Princely House de Ligne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Message from Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa on the death of Prince Wauthier de Ligne.
It is with great sadness that Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess learned of the death of His Royal Highness Prince Wauthier de Ligne, who died on Monday at the age of 70.

Born on July 10, 1952 at the Château de Beloeil in Belgium, Prince Wauthier is the second child of Prince Antoine de Ligne (1925–2005) and Princess Alix of Luxembourg (1929–2019), younger sister of Grand Duke Jean.

The funeral will take place on Monday August 22 at 11 a.m. in the Saint-Pierre church in Beloeil.
https://monarchie.lu/en/node/2682

Thank you, Blog Real. I wonder how personally close the Grand Duke was to his Belgian first cousin.

While Prince Wauthier was a member of the Grand-Ducal Family of Luxembourg (the new house laws of 2012 conferred membership on all of the marital descendants of Grand Duchess Charlotte together with their spouses), I assume the "His Royal Highness" in the announcement is an error and not the Grand Duke having upgraded his cousin from HH.

http://algr.be/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/de-Ligne-Wauthier-Annonce-LLB-12.pdf

According to the official death announcement Paul Weinberg and Princess Melanie de Ligne have three sons: Felix, Leopold and Tassilo.

Thank you for sharing this.

All of the married women, including Mélanie (Mrs. Paul Weingarten), are styled with the names of their husbands, in conformity with the old Belgian noble practice:

Prince and Princess Philippe of Ligne
Mr. and Mrs. Paul Weingarten
Baron and Baroness Baudouin Gillés of Pèlichy
etc.

Last edited:
Why daughters of Princess Elisabeth de Ligne and her husband Baeon Gilles de Pelichy don't have a title of Baroness?

Death of Prince Wauthier de Ligne, aged 70, on 15 August 2022, after a long illness.

https://www.lavenir.net/regions/wal...wauthier-de-ligne-76IMWOQ6SVBARNTI5EJMABOHOE/

The Funeral of Prince Wauthier take place today 22 August in the Saint-Pierre church in Beloeil, Belgium.

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=22-08-2022 Belgium

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2022/08/22/funeral_of_prince_wauthier_de_ligne,_beloeil

Among the guests Prince Guillaume with Princess Sibylla, Prince Jean and his wife Diane, Archduke Carl Christian with Archduchess Marie Astrid

Last edited:
Thank you, Blog Real. I wonder how personally close the Grand Duke was to his Belgian first cousin.

While Prince Wauthier was a member of the Grand-Ducal Family of Luxembourg (the new house laws of 2012 conferred membership on all of the marital descendants of Grand Duchess Charlotte together with their spouses), I assume the "His Royal Highness" in the announcement is an error and not the Grand Duke having upgraded his cousin from HH.

Thank you for sharing this.

All of the married women, including Mélanie (Mrs. Paul Weingarten), are styled with the names of their husbands, in conformity with the old Belgian noble practice:

Prince and Princess Philippe of Ligne
Mr. and Mrs. Paul Weingarten
Baron and Baroness Baudouin Gillés of Pèlichy
etc.
The families have always been close I think because they aren’t far apart in age, similar social circles and one of Grand Duchess Stefanie’s family members married into the family. I don’t think the house law you speak of applies to the de Lignes.

People of Beloeil always loved their Princes.
Prince Wauthier de Ligne had funerals I expected !
His Widow Princess Regine is wearing the Starry Cross such as Archduchesses Marie Astrid and Marie Hélène her Sister in law. The 14 th Prince de Ligne wore the Golden Fleece , the only one in Belgium I think.
Mistakes concerning the Siblings.
A lot of sorrow for a Prince who was ill since a long time and only 70. His Aunt Archduchess Yolande born Princess de Ligne is nearly 100.
R.I.P.

Last edited:

The announcement linked states 'Son Altesse', so 'His Highness'; where did you find the 'royale' part?

For his parents SA le Prince de Ligne et SAR la Princesse de Ligne , née Princesse Alix de Luxembourg.
It is just the same for his Brother Prince Michel : SA le Prince de Ligne et SAR la Princesse de Ligne , née Princesse d' Orleans Bragance.

The announcement linked states 'Son Altesse', so 'His Highness'; where did you find the 'royale' part?
It does say "Son Altesse Royale"
"C’est avec une grande tristesse que Leurs Altesses Royales le Grand-Duc et la Grande-Duchesse ont appris la disparition de Son Altesse Royale le Prince Wauthier de Ligne, survenue lundi, à l’âge de 70 ans."

It does say "Son Altesse Royale"
"C’est avec une grande tristesse que Leurs Altesses Royales le Grand-Duc et la Grande-Duchesse ont appris la disparition de Son Altesse Royale le Prince Wauthier de Ligne, survenue lundi, à l’âge de 70 ans."

I see. The official announcement by the family (that I linked) only used 'Son Altesse' but now I understand, the message was about a separate post by the Luxembourgian grand-ducal family.

The Habsbourg and the de Ligne are Cousins.
Princess Yolande de Ligne, Sister of Prince Antoine (Prince Wauthier's Father) married Archduke Carl Ludwig of Habsbourg. She is still alive. They had 4 Children, Archdukes Rudolf and Christian did attend . They wore their Golden Fleece Order and their wifes the Starry Cross such as Princess Regine the Widow of Prince Wauthier.

Last edited:
I don’t think the house law you speak of applies to the de Lignes.

Perhaps surprisingly, it does apply to them as descendants of Grand-Duchess Charlotte.

Read the house law here:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/luxembourg-succession-and-titles-33317-8.html#post2485460

I see. The official announcement by the family (that I linked) only used 'Son Altesse' but now I understand, the message was about a separate post by the Luxembourgian grand-ducal family.

It looks as if you accidentally added the family-announcement link to (the quotation from) my post instead of your own. :flowers:

I thought my own post had quoted Blog Real's link to the grand-ducal court's announcement, but either the quotation was removed or I misremembered. But it was indeed the announcement to which I was referring. In theory the Grand Duke could have elevated his cousin to HRH, but I do not see a reason why he would.

I interpret the Belgian law as long as she doesn't apply for Belgian citizenship she's free, as a foreign national, to use her foreign title.

What I do find noteworthy is the phrase - "This is subject to the condition that the title is indicated on the official personal documents issued by the competent authorities in their country.". Does this mean that a Swedish Count Bielke, who belongs to the second oldest familiy in Sweden, wouldn't be able to use his noble title officially if he resided in Belgium because it's not in his passport?

It seems logical: If he cannot officially use it even in his own country, it would be odd to use it in another.

Last edited:
Perhaps surprisingly, it does apply to them as descendants of Grand-Duchess Charlotte.

Read the house law here:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/luxembourg-succession-and-titles-33317-8.html#post2485460

It looks as if you accidentally added the family-announcement link to (the quotation from) my post instead of your own. :flowers:

I thought my own post had quoted Blog Real's link to the grand-ducal court's announcement, but either the quotation was removed or I misremembered. But it was indeed the announcement to which I was referring. In theory the Grand Duke could have elevated his cousin to HRH, but I do not see a reason why he would.

It seems logical: If he cannot officially use it even in his own country, it would be odd to use it in another.
But how can Grand Duke Henri elevate him? He belongs to the Belgian nobility and received his titles from the Belgian monarchy not the Luxembourgish.

Legally, there is nothing to prevent it. Other foreigners, such as the Bernadotte former princes or more recently Claire Lademacher, have been elevated by Luxembourg monarchs.

As an aside, it is fine to only quote the part of the post to which you are responding. :flowers:

Why daughters of Princess Elisabeth de Ligne and her husband Baeon Gilles de Pelichy don't have a title of Baroness?

It seems depending on the Letters Patent of Nobility or on the tradition in francophone milieu, I think.
For an example in France and Italy daughters of nobles often go without their father's titles:

Paola Ruffo di Calabria (daughter of Fulco, principe Ruffo di Calabria, VI duca di Guardia Lombardi)

Marie-Liesse de Rohan-Chabot (daughter of comte Louis-Mériadec de Rohan-Chabot)

Philippine Gillès de Pelichy (daughter of baron Baudouin Gillès de Pelichy)

Last edited:
Legally, there is nothing to prevent it. Other foreigners, such as the Bernadotte former princes or more recently Claire Lademacher, have been elevated by Luxembourg monarchs.

As an aside, it is fine to only quote the part of the post to which you are responding. :flowers:
The Bernadotte Prince was given a title because he lost rights to the title and style of HRH and prince because of a morganatic marriage. Claire Lademarcher can be given the style of HRH (slightly different) because she’s married to a son of the Luxembourgish head of state.

Moving this discussion to the appropriate forum:

Article 40 of the Luxembourg constitution reads: "Le Grand-Duc a le droit de conférer des titres de noblesse, sans pouvoir jamais y attacher aucun privilège." ("The Grand Duke may confer titles of nobility, without ever having the power to attach privileges to them.")

Nothing in the constitution, or in the house laws, stipulates that the Grand Duke may only confer HRHs on foreigners when they have married unequally or are married to the son of the head of the state.

Last edited:
Because of the news that the court case against Air France and Airbus was started about the AF flight that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean in 2009 and took among many other, prince Pedro Luiz of Orleans-Braganza, with it, I was reading his wikipedia page again and noticed this little snippet indicating that princess Alix was supposed to be on this flight as well... It must have been really strange to survive while losing your cousin - and puts your own life in a rather different perspective.

Luiz was killed in the crash of Air France Flight 447 on 1 June 2009. His double-cousin Princess Alix of Ligne had planned to travel with him, but took an earlier flight instead. Pedro Luiz' body was among those retrieved from the ocean and was buried in Vassouras in the family's mausoleum on 5 July.

Woooooow!

Congrats to her!:cheers::hug::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2:????

Was she her sister?
And who was the third sibling?
The trio I am referring to are a group of three stunning and elegant women that include Madame Bertrand de La Haye Jousselin, the recently deceased Princess Armand d’Arenberg and Princess Marie de Ligne de La Tremoïlle(Princess Charles de Ligne de La Tremoïlle). Princess Marie’s older sister was the recently deceased Princess Armand d’Arenberg (Princess Gabrielle d’Arenberg, née Lambertye-Gerbérviller of the Marquesses Gerbéviller and there was a younger sister who also married into the de Ligne family called Leontine, but she died in 2016. The trio is also in reference to a picture of Princess Marie, Princess Armand and Madame Bertrand by Robert Doisneau.

Last edited:
Prince B. de Ligne or Liege?

I have acquired a signed card of who was said to be the Prince of Liege. If I’m not terribly mistaken, only Albert was Prince of Liege, and the signature on the card looks more like a B than Albert. That made me look into the House of Liege. The card is most likely from the 1960s or 70s, and back then the House of Liege had a Prince Baudouin. Would be sign his name with Prince B only? Any input in identifying this autographed card is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• F9124E2A-BBA3-4994-81BD-1A9A869E9205.jpg
    F9124E2A-BBA3-4994-81BD-1A9A869E9205.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 17
I think you mixed up Prince of Liege with the Princely house of Ligne.

I think anderst is correct. It resembles "Ligne" more than "Liège" and the initial is certainly a "B" and not an "A".

I'm sorry I can't be of further help with identification.

Back
Top Bottom