The Diamond Jubilee Luncheon and Dinner for the World's Monarchs: May 18, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Margareta the one who dated Gordon Brown for a while when they were younger? For some inexplicable reason. I wouldn't wish him on anyone let alone a seemingly nice lady like that.

:previous:
Here is picture in the background after her father is CP Margareta :flowers:
King Michael Of Romania Arrives At A Lunch For Sovereign

More pictures of the Princess:
- Crown Princess Margareta
- King Michael and Crown Princess Margareta

Is Margareta the one who dated Gordon Brown for a while when they were younger? For some inexplicable reason. I wouldn't wish him on anyone let alone a seemingly nice lady like that.
Yes, she's the one. They dated while both were at University.
I must say, I agree with you; it would have been such a shame if she married Gordon Brown.

Yes, she's the one. They dated while both were at University.
I must say, I agree with you; it would have been such a shame if a nice lady like her married Gordon Brown.

Whilst a lot of people (including me) disagree with Gordon Brown's politics, I personally feel a comment of the type above is just distasteful and compeletely unwarranted. Unless you know Gordon and Margarete personally, I really do not know how one can refer to complete strangers in that vein.

William looks pretty bored in one or two of those pictures.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the attendance of ex-monarchs at events like this. I wonder what the people of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania etc. think of the people they kicked off the throne being invited to a gathering of world monarchs. It just seems very odd to me.

Possibly a lot of them are related to Prince Philip,I'd imagine that's reason enough.

Whilst a lot of people (including me) disagree with Gordon Brown's politics, I personally feel a comment of the type above is just distasteful and compeletely unwarranted. Unless you know Gordon and Margarete personally, I really do not know how one can refer to complete strangers in that vein.
My apologise if the comment seemed offensive to you; while I dislike Gordon Brown (admittedly, along with most other politicians), I didn't mean to offend him.
I meant to say that it would be a pity for a woman like Princess Margareta to be merely content with the life of a "consort" of a British politician, and not pursue her interests and service to her country (Romania), as she does now. Whatever I think of Gordon Brown the politician, by all accounts he is a good husband and a father.

Where are Charles and Camilla? Are they already on their way to Canada?

Where are Charles and Camilla? Are they already on their way to Canada?
They are still in Britain. In fact, Charles will be hosting a dinner for the royals in the evening.
They may or may not have attended the Lunch though; since there are no pictures as of now, I'm inclined to the latter.

Thanks for all the links to images and articles, lovely to see so many images of so many members of Royalty. It's so lovely to see them converse and have a good ole time!

The DailyMail article mentions that Edward joked about "safety in numbers" when he found King Mswati III and King Letsie III of Lesotho with their other halves. Did all their wive, or a large number, go with them?

ITNSource has some videos of the guests chatting in the Waterloo Chamber.

What has quite annoyed me is a lot of the articles have focused on Catherine's dress, and ignored the main reason why the people are gathered together. I know the press are obsessed with William and Catherine at the minute, but the whole point is to celebrate the Queen's reign, not some young up-start with a pretty dress on. I do not like the press sometimes.

Queen Margrethe's hair looks lovely when worn this way. It sits so well and suits her better than the french twist she seems to favour.

Queen Rania Al Abdullah looked quite lovely too, I thought. Very feminine and a lovely contrast of colours.

The Duchess of Cambridge would however have to be my pick of the day so far. Beautiful appearance. Soft material, lovely cut and a flattering colour for her as well.

Were the Spanish royals there, or, given the current swirling rumors, they chose to stay out of the limelight?

:previous:
No Spanish royals attended. Queen Sofia pulled out this week.

I was just thinking, William, Catherine and Harry aren't attending the dinner tonight perhaps because they're going to see the torch arrive with their Aunt?

Great pictures, great gathering - Thank you to all who posted.
My favourite is Charlene of Monaco: the new haircut is great and the aqua colour suits her so well [she wore aqua too at her civil wedding]. I must say i would have liked to see more colour outfits on the ladies [many of the dresses are gray, navy etc.]. Can;t wait to see the pictures of tonight.

What a superb occassion! It's great to see everyone together! Just wanted to thank all those who have kindly posted links and photos ;-)

Has there been any event where so many monarchs and royals came together in history? I guess this day today was a very historical day for the world.

My King (Albert II) warmly welcomed by HM Queen Elisabeth and my Queen is wearing a usual a recycled dress (State visit of Sweden ??)

lovely pictures of the gathering. i hope we get to see some more footage!

a picture of charlene curtsying the queen:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0yo_xLzug44/T7Z8vcuNuKI/AAAAAAAA2wc/rEm5Wx-iplU/s640/x610.jpg
the picture made me confused. seeing charlene is the wife of the head of state, i wonder if it's appropriate for her to curtsy the queen. (however, clearly charlene is a less senior royal, younger and wife of the sovereign herself, whereas the queen is sovereign in her own right. but none of the other queens would curtsy her, so i don't know why charlene does so: how protocolar is it?)

Charlene does do a beautiful curtsey, though! My guess is she was told that was the appropriate greeting, for whatever reason.

Maybe she talked to Mette Marit before going to Windsor. I don't think as the wife of a head of state it was required of her but it is really no different than Philip bowing to the Emperor of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom