Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you to all who posted pictures and I enjoyed reading all the comments. I agree with all who loved Mary's headpiece. It was unusual and suited her. It opened her face so we could read her facial expressions. I think if she had worn a wide brimmed hat it may have been in the way of Pr Christian's face and it may have been a bit of a bother in the strong wind. Jane wore a wide brimmed hat in a dark shade and unfortunately it looked as if half of her face was hidden. Other than that it was a very emotion filled ceremony and once again clearly showed the love between Mary and Fred and now also the love for the gorgeous son.

Stellad

Am I the only one who does not think he is handsome?:confused:
Ofcourse he's a baby...and a sweety...
He lookes like his dad I guess...he's also nót my type...:D
I enjoyed the baptism very much, it was very sweet and I think both parents are very happy with their child.

wimaamal said:

I am sure there are some who share your view, but it would seem that you are a minority on this one ;) :D

"MII"

Hello Winammal

I agree with you...I wouldn't say he's handsome either, he's cute (and adorable) but not handsome. Some babies are born beautiful/stunning from day one eg. Infanta Leonor (she looks like a porcelain doll in some of the pictures). That said, it's still early days, who knows he might, in time, become really handsome like his cousins!

What a beautiful ceremony..I actually saw some higlights of it at Spanish TVE..Princess Mary kinda reminds me of Vivian Leigh, the actress who played the role of Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With The Wind...I think Americans could surely relate with what I'm saying but Vivian Leigh was a famous British actress in the 1930's or 50's I think..Just in my opinion, Princess Mary has a resemblance to Vivian Leigh..

Last edited:
I think he is a lovely baby.

Are there any photos of Prince Frederik holding the baby?

I think Mary is what we in danish calls a "Hønemor" which means an overprotective mother. it seems she is the only one that can hold the baby and noone else. Not even the father.

Thank you all that kept us update on this wonderful and tender Christening.

I saw some images from the Christening at Portuguese TV and I must admit that Mary's outfit looked more beautiful on TV than it does on pictures.

Mary and Fred seemed very happy and having real good time at their son christening. I also noticed that they both seem to find their son quite funny and amusing. One could clearly see that they were looking each other like they were saying "He's doing it again". And even the baby seems to have the same sense of humor. That smiling pic (Danielle’s avatar) of him in his mum's arm tells me that he is enjoying his special day.

As for the godparents, Mary and Fred couldn't have chosen better. The godmothers Mette and Victoria seemed besotted with their godchild.

As a Fashion faux-pas it only jumped to my eyes Mary’s stepmother (I don’t like the hat and shoes with that suit) and her sister (too dark, too tall with that hat).

As for Mary’s headpiece, I really like it, makes her look younger, fresh...

Prince Christian is just beautiful. I still don’t understand why some people said that his cousins were prettier. I don’t think so! Mary and Fred are very lucky for having such a gorgeous and smiling boy!

Once again thank you all for bringing all the news, details and pictures!

Regards,
mtbcm :)

betina said:
I think Mary is what we in danish calls a "Hønemor" which means an overprotective mother. it seems she is the only one that can hold the baby and noone else. Not even the father.

Well it is her first child so she probably is very protective of him. We don't know that she doesn't let Frederick hold him, they said they were going to be very "hands on" parents.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but would this have been the first time that Mary met Victoria, MM and Haakon and Pavlos?

Pink Tulip said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but would this have been the first time that Mary met Victoria, MM and Haakon and Pavlos?

They were all at Frederik's and Mary's wedding! Mary joined the family get together of the descendants of Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden last year and spent time with all the Swedish royals. Victoria also stayed with Frederik and Mary at the Chancellory House when she was on an official visit to Denmark last year. Pavlos stated in an interview that he had met Mary over a weekend visit either when she and Frederik were dating or newly engaged I can't remember. Haakon and Mary sat together during an official lunch last October during the official visit to Denmark by the Norwegian royals. I'll hazard a guess and say they all know each other somewhat!

purple_platinum said:
both Mette-Marit & Haakon? wow... that's very sweet

Here in Finland we always have both of the couple, a wife and a husband, as godparents. It would be thought very, very, very insulting to choose only one of them as a godparent. I have never even heart of choosing only one of them here.

Princess Alexia having some trouble with her hat in the wind
Pic from goff

Here are pictures of some of the royal guests arriving for the black tie party
Pictures by Tim Rooke

Attachments

• 00108182_000004.jpg
    00108182_000004.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 00108182_000005.jpg
    00108182_000005.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 315
  • sfhkjsdhfk.jpg
    sfhkjsdhfk.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 320
  • sfsdfsdf.jpg
    sfsdfsdf.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,643
  • 570400b.jpg
    570400b.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 369
  • sdfsdfsd.jpg
    sdfsdfsd.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,306
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Mary is not an overprotective mother but rather a sensible one. At a major event one does whatever it takes to keep the baby calm and that usually means in the arms of mom. To be near the foodsource and the familiar heartbeat is calming for any baby and Mary did a good job of keeping him comfortable.

I wasn't able to watch the ceremony live because the computer wasn't working so I was very curious about the prince's name. Little Christian is adorable and cute and he's very fortunate to have such loving parents. Mary and Frederik seemed really happy and proud.

In Henrik's defence, his hair blew out of order when he entered the church. I do think he combed his hair before he left, but there was quite some wind outside the church.

Larzen said:
Pictures by Tim Rooke

Great pics Larzen. Thank you. I had thought, we wouldn´t get to see pics of this anymore.

Larzen said:
Pictures by Tim Rooke

thanks, Larzen.. :) :) are there more? :eek:

Theodora is looking more like Alexia.. but her make-up made her look much older.
on Victoria's pic, i read "slotsboden" on the plastic bag. what is that? a gift? :confused:

wimaamal said:
Ofcourse he's a baby...and a sweety...
He lookes like his dad I guess...he's also nót my type...:D
I enjoyed the baptism very much, it was very sweet and I think both parents are very happy with their child.

Actually, i do not find him handsome either...he gets cute lately and looks much better now than before..sorry but he was a bit ugly to me before. :cool:

As for Mary's headpiece, people need to make the distinction between the color of the headpiece and its design. For me the color makes a contrast with Mary's dark hair and her blue jacket...So, in that sense, it was nice..BUT the design :eek:

I like what CP Mary wore except the skirt.

Thank you everybody for the pictures and newspaper articles! I really enjoyed it. Sorry for the question, but I read a lot and haven't fount it yet: Why didn't Mary's brother John Stuart attend the chistening? Does anybody know?

2 more of the royal godparents (Haakon, Mette-Marit, Victoria, Pavlos)

Joachim with Nikolai & Felix entering the church

Nikolaos with Tatiana, and Martha Louise with Ari Behn

the charming lady in red, Mathilde with Philippe

(from ukpress & goff photos)

Last edited:
more from goff

Guillaume of Luxembourg

Nikolaos of Greece, with Tatiana Blatnik

and the godparents, Haakon & Mette-Marit of Norway

KikkiB said:
In Henrik's defence, his hair blew out of order when he entered the church. I do think he combed his hair before he left, but there was quite some wind outside the church.

Well he left his coat out in the nave and ther he cut have combed his hair infront of a mirror in the nave.
I think that if Queen Margrethe did not wear her hat and the wind was blowing she woud have combed her hair.
I honestly can´t se any excuse for prince Henrik not doing the same.:mad:

mtbcm, thank you for posting the link. please allow me to post some photos from that link. i didn't realised abc.es made a special photo gallery for Christian, especially since they didn't make one for Leonor. ;)
1st part from abc.es with BIG WITHOUT WATERMARKS photos

2nd ones with the family & guests

Last edited by a moderator:
Citizen2005 said:
Actually, i do not find him handsome either...he gets cute lately and looks much better now than before..sorry but he was a bit ugly to me before. :cool:

As for Mary's headpiece, people need to make the distinction between the color of the headpiece and its design. For me the color makes a contrast with Mary's dark hair and her blue jacket...So, in that sense, it was nice..BUT the design :eek:

I have to agree with you here on the baby. When he was a newborn he had that "plastic baby" look to him. Like one of my daughters toys. But he does look much better now with some weight on him. I don't think he is "handsome" but he is achieving "a baby cuteness" about him with his chubby cheeks!
I do hate to see any child sucking on anyone's finger! It's a dirty habit.
As for Mary's attire, I hated the headpiece the first moment I saw it, but after going thru this thread, it started to grow on me.
I hope her jacket kept her warm, because her dress was certainly something she should have saved to wear in Spring. Her jacket would have looked much better paired with a skirt of the same material and then her head piece would have looked much better. All in all, her out fit was way to "busy". Nice, but very busy.

H.M. Margrethe said:
Well he left his coat out in the nave and ther he cut have combed his hair infront of a mirror in the nave.
I think that if Queen Margrethe did not wear her hat and the wind was blowing she woud have combed her hair.
I honestly can´t se any excuse for prince Henrik not doing the same.:mad:

I too think that he should have taken an extra look in a mirror before entering the church, or at least someone (the Queen) should have told him his hair was messed up. But I guess he is like every other man, not caring to much about his hair doo. That hair did annoy me, but I reacted more to the fact that he looked like he was so bored during the sevice, not paying attention to the ceremony going on.

Crown Princess Mary's overall outfit was astouding.
Love the head gear. Something different.
Despite the cold weather, her outfit warms the church
and those around her.
Kronprinsparret & baby Prins Christain looks wonderful, lovely
& very happy as a new Royal family. Simply lovely.
Despite negative views from some.

betina said:

Its amazing, When Chrisitan was first born people were calling her a bad mother because Federick carried him around and now she is overprotective for holding him. I dont get it. Who wins. You also have to remember that this is being seen around the world and Mary has to be EXTRA carefull so no misshap happens during the ceremony with the baby. I dont think the baby is handsome either but he is definitly cute, especially when he smiles. He has Federicks head though and Marys face.

Back
Top Bottom