Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, one thing I haven't seen addressed here is what was hanging on Zara's ears? Looks like Duchess of Cambridge earrings to me....something borrowed perhaps?

My understanding it that the tiara is the something borrowed - from her mother.

The tiara was Princess Alice's wedding gift to the Queen in 1947 and the Queen gave it to Anne in 1972 who lent it to Zara for her wedding.

or left earlier ...
true true they could have left the Queen's official residence(assuming that's where they were staying) very early in the morning before papz were camped out, since William needs to get back for work.

Last edited:
Wow I just got through reading most of the thread and to me Zara is and has always been beautiful. I really liked this grandiose occasion where I got to see the ethereal. To me Zara is truly royal from my observations and I like her spirit that seems to carry no nonsense and loyalty in appearances. I liked her smile and how her hair, the tiara, and veil added to what is a great wedding ensemble. I loved it and them.

They are married!! That's great! I feel happiness for Mike, Zara and family. Mark Phillips and Princess Anne must be proud. I'm happy for them.

Everyone was attired nicely. Those hats were ethereal and otherworldly. I liked Queen Elizabeth's garment the most. I'm a fan of her choice of wardrobe. She looks great about always and doesn't disappoint. Camilla also looked really nice. The most handsome man was Harry. He is looking more like a real Prince Charming. I hope fun was had by all. May Zara understand that she is a wonder by circumstance and that her blood carry onwards towards regality, loyalty and possibly/hopefully the Olympics. I find her to be favorable in my heart. Bless you your majesty and Cheeeeers!! :britflag: :unicorn: :fireworks:

Last edited:
Zara did indeed look lovely. Her hair was beautifully done and the Greek Meander tiara was a complimentary and elegant choice. It looked lovely with the veil. However, the wedding gown was a huge let down. The bodice made her look plump and the gown was badly made. Hardly designer quality at all. However Zara and Mike do make a wonderful couple. Congratulations to them both.

Princess Anne looked lovely, however the collar on her blouse was too large to be elegant, especially from the rear. HM was absolutely beautiful in her shade of pale salmon pink, along with Kate in champagne and Sophie in beige. These were by far the best dressed women. Camilla looked totally aweful. The hat was so unflattering and over the top as usual (like something from a "drag" show) and the "chunky" necklace was not even suitable. All I can say is "poor Charles".

Last edited:
To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

Wedding belles? Liz Jones on the style hits... and misses | Mail Online

A step sibling is where two people with existing children marry so their children become step siblings - e.g. William and Harry are stepbrothers to Camilla's two children, Tom and Laura.

A half sibling is where children have one common parent and one not common parent e.g. Zara and Peter are Stephanie's half-siblings as they all have Mark as a father but different mothers. All three of these people have another half-sister in NZ - Mark's illegitimate daughter, Felicity that he and they have never seen.

Last edited:
I'd like to wish them lots of happiness!!!! :twohearts: I'm not too keen on Zara's choices, I thought she would look absolutely ravishing, to my disappointment. Both the wedding dress and the ugly Greek tiara let me down. :ermm:

I'm not into tiaras, but the Greek Meander tiara looked just right for Zara to wear.
She did it justice.

Regardless of the look of the tiara - and it is gorgeous (it was on display in 2002 at the V&A as part of their display of tiaras as part of the Queen's Jubilee celebrations and I saw it then) it also has personal meaning for Zara.

It was a wedding present to The Queen from her mother-in-law and then the Queen gave that tiara to Anne in 1972 - so Anne got her grandmother's tiara and has loaned it to Zara - a lovely family piece.

Several people have remarked that Kate looked bland; I think this was a deliberate choice on her part, to avoid upstaging the bride. She would hardly have worn a five-year-old dress if she wished to attract attention.

Yes! Aside from being the recycle queen (or would that be duchess?), I think it was a wise choice to wear something that didn't have a huge WOW factor. She could have worn a sack and still she would have attention.

It seems Catherine just can't win; she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, as the saying goes.

Soooo true.

if it's the brides decision for wedding party members to wear white find but etiquette dictates no white for guests but as had been pointed out many no longer follow this...plus in US at least you rarely see bridesmaid/flower girls in white...

My cousin got married several years ago and requested that ALL female guests wear white. I still have no idea why, other than she thought is would be neat. :confused: Her dress had a black band around the waist and her bridesmaids wore black dresses with a white band around the waist.

I suspect that when Catherine produces the first born there will be those who say she did it just for the attention. :lol:

LOL! They've been married 3 months now. They've only got 9 months to keep up the "before the 1st anniversary" tradition.

Here's Princess Anne's 1973 photo in Vogue wearing the earrings she either loaned or gave Zara. What a looker back then -

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5342167576_fc6cf58758.jpg

She was gorgeous! She's not hideous now, don't get me wrong, but she was stunning when she was younger.

I'm going to be honest, Zara's dress was horrible IMO. Zara herself look radiant and I simply love her smile, but that dress is just wrong. Especially the different material trim on the bottom. Looks like she's stepped in water and come back out.

Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Sophie definite highlights for me, they all look stunning.

My question; what's with the celebrities? Una Heely, Katherine Kelly, Eeeek.

Yes, Zara's gown does have that "loving hands, made-at-home" look. The rest of her was lovely. Not a whole lot more to say.

What I like so much about the Meander tiara is the central laurel wreath set in the front. It's a subtle but great symbolism of the Olympics since in the ancient games the winners of competitions in sports and poetry were awarded laurel wreaths instead of the current medal. And won't Zara be participating in the London Olympics 2012 in the equestrian events? I just love that she wore this tiara, not only because it looked so good on her, but also the acknowledgment of her sports background and the upcoming Olympics (whether intentional or not). Here's a nice closeup of the tiara:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XXy7Gl5rQ...ADCQ/j7SH5ZSUzRo/s400/MeanderTiaraCloseUp.jpg

Other members of the BRF at the wedding ?

I have seen no pictures of other members of the royal family at the wedding : no Gloucester, no Kent, weren't they invited ? Or maybe it was really an immediate family gathering ?

I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!...

It must be a family thing...Charles's daughter-in-law was wearing a remade bedspread and a very ugly hat.

Time for a change in hat styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!...QUOTE]

It must be a family thing...Charles's daughter-in-law was wearing a remade bedspread.

I had a vision of Charles wearing his kilt; I don't think it would have seemed too OTT since he wears them at the Scottish games. And I thought Katherine's coat looked too big on her now; she needed to have it altered to fit her slimmer frame.

It's a day later and I like the gown more. However, I agree with others: it should have been better fitted and the shoulders redone in a flattering way.

In some ways, it reminds me of a medieval or Renassaince costume with the dropped waist, contrasting ribbon on the bottom hem and pleating. From what little I know about Zara, she seems to have a sense of humor, so perhaps her particular choice this dress was a subtle wink at people's expectations for theatrics and the fanfare that royal weddings get.

Countess, where'd you find the close-ups of the wedding dress?

Oh, I wish I remembered the site. I stumbled on it. It had several pictures, which we have seen on this site, many times, but there was the gown on her and enlarged. I was able to, clearly, see that hunk on the bottom. I cannot explain this, as it just looked like a tall girl who borrowed a dress from a shorter girl and added big piece of fabric. It would have been okay, if it were an heirloom, adjusted to her height. She should have gone to Klienfeld's in New York. Whomever, helped her pick the gown, thought nothing about how it would look on her. No one wants to look "humerous" on their wedding day.

Can some one please confirm for me whether Zara's dress was custom made or off the rack. I have read a few articles, and some have said it was custom made, and others have said it was an off the rack dress. Thanks very much :)
Off the rack.

well, I know I am going to get slammed for this, so please keep in mind that this is just "my" opinion, but I really do not think she was a pretty bride. She is not the typical "pretty" girl to begin with. And she is by far,not an "ugly" girl either. But very rarely do you see a bride that is not transformed into something special on her wedding day.
As for her dress, well, with her past fashion sense, I expected something "different" from her. But not "boring" as this dress was.
But i did really like all the morning suits on the guys, Loved the church, and the girls dresses were very pretty.
I also LOVED the flowers.

I was very impressed by Zara's choice of gown and thought it suited her. It was very elegant, simple, and tasteful.

I was also VERY happy with Beatrice and Eugenie! Good for them!!!!!!! Bea looked quite svelte in her fitted jacket. Had Eugenie removed that big bow, it would have been perfect.

The Countess of Wessex - STUNNING. Stunning color, fit, (her body looks amazing), hat, sooo chic!

I agree with you all that Catherine deliberately downplayed her outfit so as not to detract from Zara. I do lover the coat and the new hat. She looked so lovely.

Princess Anne...well, she has her moments with what I like. I liked the color and some of the detailing on her.

Lady Sarah - sharp, simple, classic - loved the color white and black combo.

The Queen - beautiful as always, reliable, and pretty color.

Camilla - God love her, only she could pull that fascinator? of epic size off. I did love the color too!

To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

There is a difference, though. If my parents divorce, and my dad has a child with his new girlfriend, they're my half-sister/half-brother. We aren't full siblings because we don't share two parents, we're half-siblings because we share one parent, a father.

If my parents divorce, and my dad marries a woman with a daughter from a previous marriage/relationship, his new wife would be my step-mother, and her daughter would become my stepsister. She would not be my half-sister, because we share no parents genetically.

. I like Zara's gown, but not on her. It makes her waist look fat and her arms lumpy. It doesn't suit her figure at all. On another bride, it would look elegant, on her it looks matronly.

Have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? Most the wedding gowns on there are...typical, usual, not statements...but the bride makes the bland, boring dress stand out, become dramatic and amazing, by how well it fits her body type.

I agree!
I did like the dress, but not on Zara. It just didn't suit her, imo.

(The reverse of Victoria of Sweden; in her case I didn't like the dress but felt it suited her).
Btw, that show- SYTTD- is weirdly fascinating, isn't it?

I'll probably get criticized for this, but I was very VERY disappointed in Mike Tindall!
Has the man never been to a wedding before?
But there he was at his own, chomping on gum, with enough junk stuffed into his pockets to to make them look like camouflage pants.

Really classy.
Well, I guess Zara didn't choose him for his elegant manners.

Last edited:
well, I know I am going to get slammed for this, so please keep in mind that this is just "my" opinion, but I really do not think she was a pretty bride. She is not the typical "pretty" girl to begin with. And she is by far,not an "ugly" girl either. But very rarely do you see a bride that is not transformed into something special on her wedding day.
As for her dress, well, with her past fashion sense, I expected something "different" from her.
I have to admit these were my sentiments too. I didn't find this brought out the best in Zara, but she did look very happy and the whole occasion looked great fun.

Back
Top Bottom