The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
And won't Zara be participating in the London Olympics 2012 in the equestrian events?

Whether Zara will make the team is yet to be determined. There will be a number of selection events and if she isn't good enough, or her horse has another breakdown as happened in 2004 and 2008 then she will miss out again.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Commoner

Camilla, D of C has found a consistent and in my opinion, regal style. It is age appropriate and suits her station in life. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
Zara Phillips looked very much in love and although her dress was a tad long she looked happy and confident. The Princess Royal should take a page out of HM's book. She doesn't seem too fussed about fashion but her contessa skirt, " drapes from the downstairs lav" jacket and lack of appropriate head piece seemed a bit strange for her daughters wedding. The look on her face was of sheer pride which made up for her fashion blunder. Were Zara's earrings of any historial significance?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
I wonder, do you sleep with your boxing gloves on?

If there is a false choice (flattering vs. avant garde) in her posting, it came from me. Baroness was just responding to something I had written:
Yes, the dress could have been more flattering, but I still think she looked absolutely beautiful. In a choice between something avant garde and imaginative vs. a dress that is unquestionably pretty, I think she made the right choice from the moment she picked a designer. She was relaxed and happy and I think that is infinitely more important than making a fashion statement.
Loathe though I am to admit it, I probably do wear boxing gloves even in my sleep.

In both the Kate and Charlene discussion, somehow disliking the gown got boiled down to "you must dislike it because it's not cutting edge enough" and if you liked the gown, it got boiled down to "proud defender of traditional wedding gowns." Which is not the case, and definitely not the case here. (Most of the comments here seem to be about fit and/or suitability to body type, nothing to do the dress design itself but it was headed in the "you must dislike it because..." and that annoys me. I dislike the dress on Zara, but not because it's not edgy.)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc
Camilla, D of C has found a consistent and in my opinion, regal style. It is age appropriate and suits her station in life. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
Zara Phillips looked very much in love and although her dress was a tad long she looked happy and confident. The Princess Royal should take a page out of HM's book. She doesn't seem too fussed about fashion but her contessa skirt, " drapes from the downstairs lav" jacket and lack of appropriate head piece seemed a bit strange for her daughters wedding. The look on her face was of sheer pride which made up for her fashion blunder. Were Zara's earrings of any historial significance?
Never mind, just found the earrings in an engagement photo of her mother and Captain Mark Phillips from 1972. she has them paired with the Festoon Tiara. She looks stunning.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
. Catherine, D of C seems to also be finding her own place and I'm happy to see that she let the bride shine on her day (more in line with HM the Queen Mother than Diana, Princess of Wales).
I do not think Diana would purposely outshine the bride. She could not help it. She just looked stunning in any outfit she wore. The press focused on her- not her idea. In short she was Diana!
Quote from Diana, Memories of a Rose:
Diana on the telephone to a friend who invited her to be at her wedding, 1996:
" I will wear a paper bag. then everybody will focus on you!"
Not exactly the kind of comment one would make if one planned to outshine the bride, IMO.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Diana had "It" .... And "It" has nothing to do with beauty. It's an indescribable "thing" that one has! She could have worn a sack and she would have turned heads
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Zara looked stunning on her wedding day. She chose a gown not to please everyone else or the fashion critics but one that "felt right" for her and I think she did a fantastic job!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Majesty

I think roseroyal and suztav hit the nail on the head. Diana just had a presence. She couldn't help who she was or how people reacted towards her.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
I think Zara looked stunning on her wedding day. She chose a gown not to please everyone else or the fashion critics but one that "felt right" for her and I think she did a fantastic job!
I can not agree more strongly! Zara did look stunning, her gown was classic, elegant and beautiful. She and Mike radiated joy and I actually enjoyed the little I could see of this wedding more than I did the Cambridge Wedding in April.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Courtier

I never thougt i would say this, but i think Princess Beatrice was the best dressed in this wedding. A perfect outfit for here and the colour was just amazing
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

And why not ..... the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals .... and where did Bea and Eug get at least some of her looks from?
Their mother.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Luna View Post
I never thougt i would say this, but i think Princess Beatrice was the best dressed in this wedding. A perfect outfit for here and the colour was just amazing
It was a beautiful shade Princess Luna and rather complimentary for Princess Beatrice.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Diana had "It" .... And "It" has nothing to do with beauty. It's an indescribable "thing" that one has! She could have worn a sack and she would have turned heads
I do dislike disagreeing, but had Diana not become engaged to Charles, she would have drifted into the shadows. Her "it-ness" was created by the media.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Some of us older posters might refer to it as a certain ' je ne sais quoi '.....

"It" isn't really good enough....

Wiktionary to the rescue !
je ne sais quoi - Wiktionary
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

LOL. Right you are, Renata. I was attempting to relate to the youngsters. I'm old as dirt.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
It was a beautiful shade Princess Luna and rather complimentary for Princess Beatrice.

Yes it was Daisiesforever
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
And why not ..... the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals .... and where did Bea and Eug get at least some of her looks from?
Their mother.
Fascinating. I thought the BRF was known for being almost comically unattractive and marrying in good looks.

" the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals" I have never heard anything remotely close to this said of the BRF.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Nobility

Well Fascinator, I agree. I would call most of the Royal Family normal looking people (even women on their best days I would call them at most handsome). There are some exceptions, of course (as in all families)- a handful of true beauties (born or married into the family).

PS: Handsome meaning pleasant to look at.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Zara Phillips: 'Wedding was amazing, shame about the honeymoon!' | Mail Online
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
Fascinating. I thought the BRF was known for being almost comically unattractive and marrying in good looks.

" the Family boasts so many good-looking individuals" I have never heard anything remotely close to this said of the BRF.
That's quite funny, yet sadly true! Princess Eugenie is quite pretty though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Well Fascinator, I agree. I would call most of the Royal Family normal looking people (even women on their best days I would call them at most handsome). There are some exceptions, of course (as in all families)- a handful of true beauties (born or married into the family).

PS: Handsome meaning pleasant to look at.
It is true that the "pretty" genes of the BRF married into it, providing the family with some better looking individuals (Prince's William and Harry being examples, inheriting some of the Spencer genes, thank god.)

I like that Zara and Mike are waiting for a honeymoon. Shows they are committed to their jobs.

Tags
mike tindall, wedding, zara phillips