The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I'm sorry but why should they? Americans are not commonwealth citizens, they have no link to the royal family, since their war for independence. Some likely could not name anyone but the queen, they have trouble naming our prime minister and we live north of them. To a lot of Americans, not all Americans as there are obviously a number on this site, royalty are just celebrities nothing else.
Sorry, my post was abit over dramatic wasn't it, and my shock is somewhat lessened now! I can see what Sister Morphine was getting at and I do generally agree with it. Except to say that in America and some European countries, far more programmes about royalty are aired than here in Britain. There must be more interest abroad in the BRF than at home.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
This is probably a particularly dumb question but to those of you who were around for Diana and Charles' wedding or even Andrew and Fergie were press details announced ahead of time? Like for example how much coverage is allowed and so on. I know so far we know who has the rights for the footage inside the Abbey and we know a rival network is trying to get exclusive coverage of the balcony appearance but do we get like a press release explaining all that in due time or is it more like a slow and gradual process of details leaking out.
I thought the BBC was doing all the filming inside the Abbey and outside too but I don't recall this kind of thing being very much announced beforehand. I know that with previous televised royal weddings it's been shown on both BBC and ITV but I'm pretty sure it's all the same footage, just different presenters.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I know some men who don't wear a wedding ring purely because they know people know they 're married and don't want to wear the ring- wedding rings while encouraged are not manadatory becauses a ring is not s marriage .... I personally believe plp should as a sign of respect to their spouse if nothing else wear their rings but some plp don't....I am sure William will ....
Most men who don't wear a ring, are either insecure about men wearing jewelry, or they want to flirt with women in bars and not be known as married. The excuse 'people know I'm married' one strangers don't and 2 do women not wear rings because people know they are married?

Grooms have wedding rings, it is part of the ceremony, a required part. I am pretty sure considering how formal the royal family is, and the fact he couldn't flirt in a bar if he tried, William will wear one.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Sorry, my post was abit over dramatic wasn't it, and my shock is somewhat lessened now! I can see what Sister Morphine was getting at and I do generally agree with it. Except to say that in America and some European countries, far more programmes about royalty are aired than here in Britain. There must be more interest abroad in the BRF than at home.
Other than Tudors, which is a British/Canadian show, there aren't programs. yes they appear on things like entertainment tonight and such, and the rare documentry when some big event happens, like this wedding. And its because they are considered celebrities, not royalty. People like the juicy scandals, like they do with Brad Pitt or Tom cruise.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
How about wedding rings? Any thoughts on whether William will wear a wedding ring?
Don't the men of the BRF wear their wedding rings on their little finger under (behind?) their signet rings? I'm sure that I have seen Charles's ring there. But I don't know if William wears a signet ring?

See item #44:
60 things one must know about Prince Charles from 14 Nov 2008 - mirror.co.uk
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
OK- a totally silly question, but as a wise man once said: If you're going to be a fanatic, you might as well make a good job of it!

When Diana married in St. Paul's, she walked down a red carpet.
Sarah Ferguson had a blue one in the Abbey.

Does the bride get to select the carpet, or does each church have a special color-coded carpet?
Or is it all a matter of chance?

(I can't believe I'm asking this!)
Hi Mirabel, I don't think that's a silly question. Sorry I haven't been on the forum for some days or I would have replied sooner! This was quite a while ago, and I was very little, but in an interview with Sarah and Andrew she said that the carpet was chosen to be blue I believe to be "naval" blue (for Andrew), and to be different than red because she has red hair, and the ring Andrew gave her was a ruby, so enough with the red, in other words. That's my memory of it. Sarah addressed it then so other people have wondered the same thing about the carpet obviously. I think the usual color is red for most churches, so unless William chooses differently, red it will probably be (just the floor is probably amazing too). Not sure if the Abbey had the blue carpet as a back up color, or if this was an added cost thing.

As a little kid I couldn't understand why the carpet wouldn't be purple (I equated royal with purple)!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Without Diana, there was no reason for Americans especially, to really give two figs about the BRF. She was young, she was pretty, she was personable, she was the media's dream. Her and her children were what people fixated on, not other members of the family. So if William's mother had been some other woman, I don't think that Americans (or anyone else, really) would be interested in his marriage, unless they were royal watchers or otherwise interested in royalty. It would in essence, be viewed the same as a royal marriage from nearly every other royal house in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Osipi, I agree with the above paragraph extracted from your last post. However, I also believe that if the late PoW had NOT been William's mother, I believe this wedding would be a mere blip on the general radar; not on this forum, of course, which is an entirely different story..
I have to disagree with both of you. The British Royal family has always been famous in the US and around the world. Millions watched when she married Prince Charles because the heir to the throne was getting married...not because he was marrying Diana, the most famous woman on the planet. The world....and I might add, the GROOM barely knew her. It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.

William getting married IS a big deal because he IS 2nd in line to the throne. Not because he is Diana's son. Diana doesn't factor into any part of my interest in this wedding other than sadness for him that his mother isn't there to share this special time. I remember when William was born, and I have watched with interest as both of these boys have survived the loss and grown up to become exceptional men. I am thrilled to be able to witness William marry such a lovely young woman who doesn't have a title and who he obviously respects and adores.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

Since William is a search and rescue pilot, he may choose not to wear a wedding band when he's working. Otherwise, I hope he does.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Don't the men of the BRF wear their wedding rings on their little finger under (behind?) their signet rings? I'm sure that I have seen Charles's ring there. But I don't know if William wears a signet ring?

See item #44:
60 things one must know about Prince Charles from 14 Nov 2008 - mirror.co.uk
That was interesting to read about Charles. Did he really start wearing the ring Diana gave him again? Surprisingly nostalgic of him and nice.

Prince William has no signet ring on in the engagement photo at least. Prince Edward on his wedding photo just has the ring/rings on his little finger. Did the Queen give her children their signet rings? That was my understanding. So I assume William will wear at least the little finger style ring from Kate, or perhaps on his ring finger since he doesn't seem to already wear a signet ring?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Since William is a search and rescue pilot, he may choose not to wear a wedding band when he's working. Otherwise, I hope he does.
Not sure what being a search and rescue pilot would have to do with wearing a ring. His job is piloting the helicopter so that the crew can reach the person(s) needing assistance. A ring wouldn't interfere with handling a joystick and checking instruments.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I have to disagree with both of you. The British Royal family has always been famous in the US and around the world. Millions watched when she married Prince Charles because the heir to the throne was getting married...not because he was marrying Diana, the most famous woman on the planet. The world....and I might add, the GROOM barely knew her. It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.
I agree. It would probably have been the same no matter who Charles married- at least as far as the wedding was concerned.
Afterward, though, Diana looked like a storybook princess, and that's why the press kept coming round.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Majesty

This was true for me. I hadn't actually seen much coverage of Diana before the wedding. I saw the engagement announcement and interview on that day, but I didn't see the pre-wedding interview until it was available on YouTube. I would have watched the wedding regardless of who Prince Charles married, but I think that I really got interested in Diana during documentary things that were also aired that day: she was close in age to me and looked so much nicer than his other girlfriends. They were all so sophisticated looking, for one thing. Diana looked more like someone I could relate to at my age.

It's so hard to believe that it was 30 years ago; now things have gone full circle through a generation and a son of that 1981 marriage is getting married. I think that this bride is much better prepared for what she's getting into.

Quote:
It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.

I am thrilled to be able to witness William marry such a lovely young woman who doesn't have a title and who he obviously respects and adores.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Charles was at one time the fairy tale Prince...and WHOMEVER he married was going to be big news. Thats why pretty much everyone woman he was linked too was stalked by the Press. It just so happened it was Diana.

The same with William. He could have married Isabella, Jecca, anyone and it would have been big news.

Again, people are basing what they think is American coverage solely on Diana. I have read several books that talked about how the American Press dealt with Royals before Diana. Read anything about Queen Elizabeth and King George VI tour of the States and Canada in 1937. A young Queen Elizabeth on the cover of Time magazine (a baby Elizabeth in an earlier edition). Diana wasn't even a blip on the radar.

I believe that the royal men when wearing weddings in the past, have worn them on the same hand as their signet ring. In regards to Charles, I believe he wore Diana's ring after her death, but took it off when he married Camilla. Which makes sense perfect sense to me.

Jacknch is trying to get us to talk about flowers!

For the life of my I can't remember the flowers at previous royal weddings. Are we talking about the flowers that Kate will carry or those in the church?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Royal Highness

IMO The Diana/Charles/Williams wedding interest all go hand in hand....had Diana not married the heir she wouldn't have become famous and had William who is himself and heir and her son thus the interest in his wedding.... Williams wedding is double huge as heir to heir and as Diana's son, normally both would have been big draw but the 2 go hand in hand.....

I agree with Zonk the US had always had special interest in the BRF even before/after Diana
I can't even begin to speculate flowers Kate may carry, what did other BRF brides carry?

And for the record not every man who doesn't wear a wedding ring cheats....it's an option, not the law whatever personal feelings on the subject maybe....
Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate will be expected to have some heather (I think it is) from Balmoral. Queen Victoria carried it on her wedding day and a sprig from that flower or something like that has been carried by every British royal bride since, including Diana.

There will be other flowes of course but that one will be there, unless this is another tradition she and William are going to dispense with.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Administrator

To get an idea about weddings, I looked in my book Two Centuries of Royal Weddings by Christpher Warwick. These are old few British Royal weddings mentioned in the book:

Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) wore a white brocade satin embroidered with silver roses, thistles and shamrocks festooned with orange blossom (it looks better than it sounds).

Lady Elizabeth Bowles Lyon (later Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother) - a bouquet of white roses and heather

Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark (Duchess of Kent) - a bouquet of lilies

Princess Margaret - a bouquet of orchids and stephanotis

Miss Katherine Worsley (Duchess of Kent) - white roses

Princess Alexandra of Kent - a Victorian posy of freesias, narcissi, stephanotis, and lilies of the valey

Brigitte van Duers (Duchess of Gloucester) - white and cream summer floweres bound by satin ribbon

Princess Anne - a bouquet of fifteen white "Jack Frost" roses, orchid stems from Singapore, stephanotis, lily of the valley leaves and sprig of myrtle

And thats it. They also talk about Princess Mary (later Princess Royal), Princess Patricia of Connaught and Lady Louise Mountbatten (later Queen of Sweden). The author doesnt' go into detail about their flowers. It ends with Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Courtier

Prince William would be famous no matter who his mother is/was. If she had been a plain Jane from some obscure part of England, dressed like a frump and only walked in Prince Charles' shadow it wouldn't have made any difference to William's future. He is famous because his Grandmother is the Queen of England, his father is the Prince of Wales and William will be the King of England.

As for the flowers....I wouldn't know where to begin in guessing.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Gentry

flowers

I think it would be great if Kate used 'Sweet Williams' in her bouquet.

But I doubt she will since it's a pink flower

http://thump01.pbase.com/u45/mattis/...lliams_001.jpg
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Prince William would be famous no matter who his mother is/was.
I agree. It's impossible to argue with any certainty what ifs/might have beens, but from my perspective, as someone from a younger generation, I neither remember, nor care about his mom. William is a prince. He's tall. He's British. His wife gets to wear tiaras. That's all that matters to me and those I know from my generation. The fact that he's marrying his pretty, normal university sweetheart is just icing on the cake.

Jack, I've read multiple times that Kate loves lilies. Maybe they'll decorate the tall columns with lilies.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Serene Highness

So did I miss the discussion about William not kissing his new bride? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. The tabloid shows in the U.S. have decided to make that the story of the past 24 hours - and I hear that it's standard OP for the CoE.

The ceremony sounds very solemn dignified, at any case.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding