Lasting impressions of the London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this was an amazing Olympics, and I'm really not into sports!
But I watched much of it.

One tiny disappointment: I missed the bit with the Queen and James Bond, and can't seem to find it online! (One site said the video was N/A for the US).
Anybody know where I could view it?

Last edited:
Mirabel said:
I think this was an amazing Olympics, and I'm really not into sports!
But I watched much of it.

One tiny disappointment: I missed the bit with the Queen and James Bons, and can't seem to find it online! (One site said the video was N/A for the US).
Anybody know where I could view it?

So far most decent videos have been removed from YouTube thanks to the BBC, but it's worth a check.

:previous:
Unfortunately, it is indeed blocked for Armenia.

However, I have to say, that Queen/Bond sequence from the Opening Ceremony is probably the most lasting impression from the Olympics.
I mean, you can't really forget that, can you? Ever. The Queen parachuting to the stadium - priceless! :cool:

Last edited:
Oh, and it was the best closing ceremony of any major sporting event that I've ever seen. Could not fault it even if I wanted to! Just phenomenal.

I was surprised how edited down the NBC version of the closing ceremony was. I was also surprised that at 10PM NBC felt the need to bleep out the word sh*t from Eric Idols "Always look on the bright side of life". I would be very surprised if any American awake at 10PM EDT had not heard and quite possible used that word before or even been terribly offended by it. Silly really. Thankfully Canadian television showed the whole show live, as with most of the Games.

I have really enjoyed the Games. I!m bereft it's over. I really don't like this need to compare with previous games as every one has its memorable moments and unique characteristics. I'm just proud that London will be remembered for all the right reasons. Now bring on the Paralympics - I have tickets for the athletics so I'm really looking forward to experiencing the whole atmosphere of London 2012.

Because there was a lot available on-line and via the NBC Olympic app on my ipad, I was able to see more events this year than I have since 1984, when I was in high school and not working thus able to watch Olympics all day. I really enjoyed seeing things I wouldn't see in the evenings like the equestrian events, gymnastics and some swimming events live, synchronized diving, and the list goes on.

From all appearances, London did an excellent job. Am also so proud for Team GB. So glad they did well.

Downsides for me were NBCs Phelps lovefest, McKayla Muroney's attitude after she won the Silver.

Loved watching Oscar Pistorius, the 35 year old gymnast, Kayla Harrison - that was my first time watching Judo, Mo Farrah, and Kerry Walsh-Jennings and Misty May-Trainor to name a few. Oh, and Zara Phillips, how could I forget her.

My fiance is glad to have me back now that the Olympics are over. Time to get back to more important day-to-day activities that fell by the wayside the last few weeks.

My fiance is glad to have me back now that the Olympics are over. Time to get back to more important day-to-day activities that fell by the wayside the last few weeks.

Me too - but because I havent got enough sleep in months. First the Football Euros and now the Olympics - now I can go to bed at a more convenient time again!!!

The closing ceremony was far too pop/rock-concert-ish for my taste, I didnt get the connection to the sport event it is in the first place.

I wish I could say there were lasting impressions, but there are none. Not just this Olympics, even the Centennial Olympics that were held in my city faded quite quickly.

I agree with the DoM that the opening and closing ceremonies were too "concert-y" for me.

They are fun while they're going on, though.

I like the idea of the torch petals being distributed to all the nations taking part. It is some of the thoughtful attention to details that will be a lasting memory, not just the spectacle - another example is the way the Olympians were given a lovely farewell at the various departure hubs. I saw footage of Heathrow where there was a British decorated terminal just for the athletes with actors dressed as coldstream guards who entertained them. There was also a memory tree which the Olympians were invited to post notes on. These will be compiled in some form and sent to all the volunteers. A very nice touch I think.

I think that I will always remember the US women's gymnastics team, Michael Phelps' performances, Mo Farah, and watching Usain Bolt and the US women's relay teams.

Just some amazing performances!!

I like the idea of the torch petals being distributed to all the nations taking part. It is some of the thoughtful attention to details that will be a lasting memory, not just the spectacle - another example is the way the Olympians were given a lovely farewell at the various departure hubs. I saw footage of Heathrow where there was a British decorated terminal just for the athletes with actors dressed as coldstream guards who entertained them. There was also a memory tree which the Olympians were invited to post notes on. These will be compiled in some form and sent to all the volunteers. A very nice touch I think.

I agree, those small things made London 2012 what it was.
An article from DM about the athletes' departure:

The party is over! 6,000 athletes and 16,000 spectators make their way home after London 2012 as Team GB rowers emerge bleary-eyed

- The Heathrow Games terminal with a lovely goodbye note.
- The messages tree

Back
Top Bottom