The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Funny how affection is a thing of perception, I was thinking that Kate & William were not that affectionate in public. It was so good to see the beach/puppy casual pictures recently with Kate's hand on his back.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Please note that off topic posts regarding Diana have been deleted.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton & Prince William First Anniversary Photos : People.com
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

happy annversary :)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think they have always had quite an old fashioned relationship, from the beginning: William is the boss and Kate does what he wants her to do. There are a million examples over the years, just to name two, Kate not working in order to be available for Williams needs, and whenever they split up it was William who decided to split and get back together.
William is more royal (in the Windsor-Mountabatten sense) and less Spencer ("normal", the alledged Diana "down to earth" heritage) than people think.
He clearly is the dominant person in the relationship, I cant recall HIM - noticable for the public - doing any sacrifice or commitment for Kate, that was always her part. My guess is that he is quite a difficult personality and Kate has always and will always put up with it, she will please him. And she doesnt look uncomforable while doing it, good for her. I hope it stays that way because I dont see William flexible in that respect at all. He only married Kate when he knew that she was brought completely into line - HIS line.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Nobility

I thought Kate was the one who split up... As for Will being the dominant force in their relationship. Most relationships have one dominant force. Sometimes it’s the woman and sometimes the man. As long as they are happy it doesn’t matter.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

In the engagement interview they confirmed that they had split up (more than once) and that William did and that Kate didnt agree at the time and that it was hard on her (but on the positive side it made her a grown person bla bla bla part of the process of bringing her into line).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think they have always had quite an old fashioned relationship, from the beginning: William is the boss and Kate does what he wants her to do. There are a million examples over the years, just to name two, Kate not working in order to be available for Williams needs, and whenever they split up it was William who decided to split and get back together.
William is more royal (in the Windsor-Mountabatten sense) and less Spencer ("normal", the alledged Diana "down to earth" heritage) than people think.
He clearly is the dominant person in the relationship, I cant recall HIM - noticable for the public - doing any sacrifice or commitment for Kate, that was always her part. My guess is that he is quite a difficult personality and Kate has always and will always put up with it, she will please him. And she doesnt look uncomforable while doing it, good for her. I hope it stays that way because I dont see William flexible in that respect at all. He only married Kate when he knew that she was brought completely into line - HIS line.
I have to say, there's some pretty vivid imagination being used by lots of people when it comes to William and Kate. Where is the proof that Kate didn't work? From what I understand, she worked for her parents' company, as her sister and brother currently do. Lots and lots of children whose parents have successful businesses end up working for their parents.

We are unlikely ever to know what their relationship is really like, or what prompted the break up. All royal/commoner relationships are unequal, by definition. Every commoner, who's had a relationship with an heir to the throne particularly, has had to make sacrifices to fit in with the royal's lifestyle and responsibilities. Kate's no different in that.

What I will say is, William has been very protective of Kate over the years. He's been very supportive of her in her transition to royal life. He gets on brilliantly with her family, and includes them in their married life. Of course he takes the lead in the official parts of their relationship - he's been a royal all his life, knows the ropes and will one day be sovereign. They seem to each bring certain qualities to the relationship that makes them happy to be with one another. No relationship lasts as long as their's has, with of course the common ups and downs that all relationships have, if they're not both getting what they want and need from the relationship.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Nobility

I tend to agree with a lot of what the Duke of Marmalade says about the relationship, but I also think that EIIR is very correct when she says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
What I will say is, William has been very protective of Kate over the years. He's been very supportive of her in her transition to royal life. He gets on brilliantly with her family, and includes them in their married life. Of course he takes the lead in the official parts of their relationship - he's been a royal all his life, knows the ropes and will one day be sovereign. They seem to each bring certain qualities to the relationship that makes them happy to be with one another. No relationship lasts as long as their's has, with of course the common ups and downs that all relationships have, if they're not both getting what they want and need from the relationship.
To that end, I think he asks for and listens to her opinions. However, I do think whenever the discussion is concluded, she follows his lead as he usually has the final say. Although not to my personal taste as to how a relationship should be conducted, I recognize that it's likely that because they are members of the BRF, this will benefit them - as a couple - in the years to come.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure that when big decisions have to be made William probably takes the reins. But, royal relationships are never an equal partnership. William has been royal his whole life; has experience and the understanding of the institution and how it works. He has clout.

I'd say it's probably not unlike the Queen and Philip's relationship. The Queen is the head of the firm; Philip doesn't have the power that she does. I'm sure HM consults him, but she is sovereign and will make the ultimate decisions. Their relationship has survived this imbalance because while the Queen is head of the institution, Philip is very much head of the family. I think William and Kate will end up with their own particular roles within their marriage which will hopefully satisfy them both.

Not all women are really career focussed, even in 2012. One or two of my friends with whom I studied law at uni are killing their time in jobs they're not passionate about, but look forward to becoming essentially full time wives and mothers. I don't feel that way, but I don't look down on people who do.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Courtier

Anyone William married would have had to adjust her life around his because, realistically, there's not much in William's life that's negotiable. He's always going to be the dominant partner in the more public parts of their lives together because he's the born royal but it doesn't necessarily follow that he's also the dominant partner in their private lives.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is unfortunate that in 2012 it is still hard to accept that some women choose to be wives and mothers as their goals in lives. It's their right to choose that lifestyle, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and if the rumored comment "he's lucky to be dating me" really came from Kate, then she isnt such a doormat or dominated by William as it seems.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Commoner

Contacting TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

If one desired to write to Their Royal Highnesses which address would it be, I am confused as to their official residence supposedly Kensington Palace supposedly they haven't moved in as of renovations, I hear St James Palace and then I have heard Clarence House.

Which one ?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The correspondence of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is still managed by Clarence House (not St. James Palace or Kensington Palace), so letters to the couple should be sent to the following address:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
Clarence House
London SW1A 1BA
United Kingdom

Contact a member of the Royal Family
Old 05-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be surprised if in their personal relationship William capitulates to Kate on a lot of matters. If he likes the normal family atmosphere of the Middletons and wants that emulated in his own marriage, there may be a lot of give and take as well as compromise going on. In public life, that's a different story.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It just annoys me when people say Kate's a doormat who lives her life purely for William. No one would ever say that Prince Philip's a doormat, but he had to make huge sacrifices both personally and professionally to take on a role whereby he's always in his wife's shadow. He had to give up his Greek title and citizenship, his religion, he couldn't invite much of his family to his wedding, he couldn't give his wife or children his own name, he had to give up his career, he's never owned his own home as they're owned by the Queen or the State, among many other things. But no one would ever accuse him of being a walk over the way they do with Kate.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if in their personal relationship William capitulates to Kate on a lot of matters. If he likes the normal family atmosphere of the Middletons and wants that emulated in his own marriage, there may be a lot of give and take as well as compromise going on. In public life, that's a different story.
I think there will always be the two realms - public and private. In their case, William will be King so he will be the leader in all things public (I would assume she would never presume there).

But privately, once children come along, isn't it so that the woman comes into her authority more if she hadn't before? I could see him deferring to her on the domestic front the way the Queen defers to Philip (we are told).

In the end its a dance - but they had a long lead-up to the marriage. Still, marriage changes things, it really does. No matter how long one has been living together, marriage alters the dynamic - I've experienced it and seen it happen time and again. Interesting phenomenon.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
This is how I see their private relationship as well. Of course we'll never know exactly what happens when they're away from the public life (which is the way it ought to be), but I think that they've learned how to work together over the years. I'd imagine that in public life William would and does take the lead, but that's how it ought to be, since he's the Heir and one day will be King. Any relationship is a work in progress and if they stayed where they were five years ago, they would not have ended up married.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

wow! lupo is so big! he have one year?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

We have seen several photos of Catherine with Lupo and I was wondering if he reaslly is a cocker spaniel...Cockers have very long ears and curly hair in the ears, they are not so tall has lupo, lupo is becomeing a very tall dog for his age, and cockers spaniel are a very robust dog but not that high...He is thin and not very robust...Do you think Lupo

http://doggies.com/blog/wp-content/u...po-gardens.jpg

is similar than this one?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-pgoSZWY79o/0.jpg

And of course...I'am not even going to talk about her parents breeding dogs...

But of course breeds are not at all important what is important is that they love the dog and it their own puppy!