The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Inaki Urdangarin after the handball match:
Marca
Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin at the handball match, they were living every minute with the game:
Abaca Press/Intact Images
Cristina and Inaki yesterday at the hockey match
APA-Picturedesk
Has princess Anne already left home? Here´s prime minister Gordon Brown with David Beckham watching athletics yesterday
Daylife

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Crown Prince Haakon begs for a hug to handball head coach Marit Breivik during the celebration party in Beijing Saturday night after Norway won their Olympic gold medal after beaten Russia 34-27 in the womens handball
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Norwegian handballplayer Else Marthe Sørlie Lybekk talks to Crown Prince Haakon and the Minister of Culture, Trond Giske
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Crown Prince Haakon and Chinese president Hu Jintao before the lunch served to the guests of honour during the Olympic Games
ANP Beeldbank
Chinese president Hu Jintao with his wife welcoming King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia before the lunch served to the guests of honour
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
King Carl Gustaf with Jacques Rogge
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Queen Silvia with Doctor Pentti Arajärvi, the husband of the president of Finland
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Queen Silvia and Icelandic president Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson
ANP Beeldbank

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you very much for amazing games, Beijing. It was wonderful. Great closing ceremony. I have watched it on TV and I had to cry, because a great time is over.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Courtier

I have to say that I didn't like London logo for the next JJOO.

Pretty awfull, and the britsh performance in the closing ceremony was poor.

Definetly China has been overwhelming, its performance was astonishing, It will be difficult for other cointries improve what China has made in this Olympic games.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Here are some more pictures of the members of the swedish royal family who attend the Olympics.

Men´s bronze medal match in table tennis at Peking University Gymnasium. Jörgen Persson, Sweden lost against Liqin Wang, China:
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&pos=12
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&pos=11

Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia attend the closing ceremony.

From ANP:
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...=8107988&pos=1
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&pos=2
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&pos=5
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&pos=4 The view of Queen Silvia

From Daylife:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/02vj7kXgJqf4u/queen_silvia
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0aSl8Cm5gy0nz/queen_silvia
Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urgandarin arrive for a banquet with Chinese President Hu Jintao and his wife Liu Yongqing
Daylife
Infanta Cristina, Inaki Urdangarin and former IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch attend the Basketball final, USA vs Spain in Beijing
El Pais
Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for all the lovely pictures. I particularly love the ones with Prince of Asturias and his Uncle Constantinos and Queen Anne Marie. As a matter of fact I also loved the one of King Constantinos waving the Swedish flag! And Maxima was great, so lively and happy.
Odette: I sympathize with you. My country Brasil didn´t won many medals either.
But I´ll tell you what: The ceremony in Athens is still my favourite.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
Thanks for all the lovely pictures. I particularly love the ones with Prince of Asturias and his Uncle Constantinos and Queen Anne Marie. As a matter of fact I also loved the one of King Constantinos waving the Swedish flag! And Maxima was great, so lively and happy.
Odette: I sympathize with you. My country Brasil didn´t won many medals either.
But I´ll tell you what: The ceremony in Athens is still my favourite.
Thank you so much!!!!!! I am not watching any more. SO disappointed. I doubt I will watch the closing ceremonies.......
See you all in 4 years in London!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations, Zhongguo (means the middle land, that´s how chinese call their country) for your medals and thanks so much for these Olympic Games. Both opening and closing ceremonies were bordering perfection.

Congratulations to all americans and britons for the great performances of their teams.

I liked very much the british part of the closing ceremony, very pertinent to the ocassion.

The hug between the russian and georgian girls was very touching. They are not in a war, they are human beings and neighbors.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you all for the photos.

thank!!!!
thank!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Nobility

Wow. I can't believe the Olympicsa re already over. Thank you so much everyone that contributed!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat View Post
Our country finally won a gold, but in a sport that has no bearing on the medal tally. We won a gold and bronze in wushu, which is just an exhibition sport and where only 25 countries participated. The athletes from my country never made it to any semifinal. Phooey.
What is Wushu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catango View Post
I have to say that I didn't like London logo for the next JJOO.

Pretty awfull, and the britsh performance in the closing ceremony was poor.

Definetly China has been overwhelming, its performance was astonishing, It will be difficult for other cointries improve what China has made in this Olympic games.
I also wan't impressed by London's performance at the closing Ceremony. Would it've killed the London Mayor to button his suit jacket before the flag-handover ceremony?! And maybe it was just the sound on my vcr tape but the London songstress and guitar player didn't sound good. But they said no other country will probably be able to compete ceremony-wise with China because they don't have the $$$$$ to spend on it that China did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Thank you very much for amazing games, Beijing. It was wonderful. Great closing ceremony. I have watched it on TV and I had to cry, because a great time is over.
It was very nice, and I did get a little misty eyed that it was over. I did like the song "Beijing, Beijing, I love Beijing". I wonder if NBC would put that on their soundtrack.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Watched last night on NBC with tons of interruptions. According to the President they were exceptional games. Not the best games, just exceptional. Well, now that everyone comes back we will hear more details. I am sure there is a big void in a lot of people's lives in China now that the party is over.
Does anyone have any information on the Paralympics?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Still some photos:
Infanta Cristina in the Swimming Synchronized event. Spain won the Silver Medal, behind Russia.
IBL Bildbyrå
Prince Willem Alexander cheers as the Dutch team wins the Olympic Ladies Hockey final
ANP Beeldbank
Willem Alexander cheers for the gold medal in Swimming
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
Princess Royal and Sir Clive Woodward watch Great Britain s Tony Jeffries in action against Ireland s Kenny Egan in the Semi Final Middleweight bout
MediumPhoto
Princess Royal returns home
MediumPhoto
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
What is Wushu?
Wushu is the more official/formal term for kung fu. Think Jet Li at the Olympics.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

A few news stories about protestors:
2 women punished for seeking Olympic protest permits
Human rights and Beijing's Olympic hustle

From the second article: "China would keep good civic order, of course, but the usual political repression would be lifted, at least for the duration. And, in fact, three protest sites were set aside for demonstrators and a simple permit process was set up.
Seventy-seven permit applications were made. None was granted. At least six of the applicants were arrested. Others -- no one seems to know how many -- simply disappeared, for how long or where to are anybody's guess."

Not surprising!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Not surprising!
No! Not surprising at all
Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Paralympics?
Here´s the official website of the Paralympics in Beijing
Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Nobility

Very proud of my country i must say,well done GB!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Commoner

anybody see the Lauren Jackson hug Yao ming in closing ceremony

Tags
beijing 2008, olympic games, olympics, summer olympics