Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg & Sibilla Weiller: September 8 and 24, 1994

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never liked the bottom of her gown, but it's actually not so bad when you look at it from the back. I thought her veil and especially her bouquet were the most beautiful I'd ever seen.
I remember reading a rumor in W magazine that Marie-Chantal Miller's family wanted to top this wedding (and the dress) when she married the following year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her dress! It has an innocent look to it.I love the details of the dress.And the veil is gorgeous too.

Valentino is such a master that I've always struggled to understand what might have been his inspiration for this dress. It seems to be something like a shepherdess, given the buttoned corset that cuts the bride's bust in half, and that (unfortunate) bombé ruching around the perimeter of the skirt. This is far from his most successful design, IMO... except for the veil, which is lovely. I'd go as far as to say that the dress is perhaps a bit costume-y. Bride-as-upscale shepherdess. :ermm:

Fortunately, by the time that Maxima got married in 2002, Valentino had sorted himself out and produced a stunning design!

Last edited:
Valentino is such a master that I've always struggled to understand what might have been his inspiration for this dress. It seems to be something like a shepherdess, given the buttoned corset that cuts the bride's bust in half, and that (unfortunate) bombé ruching around the perimeter of the skirt. This is far from his most successful design, IMO... except for the veil, which is lovely. I'd go as far as to say that the dress is perhaps a bit costume-y. Bride-as-upscale shepherdess. :ermm:

Fortunately, by the time that Maxima got married in 2002, Valentino had sorted himself out and produced a stunning design!

I'm a big fan of Valentino's designs, as well. I loved the dresses he made for Maxima and Marie Chantal. Sibilla's dress is really unique and the details are gorgeous. The corseted bodice is exquisite. I can see how you find it a little costume-y. I think that's what I like about it. It's so dramatic. The ruffle at the bottom doesn't bother me, although if it were gone, I would like the dress even better. And the veil is to die for. In all, it's a very old-fashioned and romantic dress.

Six Infantas of Spain were present ;Beatriz ,Cristina, Pilar,Margarita, Elena and Cristina and also Her Majesty Queen Sofia.

Never saw the Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte so happy and smiling.

Grand Duke Jean looked just as thrilled.:cool:;)

Never saw the Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte so happy and smiling.

The bride was almost as well related to the European Royal Houses as the late Grand Duchess herself.

The bride was almost as well related to the European Royal Houses as the late Grand Duchess herself.

While I know Sibilla has royal and noble blood from her mother's family - and I am sure the grand duchess was pleased that she wasn't just 'anybody' but at least had a 'decent' blood line on her mother's side (including a king of Spain as a great-grandfather and a queen of the UK as a great-great-great-grandmother) by virtue the queen of the UK, this statement seems a little far fetched.

Josephine-Charlotte:
* one generation (parents): king of Belgium, princess of Sweden
* two generations (grandparents): king of Belgium, duchess in Bavaria, prince of Sweden, princess of Denmark
* three generations (greatgrandparents): prince of Belgium, princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, duke in Bavaria, infanta of Portugal, king of Sweden, princess of Nassau, king of Denmark, princess of Sweden
* four generations (great-great-grandparents): king of Belgium, princess of Orleans, prince of Hohenzollern, princess of Baden, duke in Bavaria, princess of Bavaria, king of Portugal, princess of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, king of Sweden, princess of Leuchtenberg, duke of Nassau, princess of Württemberg, king of Denmark, princess of Hesse-Kassel, king of Sweden, princess of the Netherlands

Sibilla:
* one generation: mr Weiller, donna Torlonia
* second generation: mr Weiller, ms Diplarakou, prince of Civitella-Cesi, infanta of Spain
* third generation: mr Weiller, ms Javal, mr Diplarakou, ms Nicolessis, prince of Civitella-Cesi, ms Moore, king of Spain, princess of Battenberg
* fourth generation: mr Weiller, ms Ducasse, mr Javal, ms Elissen, (2x unknown), duke of Poli & Guadagnolo, donna Chigi della Rovere-Albani, mr Moore, ms Campbell, king of Spain, archduchess of Austria, prince of Battenberg, princess of the United Kingdom

I've always loved that they had four male attendants - each children of one of Prince Guillaume's siblings.
Note that three of the four boys were born in 1988. All very sweet.

Princess Marie-Astrid - son, Christoph of Austria (1988)
Prince Henri - son, Guillaume of Luxembourg (1981)
Princess Margaretha - son, Josef-Emanuel of Liechtenstein (1988)
Prince Jean - son, Constantin of Nassau (1988)

I still have the HOLA! magazine from this wedding. The number of royals and aristocracy who attended is amazing.

Last edited:
A great Wedding and a joy for both family. The Bride Grand Father Commandant Weiler was Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte Friend. He gave her a jewel who was in the Auction to be and cancelled.

This was a VERY grand Royal wedding...so grand that Marie Chantal Miller reportedly decided to use it as the yardstick against which her own nuptials to CP Pavlos of Greece would be measured.

She was determined to outdo the Guillaume/Sibilla nuptials at Versailles.

Whether she succeeded is a matter of taste and opinion. For sheer elegance and refinement I choose the Luxembourg wedding.;)

Last edited:
I have been trying to find the answer to this question for a while and thought I should ask anyone here if they know now that I have an account!

Does anyone here know if Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla’s wedding reception was held at the Palace of Versailles? I’ve always assumed it was since the Church was only a few minutes away but could never find anything to confirm.

A great Wedding and a joy for both family. The Bride Grand Father Commandant Weiler was Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte Friend. He gave her a jewel who was in the Auction to be and cancelled.
Sibilla’s grandfather, Paul-Louis once owned the Empress Marie-Louise diamond necklace but he sold it.

Thank you! But I was wondering if anyone knew where the gala dinner/wedding reception after the religious ceremony took place? I saw a photo of the couple and it looked like the Palace of Versailles garden, but I’m not 100% sure.

I read her Dad is very rich, so I’m sure they could’ve privatized the Palace of Versailles.

Or maybe I’ve mistaken and it was just another Chateau near Versailles

Back
Top Bottom