General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 17: January 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too wish I hadn't clicked on the photos... they were heartbreaking to see and it would've been best if the press hadn't been there considering that this was a private funeral, and not a "normal" one at that since the deceased were very young and died due to a terrorist attack. Just a general notification that the family were there would've been better, as some newspaper outlets did, IMO.
My sincere condolences to the family and the DRF.

I don’t know how I feel about seeing the photos of the grieving royal guests. I will say, though, that I didn’t realize they’d have photos of the parents and surviving little girl. I scrolled down and saw a few before I even realized what I was looking at, and they’ll stay with me for a long time. I can only hope that seeing the pictures has resulted in even more people sending out prayers and good thoughts to ALL the families who lost loved ones. And that hopefully the families take some small comfort in knowing those people and good wishes are out there.

Message from Mary on Instagram
"Today, it is exactly 10 years ago that I participated in the Mother's Day event "The Art of Rescue a Mother". Here I met Dr. Grace Kodingo - a birth doctor from Chad - and she said, "When a woman in my country gets pregnant, she's got a leg in the grave". The words made a very big impression on me and became the start of my commitment to combating maternal mortality and the work of women and girls' right to determine their own body.
Over the past 25 years, a woman's risk of dying as a result of pregnancy and childbirth is almost halved. But over 300,000 women in the world continue to die every year. Most of these deaths occur in developing countries and could have been avoided. And pregnancy and childbirth complications are globally the leading cause of death among girls aged 15-19.
There is still much to work for. H.K.H. Crown Princess."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxReIMegoc2/

Message from Mary on Instagram
"Today, it is exactly 10 years ago that I participated in the Mother's Day event "The Art of Rescue a Mother". Here I met Dr. Grace Kodingo - a birth doctor from Chad - and she said, "When a woman in my country gets pregnant, she's got a leg in the grave". The words made a very big impression on me and became the start of my commitment to combating maternal mortality and the work of women and girls' right to determine their own body.
Over the past 25 years, a woman's risk of dying as a result of pregnancy and childbirth is almost halved. But over 300,000 women in the world continue to die every year. Most of these deaths occur in developing countries and could have been avoided. And pregnancy and childbirth complications are globally the leading cause of death among girls aged 15-19.
There is still much to work for. H.K.H. Crown Princess."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxReIMegoc2/
Wonderful! Maternal mortality is an issue close to my heart. Here in the USA it is on the rise. 8 months ago my cousin died giving birth in Maryland.
Well done CP Mary!

Wonderful! Maternal mortality is an issue close to my heart. Here in the USA it is on the rise. 8 months ago my cousin died giving birth in Maryland.
Well done CP Mary!

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

In this day and age the rise of maternal mortality is disturbing and is something that requires a lot more attention, especially in developing countries.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #19, 2019.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

BB has not shown any photos in the article of grieving relatives or children. They have shown one, but respectful, photo of the CP-family.

Many, both from the official Denmark as well as friends and relatives as well as many ordinary Danes showed their respect at the funeral of Alma, Agnes and Alfred, who were murdered in Sri Lanka.
Apart from M&F and their four children.
The Prime Minister and several ministers were there.

As well as a number of friends of M&F as well.
Peter and Caroline Heering are good friends of the Holck family and I guess it's through them M&f know the family.
The same thing applies to Christian and Mette Ahlefeldt-Laurvig.
But also Mary's hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard was there, with his husband.

After the ceremony at Aarhus Cathedral that was filled to the last seat and the final touch where the surviving child, Astrid, released a number of balloons, the hearses were driven to cemetery at Ormslev Church at the outskirt of Aarhus, close to where the family lives. And here the coffins were buried at a private ceremony for the family. This is the church where the children were baptized.
There was a gathering for those who attended the funeral at the home of the Holck family afterwards.

But see for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/ydkhi0k4z1iz1t6rv7pg535c0jizwk1t

:previous:
Thanks Polyesco

Yes they were having lunch at Sletten Habour ?

You can see Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine in the first boat with the Heering family (Peter and Caroline Heering and their two daugthers).
Next boat with Frederik and Mary and some friends I didn't recognize in the video.

I too think it was a birthday lunch for Frederik who has birthday today.

Another photo from a private Dane as the family leaves for lunch:

"Crown Prince of Denmark taking his family out for a boat ride. #copenhagen #denmark #royal"
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx4lF9pnAv8/?utm_source=ig_embed

Nice to see the family with their friends. I'm sure it was a good trip for the children as well having missed their parents whilst they were on their visit to South Korea.

On the occasion of Frederik's birthday today I have seen some "One year ago today" remembering his wonderful 50th birthday last year:

1: His wife's personal, touching, funny, honest and very loving speech:

One year ago today.

Crown Princess Mary later stated: "I wanted to talk to my husband. To touch him and tell him what he is for me. I wanted to invite others - to let them see what I see, the Frederik I love, to take them on the journey that has been ours."

Today is exactly one year ago that the Crown Prince and the entire Denmark both laughed, were touched and listened when Crown Princess Mary held a personal, humorous and very loving speech to her husband, our future King.

Such human a speech has not been seen before in the DRF and since the birthday the speech has been watched over 3.6 million times on Youtube !

***​

2. The four children's surprise to their father:

1 year ago today.

"Happy birthday dad, we love you".

Do you remember that as a surprise to the Crown Prince - and all the tv-viewers - on his 50th birthday, DR had allied themselves with mother Crown Princess Mary and all four children, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine. Together they had - one day the Crown Prince was not at home - gathered the couple's four children to an honest talk about the birthday father.

During DR's live birthday show "All Denmark celebrates the Crown Prince" all four children suddenly appeared in different clips, where they told both funny, honest, teasing and loving anecdotes about their dad, who made us all a little wiser about who our future King really is behind the castles four walls.

And it created great fun and joy both for the viewers and not least in the Crown Prince family itself.

For example, Princess Josephine was asked if she knew how her father and mother had met each other? Well, she knew that: Dad had met mum on kind of a bench in Australia. Then Dad had told Mom that she was so beautiful, and then they became lovers and got children.

Well, why do a story more complicated than it is? :lol:

Wonderful surprise from all four children, Crown Princess Mary and DR.

***​

3: A tribute to the Crown Prince of Denmark:

1 year ago today

'The side we don't normally see'.

As a tribute to Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary's official 50th birthday present for her husband was the release of a book in which she, in collaboration with four photographers, gathered special moments over the past 25 years on the occasion of his round day. Father, husband, heir, nature lover, art lover, crown prince, family man, frogman, sportsman, military man.

Crown Princess Mary wanted to show 'that side one don't normally see' by the Crown Prince. For example, we often get new official pictures of the Crown Prince and family, but it is only one selected picture we get to see. With this book we see that it is not so rigid to get official photos taken - at least not at home with the Crown Prince Couple. There must be room for fun during the photo sessions because otherwise the pictures will not be natural.

The Crown Princess contributes with her private pictures from her own archive and comments on the pictures through the book.
The book is called "H.R.H. Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark" and can be obtained for DKK 159.95.

Last edited:
:previous: Lovely to see the surprise photo from the CP children - mange tak for sharing, Roskilde! ?

It is easy to take Frederick and Mary for granted and forget what a truly amazing "Romance" they had and, while the Danes watched their courtship and marriage, so did the rest of the world.

It is a rare joy to see a couple who have passed that first marital milestone of twelve and a half years clearly still as loved and loving. Mary really shared a wonderful story and the children added the joyful, wry, witty and gave Denmark a glimpse of their father and provided the unseen colour of a man who is just their dad.

All of this made me wonder how do the Danes feel about their Crown Prince and his family.

I think it's safe to say that Frederik is generally very well liked. Perhaps more liked than respected - but that I will mainly attribute to the press not giving Frederik much coverage when he is doing suit-and-tie-work in contrast to the huge coverage he gets when it's something to do with sport or healthy living or Greenland, which leaves the impression with many who are not well.informed that he is not as serious as he could be in regards to what kind of work he does
That is IMO unfair, Frederik has taken on quite a lot of "serious" tasks over the past eight-ten years.
Frederik has the enviable ability to be folksy and that makes people related to him and people acknowledge that he has worked on getting to the confident stage he is today in regards to his destiny as the next king.
Among the young, i.e. >35 year olds, there is no question in my mind that Frederik is their royal.

Mary is generally very respected! And indeed admired. There is a universal agreement that she does her job very well indeed and that she is more regal than her husband. She is also very liked on a personal level. Less so though than Frederik, due to him being folksy. But close behind.
She's a hard worker and she understands how to sell a message and also do that in a "politically palatable way" which means she has a lot of political goodwill and backing.

Together they are a formidable and very popular team, not least when their children are around as well.
Mary become girlish around Frederik and he can't keep his hands off his wife, so that's nice and reassuring to see.

M&F have gradually, and especially since the death of PH become the regent couple in anything but name.

My view is the same as Muhler describes.

Though, I see that Crown Prince Frederik is generally also very respected because of his many hard physical educations and personal victories.
I also see Crown Princess Mary as very folksy and that she for young people is their royal too, especially because of her social work for the Danes or when she meets up to the Danish Rainbow Award and talks about the rights of gay people or when she holds the most personal speech heard in the DRF to her husband on his birthday.

I have heard many times that the young/middle-aged generation, who is maybe not particularly fond of a monarchy in the year of 2019, says: Monarchy or not, we like Frederik and Mary.
Both in my own family and in my circles of friends.

The Crown Prince couple actually succeeds in getting the young/middle-aged generation interested in the monarchy. And that's a big plus (and important) for the DRF. For example when both Frederik, Mary and the children run alongside the Danes in the streets during Frederik's Royal Run.
This means that the young/middle-aged generation now also seems to more and more find a monarchy also useful in the year 2019.

The Crown Prince's 50th birthday was absolutely wonderful and overwhelming.
I think everyone will say so. It could not have been better in any way IMO.

If we stick to numbers, the media made Gallup surveys every year (more or less) and here the results has always been the same: Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary switches to be the most popular member with Queen Margrethe very close behind them.
I do think, though, that the generally respect for Queen Margrethe has increased any further after Prince Henrik's death, and Frederik's after his 50th birthday last year.

I think it's safe to say that the DRF generally has good times. We have a Queen who people generally think has solved her job very good and still does, and a Crown Prince with his wife who takes over now and a country who generally has a great confidence in that he will solve the job as good as the Queen.

There is of course newspapers and magazines which like to write negatively about the royals and newspapers that oppose the monarchy, and there are always people who believe in these stories, and believe and mean something completely different from what we write here.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2019.
Written by Marianne Singer.

This is really about Frederik presenting grants from The CP-Couple Foundation, but who cares.
It's what on the walls that are interesting!

See here: https://app.box.com/s/ms8suuowgwe5vzc4xwpxn5bqy3cwkeeq
https://app.box.com/s/am0yd5p5xioosslwpesnuzhgxb7q8pkv

Frederik told his guests: "I'd like you to pay attention to this. Something I'm actually very proud of. It's an artwork that more or less encircle the room. But it is also the last room in the mansion that we have decorated with contemporary art by a Scandinavian artist.
The artwork is by Swedish Miriam Bäckström from Stickholm - I really like it - not just only because it's inspiring and fantastic, but it's actually a modern goblin that is woven, not printed on machines you only find in Belgium."

It depicts a kind of electric storm that is frozen in a thousand of a second.

- I like it too! :cool:

Is that the same room that had the map of the world on it?

I'm not a fan of the new art I'm afraid.

It makes me feel dizzy just looking at it. Can't imagine having to sit in that room for a couple of hours...

Is that the same room that had the map of the world on it?

I believe so.

This is better.

I think it's the room which had simple green walls. On the second floor, next to the Great Hall.
The Mary Foundation presidium meetings etc are always held there.

"the last room in the mansion that we have decorated with contemporary art by a Scandinavian artist."

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2019.
Written by Marianne Singer.

This is really about Frederik presenting grants from The CP-Couple Foundation, but who cares.
It's what on the walls that are interesting!

See here: https://app.box.com/s/ms8suuowgwe5vzc4xwpxn5bqy3cwkeeq
https://app.box.com/s/am0yd5p5xioosslwpesnuzhgxb7q8pkv

Frederik told his guests: "I'd like you to pay attention to this. Something I'm actually very proud of. It's an artwork that more or less encircle the room. But it is also the last room in the mansion that we have decorated with contemporary art by a Scandinavian artist.
The artwork is by Swedish Miriam Bäckström from Stickholm - I really like it - not just only because it's inspiring and fantastic, but it's actually a modern goblin that is woven, not printed on machines you only find in Belgium."

It depicts a kind of electric storm that is frozen in a thousand of a second.

- I like it too! :cool:

I like it too.
They have added their personal touch and with modern Scandinavian artist, good.

And it was Frederik presenting grants from the Crown Prince Frederik fund for students at Harvard ;)

Dr.dk writes that the 800th year anniversary celebrations of the Dannebrog flag that's taking place in Vordingborg with Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary in attendance has been interrupted and postponed because of the heavy rains and the thunderstorm that's currently hitting Denmark (and the south of Sweden where I am) hard. According to DR nobody has been hurt, but the participants of the ceremony has been evacuated to an exhibition hall close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom