The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

Here's the full line. Not appropriate for a royal wedding, but I think they have some nice alternatives to the strapless uniforms out there for us mortals.
B H L D N

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

So far the ring belonged to his mum and 7 of the 8 main wedding attendants come from his family/friends. IMO this isn't normal, or at the very least, it's not a balanced state of affairs and can't bode well for the future.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

Kate might not have alot of people in her family or if she does they are not the right ages. From the list someone posted it looks like they want young kids and a couple of adults.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
This is a ROYAL wedding being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles, and like all Royal weddings there are certain traditions that are usually followed. Therefore, although William AND Kate have their say in making this as personal as possible, if the Queen wants certain traditions adhered to, then that is the way it will be. Thus far there seems to be a compromise on tradition combined with William AND Kate's wishes.
Here, here! I'm happy to see that some of William and Kate's compromises with tradition are being considered but this isn't your average "hollywood" wedding. It's the pomp, history and tradition of it all that makes it so interesting.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
So far the ring belonged to his mum and 7 of the 8 main wedding attendants come from his family/friends. IMO this isn't normal, or at the very least, it's not a balanced state of affairs and can't bode well for the future.
I have to disagree. The make up of a wedding party does not make a marriage. A wedding ring does not make or break a marriage. The relationship foundation that they have laid over the past 8 years and the future that they will build is what will help their marriage succeed.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I think with as long as Kate and Will have been together, friends are most likely considered their friends rather than his friends. Although not in the public eye, these people must have gotten together for vacations, parties and celebrations over the past years Just as William feels very much "at home" with his future in-laws, I imagine Kate feels the same way about most of his family too. Just because we've never seen them together "officially" or in the public eye, doesn't meant they don't have a sort of relationship.

My bet is still on Kate's brother James to make the wedding cake.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
While I'm sure Kate has a great deal of input, I understand what KittyAtlanta means- the arrangements (Westminster Abbey, public holiday, carriages, street parties, television coverage, etc.) would be the same, no matter who William was marrying.

Basically, it's all about him, not her.
But the ceremonial, 'royal' parts of the wedding like the things you mentioned above aren't any more about William, as an individual, than they are about Kate. They're about his position as future King. Yes, as you say, the arrangements would be the same if William were marrying someone other than Kate, but they'd also be the same if Harry or some random other person was the eldest son of the Prince of Wales and was getting married. I think both William and Kate are equally limited by that side of things - maybe William's idea of the perfect wedding is a ceremony on a beach somewhere but there's no way that can happen. On the things that they DO have control over I haven't seen any indication that it's more about him than her.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Dear angela,
I was told by another member to go back to the Monaco forum and bash Charlene and Albert because I too sensed something was off balance here and it was considered being nasty.The future of the marriage can sometimes be seen by the day of the wedding. I qualify with the word sometimes.
The ring is a recycled blue sapphire which brought Diana nothing but sorrow and I do not understand if catherine is going to become her own person to paraphrase Wills why he would give and she would accept the ring of his mother whose jewel is considered bad luck.If they claim to want a new start they should have bought a new ring to signify their new happiness and assist to complete a statue with fountain for Diana as inclusion of her memory for posterity. For the wedding they could have had somebody from Diana's side read the wedding scripture lesson- possibly the favorite of Diana- or the exact one read at her wedding- or had the music she chose as her anthem etc...
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Diamond Personally I would be having trouble with a lot of this however, if Catherine wishes and does want to accept any conditions then so be it.That does not mean however that I have to agree with it and neither do you. I digress but I think Catherine does acquiesce to much more than I would. The personal initiative of Diana -granted no angel at times is not there that spunk- has not yet become apparent so this has been a wedding so far in the making of Catherine yielding as she did in courtship to whatever is handed her.Granted the BRF have the power and the money but the Middletons have only one Catherine.I would be glad if she was a bit more assertive. When Wills walks ahead of her like he does what do you expect- a balanced wedding party?[having equal numbers on both sides?] cannot see it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You can't forget the key role Kate's father will play in the wedding. He will be walking his daughter down the aisle and giving her hand to William.

Also...

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Royal Wedding team unveiled

"But aides emphasised that Kate, 29, has been with William for so long that she has become close to all of them. The couple have been dating for eight years."
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Gentry

I don't believe that the blue sapphire brought about a bad marriage. The two individuals in the marriage both played a part in the downfall.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Nobility

From the Telegraph today regarding bridesmaid and pages :
A senior royal source said of the list: “It was completely the couple’s decision. There was no pressure on them from anyone else in the family to choose anyone in particular.
“All of the bridesmaids and page boys are the children of people Catherine has known for many years and counts as her own friends.”
The source pointed out that Miss Middleton, 29, “comes from a much smaller family than Prince William”, meaning she has few relations whose children are the appropriate age.
The royal insider also added that there would be “roles for other children that are entirely private”. Miss Middleton’s mother, Carole, the daughter of a builder, has an extended family in west London, with whom she has had little contact since she married in 1980. They include an aunt and a cousin living in Southall and a great aunt who will celebrate her 100th birthday in May. Relations have blamed the rift on a falling-out between Mrs Middleton’s mother and other members of the family in the 1970s.
Among the children who could be given a behind-the-scenes role is Miss Middleton’s 10-year-old cousin, Tallulah, the daughter of her uncle, Gary Goldsmith, 46. Mr Goldsmith, Mrs Middleton’s only brother, embarrassed the Middleton family when he was filmed offering cocaine to an undercover reporter two years ago. But it is understood he that is likely to be invited to the wedding after being forgiven by his sister.
Like Miss Middleton, Diana, Princess of Wales, had only one bridesmaid from her “side”, five-year-old Clementine Hambro, her favourite pupil at the Young England kindergarten in Pimlico, London, where she taught.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post

The ring is a recycled blue sapphire which brought Diana nothing but sorrow and I do not understand if catherine is going to become her own person to paraphrase Wills why he would give and she would accept the ring of his mother whose jewel is considered bad luck.
Whilst I too was not keen to see Diana's ring on Catherine's finger, I really do not see how it "brought Diana nothing but sorrow". Sure the ring was a potent symbol of the relationship between C & D, but it certainly was not the only symbol. Also, I am sure, as in every relationship, there were good and bad times, so perhaps the connection to the ring bringing bad luck or bringing nothing but sorrow is probably not as strong as suggested.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

In regards to the discussion of the ring and its "influence" suddenly I believe that we are not discussing the wedding of William and Catherine instead what is being discussed sounds like an aspect of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Serene Highness

I agree; we should stick to the topic before we wander off again. It is heading towards semi-Lord of the Rings.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Sorry but how do the wedding attendants have any bearing on their future married life? It's not like they are using the same wedding attendants as Diana and Charles. Who else are they supposed to use if not these people?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
I don't believe that the blue sapphire brought about a bad marriage. The two individuals in the marriage both played a part in the downfall.
Agreed! How can a jewel possibly be bad luck?
It's gemstone and metal, and that's all.
I believe people should go out of their way to debunk ridiculous superstitions.

I do think Kate will have to yield in some things, because of William's position. That isn't somehing that is going to change.
But they have been together for nearly a decade, and by this time they should both know what they're getting.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Nobility

Society photographer snaps up top job to take pictures of Kate and William's wedding | News
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Dear angela,
I was told by another member to go back to the Monaco forum and bash Charlene and Albert because I too sensed something was off balance here and it was considered being nasty..
I don't understand why people would encourage each other to "bash" in a Royal Forum. We can all have our opinions about their choices, however in the end Royals are real people that are entitled to happiness and love like the rest of us.

Quote:
The ring is a recycled blue sapphire which brought Diana nothing but sorrow and I do not understand if catherine is going to become her own person to paraphrase Wills why he would give and she would accept the ring of his mother whose jewel is considered bad luck..
The "ring" is a beautiful sapphire and had nothing to do with Diana's sorrow or the break-up of her marriage. It's a ring that is sentimental to William and obviously Catherine was honored to receive it and is proud to wear it. Catherine is 28 years old, not an immature, over emotional naive 18 year old. She has spent almost a decade with William, knows him very well and they obviously are very much in love. Why wish them such ill will and attach a curse on a ring simply because it belonged to his mother who has an unhappy marriage? People are going way to overboard with the ring issue IMO.

Quote:
at her wedding- or had the music she chose as her anthem etc...
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Diamond Personally I would be having trouble with a lot of this however, if Catherine wishes and does want to accept any conditions then so be it.That does not mean however that I have to agree with it and neither do you. I digress but I think Catherine does acquiesce to much more than I would. The personal initiative of Diana -granted no angel at times is not there that spunk- has not yet become apparent so this has been a wedding so far in the making of Catherine yielding as she did in courtship to whatever is handed her.Granted the BRF have the power and the money but the Middletons have only one Catherine.I would be glad if she was a bit more assertive. When Wills walks ahead of her like he does what do you expect- a balanced wedding party?[having equal numbers on both sides?] cannot see it.
You don't know Catherine and you have no idea how assertive or spunky she is in person. You are basing your opinions on nothing more than a few pictures and videos of them which has nothing to do with their relationship. However, since you have made up your mind and nothing anyone says or presents as evidence otherwise will change your mind...I will leave it at that.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

He did a great job on Charles's 60th birthday photo. However, most of his work is not to my taste. I'm sure he can do it well.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Royal Highness

while i understand how people see the ring as "bad luck" - it symbolizes a marriage that ultimately was very sad - it also symbolizes the good things that came from that marriage - the birth of william and harry for one and i'm sure there were other things. perhaps william chose to see those good things when he decided to give catherine this particular ring. as far as i'm concerned THAT bodes very well indeed for a wonderful future.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding