Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just learned something! :flowers: I always thought Ralph was derivative from Raphael. Hmmm....which Norse god?

Not from a God.

The name simply is formed from two old norse words. The original name would be Raðulfr. Rao is the norse word for counsel, dulfr for wolf. In old English it became Raedwulf, and eventually Ralph.

Its not considered a variation, but it is similar to Rudolph. Both Rudolph and Ralph mean wolf, one in norse and one in German. Olf meaning wolf in Germanic tongue. Rudolph though means famous wolf, not counsel wolf.

Rolf reminds me of the character from the Sound of Music, so perhaps not a good association considering who he turns out to be at the end of the film/musical!

I can't picture Ralph or any other similar names being used. Whilst I would like to see baby no. three have a 'different' name, I think Ralph is a bit too adventurous for the Cambridges. And then there's King Ralph too :D

Not from a God.

The name simply is formed from two old norse words. The original name would be Raðulfr. Rao is the norse word for counsel, dulfr for wolf. In old English it became Raedwulf, and eventually Ralph.

Its not considered a variation, but it is similar to Rudolph. Both Rudolph and Ralph mean wolf, one in norse and one in German. Olf meaning wolf in Germanic tongue. Rudolph though means famous wolf, not counsel wolf.

Thank you again, Countessmeout. :flowers:

Rolf reminds me of the character from the Sound of Music, so perhaps not a good association considering who he turns out to be at the end of the film/musical!

Good point! ;) Also why it sounds familiar with that pronunciation.

I can't picture Ralph or any other similar names being used. Whilst I would like to see baby no. three have a 'different' name, I think Ralph is a bit too adventurous for the Cambridges. And then there's King Ralph too :D

Nor can I. :flowers:

Last edited:
The current issue of OK! magazine has a cover story that Kate is having a girl, that she will be named Alice, and that Harry and Meghan will be godparents.

(Wonder how accurate they'll be?)

Trying to think of something appropriate, a bit royal... :bang:

The current issue of OK! magazine has a cover story that Kate is having a girl, that she will be named Alice, and that Harry and Meghan will be godparents.

Not very. They stated that they didn't know the gender with the previous babies why would they know on the third and then spill the beans about it. If Harry was going to be a godparent would have been one already. Not using siblings as godparents.

50/50 on the gender
Alice is at least a name with royal connection
Harry isn't godfather of George or Charlotte so why would he be godfather of this kid.

For a Boy: Phillip Michael David or Phillip Michael Charles

For a Girl: Caroline Victoria Alice

I'd love to see a little prince Philip and both his uncles' names: Philip Henry James

Girl's names are much harde imo. If Victoria would be used I don't think it will be used as a first name. Mary could be used in case of another May birth (as she probably would be called princess May of Cambridge in that case). I like the name Jane and it can be found many times both in William's and Catherine's families (princess Jane would be fine to me, not sure whether people would be worried about the connection to the 9-day queen; although this child has a very small chance of becoming queen one day). Another name that would honour both families would be Frances. Alice of course has been mentioned as the most likely option if they would pick a royal family name as a first name - which they seem to prefer. So, I land on: Alice Victoria/Mary Jane/Frances.

I'd rather not see Victoria or Mary as first name as we already have two crown princesses with those names. Eleanor has also been suggested but we've had quite a few variants of those in royal families (countess Leonore (The Netherlands), infanta Leonor (now princess of Asturias; Spain), princess Eleonore (Belgium), princess Leonore (Sweden) over the last 12 years as well, so rather not. I do see the inconsistency with my male suggestion as there are quite a few Philip's around as well but because the prince would be named after his great-grandfather I'm happy to make an exception.

Been thinking that Alice would actually be very sweet for a youngest born girl (we assume this will be the last). :flowers: Princess Alice. Very sweet. though I continue to like the 'thunder' of a Princess Alexandra. ;)

Been thinking that Alice would actually be very sweet for a youngest born girl (we assume this will be the last). :flowers: Princess Alice. Very sweet. though I continue to like the 'thunder' of a Princess Alexandra. ;)

I think that since there already is a Princess Alexandra in the RF, it would prove very confusing to give the new baby the same name.
(Perhaps it might be a middle name though).

Why would 'we' assume this would be the last?

LaRae

I think that since there already is a Princess Alexandra in the RF, it would prove very confusing to give the new baby the same name.
(Perhaps it might be a middle name though).

There are two princes named Edward. Nobody confuses them.

Yes, but they are referred to as the Duke of Kent and the Earl of Wessex.

But Princess Alexandra is known simply as Princess Alexandra, so I think it might prove confusing if there is another princess with the same name.

There are also Baron Downpatrick and Honourable Edward Lascelles.
So among descendants of King George V there are already four Edwards.

The Duke of Kent was already known by that name for 18 years when The Prince Edward was born.

Of course, that doesn't mean that William and Catherine wouldn't decide to repeat a name but I hope they pick a different one. Moreover, somehow George, Charlotte and Alexandra seems a little off as a combination... but that's just me.

i think they'll go traditional but i'm very bad at guessing, so here goes :lol:
Prince John (after P.William's grandfather from mother's side)
Princess Dorothy (after Catherine's grandmother from mother's side)

I'd love if the would choose Philippa or Alice, but like i said, i never guessed these things correctly, so it's not likely to be any of these :lol:

I'd love to see a little prince Philip and both his uncles' names: Philip Henry James

I'd.

They wont use Philip as they don't usually use names that are in use in the senior Royal family. Phil is still with us, and it wont IMO be Alexandra for the same reason.

They wont use Philip as they don't usually use names that are in use in the senior Royal family. Phil is still with us, and it wont IMO be Alexandra for the same reason.

I have to disagree with your statement...Numerous children were named after senior Royal family members while they were still living, i.e. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, King George V, QEQM, etc., etc., etc...

Moreover, Philip is not known/referred to as 'prince Philip' but as 'The Duke of Edinburgh' and has been since his marriage almost 70 years ago!

Edward was discussed a few posts above this one as another recent example of a repeated name; and not only was the Duke of Kent known by that name at The Prince Edward's birth (as the duke still is until this day), but another famous prince Edward, the former King Edward VIII, at that time known as The Duke of Windsor was still alive (for another 8 years).

Last edited:
For a Prince - Philip Michael Charles

I need to ponder a little longer for a name for a Princess

Would love to see Victoria, Alice, Helena, Margaret, Sophia....Arthur, Leopold, Nicholas, Alexander, John, Carl, Victor, Paul

Philip will be almost 97 when this baby is born. Alexandra will be 81. People aren't going to be confused about if they are talking about the senior citizens version or a newborn.

This family has proven they have no issue using names already in use. There would be no confusion among the family.

Its one thing to eliminate names in use in the same generation, another to eliminate all names in use. Even names used in the far extended family in this generation might not be completely out. While I don't see a Louise/a or James, because of the Wessex kids, names of older generations is another matter. No one is going to confuse a newborn baby with a senior citizen. By the time baby three is old enough to be making headlines for any reason other then first day of school, neither Philip or Alexandra are going to likely be alive. Alexandra may possibly but retired and very few people knew who she is outside royal fans.

Henrik of Denmark has a grandson named for him. Do people get confused over who they are talking about?? When Prince Henrik started his first day of school, I doubt people were confused that the prince consort had gone back to school at his age.:D

Phillipa Wilhelmina Michelle

Philip William Michael

This family has proven they have no issue using names already in use. There would be no confusion among the family.

Its one thing to eliminate names in use in the same generation, another to eliminate all names in use. Even names used in the far extended family in this generation might not be completely out. While I don't see a Louise/a or James, because of the Wessex kids, names of older generations is another matter. No one is going to confuse a newborn baby with a senior citizen. By the time baby three is old enough to be making headlines for any reason other then first day of school, neither Philip or Alexandra are going to likely be alive. Alexandra may possibly but retired and very few people knew who she is outside royal fans.

Henrik of Denmark has a grandson named for him. Do people get confused over who they are talking about?? When Prince Henrik started his first day of school, I doubt people were confused that the prince consort had gone back to school at his age.:D
I forget there are two Henrik's in the Danish family. I agree - people aren't going to confuse an elderly Philip and a young Philip. I still don't see them using Philip as a Christian name but I can definitely see it as a middle name. It's a common middle name among with the family, just like Elizabeth is. Charles, William and James all have Philip in their name and technically Peter does as well - Peter Phillips... Anne, Zara, Beatrice, Louise, Isla and Charlotte all have Elizabeth.

I am still rooting for Princess Alice or Prince Arthur.

I am still rooting for Princess Alice or Prince Arthur.

Haha, Alice is my own name so I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Cambridge ? Prince Philip's mother would be a nice namesake too, and Alice also fits well with George and Charlotte.
I'm still placing my bet on a Princess Mary or a Prince Arthur, though. Seeing a Princess Adela (which I think is less likely) would be lovely as well however. I'd love to see an old name revived.

i think they'll go traditional but i'm very bad at guessing, so here goes :lol:
Prince John (after P.William's grandfather from mother's side)
Princess Dorothy (after Catherine's grandmother from mother's side)

I'd love if the would choose Philippa or Alice, but like i said, i never guessed these things correctly, so it's not likely to be any of these :lol:

John is not used by the Royal family as it is seen to be unlucky after the deaths of the infant Prince John of Wales (son of Edward VII & Alexandra) and Prince John of York (son of George V & Queen Mary).

We live in 21st century, time to put away these stupid superstitions.
Prince John was,in some ways, harmed by the fate (disablility) and now, after nearly 100 years after his death, it would be a high time to honor his memory.
It's also the name of William's grandfather, whom he surely loved and cherished.
Otherwise, John is a biblical name, it means: "Yahweh is Gracious".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom