are allowed to stay in the hospital for 2 days after a natural birth."

Two days for a normal birth are a bit unneccessary unless there are severe complications. Otherwise you are home after several hours/end of the day/early next morning, depending on the time of delivery.
Only when you had special medical aides like spinal injections (and of course with the ceasarian births) that you stay longer.

At least in the US, 2 days is the norm. I believe complications may not be always immediately obvious.
I was bored silly when I had to stay that long-I had two geriatric pregnancies with very easy labors and natural deliveries but I’m sure the enforced rest was good for me.

Reactions: hel

That's not true. Especially with first birth. Can someone share with us the normal guideline in UK? I know in US, women are now kept for 2-3 days after a natural birth and insurance, who is notorious for being difficult and cheap, have to pick up the tab.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is indeed twins. She seemed to get a bump very quickly and was huge the last time we seen her. Twins are also quite common for women in her age group.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is indeed twins. She seemed to get a bump very quickly and was huge the last time we seen her. Twins are also quite common for women in her age group.

Honestly, I thought it's twins for the longest time since her bump grew pretty quickly. :lol: In fact, most of us thought it was either twins or she was weeks past her 12 weeks at the time of the announcement. But looking now, I think it's just one. I didn't find her bump to be unusually large last time we saw her.

And in the off chance that it is twins, I would think any chance of home birth would be completely out. Although the more I think about it, the more I wonder if we'll ever find out where she gave birth. On one hand, they'd want to, and should, thank the facility and staff. But then, I would think they might want to keep the next one.

Last edited:

Not in the US. Moms, even if it was an easy birth, stay at least 36-48 hours.

Maybe it’s state by state thing, but I had a natural birth with no complications and was allowed to leave after 24 hours. As were a number of the new moms. 2-3 day is definitely not the guideline everywhere.

It depends in the UK how straight forward the birth is. But if baby is born in the morning they will try to have you home by evening. Later in the day the baby is born the more likely they are to keep you in for the night. But in a straigjt forward case no more than one night. But you have to have a seat for the car before they let you home.

There is community care though and in most cases, but not all, your midwife will visit you the next day to help settle the baby. But that is not universal and depends where you live.

They don't want to keep you in hospital though anymore than necessary.

My sister gave birth to her first child at 4 am.. and was back at home by noon.

In Portugal it used to be 3 days in the hospital for natural birth and 7 days for cesarean. But, I'm not sure how it works nowadays.

Honestly, I thought it's twins for the longest time since her bump grew pretty quickly. :lol: In fact, most of us thought it was either twins or she was weeks past her 12 weeks at the time of the announcement. But looking now, I think it's just one. I didn't find her bump to be unusually large last time we saw her.

And in the off chance that it is twins, I would think any chance of home birth would be completely out. Although the more I think about it, the more I wonder if we'll ever find out where she gave birth. On one hand, they'd want to, and should, thank the facility and staff. But then, I would think they might want to keep the next one.

For Meghan....I think because of her body type (shorter torso and longer legs) the baby had to go outward when it grew so it made her look like she was either further along or having twins.... but I think it is only one baby now.

For hospital stays related to pregnancy in the area that live it is typically 1-2 days for natural birth and 2-5 days for c-sections. Of course if someone wants to leave earlier and it's okay with the physician that can happen as well.

Home births are safe when attended by professional midwives or physicians. Complications requiring urgent intervention can be avoided or detected early with expert monitoring. In fact, in North America, laboring mothers are sometimes continuously over-monitored with electronic monitoring; this is statistically more likely to lead to unnecessary caesarean sections. Early discharge (within several hours of giving birth) is very safe (get mother and baby away from places where infections start and allow the family to start life with baby) as long as midwives/nurses visit and assess the mother's recovery and the baby's health. They will also provide support for breastfeeding.

So-allow the mother and father their choices. If Meghan wants to stay with her baby at home for weeks before presenting it to the public, that is up to her and the decision should be respected. The baby will be seen in due time.

That would be so AWESOME!!! Wouldn't that be a great surprise!!

All of this discussion over the decisions made by Meghan and Harry in regards to the birth of their child reminds me so much of why I feel sometimes that high profile royals are not truly seen as human beings but rather marionettes being pushed and pulled and made to dance to the tune of public opinion fueled by whatever is put out there as an outrage, a travesty, a break in tradition and I'm sure I could think of quite a few more.

We've seen this situation often. What comes immediately to mind is the roar of outrage "Where Is Our Queen??" in the aftermath of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Personally, there is nothing that starts a family off right than mom and dad and the new infant being alone or including older children, bonding, able to emote over the moon at baby's first smile (some say its gas) and even changing a diaper for the first time is a loving experience. Its time for the grandparents and Gan-Gan to be included in the nest and once things have settled, it'll be time enough to present their child to the waiting world. The public doesn't always need to come first no matter what they want. ;)

Every woman's experience with pregnancy and childbirth is unique, why should other women's choices have any bearing on what Meghan chooses to do? Her body, her choice. Would a two-day wait really be such a hardship for the British public?

It wont bother me, but it may bother her fans who seem very keene on discussing every detail about her.. and want to see the baby.

What Harry and Meghan want and need trump whatever disappointment anyone's feeling, IMO. If you care about these two, then you get over any feelings of disappointment as they get to decide what's best for them and their baby - especially since soon enough they will share their little one with the world.

I thought I read in another post that people hung out in the hospital waiting for the Cambridge babies to be born..... I'm sorry, but that's crossing not just one line, but several......

It wont bother me, but it may bother her fans who seem very keene on discussing every detail about her.. and want to see the baby.

Everyone will get a chance to see the little Sussex crumb snatcher.

Regarding the discussion surrounding usual discharge. In the UK normal deliveries with no complications can actually go home within 6 hours. (I’m a midwife by the way.) The baby needs to have a newborn baby check done to assess their hips, eyes and to check for heart murmurs. This can be done from 2-4 hours from birth. Some babies need to stay in for 12-24 hours infection observations if meconium (baby’s first poo) is present in their waters or if their waters are been broken for more than 24 hours.

C sections can actually be discharged the next day if the woman chooses to do so, although most women stay in for 2 days to get their pain under control.

Another factor that doesn’t always allow women to be discharged immediately is baby’s feeding. First time mums and babies can often find breast feeding tough - not all newborns do it well! I’m not saying that Meghan is or isn’t breast feeding but judging by her reported interest in all things natural, I would imagine breast feeding is on her agenda.

And yet, we aren’t the ones dishing out the criticism. Most are understanding, even if slightly disappointing. If you want to criticize her, that’s your prerogative. Don’t do it on our account.

Regarding the discussion surrounding usual discharge. In the UK normal deliveries with no complications can actually go home within 6 hours. (I’m a midwife by the way.) The baby needs to have a newborn baby check done to assess their hips, eyes and to check for heart murmurs. This can be done from 2-4 hours from birth. Some babies need to stay in for 12-24 hours infection observations if meconium (baby’s first poo) is present in their waters or if their waters are been broken for more than 24 hours.

C sections can actually be discharged the next day if the woman chooses to do so, although most women stay in for 2 days to get their pain under control.

Another factor that doesn’t always allow women to be discharged immediately is baby’s feeding. First time mums and babies can often find breast feeding tough - not all newborns do it well! I’m not saying that Meghan is or isn’t breast feeding but judging by her reported interest in all things natural, I would imagine breast feeding is on her agenda.
Thanks for filling us in on the UK’s procedures.
Re: twins, my niece (fit, late 20s) had twins and she was huge by the end, plus the babies came a month early. Meghan seems a bit large for a single, but too small for twins to me, but every woman carries differently, indeed, each pregnancy looks different.

I was gone yesterday when all this broke ....I have to say I don't see an issue ...would it of been neat to see them on the steps leaving? Yes. Does it matter? No. She's not going into seclusion for weeks (IIRC Edward wasn't seen in public for 3 months or so)..we will get pics (and a name I hope) within a few days or so.

Why isn't that enough? This is the puzzle for me. Do we really want to basically bully a woman into dressing up like she's going to work hours after birth? Having had three kids I would of told you to get stuffed if you would of told me I needed to do this.

Let them be...we will get pics and probably a few comments. What more do you want?

LaRae

Oh forgot to say...I suspect that private hospital in Windsor may be where she has the baby...I think home birth could happen but not expecting it really.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the lack of plans is down to her preferring a home birth. With a home birth you have to accept that you might have to be transferred to hospital. Plus if she goes 14 days overdue the practice in the UK is to induce labour which would be in hospital. So really they aren’t in a position to make specific plans for photos etc. The logistics just don’t work. I for one am pleased that she is getting to chose how and where she gives birth just like any other woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom