Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dress/coat that Mathilde and Anne-Marie wore are the same ones they wore to the wedding of W-A and Maxima, although the hats were different. Also interesting is that Christian's cousin Felix also has the names, Christian, Valdemar and Henrik in his name.

Toledo said:
I have a question too, anyone has information on the Baptismal Fountain used for the event? When Leonor was baptised the fountain used had a lot of history behind it so I guess the Danish Royals's fountain must be really important too.
Check out post #31 earlier in this thread.

the official photos are beautiful!

I saw the baptism on TV and I very much liked it. It was so sweet when Frederik and Mary were crying. I`m so glad that I live in a century where it`s ok for men to cry in public, even for a future king. I`m sure Frederik is a very caring husband. Every woman, or at least myself, would be lucky to have such a man.;) Oh and the little prince is such a sweet and beautiful baby.I wish him all the best for his future.:)

Ennyllorac said:

The official pictures seem very dark. Is it the room that is very dark (the couch is very darkly-upholstered aside from the gold accent) or is it the lighting?

The one "upside" of the darkness of the official photographs is that Mary and baby, with their fair complexions and light-coloured attire are very well showcased/spotlighted and certainly stand out!

Surprising though, in the picture with the Queen, Prince Henrik, Mary's father and step-mother, Susan's red hat (and shoes!) which seemed so glaring in the church now seem like they are burgundy or aubergine in the official pictures, while Mary's sister with her dark suit, hat and dark hair, seems like a shadow. Even though Mette-Marit wore a dark suit too, her lack of a hat and her fair hair make her less of a shadow.

Alexandria said:
The official pictures seem very dark. Is it the room that is very dark (the couch is very darkly-upholstered aside from the gold accent) or is it the lighting?

The one "upside" of the darkness of the official photographs is that Mary and baby, with their fair complexions and light-coloured attire are very well showcased/spotlighted and certainly stand out!

you're right , alexandria. i think the ones from bunte have been adjusted to be lighter, but it gave better lighting for the images.
the blue from Mary and the white from Christian's gown really stood up...

i wish there're more photos with the rest of the guests (maybe not the entire 321 guests) but one that include Nikolai & Felix, Alexandra, and perhaps the foreign guests like the Greek Royals, Martha & Ari, Philippe & Mathilde, Guillaume. it's a shame they come all the way without a good official photo.

Does anyone have the link to the thread about Mary's brooch? I can't find it!

Thank you!
:)

Little Prince Christian certainly looks cuter these days. I was worried for a little while, but now that he's filled out I see that he's precious!!! He was so alert, looking around and interacting with mommy. :) (I LOVED the picture of Mary looking down at him and him raising his hand to her).

Another picture I adored was the one of Prince Nikolai giving grandma Margrethe a big hug! Such a sweet picture!

I thougt this christnening was so beautiful. I have also really enjoyed all the pictures. I have been trying to find pictures from the dinner at Fredensborgs castle at night - has anyone seen any?

i love this photo, christian is so adorable, he had very blue eyes!
photo from newscom.

christian1.jpg

MarieLouise said:
I thougt this christnening was so beautiful. I have also really enjoyed all the pictures. I have been trying to find pictures from the dinner at Fredensborgs castle at night - has anyone seen any?
It was a private dinner in Mary and Frederik's home. I don't suppose they invited too many photographers.

Hi everyone!
I'm new in this forum. I saw the christening on line and I liked it. Everything was very formal but also very glamorous, (I love the ceremonies with red carpet, I don't know why but I love it). Princess Mathilde was fantastic, classic but elegant. Princess Mette-Marit was ok but I think she choose a dark colour for a christening, maybe I'm wrong, but it's my opinion. By the way, I never saw her wearing a hat, except in a funeral in Netherlands, probably she doesn't like hats. And Princess Mary, the proud mother, I only like the jacket, the skirt I think is for the summer. My mum says she doesn't like how she holds the baby, she says it's better with the arm under the baby dress to show the wonderful dress, like Princess Letizia in Spain with baby Leonor.

(Sorry if I write something wrong, my English isn't perfect).:)

According to Bjarne on the Royal Jewels Message Board, Mary's brooch was made for Queen Ingrid's mother, Princess Margaret of GB, later, Crown Princess of Sweden. The brooch consists of a sapphire, diamonds, pearls and is set in silver.

I saw the christening on German television! It was just too cool. I was telling my mom who everybody was and we shared opinions. My mom thought it pretty could that I knew all the foreign royals were. Ha! And all that thanks to TRF! I think that's pretty neat.

I really loved the whole ceremony, very classy and everybody looked wonderful. Some things which are worth mentioning:

1. I really liked Mary's suit (especially the neckline), though I wasn't too keen on the hearpiece.
2. Christian is a wonderful baby! He is just too cute!
3. Laurentien's outfit wasn't too bad, though she wore a strange hat. ;)
4. Felix and Nicolai are soooo adorable, I really loved seeing them during the ceremony.

And now I'm going to gather some pictures from this thread, which turned out great! Thanks to all who posted the pictures... :)

lys said:
Hi everyone!
I'm new in this forum. I saw the christening on line and I liked it. Everything was very formal but also very glamorous, (I love the ceremonies with red carpet, I don't know why but I love it). Princess Mathilde was fantastic, classic but elegant. Princess Mette-Marit was ok but I think she choose a dark colour for a christening, maybe I'm wrong, but it's my opinion. By the way, I never saw her wearing a hat, except in a funeral in Netherlands, probably she doesn't like hats. And Princess Mary, the proud mother, I only like the jacket, the skirt I think is for the summer. My mum says she doesn't like how she holds the baby, she says it's better with the arm under the baby dress to show the wonderful dress, like Princess Letizia in Spain with baby Leonor.

(Sorry if I write something wrong, my English isn't perfect).:)

Hi, fellow Spaniard! Welcome to this place!

I think each mother has a particular way of holding the child, I'm a guy so I'm one of those persons that avoid holding small babies out of fear of breaking them :p. Maybe the forum ladies with kids can elaborate more on Princess Mary's style of holding Prince Christian on these pictures?

Last edited:
I just have one weird question.....

Isn't the weather really cold that day? how come Mary is only in a suit without even a jacket or scarf??

Also, is the little Prince Christian warm enough in that christening robe?!! I thought that christening robe is made of lace (or some material that's not for winter)??

Thank you to everyone for the pictures! The women looked lovely especially Princesses Mathilde and Alexandra, elegant as always. Mette-Marit looked wonderful to me. I didn't like Mary's headpiece and the skirt was too light weight and floaty for a winter christening. Baby Christian is as cute as anything. Mary seemed to look a little stiff and cold when she entered the church, but I was glad that she relaxed and enjoyed the ceremony later on. Welcome lys!:cool:

Some news articles related to Prince Christian's Christening:
Prince Christian greets world

Royal heir is christened:
From: AAP From correspondents in Copenhagen January 22, 2006

No one mentioned this funny incident but it is on the Australian press: :)
The link I found refers to Prince Chistian as Princess Mary's little Kingaroo, (get it? Kangaroo + King = Kingaroo, very cute!)
Danes dub Mary's boy 'Prince Grabby'
Date: 22/01/06 By Chris Lines

Also from Australia's press, this one is related to the secrecy kept on Christian's name until the Christening ceremony:
Big names gather but one name missing

Another news report on the Christening
Take a bow, Prince Christian
Fiona Hudson in Copenhagen 22jan06

This article, also from Australia, declares the baby as an Aussie Prince on the headline. I think the baby is very lucky to have two countries love him so much.
Christian Valdemar Henri John - Aussie prince
By Annabel Crabb Copenhagen, January 22, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
bigheadshirmp said:
I just have one weird question.....

Isn't the weather really cold that day? how come Mary is only in a suit without even a jacket or scarf??

Also, is the little Prince Christian warm enough in that christening robe?!! I thought that christening robe is made of lace (or some material that's not for winter)??

There are radiators in the church, and there is even heat in the floor. Usually the temperature is 19 degrees Celcius, but for the occasion the heat was turned up to 21 degrees.

purple_platinum said:
btw, where is Prince Richard, husband of Princess Benedikte? also Princess Nathalie, and Prince Philippos?

Richard was sick and had to cancel. Nathalie couldn't attend, because she was at a horse show (something like that). Philippos is in the US studying.

Thank you everyone for posting pictures and comments - it's been a great joy to go through the thread.:)

I had a great day watching the christening for most of the day. I watched everything on tv starting at 07.00 on DR1. Then I started taping from TV2 at 10.00 while watching the christening at DR1. When the broadcasting ended at DR1 at 15.00 I watched most of what I'd taped from TV2.:D Early in the evening I watched the programs TV2 and DR1 had on the christening. It's one of the best Saturdays I've had in a long time.:)

I thought it was a beautiful ceremony and I loved every minute of it. I thought the choices of godparents were great, and it was a nice surprise that both Haakon and Mette-Marit were chosen. I loved seeing Mary with her son - such tender and beautiful moments - and when Christian smiled - aaaawwww, it was so beautiful and he's sooo adorable. I thought it was very touching and beautiful to see the godparents paying so much attention to Christian. It was lovely to see the tender and romantic moments between Frederik and Mary, and the same with Haakon and Mette-Marit. It was also so sweet, beautiful and tender to see Joachim with his sons. It was adorable to see him hold Felix and play with Nikolai.
A funny moment in my opinion in church was when Victoria and Pavlos tilted their heads to the same side at the same time to see Christian. Another funny moment was when one of the commentators on DR1 said that Philippe and Mathilde were matching each other in their outfits.

I also liked the name. I think it was obvious that he would be named Christian. My guess for his name was Christian Henri John Frederik, so getting 3 out of 4 names right isn't bad.:D

As for outfits I liked most of them. I thought Mary looked really beautiful. Alexandra was also beautiful and stunning. I liked the foreign royal ladies outfits, and thought they looked very beautiful except for Mette-Marit really. I wasn't a big fan of her outfit or the bow in her hair.:eek: Another outfit I didn't really like was - Henrik's.:D I think it looks good on a man when he wears a pink or purple tie or shirt, but I don't think Henrik's suit was dark blue enough to pull off wearing a pink shirt and tie.:D

There was also another thing I wasn't too fond of - the foreign royals were not shown on tv enough.:D It seemed at times that the cameras were too busy filming politicians and other non-royal people. At times two places were shown on tv at the same time - one from inside the church and one of the guest arriving. But that changed towards the end, and the foreign royals were really only shown arriving at church and not seen walking to their seats. The same happened after the ceremony ended when they went to the reception. I didn't see many of the foreign royals inside Christiansborg when they walked past the reporters. But then it's great to see pictures of that.:) I did like that the channels kept broadcasting until all the royals had left Christiansborg and went back to Amalienborg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that I get a little peeved that the Australian media often call Christian, the Australian Prince...he is not. He has Australian heritage and family but he himself is not Australian...

However, I am sure he will enjoy his trips here as he gets older and shall gain a great appreciation & love for his mother's homeland.

"MII"

Last edited:
I think the baptism was very beautiful...it was funny how the baby kept on crying... great choice of godparents and really nice name....oh yeah what an adorable baby, gosh he is so cute and chubby...

Photos from Newscom
#1: Princess Mette Marit looking at Prince Christian
#2: Princess Alexandra of Denmark and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece exchange their mobile phone numbers after the baptism of Danish Prince Christian in the Christiansborg palace in Copenhagen, Denmark, 21 January 2006.

I fell in love with little Christian. He is really cute.:)

I Just saw the video and I Must say I Almost shed a tear :) Mary seems to be a wonderful mother and looks beautiful to boot lol

I think princess Mary is very careful for little Christian. She's good mother

I love the photo of Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Marie Chantal exchanging phone numbers. :D The godparents of Prince Christian or any royal baby for that matter, do they play a significant role in the baby's life? Most of them are off in their own respective countries, so I'm just wondering about the actual relationship between godparent and godchild. I know Queen Margarethe is Carl Philip's godmother, but I don't know how particularly close they are.

I thought the entire ceremony was beautiful...typical of how the Danish Royal do things!

I know this all came up in another discussion board but is there any way i can view any video of the ceremony now? Thanks!

Actually, the more i see Mary's hat...the more it grows on me but i can't imagine how cold she must be in the light skirt when everyone were all wrapped up against the cold winter wind! And the brooch....well....it's to die for! Wondered if Alexandra got anything when she gave birth her sons?

Back
Top Bottom