General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 17: January 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Such a gorgeous photo of little Grace! Mary is a talented photographer. Seems like the weather is being good to the Danes as it is to us Brits too ?

Lovely photos, and it is nice to see that they have a normal life! sometimes…..

Lovely photo of Mary and dear Gracie.

What a fantastic coincidence for the photographer when he realised the subjects of his photos were the Crown Princess of Denmark and the Crown Prince of the Danish dog world! :D It's nice to get a glimpse into the "off-duty" life of the family. Perfectly normal like us regular folks.

Yes, it's good to see them being allowed to be themselves sin public. Long may that last.

The Crown Dog = Kronhunden is a very fitting title for Gracie.
Should Gracie live long enough to see M&F become the regent couple, she will jokingly be referred to as "Rigshunden" = The Dog of the Realm. But I think the best translation would be The First Dog. ?
Just as QMIIs dachshund is often referred to a Rigshunden.

Frederik & Mary spotted on their way to The Round Tower in Copenhagen last weekend to see Prince Nikolaos of Greece photo exhibition.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e0d3a1a4346f950ab3d84eb221e30478&oe=5D238C19

A Dane writes at the Royal House's Instagram that Mary and Isabella were in Boxen, Herning, last Saturday, all day, at the big horse arrangement.

Isabella has certainly inherited her mother's love for horses.

Princess Benedikte officially visited the event throughout the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michelle Obama will give a speech/lecture tonight in Copenhagen and Mary will be among those present - and no doubt meet Michelle Obama as well.

The Obamas were and are very popular among many if not most Danes.

The overwhelming majority of the audience tonight are women, according to a news reporter well over 90 %.

The Palace announced which projects and organizations will receive donations from the Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary Fund this year, among them are the Danish Hospital Clowns, the Technical University of Denmark, the Youth Red Cross, the Rigs Hospital, the Palliative Voluntary Network, Project manager Kristine Kier Jørgensen, the Greenland Natural Institute (two seperate donations), the Engineering World Health, the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, the Kolding Crisis Center, the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation, the Independent Institution WATERZ, the DIF Soldier Project and the Polar School:

** kongehuset: Uddelinger fra Kronprins Frederiks og Kronprinsesse Marys Fond **

Frederik has given an interview with the Magazine Norden (The North).
A Scandinavian magazine aimed at informing about Nordic culture and Nordic issues and co-operation.
There is the entity The Nordic Council, which is the political wing of the above and that does take up a good deal of space in Sweden and Norway (and I imagine Iceland as well. Don't know about Finland) but in Denmark few really care, and even fewer outside Copenhagen. I guess we are too close to Europe, relatively speaking.

https://www.bt.dk/samfund/kronprins-frederik-denne-egenskab-vil-jeg-give-videre-til-mine-boern

In the interview Frederik explains some of the values he and Mary wish and try to pass on to their children.
It is based on his belief that the Nordic model for a society is pretty much perfect - with due considerations he admits, to him having been biased by culture and upbringing.

"I believe that the most important things my wife (formal word) and I can pass on to our children is that they must be curious and open for what is new and unknown and ask themselves: What is this all about, we are dealing with here?
If you have the ability to be sincere, curious, you obtain rich experiences by forming personal impressions of places and people - rather than just adopting the rendition of others.
In the meeting with other cultures you can be both proud and be on top in regards to your own culture. But you can also - that's how I was brought up - be listening, curious and little bit humble."

Last edited:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/kronprinsessen-i-teatret-mary-med-sort-samvittighed

Mary went to the Betty Nansen Theater in Copenhagen recently with her good friend, the actress Ellen Hillingsø.
Here they went backstage.

It's an ensemble named Black Conscious (Here in the meaning bad conscious.)

The ensemble perform based on texts from female lyrics over the past 100 years.
This particular performance, which was the third, dealt mainly with relationships between couples.

Mary is a regular theater goer writes Billed Bladet. Not least in this theater, where she has been seen quite often with Ellen Hillingsø, and also seen Ellen Hillingsø on stage here.

QMII is also a regular visitor to the theater, predominantly the Royal Theater.

Does anyone know if Frederik and Mary were close to Anders Povlsen? What a tragedy I can not get over it!

Absolutely mind numbing for Sri Lanka and all families of those affected.
I have read of many cases where members of the one family are victims.
It's sad beyond sad.

To lose a family member in this way is devastating to lose multiple family members is truly horrific. I don't know how your grief can't be anything other than overwhelming.
Truly horrible for all the innocent defenceless people injured and killed.
I have been thinking of Anders and his wife today. All the money in the world means nothing when dealing with this sort of tragedy.
The crown prince couple must feel very upset about this.

This is so tragic. I have no words. No one can understand what the parents are going through right now... such a tragedy shouldn't hit anybody in the world!

I have not heard of the family before as they are very very discreet and private, but I can now see at pictures that they seems to be pretty close to Frederik and Mary and children? They have been together in the theater not long ago so Frederik and Mary's children also know the children. With four small children themselves Frederik and Mary must have been shocked to hear this.

We really need to enjoy every day of life. We do not know how long we are here. This is so tragic. All my thoughts go to the parents and the one sibling.

Frederik had an event today and briefly made a comment on this tragedy
"- It is quite, quite a terrible tragedy, and we should all think - and we think of the survivors, said a clearly touched crown prince to the Ekstra Bladet's envoy, who met him for an event at DTU in Lyngby."
https://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/dkkendte/nu-taler-kronprinsen-om-tragedien/7606236
What an absolute tragedy! Words cannot even express the grief and pain then couple must be feeling? [emoji22]

I imagine It has to be hard for Mary and Frederik to explain t their own kids about their friends death. At this age for this kids it is a very difficult thing to think and understand and in this case does not matter how much money you have in a situation like this money can not do anything!

I don't think the Povlsen children and M&F's children were that close.

It's a question of geography.
The Povlsen family live in the outskirt of Aarhus and the children attended local schools.
So while M&F's children may from time to time have met the Povlsen children (mainly I believe when M&F happened to be in Jutland, i.e. at Trend) they wouldn't even have seen each other every month.
It's another matter with the children of those of M&F's friends who live in Copenhagen, some of them have children who attend the same school. That would be devastating for M&F's children.
Isabella and Christian are old enough to a considerable degree to understand what this means. But for the Vincent and Josephine I think this is too abstract for them to (mercifully) really comprehend it.

There will be a funeral at some point. No doubt as privately as possible. Something the Danish press at least will respect - especially as it involves children who are lost in such a meaningless way.
I think it's safe to say that M&F will attend. Probably also Joachim and Marie.
It remains to be seen whether Christian and/or Isabella will also be there.

A very tragic situation and indeed a lot for children of Christian and Isabella's age to take in. It wouldn't surprise me if they were to attend the reception afterwards rather than the actual service, which would be difficult for anyone, let alone children of Christian and Isabella's age, to sit through given the devastating circumstances. Whilst Christian and Isabella are growing up, they're still very young.

I imagine It has to be hard for Mary and Frederik to explain t their own kids about their friends death. At this age for this kids it is a very difficult thing to think and understand and in this case does not matter how much money you have in a situation like this money can not do anything!

I was thinking the same thing. A difficult conversation for the parents to explain to their children. But children have to learn about life and death in their life. They felt great emotion I imagine when they lost the loved Ziggy and then Prince Henrik much loved grandfather.
But this tragedy is different and makes explaining that much more difficult. Although children deal with grief much better than adults from my observation.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinsesse-mary-er-dybt-beroert-efter-terrorangreb-i-sri-lanka

I find it somewhat sad that the press is questioning F&M in full publicity. Their friends have been hit by a terrible tragedy, it must be difficult what to say.

Frederik was asked yesterday and today Mary.

Mary gave - obviously very moved - a brief comment.

"We are deeply concerned. It is an incomprehensible tragic event that is incredibly sad."

Mary has also chosen to cancel an official event with Sorglinjen tomorrow where she should help putting focus on advise and help to process grief. It was scheduled for April 25, but has now been postponed until May 29.

It may be a too difficult topic to set focus on these days...

Last edited:
I don't know.

I think it's valid to ask for a comment, and no more than that.

Apart from a public interest in what M&F have to say, perhaps M&F also feel an urge to get it off their chest?

They are of course more diplomatic than I would be! A luxury we commoners have...

Because what do you say to friends where three out of their four children have been murdered?
I personally have no idea.
That is such a terrible feeling of helplessness and also a feeling of inadequacy that saying something in public, might help M&F to cope.

It's def. a very difficult situation. And it must be tough to put your best face forward for the event and participants but also having this tragedy occur "close to home" for them.

:previous: To know your friends have lost three of their four children must be heartbreaking. You would look at your own four children and try to imagine only having one left.

Also, they would know if and how badly their friends and their remaining child are injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom