What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
highpriestess said:
You probably misunderstood me.

If Mary and Fred divorce tomorrow, Mary will be back to be Mary Donaldson. She'll be recorded as Christian's mother in history. But nothing more.

If I did infact misunderstand you, I extend my apologies...

If Mary & Frederik (god forbid) were to find grounds for seperation and divorce necessary, HRH would not loose her position as a Princess of the Kingdom of Denmark, that would remain in her own right just as it has with Alexandra, unless she re-married.

Like Alexandra, Mary would hence forth be styled & known as Her Highness Princess Mary.

"MII"

Meredith said:
Excuse me, but I don't understand what you mean here. Call it a language barrier, but you mean that she has to let go of her personality and her past to become the Crown Princess? I'm sorry, but if this is what you're implying this is highly unlikely. Fred had his reasons to fall in love with Mary, and I bet he wouldn't like it if she suddenly became a mastered puppy of the institution. I feel that Mary was too fast, she suddenly was everywhere. I know that Alexandra is loved by the Danish people, I know that now she's divorced her appearances lessened a bit, but I think that she's the one who understood what being a Princess is all about. She knows she's not a celebrity.

And there's also no comprobation that any of it is untrue. Or do you know something I don't?

Of course it would! He had the money to go to Australia and to bring her to Denmark whenever he wanted! I think that, by spending two years alone in a foreign country - whose language you don't speak - just expecting a ring to be slipped in your finger is not a good thing. It's like nothing else matters but the ring on the left hand. At least this is the impression I get from the happenings

She gave up it all too fast! Family, friends and everything she had achieved until that date. Of course that a job in a multinational and important company like Microsoft is very appealing, as well as being the girlfriend of a Prince, having your face splashed around the magazines...

All I can say is that your interpretation of my post is, well...quite rediculous to be frank.

At the end of the day our opinions dont count for much..they are ours and ours alone, a bunch of foreigners (primarily), either supportive or disobliging towards the Crown Princess.

"MII"

Last edited:
highpriestess said:
There were quite a few scandalous stories surrounding her meeting Fred and questions about whether Fred courted her or she courted Fred.

Your source please? Fred and Mary have been communicating with each other through letters and phones for more than one year since they met and HRH has been making frequent trips to Australia before the media discovered their relationship. :)

Meredith said:
.I feel that Mary was too fast, she suddenly was everywhere.

I am sure Mary does not hold that record where princesses are concerned. Others are even faster.:D
The Danish people got to know her for 3 years or more before she got married to their royal Crown Prince.

Last edited:
grevinnan said:
In comparison to Letizia, Mathilde and Maxime she is quite an un-accomplished young woman.

Mary is not my favorite, but I think it is quite unfair to compare her with other CPs. All of them, left everything behind for a prince (who wouldn't--com'on, let's be honest); all of them married their prince almost immediately; all of them were career women (except for MM) who left everything for "love." While most of you call it "work," I don't think any of them really works...standing, eating with head of states, going to balls, traveling, etc is hardly hard work...ask people in Africa, Latin America what work is...but anyways, the point is that Mary deserves the same respect that Letizia, Maxima and all the other ones have. If you would post what most people are posting on another forum (let's say the Spanish Royal Family one), you could be IN BIG TROUBLE!!!!!! ask me!!!!

Post # of engagement transcript.

I've been dying to read (in English) the transcript of Mary's engagement interview. I read several posts stating that it is in this thread, but I cannot find it. I used the search engine (typing in "transcript") for this thread and it came up empty. This search tool must not be working. Can anyone direct me to the post # please?

Thank you.

Laviollette said:
I am shocked at comments that Mary was unaccomplished in comparison to Letizia, Mathilde and Maxima, that she was ordinary with no special achievements and that the way she lived her life, as a good and decent person, friend, daughter and sister, would not be considered a role model.

She spent six years at college and university and graduated with Bachelors of Commerce and Laws degrees, she worked in the field of real estate and was surrounded by a loving family and a close circle of friends who didn't blab and sell her out to the press while she was dating CP Frederik. She was a role model long before she became a princess and has become even more so since becoming CP Mary of Denmark.

Excellent post!!!! I could have written this myself .To say she was unaccomplished is a tad harsh.Wow I better pull my socks up then move this world ..Apart from the above mentioned which in my eyes is extremely
accomplished she also gave birth to a beautiful healthy child which to many a woman is a huge acomplishment. Totally agree that her family have been her rock and have stood by her and made her the woman she is today- confident, sound and well composed. IMO she has taken to Royal life as if she born into it with regalness and will continue to do well in her family and her social duties and charities.:)

tabbitha said:
...To say she was unaccomplished is a tad harsh.Wow I better pull my socks up then move this world.
Some people won't be happy until she solves the Third World debt issue, abolishes hunger, and wins a Nobel Peace Prize.
Even then she would be accused of looking arrogant. :D

Warren said:
Some people won't be happy until she solves the Third World debt issue, abolishes hunger, and wins a Nobel Peace Prize.
Even then she would be accused of looking arrogant. :D

Hey maybe she can , abolish aids ,cure cancer , stop nuclear war from happening and if all else fails reverse global warming. Darn I knew she should have gotten an MBA and a PHD- what was she thinking ???:D ;)

Last edited:
tabbitha said:
Hey maybe she can , abolish aids ,cure cancer , stop nuclear war from happening and if all else fails reverse global warming. Darn I knew she should have gotten an MBA and a PHD- what was she thinking ???:D ;)

I know, tell me about it!:rolleyes:

It just goes to show that HRH the Crown Princess is worthy of such lengthy discussions and can stir such interest, long enough for some to form opinions that are less than amiable...they must take a great deal of notice to have formed such strong sentiments :D

"MII"

As someone who actually likes Mary quite a bit, I have read this thread with some interest. I am a woman roughly the same age as she is, and reading your comments have come to think that quite a few of those writing must still be quite young and with not a very good comprehension of how it is like to be a 30-something woman.

Here it is: yes, we have had boyfriends and even sex. We have gone to bars and danced barefoot on the tables to crap 80s pop. We have made too many things to count we shouldn't have done, and a have a few regrets. And at this age, we have already a very good sense of how our lives will shape themselves, and sometimes find that scary. We look back to our 20 yo selves and both envy that idealism and wish we could tell ourselves that live isn't going to be what we assume it will be, that idealism has a short shelflife and often ambition comes before fall.

Yes, Mary didn't have a big illustrious career to leave behind - but how many woman at the age of 30 has? I know maybe couple such girls in Finland, the rest still struggle in a limbo of studies and bad jobs, boyfriends and roommates, no matter what their ambitions may have been. But you can hardly accuse Mary for lacking effort - she does after all have two university degrees; she took courses like creative writing, and was very much into self-development. How some people actually manage to make that sound like a bad thing is beyond me. Of course I admire all the Letizias of this world, all those who knew from the beginning who they are and what they want to do; that they give it all up to walk two steps behind a man - no matter who he is - is well beyond me.

Sometimes even determination isn't enough - a lot in life comes down to basic good luck, making the right connections, finding the right jilly job that leads to big things, being at right place at the right time. Yes, many of us have by now watched our male colleagues to get promoted past us - yes, it still happens, every day; most of the guys I know are in steady jobs already while the girls are still looking. Yes, she may have changed jobs many times, but so have many other women done too, for too many reasons to account here. I am starting to get a hang of what I want to spend my life doing only now and can identify with her in that sense perfectly well.

Somehow I also believe that if Frederick was merely a math teacher, she would have still married him - would Maxima have even touched W-A if he was just an ordinary guy, with ordinary job and no big money? We cannot know, and we cannot know about Mary for sure either. I like to think though that those two love each other and make a good couple - as do Maxima and W-A and even Philippe and Mathilde.

And yes, she holds her head high. But with you people howling at her, of course she does. Most of even us normal folks are very sensitive to criticism and when knowing that people are watching and commenting everything, every mistake, every lapse, which one of us wouldn't be wary and reserved? For her, the pressure of always making the best possible impression is even stronger, and so she is probably twice the more worried.

Is she a good role model? Definitely much better than most of those celebrities little girls usually admire. She is in every sense an ordinary girl. She doesn't come from old money/old name like Mathilde, not from powerful connections like Maxima, not from the top social circles like Letizia or Mette-Marit or Maria Teresa of Luxembourg. She was just a pretty girl who got lucky. She may not have beeen the most accomplished or ambitious person in the world, but I still find her admirable, simply for what she is.

There are a great many royals I find annoying and undeserving. Royals I have no particular respect for. I have chosen to not to pay much attention to them, as I can live my life very well without them. But I would never make a sport out of trashing them just simply because someone else likes them. That doesn't, after all, diminish those royals one bit but simply hurts the people who genuinely like and admire them. Now, kindly take your vitamin and get over it.

Margrethe II said:
All I can say is that your interpretation of my post is, well...quite rediculous to be frank.

That's exactly why I started my post saying that I didn't understand what you meant, no need for sarcasm. Do you care to clarify what you meant? As I told before, I may be a victim of a language barrier, since English is not my first language.

At the end of the day our opinions dont count for much..they are ours and ours alone, a bunch of foreigners (primarily), either supportive or disobliging towards the Crown Princess.

Probably, but discussions like these are what keep Forums alive.

I think we have had enough of whether Letizia would give interviews or whether she was popular before marriage etc. Please give view to the fact that the thread is about Mary and not Letizia. Keep that in mind when posting.

Comparisons with other crown princesses are considered OFF TOPIC and therefore will be deleted.

Thank You

lisamaria said:
As someone who actually likes Mary quite a bit, I have read this thread with some interest...
Thank you for sharing your insights lisamaria, was a pleasure to read. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something. This thread is not an outlet for the bitter, the twisted, the sarcastic, the argumentative, nor those looking for some biffo.

Rational and constructive opinions and observations are, however, most welcome.

Warren
Danish Forums moderator

lisamaria is correct that many 30ish are very unsettled in their professional life - if they even consider a professional life at all. Mary seems to have fit right in to that life as well.

lisamaria said:
Yes, Mary didn't have a big illustrious career to leave behind - but how many woman at the age of 30 has? I know maybe couple such girls in Finland, the rest still struggle in a limbo of studies and bad jobs, boyfriends and roommates, no matter what their ambitions may have been.

Plenty of women are perfectly settled career wise when they're 30, I honestly don't know of anyone who isn't doing something at that age theat they are unhappy with.

lisamaria said:
But you can hardly accuse Mary for lacking effort - she does after all have two university degrees; she took courses like creative writing, and was very much into self-development. How some people actually manage to make that sound like a bad thing is beyond me.

I don't think anyone has said having 2 degrees is a bad thing, however it's just not as impressive as some make it out to be. Having a law degree, at least here in England, isn't a real achievement, there are so many law graduates these days and so few who actually work witihn their chosen field. I think what some people take issue with, myself included, is that Mary's achievements have been heavily built up abd are yet quite average, yes hse has a degree, but so what? Degrees are incredibly common these days.

lisamaria said:
Yes, she may have changed jobs many times, but so have many other women done too, for too many reasons to account here. I am starting to get a hang of what I want to spend my life doing only now and can identify with her in that sense perfectly well.

Plenty of people change jobs, however, imo, regularly changing jobs is a sign of unsteadiness and to a certain degree, weakness. It suggests that not only can you not stick to one thing but that you are completely unsure about what you want and in a 30 year old woman I do think thay isn't particularly desirable.

lisamarie said:
There are a great many royals I find annoying and undeserving. Royals I have no particular respect for. I have chosen to not to pay much attention to them, as I can live my life very well without them. But I would never make a sport out of trashing them just simply because someone else likes them. That doesn't, after all, diminish those royals one bit but simply hurts the people who genuinely like and admire them. Now, kindly take your vitamin and get over it.

Who exactly on this thread is "trashing" Mary? It seems you're not allowed to comment on the Danish couple unless you think they are both wonderful. Having a negative opinion of them seems to be a no-no, voicing that opinion results in accusations being levleed at them. I find that very sad.

I think Little Star is being a bit harsh. In anyone's book a degree is quite an achievement. Considering, in the past, the credentials for a future princess were only that she was from a 'good' (ie aristocratic family) and had an unblemished past. Mary had a life before she married that wasn't perfect and for that she seems more real and identifiable.On the other hand, maybe that's why she attracts a bit of criticism - people feel that she was just lucky to have met a prince in a pub and are, perhaps, a little jealous it wasn't them.

A lot of members are interested in just talking about royals period - both the good and the bad. They don't necessarily want a 'fan club' environment where nothing negative is said.

When people get nasty, that's when people go away but not all negative opinions are nasty.

As for Mary, I understand other members' criticism of her and for the most part I agree with them but even then, the criticism is not damning enough to turn me off of Mary. I still think she's a good looking woman whose happy with her husband and seems to fit in the family and her role very well. If she were Crown Princess in another country, things might be different, but she's not.

Margrethe II said:
Thats it right there "LS"

Negativity...why can it not be voiced in a constructive manner? Just the tearing of strips & that's what I find very sad.

"MII"

I agree Margrethe II. Some posts have been critical in a non-constructive manner. Thats what the problem is. Some posts are full of "facts" that come out of nowhere and cannot be traced to any reliable source of evidence.

I'm a great fan of Frederik and Mary (more Fred than Mary if truth be told) but I find it a bit offish that Frederik is choosing to go sailing rather than attend the birthday celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden. It's a bit of a snub to be honest, especially after he chose Carl Gustav's daughter to be his son's godmother.

Has the hype over Mary decreased?

I was wondering what everyones opinion on this was. In some ways I believe the buzz on Mary has decreased, there isn't as much talk about her, as there was before. Like when she was dating Fred there'd be articles on her almost everyday, it continued when they got engaged, and then married. Now it seems to have decreased to me, in a lot of ways.

What are your views on this?

Well of course there has been a substantial decrease since the dating period and the wedding. To some people the fantasy ends there; Mary has her Prince Charming. A little more hype arose around the birth of Christian but nothing that big. IMO it happens with all the princesses. The press gets fascinated by them and goes through trash bins to get every single bit of dirt on them. But as time goes on, people move on. There will always be a watchful eye on her but never as much interest that culminated during the dating/wedding period. Unless some scandal arose, which I seriously hope one doesn't. :)

The hype in Australia has decreased somewhat (which is normal) but the interest is still there...I think it always will be :)

IMO it happens with all the princesses.

True SoCal girl...It's sure to happen with most women who marry into a royal position...its nothing out of the ordinary.

Mary is now a familiar figure...the introductory stage is over, HRH is firmly settled as a wife, mother & Crown Princess.

Mary is no longer the new face on the block!

"MII"

Last edited:
In Denmark, HRH Crown Princess Mary is still the material of quite a few articles, especially in the weekly tabloids, but also in the more sober newspapers. But no, her persona does not elicit as much interest as it did when she was dating HRH the Crown Prince, and around the engagement and wedding. In my opinion, this is not because the press finds that HRH Crown Princess Mary does not sell enough, but because she is no longer a “newbie”. She has now become an established figure in Danish society, a part of the Royal Family who now seems indispensable. Her countrymen still greets her with enthusiasm wherever she goes. In other words, Her Royal Highness has settled and adapted well to her new life and acts with such professionalism that, for the tabloids anyway, there is not much to report other than how well she is doing. To summarise, one could say that the media’s interest in the Crown Princess has faded a bit, but that the people’s interest in her is as big as always… and I do not think that she regrets this!

/Lasse Pedersen

Welcome to the renamed "What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary" thread and thanks to members who have submitted PMs.

Since the purpose of this thread is to minimize similar discussions of Frederik and Mary elsewhere, the "Has the hype over Mary decreased?" thread has been merged with this thread.

Happy posting!

The Danish Moderating Team

Princess Mary interview in Vogue

Hi,

I've noticed that Princess Mary gave an interview to Vogue magazine and posed for pictures.

Is this something the Danish Royal Family does frequently, give interviews to magazines?

< ed. Warren >

Mary has only done two 'fashion pieces', theVogue interview and one for Dansk magazine.
Both of these were strongly tied with her announcement soon after of accepting the patronage of [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1.CIFF Copenhagen International Fshion Fair

2. Designers Nest (encourages young Danish fashion designers).

Of her sixteen patronages fashion makes up only two. In those early days she probably took on patronages she was more comfortable with first eg Heart Foundation, fashion.

< ed. Warren >

The Danish royal family rarely gives interviews to magazines and they are usually tied to an upcoming event eg Australian Woman's Weekly and Denton Interview with the then up-coming Australian tour. Margrethe also gave interviews promoting her auto-biography and Henrik I think has done several interviews. What they don't do in talk to gossip mags eg Her and Nu, New Idea.
[/FONT]

To me Mary comes off as a more old style royal in that she seems very friendly but has maintained a remote quality that typifies the older generations of royals. Some could interpret this as hauteur or conceit but I just don't get that vibe when I see photos of her. I think she sometimes just seems nervous. She's still pretty new to her role and as time goes on I think she will become more and more comfortable and will radiate more warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom