General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely photos! A wonderful bonding day for the three brothers. Joachim has 3 handsome sons, Nikolai seems to have grown up so quickly.

Thanks Muhler!
Where is this Villa Joachim?

:previous: That's J&M current home. It hasn't got an official name and Emiliekildevej may be something of a mouthful for most, so why not Villa Joachim?

Reactions: eya
Looking very sexy I must say. ;)
Nice seeing him attend with his cousin Gustaf and Carinna.
Marie's birthday was in February right? Celebrate all year why not lol.

Perfect weather for a garden party this weekend. The temperature hasn't dropped below 14 degrees C at night = 57 F.

The evening-dew doesn't even fall before around midnight these days. So it's summer big-time right now!
With the sky being almost bright as day until 23.00.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2016.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you may remember our Marie wanted to celebrate her 40th birthday in the summer and that's what she did. And since Joachim's birthday was this Tuesday I guess he was celebrated as well.
Anyway, the weather was fantastic Saturday at Villa Joachim on Emiliekildevej when a little more than 100 guests arrived.
The house is surrounded by high hedges and shielded by neighbors so hardly saw anything apart from the guests arriving.
In fact a few of the guests arrived early, prior to 16.00 and had to wait a little while for the gate to be opened, but then they started to trickle in.

The theme of the party was Nikki Beach Style - which stems from Saint-Tropez and Ibaza and it's defined by wearing white clothes and hanging around in white lounge furnitures in white cabanas (have no idea what cabanas is). Frederik, judging from the photos, appears to be among the few who nailed the style - or perhaps he was just, I'm not sure...

The dance troupe Pivot had been hired to provide entertainment and that was also according to the theme. Mette Louise Just Kryger from Pivot explains: "Princess Marie herself had wished for the party in our entertainment being in best Nikki Beach Style. Princess Marie would like for our show to kick-start the party and that's why our dancing costumes were a little cheeky/saucy/kinky/naughty".
When the dance show ended confetti was spread all over the garden.

The dinner and speeches were done by 19.30 and that's when the dancing started.
However, even before that a grumpy neighbor ringed on the gate-phone and requested the music being turned down.

As you know Mary was in Fredericia 200 km away, with the Home Guard, so she wasn't with Frederik. But Gustav and Carina from Berleburg went with him.
So was Countess Alexandra and hordes of the Wedell-Wedellsborg clan.
The very close friends of J&M, the Siesbye's and Scherfig's were there as well.
As well as Marie's hairdresser and stylist, Dennis Knudsen.
(Dennis Knudsen has closed his hairdresser salon but he will still take care of Marie's hair and presumably Alexandra's as well, since he in an article recently said he chosen her and cut the connection to Martin Jørgensen - without going into too many details).

Don't know when the party ended, but as the temperature that night didn't go below 16 C (60 F), they could easily have slept outside, as long as they remained under cover. - Something the home guardsmen at Fredericia were no doubt grateful for!

Anyway, see for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/irwnh50feht30b4lfa7tonyhg53kot8m

-----------------

:previous: Yes, it was a very tired Prince who gave an interview there, while trying to stay awake. :coffee:

Joachim explains later in the video that his son fell unconscious when they came home. :sleeping:

Last edited:
The mood appears to have been very merry at the recent party! Naboerne fik nok af prinsesse Maries 40 år fødselsdagsfest: Politiet kom på uventet besøg

The party started at 17.00 and shortly after the music was turned on, high.
Se & Hør quote a woman who was walking her dog for saying: "I'll soon/on the verge/consider call the police. There is such a terrible noise in the whole area".

Another neighbor went to the gate-phone (is that what you call it in English?) to ask for the music to be turned down. - In vain.

Then around 00.40 a patrol car from the police turned up and parked a few meters from the gate.

The police confirms that there were two complaints about the noise. "We then ascertained that there was no music when the patrol-car arrived".

And indeed shortly before the police arrived, the music had been turned down and a few minutes after the police drove off again, the first guests started to leave.

- The general rules here in DK is that, within reason, it's okay to play loud music during weekends until 22-23 and then turn the music off. Of course provided that it doesn't happen every weekend.
But after midnight, then you can expect the police to drop by and in more serious cases they simple seize the stereo.
So most people who are having a party usually drop a note to the neighbors that on this and this day, we will be holding a party and sorry for any inconveniences. That usually does it. - Give and take, within reason.
I'd say ringing the doorbell around 18.00 is perhaps a little too sensitive, while keep playing loud outside past 23.00 is a sure way to really annoy your neighbors!

Reactions: eya
:previous: thanks Muhler
I would call it an intercom.

I guess things got festive at Villa Joachim. ;)

Thanks Muhler!!!! Because i don't like this name villa Joachim can i call Villa Athena?????

:lol: Why not? That's even more stylish and the impression I have of mademoiselle Athena is that she rules!

And as on queue here is a BT article focusing in particular on Joachim's workload, or lack of it as it is claimed in the article. Så få dage arbejder han: Joachims driverliv

BT has calculated the number of workdays for the individual members of the DRF for the first six months of 2016, whether an event has lasted a few hours or it was a full day event.
Being Regent or Rigsforstander has not been counted in. - Nor has time at the office.
I.e. only events where they have been seen out and about is counted.

Joachim is getting some heat.

But I think I'll leave the details to someone else, lest someone should think I'm biased. ;)

So the CP who has only done 55 duties is OK because he did a photo call :ermm: But his brother who on top of duties, works a part time job in defense, gets flack for only doing 30:bang: It would be like calling Edward lazy because he doesn't carry out as much as Charles.

As for the defense 'he has only done 2 engagements' :ohmy: These reporters do realize this is not a ceremonial position where he is going to be out in the public eye everytime he works right??? Just because he doesn't live in the capital doesn't mean he doesn't work.

The reality though, beyond the defense work, any 'planning' isn't taken into account because how can it? They don't punch a time clock. There is no evidence how much planning any royal does for an event beforehand, and what is done by staff. At least an actual job, like defense or flying, there is a concrete set.

And as on queue here is a BT article focusing in particular on Joachim's workload, or lack of it as it is claimed in the article. Så få dage arbejder han: Joachims driverliv

BT has calculated the number of workdays for the individual members of the DRF for the first six months of 2016, whether an event has lasted a few hours or it was a full day event.
Being Regent or Rigsforstander has not been counted in. - Nor has time at the office.
I.e. only events where they have been seen out and about is counted.

Joachim is getting some heat.

But I think I'll leave the details to someone else, lest someone should think I'm biased. ;)

It's always hard to get an exact number. The counting of events can be difficult when not everything is placed on the calendar . In other families every single meeting is placed on the calendar with or without pictures.
I don't agree them not counting the regent days for Frederik and Joachim. This is a big part of their calendar that limits them in ways. Also the audiences and meetings.

With that said, yes I think Joachim needs to work more. Have some issues and themes to focus on.
The reason for the move to Copenhagen was given so he can focus more on the royal duties, that has not happen..

Regarding the graph, it should be noted that they have only counted on engagement per day of official visits and visits with Dannebrog – and during most official visits QMII, Mary and Frederik generally do multiple engagements per day.

I think this is a very valid discussion to have. And make no mistake, while BT undoubtedly did this piece to sell papers, it also largely reflects the views of the general public – what's the point of funding Joachim when he doesn't seem to bother giving anything in return? Joachim and Marie hold part-time "consulting jobs" with the Danish Defence and the DEMA, respectively, both of which seem like de facto jobs meant as some sort of poor damage control to the criticism they've faced since moving away from Schackenborg. And I do think it's shocking that they can't muster up more engagements than Joachim's retired, 82 year old father. But again, I've never been a big fan of Joachim's (and I have criticised Prince William for doing the exact same thing) so colour me biased ;)

So the CP who has only done 55 duties is OK because he did a photo call :ermm: But his brother who on top of duties, works a part time job in defense, gets flack for only doing 30:bang: It would be like calling Edward lazy because he doesn't carry out as much as Charles.

This a ridiculous not only because the article is about Joachim and not Frederik (so why would we discuss Frederik's workload here?), but also because if you take a moment to look into Joachim's part-time job, you'll find that the actual amount of time he spends on it is highly dubious. I'm also very curious as to where in the article you find that Frederik is somehow spared from criticism because he attended the photo opportunity in Gråsten? As I mentioned earlier, this discussion is not merely the result of Joachim and Marie skipping out of Gråsten but a general frustration towards them and their lack of visibility.

Regarding the graph, it should be noted that they have only counted on engagement per day of official visits and visits with Dannebrog – and during most official visits QMII, Mary and Frederik generally do multiple engagements per day.

Very good point. :flowers:
The official visit to Saudi Arabia and Qatar were certainly more than one event per day. And during the State visit from Mexico it was definitely Frederik and Mary multiple times throughout the day with the presidential couple for the visit.

It's again why it's hard to come up with one simple number.
The fact is Joachim is now in Copenhagen and no longer has the farm business to take up his time. It's now been two years and there has not been an increase of Joachim's workload.

I suppose we really don't know how much time they put in behind the scenes... or not. I've always wondered how much prep the royal has to do and how much is done by their staff. This goes across the board.

In this case either more transparency is required, or the numbers are non-transparent for a reason.

I suppose this should be on the Graasten thread, and I'll go post it there, but is there any reason for them to miss that shoot? Don't they have the leeway, unlike most of us, to plan their vacations as they want them?

I think this is a very valid discussion to have. And make no mistake, while BT undoubtedly did this piece to sell papers, it also largely reflects the views of the general public – what's the point of funding Joachim when he doesn't seem to bother giving anything in return? Joachim and Marie hold part-time "consulting jobs" with the Danish Defence and the DEMA, respectively, both of which seem like de facto jobs meant as some sort of poor damage control to the criticism they've faced since moving away from Schackenborg. And I do think it's shocking that they can't muster up more engagements than Joachim's retired, 82 year old father. But again, I've never been a big fan of Joachim's (and I have criticised Prince William for doing the exact same thing) so colour me biased ;)

This a ridiculous not only because the article is about Joachim and not Frederik (so why would we discuss Frederik's workload here?), but also because if you take a moment to look into Joachim's part-time job, you'll find that the actual amount of time he spends on it is highly dubious. I'm also very curious as to where in the article you find that Frederik is somehow spared from criticism because he attended the photo opportunity in Gråsten? As I mentioned earlier, this discussion is not merely the result of Joachim and Marie skipping out of Gråsten but a general frustration towards them and their lack of visibility.

Was there an article criticizing Fred for doin 55? No. Or maybe someone can post a link. The fact is he is being criticized for not doing as much as his brother who is the heir. People get all pissed off and up in arms when people criticize other royals for being work shy. But Joachim its ok?

Visibility? I guess he needs to publish his time card or have photos taken as he goes to his defense job because it is not a public event its 'dubious' and doesn't count.

And yes, the article made a clear point of praising Fred for never missing the photos and Joachim missing 2.

Regarding the graph, it should be noted that they have only counted one engagement per day of official visits and visits with Dannebrog – and during most official visits QMII, Mary and Frederik generally do multiple engagements per day.
If this graph is counting engagements, one event per day during official visits etc, then it's not really very accurate:

F&M visit to Saudi Arabia, 5 days counted as 5 engagements per person, when they really had 23 engagements on the agenda.

Women Deliver conference, 4 days = 4 engagements for Mary, but on the official agenda she had 27 events during those days.

And the same for QM on Dannebrog, F&M during State Visits and so on.

It is indeed getting increasingly difficult to defend Joachim in particular but also our Marie to some extent. In the sense that they receive an apanage.

It would perhaps be wiser if J&M did a Benedikte - i.e. basically having an expense account under QMII. Which means they would get paid for the work they do and not for what is expected of them.

In that way we would still have someone ready to stand in for M&F, while they at the same time are more free to do what they want.
Because in fifteen years Christian and Bella are old enough to begin to sideline J&M in earnest.

It is indeed getting increasingly difficult to defend Joachim in particular but also our Marie to some extent. In the sense that they receive an apanage.

In that way we would still have someone ready to stand in for M&F, while they at the same time are more free to do what they want.
Because in fifteen years Christian and Bella are old enough to begin to sideline J&M in earnest.

I don't really understand your "some extent"....?

I thought it odd, that the article concentrated on Joachim. Your Marie has even less official engagements than him, even if the figures in the article aren't completely accurate.

Fifteen years is a long time....Realistically speaking, Frederik could become King next week or next month. The next in line, Christian, and the other kids are all 10 and younger. Joachim & Marie would be needed to do the job the CPC are doing now. Can they just opt out of it and continue with the workload they have if that happens?

It would perhaps be wiser if J&M did a Benedikte - i.e. basically having an expense account under QMII. Which means they would get paid for the work they do and not for what is expected of them.

I think it makes more sense, as you suggest, for working royals to live under one big expense account.

Was there an article criticizing Fred for doin 55? No. Or maybe someone can post a link. The fact is he is being criticized for not doing as much as his brother who is the heir. People get all pissed off and up in arms when people criticize other royals for being work shy. But Joachim its ok?

Visibility? I guess he needs to publish his time card or have photos taken as he goes to his defense job because it is not a public event its 'dubious' and doesn't count.

And yes, the article made a clear point of praising Fred for never missing the photos and Joachim missing 2.
The fact is nowhere in the article it says that he should work as much as his brother, the heir. Joachim is critizised for working as little as his father who is officially retired although J+M's move to Copenhagen a few years ago was officially explained with their workload. He is critizised for not coming to Graasten although he constantly declares how important South Jutland is for him. There is a huge gap between what J+M say and what J+M do. And this article points that out.
And yes, Nordic, Marie is (and always has been since her wedding) the family member with the fewest engagements. It's odd that they don't mention her. Since she is at least half responsible for the couple's "freeloader" image.

Last edited:
I don't really understand your "some extent"....?

I thought it odd, that the article concentrated on Joachim. Your Marie has even less official engagements than him, even if the figures in the article aren't completely accurate.

Because it's not a question of quantity, that is how many events a royal do, not even quality, it's a question of profiling. And in that respect our Marie has a way higher profile than Joachim.

Fifteen years is a long time....Realistically speaking, Frederik could become King next week or next month. The next in line, Christian, and the other kids are all 10 and younger. Joachim & Marie would be needed to do the job the CPC are doing now. Can they just opt out of it and continue with the workload they have if that happens?

Yes, they can.

M&F would be in the same situation as the current Regent Couple was in the 70's and 80's. They ran the show on their own, only supported by Benedikte and Queen Ingrid.

Is it desirable to have a couple of royals in perfect working order, not pulling their weight while M&F are all over the place? Absolutely not
But it's perfectly possible.

M&F would be in the same situation as the current Regent Couple was in the 70's and 80's. They ran the show on their own, only supported by Benedikte and Queen Ingrid.

Is it desirable to have a couple of royals in perfect working order, not pulling their weight while M&F are all over the place? Absolutely not
But it's perfectly possible.

Did Benedikte and Queen Ingrid have official events at the time, or was it more a question of moral support?

If they did have official events, then the Regent Couple ran the show with two other members of the family. M&F would be on their own, if J&M "opted out".

Did Benedikte and Queen Ingrid have official events at the time, or was it more a question of moral support?

If they did have official events, then the Regent Couple ran the show with two other members of the family. M&F would be on their own, if J&M "opted out".

I thought you meant with their current workload.

I don't think J&M opting out completely is a realistic scenario. Not unless they decided to move to France or something like that. And that would be most odd IMO.

Yes, Benedikte did her bit but not to the extent that she is doing now, she after all had children, husband and the estate at Berleburg to keep her busy.

Queen Ingrid also stepped in on a relatively low key basis. And as you may recall she also stepped in as Rigsforstander, even is she was not in the Line of Succession.

So in a scenario where J&M opted out more or less completely, it would not only be possible that Mary would from time to time be Rigsforstander, it would be inevitable IMO.
(Which would make Mary the de facto head of state from time to time. There is a particular website where they would have a collective heart attack, should that happen... :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom