Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine has had 8 years to get to know William and her future situation. I don't think we need to be worrying about any of this. She knew him, she knew what the game plan was, she chose to accept his proposal. She knows what will make her happy.

LaRae

Of course we are all projecting!
I've always thought Kate must be rather bored in Anglesey; William has his job, but Kate has little to do. No wonder she enjoys spending time in London!

(Of course, I don't have an inkling if any of that is true; I am going by the way I myself would react!)

Good lord! :sad:
We know she works out for at least 2 hours a day, takes care of the house and cooks the meals. We know she does not socialize with the wives in William's unit
Really? We know for a fact that she works out at least 2 hours a day? Was there some sort of announcement of her private training session that I missed?
Doesn't socialize with the wives of members of Williams crew? Was this announced as well? I must have missed the announcement in the Court Circular as to who they see privately. I thought the benefit of being stationed at RAF Valley was that it would enable them to live a relatively private life away from the prying eyes of the press and the public so we would not be seeing how they live their life away from the cameras. I would expect the families of RAF Valley to also be quite discreet and protective of the Cambridges. Perhaps you or the DM has a mole at RAF Valley?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not like they're stuck for months on end on Anglesey and its not the ends of the earth. They are used to the fend for themselves lifestyle from university days and they probably really enjoy it when they get a chance to. Even though they are still part time royals, they still seem to have a busy life away from Wales. Look at where they got engaged. It was a quite rustic cabin up in the mountains of Kenya. This is not a couple that prefers the glitz and glamor of London nightlife anymore and to be honest, quiet days in Anglesey and the woods and streams of Balmoral are what they probably prefer. They know that once they're out and about it tends to get busy for the both of them and I bet staying home with their feet up is quite bliss to them especially as they're still relatively newly weds. :D

As regards what Kate might get up to whilst in Wales, she probably spends her time on catching up / reading up on her current and potential charities, any office related work (presumably on phone / skype with SJP), liaising with BP and SJP on forthcoming engagements, diary planning........ In essence, quite a lot of the "work" (outside of public engagements) that she might do whilst in London, she probably does from Wales.

In addition, she is probably doing a fair amount of work with architects and interior design consultants on planning the refurbishments for the proposed new home at KP. All of that probably fills up her week reasonably.

Lets also not forget that given that they live in a remote part fothe country, they probably spend a fair amount of time on the road gettong to / fro public engagements and family / social events inb London and the Home Counties.

And lets not forget the important stuff. Getting trained by Lupo. After all... he IS a royal dog!

I agree with you Muriel that there is a lot of behind the scenes things that Kate probably has to keep current on and staying around the house affords her the opportunity to do it all. She can connect with SJP while the roast is in the oven and consult with interior designers between loads of laundry. Then the fun stuff comes... consulting and planning with William over dinner. She's very much learning hands on how to be the "lady of the manor" that many women in past eras went to finishing schools for.

Although it has been said that William is quite stubborn and controlling, I take that to mean as far as his relationship with the public and the media and somewhat even to what would affect their day to day lives (an example would be the wedding planning). After being a couple and at times even living together, I think in reality if William was a dominating, controlling type of guy in his relationship with Kate, it'd never have made it to the altar. To me this couple presents itself as a very unified team and that doesn't ever happen when one spouse controls the other.

exactly! any reports I have read about William being controlling have been in regards to the press and how he chooses to live his life. I have never had the impression, nor did it even occur to me until it was mentioned on this board that was how he could be perceived in his personal life, especially not towards Kate. He has always shown to be very protective of her and of their time together. When he is speaking - I always feel as if they are doing it as a team.

I think the behind the scenes work of the DOC is more time consuming than can be imagined. She is just embarking on her 2nd year as an official member of the firm. She is planning a new home at KP (not to mention the new place at Sandringham), a jubilee tour and a wardrobe for all of her upcoming engagements - which does take time. She is working on her charities, reading up - and trying to make William and his family proud of her. Just because there isnt a photo op, doesnt mean that she doesnt have a busy active life.

First, some context - it takes a woman a lot of time and very particular effort to get 'abs like that.' I'm talking serious work-out time daily. I know - in my storied career - I have been boff. A woman does not get muscle definition easily - it's the way we are. Not saying Kate can't have abs like that - just that it takes a lot of effort and time.

I personally know women with similar body types that don't need to work as hard as other women to get well defined tone. Partly because they have so little body fat to begin with that any muscle tone they acheive is more pronounced and partly because they have been athletic their entire lives. Catherine "may" put in 1-2 hours a day, or she "may" put in 3 - 4 hours a week. Either way she can still be fit and toned. Considering her mother and sister's bodies I would say genetics play a huge role as well. The fact is we have no idea what her exercise routine is, only that she enjoys jogging and walking and we have seen pics of her and William coming out of a gym. Everything else is speculation.

So when it comes to that - what else does she have to do with herself? Recall that when William returned from the Falklands he announced that Kate would not be doing any more engagements until the Jublilee. The master had spoken (wonder how happy she was about that little bit of male dominance?) We all know that William 'has a job' and is 'very busy' - but what has he relegated his wife to? If we are to believe that they do not have servants, then Kate is 'busy' in her days squirreled away in Wales (where she knows no one) happily (we are to assume) cleaning the house, doing the laundry and cooking the meals for 'her man'. We all know how all that contributes to getting abs - not much.

Again, you are assuming she doesn't have anything else to do but work out, housework and cooking meals. You of course completely ignore that she went on a significant official tour of Canada and the US mere months after marrying, has had extensive prepping for her new role, has researched visited and established her patronship of various charities, made official appearances with William, Her Majesty, has had a significant role in the Jubilee and has done some less publicized visits as well. Not to mention, while she has been in London photographed shopping, she was also meeting with advisors, etc.. So really, the "down time" in Anglessy is very limited now versus what it was prior to becoming the Duchess and Cambridge.

And as it happens, Kate has far more time than even her mother has who runs a business. Poor Kate - I don't envy her - relegated to non-work (outside of housework) while her husband is 'working' and 'busy'. Kate's only prospect of 'work' is public engagements - for William to have shut that down for her - well, she has very little choice but to either watch television eating bon-bons or going out for runs and work-outs. More power to her - if that's her body, them's her abs - and she is doing great! :D

Yes, and her mother and sister who have careers also seem to have a lot of play time as well judging by all the photos of them doing just that. It is possible to do both. Kate's "job" is the Duchess of Cambridge. She cannot get a job outside of the BRF, and while William is stationed in Anglessy with the RAF, she needs to be there as well in order to spend time with her husband. Even then, neither one of them can be entirely free from their duties considering the advisors, personal secretaries and staff they have in London who need to be in contact with them even in Anglessy. I seriously doubt she has much time to sit and watch the telly or working out all day. Her leisure life was over the moment she said "I do" to the second in line to the thone, and the fact is we have no idea what her typical day is like in that role.

As to William "shutting it down for her" and forcing her to be just a housewife, that is truly ridiculous. I have had the impression judging by the Jubilee that William's time in the RAF is coming to a close. She has IMO been doing a fabulous job stepping into her role and she has certainly exceeded the BRF's and many naysayers expectations, however if William's time in the RAF and Anglessy is coming to a close they both have every right to enjoy what time they have left there.

He has always shown to be very protective of her and of their time together. When he is speaking - I always feel as if they are doing it as a team.

Personally I think that as a married couple, they probably do make most decisions jointly and it just happens that when something is revealed to the outside world, it comes from William. He obviously is the spokesperson for the couple and with more experience dealing with such things, rightly so.

Can you imagine the shock and awe reactions from folks if all of a sudden after being married a short time Kate started to be the voice of the couple?
OMG!! She doesn't know her place and she's upstaging a future King!! The possibilities are endless. :ohmy:

I want to thank those who have discussed what Kate may or may not be doing in a reasonable way, without feeling a need to make disparaging remarks regarding other ideas - as in naming such 'ridiculous' or 'imaginings'. :flowers:

Every person who has 'imagined' what Kate is doing - working on the renovations, her 'diary, her upcoming trip, skyping meetings, etc., have as much 'imagined' as I have, and I find no reason to guffaw because they have so 'imagined'. Many of you have gone so far as to paint a very idyllic picture of Kate and William chatting over supper on an evening - that is as much an 'imagining' as anything else. It's reasonable to assume, however, but in some respects it's far from likely that happens more than a day or two a week given William's schedule and his time away from home.

As for all the things I listed that (we know) she does - it all comes from what either they themselves said as a couple or what others have indicated on this thread is happening from sources (I'd have to go back in the thread to find out) - example is the 2 hours a day of running and hiking - that factoid came from this thread - someone mentioned it.

Result is I have learned some stuff from the conversation - but I do not 'learn' from being ridiculed. Who does? I am not anyone who runs complaining to the mods if I don't like a post or a conversation. I do, however, dislike it when I have to brace myself before I open a thread I've posted on, ready to wince at someone's pecking. It's unpleasant to see it done to others - and it is for sure unpleasant to experience. Just saying.

Fact is, one can 'read' this relationship in any number of ways. I'm just not at all certain of what 'most' posters seem to see. Many have pointed out that William and Kate spent a long time living together in just such a hide-away during their St Andrew's years. There was a considerable difference back then - they both had 'jobs' back then, so to speak. Both were students, bound to study and work. They were working on degrees. It's a bit different here - William is the one working and it's by his choice. Kate is the one who is - at the age of 30 - idling in a sense. Now you may not like that last bit - but it hardly warrants being rude or deprecating. Many there are who think the same way but will not post precisely because of the 'handling' I just received.

Last edited:
I must admit holding back on my "imaginings" on occasion as I am concerned about the response I might get back. I think all opinions should be welcomed as a means of informing the debate.

My view is that William runs this relationship - not in a bad way, merely that his work is the priority. There was a comment made in the engagement interview about when he comes home from a day's work he just wants to chill out and not have to cook. That sets the picture in my book.

My biggest disappointment was that she ceased to carry out further engagements on her own. I thought she blossomed as a royal - she engaged with people, it all seemed to work. He came back from the Falklands and she disappeared. :sad: Not good PR and some people see this as her "fault" when I think its about William being the priority.

I was pleased that she went to Wimbledon without him - I think that it's healthy to have your own interests and follow them.

We have the Olympics and hopefully they will do some separate engagements. It would be good from a PR perspective if nothing else.

Then there is the tour of Tuvalu, Singapore, Malaysia etc. :)

It would be good to see her do more on her own and increase her charities/patronages. 4 and the Scouts is not enough.

Thank you Tyger for reminding all of us that we're all observers here and perhaps see things differently. It is through respectful discussion of what we do see that intelligent conversation ensues and enriches all of us. Its what we come here to do and enjoy. No one deserves to be ridiculed and/or disrespected because they offer their point of view.

Perhaps it is because William and Kate do not have too much on their public agendas before the hustle and bustle of the upcoming Olympics that we've kind of sidetracked from their current events but I have found the conversation for the most part informative and thought provoking and like others, have put into words what I have imagined that this couple just might be up to while they're having some downtime in Wales. Perhaps this is why they really do hold their private lives to themselves. One of the biggest drawbacks of being a member of the royal Fishbowl is that each and every little detail gets hashed out to the max and I don't think there's one person among us that would want every single facet of our lives dissected and analyzed by people that don't even actually know us. I know I sure wouldn't.

<<jumps off her enter key and heads to the kitchen for lunch. :flowers:

Kate is very busy spending about US$40,000 per year on hair, makeup, makeup remover, skincare and mani/pedi salon visits...just to look "normal" (per Good Morning America). I can't stop laughing.

That's sure to get me a reprimand from various contributors.

No worries KA your comment is fine with me. Its true Im sure that Catherine does alot of primping and Im sure it costs a pretty penny. I suppose its part of the game. :)

And yet I'm sure she spend less than any of the royals whether British or continental with their Valentino's, Chanel, Dior, Louboutin outfits.

Yes you are probably right miche. I dont see Catherine in any super high end designers like some which leads me to think that she is somewhat conservative when buying her outfits. There are probabaly some expenses that cannot be helped but for the most part she has been rather frugal. I like that about her. :)

Absolutely Baroness. They are in a whole different world than us regular folk. So keeping up the image is important. They have to " look " the part in every way.

Ladies, I do not care how much Kate spends on frou-frou. I posted the info as I could cite the source.

Ladies, I do not care how much Kate spends on frou-frou. I posted the info as I could cite the source.

It sounds like something that would come off of Good Morning America where they probably think of the British royals as some kind of psuedo-celebrities.

I could care less too how much or how little anyone else spends on whatever it is they purchase. :)

Reason being that I've noticed that with American reporting on the royals it tends to pertain to the persons themselves and what they do, what they wear, who they met and what their lifestyles are as would be any report on celebrities be as a general rule. British reporting by the higher respectable media tends to focus on what they were doing and why such as "XXX takes the podium to speak out about British riots". In other words, they focus more on what the BRF hope to achieve than their American counterparts. I've never heard any report on any American station that has been anything but nice when speaking of them too. Of course this is just my observations. :)

I really wonder how they got the $40k figure. Is there somewhere where the tallies of what she spends is made public and I don't know about it?

Better? What an odd and whimsical suggestion in itself some might say. What or who is it exactly that HRH is measured by that would suggest Catherine should look better. She is aesthetically fortunate in more than one way (facial structure, contour, height, body shape etc) and is evidently healthy. By all accounts, she makes for a very pretty picture.

Furthermore, How do we know how much is spent on the said beauty regimen of the Duchess? Are people really so easily won over by the estimations of an early morning breakfast program that they consider it a reliable source of information?

Last edited:
NGalitzine said:
Really? We know for a fact that she works out at least 2 hours a day? Was there some sort of announcement of her private training session that I missed?
Doesn't socialize with the wives of members of Williams crew? Was this announced as well? I must have missed the announcement in the Court Circular as to who they see privately. I thought the benefit of being stationed at RAF Valley was that it would enable them to live a relatively private life away from the prying eyes of the press and the public so we would not be seeing how they live their life away from the cameras. I would expect the families of RAF Valley to also be quite discreet and protective of the Cambridges. Perhaps you or the DM has a mole at RAF Valley?

Testify
Certain people are just projecting their own desires on Kate and assuming she must be being bullied to stay in Anglessey when they themselves would hate it.
< ed Warren >

Testify
Certain people are just projecting their own desires on Kate and assuming she must be being bullied to stay in Anglessey when they themselves would hate it.

I'm not sure whether this refers to a comment I made earlier or not as you haven't defined who the "certain people" are. (My earlier post = #819)

For clarity, I have said that I think that Catherine is in Angelsey because William's work is the priority - and I don't say that in a negative way. I reference his comments in the engagement interview.

I personally can't think of anything I would love more than quiet and seclusion in a beautiful place and lots of time to myself but also time to spend with my partner. Throw in a horse and lots of books and I'd be happy as a clam.

:previous:Isn't that the truth....and idyllic walks by the beach and in the countryside, puppy at my heels, with a pub haunt or two.:)

Last edited:
:previous:Isn't that the truth....and idyllic walks by the beach and in the countryside, with a pub haunt or two.:)

I live in a place like that - dont have my own horses tho' but they roam free where I live

:previous:Nice, I envy you that, cepe, although the lifestyle isn't for everyone. But it is for me, and I'd take it in a New York minute, as they say!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom