Princess Madeleine as Patron of "My Big Day"

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking of the little girls I know that age, that day would have been amazing. Dressing up in a princess dress getting to have a tea party at a real palace with a real princess, well two with Leo there, would have been so much fun for those kids. Such a great idea for the princess to do. And likely so much fun for Leo as well.

I love Maddie went all out and recreated her Nobels look.:flowers:

I am sure it was great for the kids, but I don't quite know what to think about it, except that Madeleine may be watching too many re-runs of "The Princess Diaries 2" during her "exile" in London.

I think it was perfect. Think about the age of these little kids. They are 4-5. For them princesses are Disney princesses. They wear dresses and crowns, and live in castles. So many little girls have their dress up clothes. There are princess tea parties where I come from. little girl birthday parties where someone dressed as a princess comes, and the girls have tea. This is incredibly popular. Now imagine getting to have that in a real palace, with servants, and having a Princess there for real.

Yes, in reality princesses don't wear gowns and tiaras. But this isn't meant to be reality. This is an event for the 'make a wish foundation', the Swedish version. The point is to give the girls, and I see a few boys, a fantasy day. These are sick kids who can use the day away from reality. They are all in their own princess dresses. Fitting that Maddie is in hers.

Maddie is exactly the princess they expected. I remember interviews with little kids about Kate, and said she didn't look 'like a princess'. For little kids they have a certain image.

I think thats a bit unfair, lots of royals invite children to their palaces for special celebrations. I believe the whole point of this charity is to grant children their wish, so I imagine these children had wished to meet royalty and be royalty for a day. Rather than turning up is a boring old suit or day outfit and have children inevitably say "oh but the Princess wasn't wearing a crown/dress/tiara" she decided to give them what they wanted. I don't see the issue with that.

I think thats a bit unfair, lots of royals invite children to their palaces for special celebrations. I believe the whole point of this charity is to grant children their wish, so I imagine these children had wished to meet royalty and be royalty for a day. Rather than turning up is a boring old suit or day outfit and have children inevitably say "oh but the Princess wasn't wearing a crown/dress/tiara" she decided to give them what they wanted. I don't see the issue with that.

I am not criticizing it, but, let's put it this way, it is not something British royals would do for example.

I am not criticizing it, but, let's put it this way, it is not something British royals would do for example.

??? What does the British royals have to do with this?

Maybe its something the British royals should do :flowers:

Different royal families do different things. I for one think sick kids in many countries would enjoy a little event like Maddie did, and not simply having someone walk through the hospital and smile at them.

I think its something more royals should consider doing, its shows they don't take themselves too seriously which is an important thing for royals, even they have to recognise the ridiculousness of the position they hold.

Whilst I know we don't want to talk about the BRF here in fairness Prince Harry did appear in a cameo role in a video for the Rugby World Cup opening and QE2 appeared as a bond girl for the Olympics so maybe it is something they would do.

I don't really get the point of moving critics or having to complain for such a lovely event like this. Really, it was just about making some ill children happy and make them have their moment as royalty.:ermm:

I loved it and if I had been one of these children I would have been over the moon. What she did by wearing that gown and the tiara was absolute perfection. ?

When I was little my big dream was a Sissy gown. I'd still like to try one...

Different royal families do different things. I for one think sick kids in many countries would enjoy a little event like Maddie did, and not simply having someone walk through the hospital and smile at them.

My accolades to Princess Madeleine! Madeleine did something so down to earth, so unselfish to just put beaming smiles on group of little girls' faces. She made herself available to make a few dreams come true and to me it was a sweet adorable thing to do. Kudos to Madeleine!

What a wonderful idea the little girls would have loved it ,

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It's simple the British Royals do things their way and the Swedish do it theirs. Maddie made some little girls wishes come true . That is a wonderful thing.

I think it's so fun that she gave those kids what they think of as a princess. Very cool of her. My favorite ever of her engagements.
Here's a video from the event here's a video from the event
http://youtu.be/pd0XQLFpNG8
I thought I couldn't love even more this event, but with this video, I'm totally fascinated!:flowers:
I have to agree. This was a stroke of genius and to be honest, I think being the mother of a pre-schooler or even beginning school, Madeleine is in a position to understand that "Real" Princesses are Disney ones, not Royal ones. Better still, she was in a position to create just that, a "Real" Princess Party!

That she was willing to go the whole hog and dressed up "like a real Princess" with all the hair, dress and tiara fussing, just for them is wonderful. Take a look at the staff also dressed "in character" playing their part in the fairytale party, they seem to be thoroughly enjoying themselves too and I wouldn't mind betting it's the best Royal Birthday Party they have ever worked!

As an aside, I don't think that Leonore even understands that her mother is a Princess . . . after all, she's not a Disney character! :D

:previous::D I have to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo was asked who her favorite princess was she chose Elsa or another Disney, that her mother or aunt didn't cross her mind.

:previous::D I have to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo was asked who her favorite princess was she chose Elsa or another Disney, that her mother or aunt didn't cross her mind.

Lol...but you are probably correct in your assumption:p:D:thumbup:

As an American, I find the British (ESPECIALLY the BRF) a very formal to formal people/culture. Don't know think the Swedes are as much. All of the them, except the king, seem very down to earth and if they're arrogant, they do not show it. This is one of the sweetest things a royal has ever done. These girls will never forget the real-life princess they met when they were little girls. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with MARG and all the other posters who think this was a stroke of genius, one of the most charming things Madeleine has ever done. If I'd been a little girl at this event I'd have been over the moon with enchantment!:p

The British Royals don't do this sort of thing but they have their own brand of magic anyway. Even now I hear posters who are old enough to remember watching the Charles/Diana wedding describing it as a fairytale come to life..and that Diana looked like the epitome of a storybook princess.

This event was wonderful!! A princess party at a real palace. This was a lovely thing Madeleine did for seriously ill children.

This event was wonderful!! A princess party at a real palace. This was a lovely thing Madeleine did for seriously ill children.
Agree, this just sums up most of the posts above. I think it's one of the most charming and graceful things any Royal has done in a long time :flowers:

What a brilliant initiative. I can imagine that the children were thrilled to go to a real palace with a real life princess. I don't think it matters that Madeleine isn't dressed like princesses normally are, because I think that most young children won't realise that "real princesses" don't wear ball gowns and tiaras everyday. And as others have said, it was so thoughtful of Madeleine to wear her full regalia to make sick children smile and give them a nice, much needed break from the struggles they are facing.
It was also cute that Leonore was there and in her own princess dress, she seemed to be enjoying the day. I wonder if this is the start of her engagements, since IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) Estelle first started when she was a similar age.

As for the British RF, doesn't Camilla host a Christmas party for sick children at Clarence House?

Today The Queen and Princess Madeleine met 7 year old Enna a girl from Skane with a terminal illness, the girl was accompanied by her older bother and mother who were received in Princess Sybillas apartments. It was the girls wish to meet the Queen and Princess Madeleine which she expressed through MinStoraDag and since Princess Madeleine is the patron of this organization she obviously wanted to make this little girls biggest dream come true
Drottningen och Prinsessan Madeleine träffade Enna, 7 år - Sveriges Kungahus

Madeleine attends tomorrow at Min Stora Dag's Invisilibity Project's seminar "När livet inte följer manus" at Gröna Lund Theatre.

According to Min Stora Dag's website, their name isn't "My Big Day" in english, but "My Special Day"
In English _ Min Stora Dag

On 20th April, the Royal Palace opened its halls for a very special digital display, a group of children who through the charity organization Min Stora Dag (My Big Day) got a guided tour from two historical royals.
The host couple were the Royal Palace's museum teachers on the roles of King Gustav III and Queen Sofia Magdalena. For just over an hour, the children got to follow through the Palace halls, learn how to curtsy and bow to royalty from the 18th century and ask questions about everything from why the queen's skirt was so wide to if they have any pets.
The children received also a digital greeting from Madeleine, the patron of My Big Day.
Barn besökte slottet digitalt med Min Stora dag - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Min Stora Dag at its Facebook
"Princess Madeleine has been the patron of Min Stora Dag since 2001 and has over the years committed herself to the children in several different ways. On Tuesday, the Princess visited Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital at Karolinska University Hospital. It was an invigorating day full of joy!
In addition to talks about Min Stora Dag's development and collaboration with the health service, Princess Madeleine was given a long-awaited chance to meet several children who are currently hospitalized. The meeting took place outdoors, at a safe distance, within the play therapy area. Together with the princess, the children got to draw drawings, build with Lego and sing."

https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b471fe17feb5aaa0895d237237e2be3d&oe=613A15F8
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=7c007e13598df049164864a80d12c8b8&oe=6137C290

Photos by SPA
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030031I1628612510239254
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030041I1628612510239254

The court at its website
Prinsessan Madeleine besökte Astrid Lindgrens barnsjukhus med Min Stora Dag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Prinsessan Madeleines stora önskan – berättar själv _*Svensk Dam

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom