The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Several people have remarked that Kate looked bland; I think this was a deliberate choice on her part, to avoid upstaging the bride. She would hardly have worn a five-year-old dress if she wished to attract attention.
Yes! Aside from being the recycle queen (or would that be duchess?), I think it was a wise choice to wear something that didn't have a huge WOW factor. She could have worn a sack and still she would have attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It seems Catherine just can't win; she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, as the saying goes.
Soooo true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post

if it's the brides decision for wedding party members to wear white find but etiquette dictates no white for guests but as had been pointed out many no longer follow this...plus in US at least you rarely see bridesmaid/flower girls in white...
My cousin got married several years ago and requested that ALL female guests wear white. I still have no idea why, other than she thought is would be neat. Her dress had a black band around the waist and her bridesmaids wore black dresses with a white band around the waist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I suspect that when Catherine produces the first born there will be those who say she did it just for the attention.
LOL! They've been married 3 months now. They've only got 9 months to keep up the "before the 1st anniversary" tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Here's Princess Anne's 1973 photo in Vogue wearing the earrings she either loaned or gave Zara. What a looker back then -

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/...fc6cf58758.jpg
She was gorgeous! She's not hideous now, don't get me wrong, but she was stunning when she was younger.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm going to be honest, Zara's dress was horrible IMO. Zara herself look radiant and I simply love her smile, but that dress is just wrong. Especially the different material trim on the bottom. Looks like she's stepped in water and come back out.

Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Sophie definite highlights for me, they all look stunning.

My question; what's with the celebrities? Una Heely, Katherine Kelly, Eeeek.
Yes, Zara's gown does have that "loving hands, made-at-home" look. The rest of her was lovely. Not a whole lot more to say.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

What I like so much about the Meander tiara is the central laurel wreath set in the front. It's a subtle but great symbolism of the Olympics since in the ancient games the winners of competitions in sports and poetry were awarded laurel wreaths instead of the current medal. And won't Zara be participating in the London Olympics 2012 in the equestrian events? I just love that she wore this tiara, not only because it looked so good on her, but also the acknowledgment of her sports background and the upcoming Olympics (whether intentional or not). Here's a nice closeup of the tiara:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XXy7Gl5rQo...araCloseUp.jpg
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik -Zara Phillips and Mike Tindal's wedding - Additional details
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Nobility

Other members of the BRF at the wedding ?

I have seen no pictures of other members of the royal family at the wedding : no Gloucester, no Kent, weren't they invited ? Or maybe it was really an immediate family gathering ?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!...
It must be a family thing...Charles's daughter-in-law was wearing a remade bedspread and a very ugly hat.

Time for a change in hat styles.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Royal Highness

A bit about the reception- Zara wore another dress I guess.....and according royalreporter no one say Kate and Will leave even early morning and yesterday their bodyguard was still there so he suspects they snuck out the back or remained until everyone left....(just his guess)

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...Mike-and-Zara-
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=KittyAtlanta;1295935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!...QUOTE]

It must be a family thing...Charles's daughter-in-law was wearing a remade bedspread.
I had a vision of Charles wearing his kilt; I don't think it would have seemed too OTT since he wears them at the Scottish games. And I thought Katherine's coat looked too big on her now; she needed to have it altered to fit her slimmer frame.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
It's a day later and I like the gown more. However, I agree with others: it should have been better fitted and the shoulders redone in a flattering way.

In some ways, it reminds me of a medieval or Renassaince costume with the dropped waist, contrasting ribbon on the bottom hem and pleating. From what little I know about Zara, she seems to have a sense of humor, so perhaps her particular choice this dress was a subtle wink at people's expectations for theatrics and the fanfare that royal weddings get.

Countess, where'd you find the close-ups of the wedding dress?
Oh, I wish I remembered the site. I stumbled on it. It had several pictures, which we have seen on this site, many times, but there was the gown on her and enlarged. I was able to, clearly, see that hunk on the bottom. I cannot explain this, as it just looked like a tall girl who borrowed a dress from a shorter girl and added big piece of fabric. It would have been okay, if it were an heirloom, adjusted to her height. She should have gone to Klienfeld's in New York. Whomever, helped her pick the gown, thought nothing about how it would look on her. No one wants to look "humerous" on their wedding day.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Countess and CordeliaFitzgerald -

Perhaps this might be what you're looking for:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WeUBPOHMLg...0684_qzcXL.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jsZRH4-JN7...6090_pS29c.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5KoqmhFfIo...5841_3xMmd.jpg
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggrd View Post
Can some one please confirm for me whether Zara's dress was custom made or off the rack. I have read a few articles, and some have said it was custom made, and others have said it was an off the rack dress. Thanks very much :-)
Off the rack.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com
Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Courtier

well, I know I am going to get slammed for this, so please keep in mind that this is just "my" opinion, but I really do not think she was a pretty bride. She is not the typical "pretty" girl to begin with. And she is by far,not an "ugly" girl either. But very rarely do you see a bride that is not transformed into something special on her wedding day.
As for her dress, well, with her past fashion sense, I expected something "different" from her. But not "boring" as this dress was.
But i did really like all the morning suits on the guys, Loved the church, and the girls dresses were very pretty.
I also LOVED the flowers.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Zara Phillips wedding: Married 2 days and she's ALREADY Mike Tindall's rugby widow | Mail Online
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

I was very impressed by Zara's choice of gown and thought it suited her. It was very elegant, simple, and tasteful.

I was also VERY happy with Beatrice and Eugenie! Good for them!!!!!!! Bea looked quite svelte in her fitted jacket. Had Eugenie removed that big bow, it would have been perfect.

The Countess of Wessex - STUNNING. Stunning color, fit, (her body looks amazing), hat, sooo chic!

I agree with you all that Catherine deliberately downplayed her outfit so as not to detract from Zara. I do lover the coat and the new hat. She looked so lovely.

Princess Anne...well, she has her moments with what I like. I liked the color and some of the detailing on her.

Lady Sarah - sharp, simple, classic - loved the color white and black combo.

The Queen - beautiful as always, reliable, and pretty color.

Camilla - God love her, only she could pull that fascinator? of epic size off. I did love the color too!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

E's bow on the rear- it looks odd, and I don't like it, would not choose it for myself, but it is less horrid than I was expecting- based on comments on here. It is noot like a huge bow planted on her skirt right at her rear end.
It comes off to the side off her top.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

There is a difference, though. If my parents divorce, and my dad has a child with his new girlfriend, they're my half-sister/half-brother. We aren't full siblings because we don't share two parents, we're half-siblings because we share one parent, a father.

If my parents divorce, and my dad marries a woman with a daughter from a previous marriage/relationship, his new wife would be my step-mother, and her daughter would become my stepsister. She would not be my half-sister, because we share no parents genetically.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

Wedding belles? Liz Jones on the style hits... and misses | Mail Online

STEP SISTER: Relationship defined by marriage
HALF SISTER: Relationship defined by blood

Often, there is an overlap, but they are different.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
. I like Zara's gown, but not on her. It makes her waist look fat and her arms lumpy. It doesn't suit her figure at all. On another bride, it would look elegant, on her it looks matronly.

Have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? Most the wedding gowns on there are...typical, usual, not statements...but the bride makes the bland, boring dress stand out, become dramatic and amazing, by how well it fits her body type.

I agree!
I did like the dress, but not on Zara. It just didn't suit her, imo.

(The reverse of Victoria of Sweden; in her case I didn't like the dress but felt it suited her).
Btw, that show- SYTTD- is weirdly fascinating, isn't it?

I'll probably get criticized for this, but I was very VERY disappointed in Mike Tindall!
Has the man never been to a wedding before?
But there he was at his own, chomping on gum, with enough junk stuffed into his pockets to to make them look like camouflage pants.

Really classy.
Well, I guess Zara didn't choose him for his elegant manners.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
well, I know I am going to get slammed for this, so please keep in mind that this is just "my" opinion, but I really do not think she was a pretty bride. She is not the typical "pretty" girl to begin with. And she is by far,not an "ugly" girl either. But very rarely do you see a bride that is not transformed into something special on her wedding day.
As for her dress, well, with her past fashion sense, I expected something "different" from her.
I have to admit these were my sentiments too. I didn't find this brought out the best in Zara, but she did look very happy and the whole occasion looked great fun.

Tags
mike tindall, wedding, zara phillips