Christening of Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella: May 10, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:rose::twohearts:Charlene looked so happy. I have never seen her look as happy as this - motherhood obviously suits her - and how the twins have grown :)

I honestly thought the Wittstocks looked more polished than the Grimaldis today, very well put together and on point.

I would have to totally agree. The Wittstocks all looked incredible, and Charlene in particular was absolutely breathtaking. Her outfit was perfection. I kind of felt the Grimaldi clan let the side down a bit in the glamour stakes. Caroline had very obvious bruising or varicose veins and scratches on her legs that resulted in a lot of comments on newspaper sites. Stephanie, her daughters and even Alexandra seemed a little underdressed given the occasion, just quite ordinary summer dresses with no sense of occasion to them.

Did anyone else notice for part of the ceremony when the cameras panned to the Grimaldi side, Stephanie was standing with her arms folded for ages. It looked bad… have to say.

The happiness of the couple was palpable throughout the ceremony and the children are
just adorable. They are very blessed indeed. Its a beautiful cathedral too, I remember visiting it many years ago on a glorious summer day and it was as impressive as it appeared today.

The whole day was pure elegance and happiness and what a triumph for the Princess over her haters. The nasty forum board, which I'm sure many people here are familiar with, just don't know what to say anymore. I had a peek at it today and in their fury at Charlene becoming a mother of two beautiful children they have now resorted to insulting the babies themselves. It's pathetic and shows how sad and frustrated these people are. Vive the Princely family!

Merci beaucoup. Agree with you 100%. Beautiful family, beautiful Catholic baptism.

Last edited:
Was Baroness Elisabeth de Massy and her daughter Melanie present today?
I might have missed them in the various photo posted.

Yes, they were present. I wonder what it is with these two women that they never appear with their husbands ?

I watched most of the ceremony, and I thought it was lovely. There was quite a large turnout, particularly for a christening (but then again, a royal christening is perhaps a bit different, I seem to remember there were quite a lot of guests at both Princesses Estelle and Leonore of Sweden's christenings). It was lovely to see how happy Charlene looked with Albert, besides from their wedding and the twin's presentation, this is the happiest I've seen them together.

I liked that. It was more of a national celebration, everyone invited, and everyone embraced. :flowers: I know Monaco is small, but you know my meaning. Seeing all those people in the church just felt friendly and open and welcoming: 'share our joy' was the message.

It will be fun watching these little ones grow up, seeing how Charlene dresses them. ;) And watching their personalities emerge, like with little Estelle. Pleasant, sunny days of Monaco-watching ahead.

Last edited:
I liked that. It was more of a national celebration, everyone invited, and everyone embraced. :flowers: I know Monaco is small, but you know my meaning. Seeing all those people in the church just felt friendly and open and welcoming: share our joy was the message.

It will be fun watching these little ones grow up, seeing how Charlene dresses them. ;) And watching their personalities emerge, like with little Estelle. Pleasant, sunny days of Monaco-watching ahead.

I'm waiting for the photos of Charlene giving them their first swim lesson. I predict we will see that before the year is over...in other words before they even have their first birthday!:p;)

Was Baroness Elisabeth de Massy and her daughter Melanie present today?
I might have missed them in the various photo posted.

Who were the little children at the front in the group photo with the woman in the black and white striped dress? Are they part of the de Massy family? I haven't seen them before.

A lot of the de Massy family attended.
In the group picture you can see them on the first row from left to right
Sebastien Knecht (son of Christine-Alix. His wife Donatella is standing between Andrea and Alexandra)
Antoine de Massy (youngest son of Christian)
Christian de Massy
his daughter Laetiticia with her twins Rose and Sylvestre
the wife of Jean-Leonard
Jean-Leonard Taubert-Natta (son of Elisabeth)
(I don't recognise the man standing between Jean-Leonard and Elisabeth)
Elisabeth de Massy
Melanie de Luisignan

Does anyone know who the man standing next to Elisabeth is?
And who is the blond young man behind Jean-Leonard and the blondish baldish man behind Elisabeth?

Last edited:
:rose::twohearts:Charlene looked so happy. I have never seen her look as happy as this - motherhood obviously suits her - and how the twins have grown :)

Absolutely.
I have never seen her soooo beautiful and glowing in happiness
BYe Bine

Yes, they were present. I wonder what it is with these two women that they never appear with their husbands ?

Melanie is married?
Wife of Jean-Leonard is named Suzanne Chrimes.
Children of Sebastian and Donatella were not present?

Looking at the pictures taken on the steps of the cathedral I am beginning to think that these and the family group pictures taken at the alter before they left the cathedral are in fact the official pictures of the day. The combinations of parents with the children, parents, children and godparents together and the big family group are all there. I had hoped though for extra pics of the children receiving their orders but maybe that was kept private. BTW I don't speak French so can someone tell me exactly what the Pope said in his message to the Princely family?

But, according to Hola, the twins Christening wasn't the only event P. Albert and after the ceremony of condecoration of the babies, it was served a cocktail for 200 guest and a lunch for 300, after wich P. Albert and P. Caroline attended the closing of a canine exhibition at Fontvieille. For that P. Caroline took the hat she wore at church and put on a pair of dark sunglasses...

Alberto y Carolina de Mónaco, del Bautizo Real inmediatamente al trabajo

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the most beautiful bald babies I have ever seen. Very nice pictures.

The Cathedral Choir of Monaco rivals any at the Vatican itself, imo. Their sung Masses are always glorious in Monaco.

The special Hymn they always sing for the Sovereign at the end of the ceremony is so beautiful.

The choir of Monaco is reasonable but in no way hors categorie. By the way: the state of the liturgical music at the Vatican is sad. The Masses in St. Peter's Basilica are sung by the most disparate choirs, drawn from all over the world, very uneven in quality and often inadequate.

:flowers:

I have seen the broadcast from A to Z and I can assure you in no any moment Princess Caroline was trying to steal the limelight. As eldest sister to the Prince and being HRH The Princess of Hannover herself, she had the most prominent place next to the princely couple. Which aunt can resist to grab those little sweet fingers of their very own niece or nephew? I am sure: would Princess Caroline not have grabbed the little baby's finger, then she in this forum she would -of course- have been blamed for being cold, aloof, hautain, arrogant or "snubbing Charlène"... Damned if she does, damned if she does not...

But, according to Hola, the twins Christening wasn't the only event P. Albert and after the ceremony of condecoration of the babies, it was served a cocktail for 200 guest and a lunch for 300, after wich P. Albert and P. Caroline attended the closing of a canine exhibition at Fontvieille. For that P. Caroline took the hat she wore at church and put on a pair of dark sunglasses...

Ah Fontvieille... my parents have an appartment in Maussane-les-Alpilles, just 2 km furtherer... I am amazed that such a tiny little provençal village gets such prominent guest. By the way, a few kilometres away is Les Baux, one of France's most beautiful little towns, of which Prince Jacques is the present Marquis. A few kilometres furtherer is Saint-Rémy, of which the Prince is the Seigneur. Both in Les Baux as well in Saint-Rémy there are visible references to the House of Grimaldi. Maybe the Prince knows the whole area very well.

I don(t like at all the dress of caroline. and the fact she pushed the godmother of Gabriella to take the hand of Gabriella. It was not fair.

I have to say I also got the impression from the pictures I have seen that Caroline was trying to get herself centre stage.

I also watched the ceremony and due to say that I'm impressed, Charlene was at ease with people and they seem genuinely like her.

Babies are too cute and they have a very strong tie like only twins could have. Maybe it's just me but I mentioned baby boy is " stronger" than baby girl, at this age one of twins seems to be " stronger", it's just like some other pairs of twins I saw. And Jacques was so active.

Boy is a spitting image of his mom and baby girl resembles a lot to Albert.

Caroline may have inveigled herself into a prime spot but she most certainly did not push Gabriella's godmother. She may well have wanted more limelight, must be hard to give way when you've been the top dog (as it were) for so long. The godmother didn't seem bothered as she was busy posing for the cameras.

Fontvieille is a district of Monaco. The Fontvieille you are referring to is different.

I watched the entire ceremony throughout the night! In my opinion it was a personal triumph for P Charlene and for Monaco on the whole.

Some posters have said that the Wittstock ladies were better turned out than P Albert's family. I tend to agree with that. It looks like the younger girls just grabbed something from their closets and didn't bother to get something special for the occasion. Beatrice on the other hand looked elegant as usual. Are there clear pics of the Wittstock ladies anywhere? They looked well dressed for the occasion, P Charlene's mom in particular is still a very attractive lady.

I wish her parents had a more prominent position at the proceedings. They are not Royalty, I know, but they are the ONLY grandparents of the twins.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Little Jacques and little Gabriella have already their princely monograme, we see them on their christening gowns.

And also large versions of their monograms were laid on top of flowers outside the cathedral. Gabriella's is quite similar to Grace's.

More likely that Caroline just loves kids and is excited about her brother's babies.

Fontvieille is a district of Monaco. The Fontvieille you are referring to is different.

Ow I stand corrected. I was already thinking: "How did they make it by car?" (260 km) on such a busy day....

I have looked up: Fontvieille is the new annex to Monaco (the extension into the sea).

[...]
Some posters have said that the Wittstock ladies were better turned out than P Albert's family. I tend to agree with that. [...]

I thought from Prince Albert's side Madame Diane de Polignac de Barros Nigra looked exceptionally stylish. She is related to Prince Albert, who himself is a son and grandson to a De Polignac. The House Chalençon-Polignac is one of the eldest noble Houses in France. (Prince Albert's grandfather Pierre de Polignac assumed the surname 'Grimaldi' upon marriage).

I have seen the broadcast from A to Z and I can assure you in no any moment Princess Caroline was trying to steal the limelight. As eldest sister to the Prince and being HRH The Princess of Hannover herself, she had the most prominent place next to the princely couple. Which aunt can resist to grab those little sweet fingers of their very own niece or nephew? I am sure: would Princess Caroline not have grabbed the little baby's finger, then she in this forum she would -of course- have been blamed for being cold, aloof, hautain, arrogant or "snubbing Charlène"... Damned if she does, damned if she does not...

I definitely agree with you. In no way did I see Caroline holding little Gabriella's hand as attention-stealing whatsoever, what I saw was a loving aunt doting on her niece.

You have put it really well - completely agree. Caroline loves children.

I hope they will realease some pictures of the twins or do some photo op !!

I hope it too but it seems they haven't relased any official portrait so far...

The choir of Monaco is reasonable but in no way hors categorie. By the way: the state of the liturgical music at the Vatican is sad. The Masses in St. Peter's Basilica are sung by the most disparate choirs, drawn from all over the world, very uneven in quality and often inadequate.

Maybe it's because I am comparing it to the mostly abysmal Catholic liturgical music in most U.S. parishes Duc, but my opinion is that the Choir of the Cathedral of St. Nicholas in Monaco is indeed "hors categorie." I still get a lump in my throat when I remember the haunting, achingly beautiful Requiem Mass sung for Princess Grace there in 1982. I wish there was a CD or DVD instead of bits and pieces on youtube.

I do agree with you that the singing of the Vatican choir(s) have grown progressively worse. It's mostly a cacophony of different voices singing out of tune now.

C4A, I could not possibly agree more with you regarding Princess Charlene. Yesterday was a great day for the Principality and a special triumph for her. When I remember her rocky beginning as a Consort, it's amazing how far she has come. She is consistently the most elegant and best-dressed of princesses, her charitable endeavors speak for themselves, and now she has provided the proverbial Heir and spare. I still wish she could master French, but no matter. She's probably too modest and kind to gloat at this point but I wouldn't blame her if she did.;)

Finally, about Princess Caroline of Hanover. Agree with FanofMonaco and Duc et Pair and everyone else who said she was not trying to reclaim any spotlight yesterday. It's become fashionable to take digs at her now. She is not the "It Girl" that she was in Monaco and the rest of Europe for decades. But don't forget that for many years after the death of Grace and Rainier's subsequent grief and decline, it was beautiful, brilliant Caroline who held up the side. She was raising a young family and still tending to the intellectual and cultural and artistic events that gave Monaco what prestige it had, and still has. I still have a copy of Point de Vue from the 80's/90's proclaiming that fact and opining that without Caroline, Monaco would no longer be Monaco.

In short, Caroline can pretty much rest on her laurels but she continues to do her share in Monaco, which is a great thing. Because to be honest as much as I like and admire Princess Charlene, the intellectual and cultural life of the Principality is not her area of strength or interest.

Last edited:
There are alot of photos who show caroline near her brother a lot of readers on french sites are saying she had not to be there between the godmother of Gabriella and Albert, I think that it was not a big idea to do the photos here because there are no place for everybody. It is strange that Charlene's parents who are the grandparents were hidden in the stairs. we don't see Mike and Lynette Wittstock. The same in the Church, there was a photo with Stéphanie and Caroline and her nephews and nièces but the only grandparents of the babies are not on the photo.

I don(t like at all the dress of caroline. and the fact she pushed the godmother of Gabriella to take the hand of Gabriella. It was not fair.

I liked Princess Caroline's ensemble, especially without the hat later in the day. :flowers:

Actually, I have a hunch about what Caroline was doing. ;) Prince Albert was carrying his daughter in a very stiff way (I thought). He didn't seem as easy moving her around in his arms, whereas Charlene obviously had the position (upright) in hand so that Jacques was able to look about. The way Albert held Gabriella she was bound to lay on her back, and it seemed that there was an attempt to get Albert to hold the infant more upright as they exited the church so that she would look out to the crowds the way Jacques was.

Anyway, as they are walking down the aisle of the church to exit, Gabriella somehow slides back into an 'on-her-back' position. (I even heard the French announcers laughing, though I don't know if they were doing so because of Albert's clueless holding of his daughter). Albert seemed oblivious, probably just happy he was making it through the whole event. (This is so cute). By the time they are at the open door, Gabriella is back in her upright position in Albert's arms, as though someone 'fixed' the situation, and I think it was Caroline. :p Hence Caroline wound up hovering a bit to make sure the infant didn't suddenly descend to flat-on-her-back again. It makes sense that Caroline would correct her brother and not the godmother (at this stage and at this event).

One other thing I noticed: I think Charlene may have instructed Albert to place his hand to block the sun shining directly into Gabriella's eyes. While Albert did as he was told :p his hand missed the mark and Gabriella still had the sun in her eyes. I find the tableau adorable: the hulky, uncomfortable Albert braced by his wife and sister, making sure he handled his one charge safely.

You could see Caroline and Charlene smiling with each other, they knew what they were having to do. That's my spin, and I may be wholly off, but that's what I thought was happening and it completely charmed me. :flowers:

Last edited:
Lady Nimue, Caroline is a very maternal woman-always has been-and as other posters pointed out she adores babies and children.

I think your interpretation of that scene is spot on.;)

Back
Top Bottom