The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I read about this on my twitter (the link to the pictures wasn't provided), and I felt that perhaps this was going a little bit overboard. Do we really need to know what she buys to put in her home fridge? I think not.

"I was comparing Kate to HM and PR only in that they know how to dress and, apparently, she does not."

HM and PR may dress appropriately and 'know how to dress', especially if one has 'dowdy' taste. Catherine dresses beautifully; no wonder so many people admire her for her tasteful style.

I don't know about the UK but in the States many, many elementary school teachers wear jeans to teach. It would really look strange, and IMO feel uncomfortable, if Catherine showed up on such a visit as this all "done up". I don't know why people are getting in such a tizzy about it. It was a group of small children commenting on what they thought a Princess looked/dressed like, nothing more! Sometimes small children have rather grandiose ideas. :)

:previous: I read about this on my twitter (the link to the pictures wasn't provided), and I felt that perhaps this was going a little bit overboard. Do we really need to know what she buys to put in her home fridge? I think not.

Cereal, orange juice, milk, basil and other normal food items. Now I can go to sleep happy armed with the proof that Will and Kate eat just like us. So relieved we have the pictures to prove it! ;) (Said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

Last edited:

While it is slightly interesting to see what she's buying for them to eat, I can't help but feel sorry for her. She's probably trying to get out of there as fast as possible to avoid a frenzy of paps...unless that's just a rude employee blatantly snapping photos of her... Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if she started having someone do the shopping for her.

I may be overreacting, but these pictures kind of made me sick to my stomach. What a blatant invasion of privacy. I think taking her picture going in or coming out of the store is probably expected and even tolerated but taking pictures of her inside the store as well as itemizing what she bought is too much for me.:eek:

I maybe wrong but the pictures appear to be taken from above which could mean CCTV or a staff room/office !?!? I think it's wrong that these have been released :-(

I maybe wrong but the pictures appear to be taken from above which could mean CCTV or a staff room/office !?!? I think it's wrong that these have been released :-(

If I remember correctly, there was a bit of glare on some of the pictures, as if they were taken through a window. Perhaps a window to an office? If it was an employee who took them, that is all sorts of wrong!

Cereal, orange juice, milk, basil and other normal food items. Now I can go to sleep happy armed with the proof that Will and Kate eat just like us. So relieved we have the pictures to prove it! ;) (Said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

I love reading your 'deadpan' comments. They give me the laugh that I'm in need of almost always. Sarcasm is wonderful :D. So yes, we can now all rest easily knowing what exactly Catherine puts into her home fridge. Takes oh so much stress off of my mind :ermm:.

I may be overreacting, but these pictures kind of made me sick to my stomach. What a blatant invasion of privacy. I think taking her picture going in or coming out of the store is probably expected and even tolerated but taking pictures of her inside the store as well as itemizing what she bought is too much for me.:eek:

Agree completely. There's no need for such details.

I'm hoping that whoever had the gall to share these images with the press will be properly reprimanded. Invasion of privacy, in my opinion.

While it is slightly interesting to see what she's buying for them to eat, I can't help but feel sorry for her. She's probably trying to get out of there as fast as possible to avoid a frenzy of paps...unless that's just a rude employee blatantly snapping photos of her... Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if she started having someone do the shopping for her.

Well, I guess you can easily see that the pictures are taken through a window - so I guess ist was an employee taking the pictures, which I find really mean.

Hopefully she sees a therapist at least once a week to help her deal with all this stress, and to decompress from the constant media hounding and attention.

ETA: That or I hope her body guard has a sympathetic ear.

NONSENSE!!! It is the tax payers' money she is using! Itemized groceries, hah! What detergent do they use! What type of body soap, deodorant and toothpaste is being bought with the tax payers' money. It is our right to know. (Sounds like a line from a movie script, huh?)

Oh my - I'd be mortified if someone posted pix of what I put in my cart - chips, cookies, candy, soda - yikes! This may be the perfect diet - post photos of your shopping cart each week. All of a sudden, my shopping would switch to greens and grains. Seriously, that was taken from an overhead camera - shame on the store

Oh no, they didn't!! It's so intrusive... I'm so shocked by what I see. I didn't like when we had William and Kate's pictures in a grocery last year, in her village's family, with a caption explaining what they bought, and that William had forgotten his money so Catherine had to pay. All these stories are not our business, they do what they want! Catherine's glance to the camera is very disturbing. It must be awful to be pictured while doing grocery shopping. I hope that it will stop there, and that paparazzis won't act with her like they did with Diana. I'm totally sure that William won't like these pics, and that the palace will react.

Hopefully she sees a therapist at least once a week to help her deal with all this stress, and to decompress from the constant media hounding and attention.

ETA: That or I hope her body guard has a sympathetic ear.

I think the paps are very kind to her. No one is "hounding" Kate. If she chooses to go to public places, she knows what might happen.

NONSENSE!!! It is the tax payers' money she is using! Itemized groceries, hah! What detergent do they use! What type of body soap, deodorant and toothpaste is being bought with the tax payers' money. It is our right to know. (Sounds like a line from a movie script, huh?)

Don't the BRF provide documentation at the end of each year detailing where all their tax-payer money went? I think a line has to be drawn somewhere, and it should certainly come before photographically detailing each and every purchase... I get that there are varying degrees of appreciation for the monarchy, but The Duchess of Cambridge is worth much more to the British people than whatever money she may spend on travel, clothes, lodging and food... Plus she's sweet and adorable! I think all that warrants a little privacy when doing her shopping--certainly when she's IN THE STORE and not out in the streets.

It really DOES look like an employee took these pictures. It would have really caused a stir but I wish that Catherine had openly pointed up at the camera .... apologized for leaving but walk out with the items left on the belt. Sure a great story line for the tabloids but my bet is, it would be the last time that a Tesco employee would take a picture like that. Hopefully someone in management saw these pictures and was a horrified as we are. The employee needs to be sacked .... just NOT good customer service! It has nothing to do with being a "public figure", it has to do with the fact that an employee would do such a thing to ANYONE.

Oh no, they didn't!! It's so intrusive... I'm so shocked by what I see. I didn't like when we had William and Kate's pictures in a grocery last year, in her village's family, with a caption explaining what they bought, and that William had forgotten his money so Catherine had to pay. All these stories are not our business, they do what they want! Catherine's glance to the camera is very disturbing. It must be awful to be pictured while doing grocery shopping. I hope that it will stop there, and that paparazzis won't act with her like they did with Diana. I'm totally sure that William won't like these pics, and that the palace will react.

I'm most probably in the minority here, but if Catherine is going to go out and shop in public places then she is going to be photographed. And in this case I expect the "well they're trying to lead a normal life" comment, and in my opinion they will never ever lead a normal life because they will never ever cease to be royalty.
The pair are kidding themselves if they actually think they can just shy away in Wales and not be touched except when they come out of hiding to go to select engagements. It's quite easy to have shopping delivered to your home, therefore avoiding the cameras outside the shops taking pictures of you. I don't exactly know why Catherine has a dirty look on her face when she should perfectly know well by now what lifestyle she's got herself into.

It really DOES look like an employee took these pictures.......it would be the last time that a Tesco employee would take a picture like that. Hopefully someone in management saw these pictures and was a horrified as we are. The employee needs to be sacked .... just NOT good customer service! It has nothing to do with being a "public figure", it has to do with the fact that an employee would do such a thing to ANYONE.

Has it been proven that an employee took these pictures? Is it any different to a woman in the exact same shop turning around and taking a picture on their phone of Catherine with her shopping on the belt?
To me it looks like someone is stood outside the shop, a professional, and has took the pictures. Or it's a big tescos(we have express ones, medium sized ones then superstore types) and they're on a balcony overlooking the checkouts and their photos have been published. I bet someone in management at this store is reaping the benefits of this picture and smiling profusely, their custom is probably going to increase tenfold by people hoping for a glance of Catherine.

Last edited:
:previous: Totally agree. Also, whether she is inside the market or outside in the parking lot, it is public space that anyone can enter. I'm sure if Kate didn't want photos taken, she could ask the market to close it's doors while she shops. This would leave only Kate, the manager (who would also check her out) and her protection staff. Fortum & Mason does (or used to do) this for the Queen.

KittyAtlanta said:
:previous: Totally agree. Also, whether she is inside the market or outside in the parking lot, it is public space that anyone can enter. I'm sure if Kate didn't want photos taken, she could ask the market to close it's doors while she shops. This would leave only Kate, the manager (who would also check her out) and her protection staff. Fortum & Mason does (or used to do) this for the Queen.

I agree she must know this will happen so she either has them sent or do it all the time till it becomes a boring photo and people lose interest

One of the Tesco stores near me has a customer restaurant on a mezzanine level with a balcony overlooking the main shopping floor. I would be fairly certain this is where these pictures were taken from. Having worked in a major supermarket as a student they pretty much all keep their offices in the back of the store with windowless rooms, well away from the eyes of shoppers.

While the pictures are certainly intrusive, I happen to agree that if Kate is going to go out in public and shop, than she should expect that pictures will be taken. If its not the press who took this picture, but an employee or someone shopping at the same time....trust me...they made a pretty penny from this picture...especially if is sold overseas. A while back I read in the Washington Post magazine about a company that deals with ordinary people who see stars, celebrities and/or well known people and take pictures. If you take a candid shot, you can certainly upload it and they sell it on your behalf. So its not just the professional photographers who have an interest in selling pics.

I think it becomes a problem when she is stalked like Diana was (and it appears Pippa is now), when every time she goes out and about someone is following her. It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.

That being said, does TESCO have home delivery? With Giant (a grocery store in my local area) you can order online and have it delivered to your home. Of course, its not the same thing as picking up your own produce. But there you go.

As someone said...they are not normal so they should just move on from that concept.

Last edited:
That being said, does TESCO have home delivery? With Giant (a grocery store in my local area) you can order online and have it delivered to your home. Of course, its not the same thing as picking up your own produce. But there you go.

As someone said...they are not normal so they should just move on from that concept.

Tesco certainly does do home delivery as do our other major supermarkets, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Marks and Spencer.

While the pictures are certainly intrusive, I happen to agree that if Kate is going to go out in public and shop, than she should expect that pictures will be taken. If its not the press who took this picture, but an employee or someone shopping at the same time....trust me...they made a pretty penny from this picture...especially if is sold overseas. A while back I read in the Washington Post magazine about a company that deals with ordinary people who see stars, celebrities and/or well known people and take pictures. If you take a candid shot, you can certainly upload it and they sell it on your behalf. So its not just the professional photographers who have an interest in selling pics.

I think it becomes a problem when she is stalked like Diana was (and it appears Pippa is now), when every time she goes out and about someone is following her. It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.

I think they're probably aware there's always a chance they'll be photographed in public, whatever they're doing. That doesn't mean they have to like it, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to look happy about these kinds of pictures being taken if I was in that situation, but I guess the alternative is never leaving the house. To be fair, I can only recall one other time that I've seen pictures of Kate grocery shopping since the wedding - given that this is likely something she does regularly, I have to assume that the majority of the time they're out doing errands, they are, in fact, left alone.

:previous: Exactly.

Most people I assume go shopping once a week or every two weeks (at least in the States). So if follows that "rule" and we have only seen two pictures than that is not so bad.

That being said the pictures are somewhat intrusive but she is out in public. So the expectation of privacy isn't really an issue. Now if someone followed her from her home, watched her run her errands (including shopping) or photographed her on a boat in the Aegean Sea than that is another matter.

I've really enjoyed reading the posts. If you saw Kate, had your cellphone and could get a good photo of her, I have no doubt any one of you would take the snap. I'm only a marginal Kate-o-phile, but I'd be all over getting a photo.

:whistling:
I've really enjoyed reading the posts. If you saw Kate, had your cellphone and could get a good photo of her, I have no doubt any one of you would take the snap. I'm only a marginal Kate-o-phile, but I'd be all over getting a photo.

I would, not even going to try to fib about it...:whistling::ohmy:

It does remind me of the frenzy that first happened when Diana married Charles and she couldn't go out without someone following her and taking pictures. I believe someone from BP complained and asked if it could be toned down a bit (not stopped just relaxed) and someone (from the press I believe) simply stated that if Diana wanted to go to the store and get chocolates, couldn't she send a servant or something like that. Apparently, the look they got in response was quite priceless.
Yes, The Queen apparently called in the Editors to ask for some restraint in their coverage of the princess. Her response to the question about sending a servant to do the shopping was supposed to be something along the lines of "What a terribly snobbish idea" and the editor on the receiving end apparently withered away under the "Windsor look" and was incredibly embarressed.

Yep, have to agree, I'd be as starstruck as anyone else and would be taking a pic or two with my cell phone of any celebrity in public. But that's different than taking a series of shots that do border on some invasion of privacy, which is the price one pays when you go out in public.

I am in two minds over the recent photos. I do agree that they are very intrusive and perhaps slightly unnecessary, however Catherine is what we now call in this modern age a "celebrity", therefore press hound her. I understand that it would be annoying to be constantly followed but this is what happens when you marry the future King of England...I am not saying it is okay, I just think people need to get used to it - Catherine is going to be hounded until the day she dies, no doubt. Anyone marrying into the Royal Family has the same problem, though perhaps not on the same level as Catherine (or Diana) will ever have it, but once you slip the Royal Welsh gold onto your ring finger you've signed up for a lifetime in the papers, be it a positive or negative light.

All Catherine can do, which I think she is doing, is ignoring them. As one of the Princes said in a documentary once, "If you stand still they will eventually stop clicking."

i don't think the pictures bother kate. yes, it's not the nicest to be followed around but she seems to know it comes with the life she has chosen and has not complained, so why do we? it was obviously another shopper or even a member of the staff but one can hardly blame them: they know they can get money for the pictures or just simply find it great to bump into kate while shopping/working and snap some pictures.
i see no reason to get alarmed. kate seems fine with this and i bet the staff were happy to see her in their shop.
it's otherwise great that she leads a normal life otherwise. it sounds clichéd but i don't recall seeing pictures of royals doing their grocery shopping. it's clear that she still very much enjoys doing things the same way she used to and i think she deserves some credit for it. some others would just ask staff to handle the shopping and cook for them...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom