Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect the dress, including consultations, was closer to £250,000 after all. It's not unusual for couture pieces to cost £100,000+. Especially considering the craftsmanship and detail..

I don't think it really matters in "real money" what Burton charged the Middletons for Kate's wedding gown; the resulting publicity and fame will multiply the cost to an incalculable degree. Thirty years later, the Emmanuels are still remembered and making money from designing Diana's dress and neither David nor Elizabeth can be said to have had or worked for major houses such as McQueen. In fact, until Diana discussed her mother paying for her dress with "golden guineas", many American and Canadian newspapers insisted that the Emmanuels had given it to Diana, either at cost or completely for free.

Although not American, I've been in the US quite a lot in the past year and Sarah Burton was totally unknown outside of fashion circles until the wedding; now her name is on the lips of every girl with a Facebook account who is interested in fashion. Priceless!

I think I have heard of Alexander McQueen before the wedding. True Sarah Burton is a household name, but isn't she still working for Alexander McQueen, so in a way her company is a household name.

I think I have heard of Alexander McQueen before the wedding. True Sarah Burton is a household name, but isn't she still working for Alexander McQueen, so in a way her company is a household name.

I absolutely agree that Alexander McQueen was very well known; It was Sarah Burton to whom I was referring and whether her name is carried on the label or not (you're 100% right - she still works for McQueen, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't eventually have her name added to the House or open her own), she will be sought out for years to come due to designing Kate's dress, IMHO.

Is it customary for a dress to go on display so soon after the wedding? Charlene's dress was displayed even faster than Kate's.

Is it customary for a dress to go on display so soon after the wedding? Charlene's dress was displayed even faster than Kate's.

I believe Mary's, Maxima's and Mette-Marits went on display after their weddings.

Last edited:
I loved kate's wedding dress and to think we waited so long for the dress and I believe Kate had excellent taste in picking out that dressage will forever be remembered when she married the prince;)

Kim Kardashian is a standout for me despite her fake marriage. Dylan Lauren arguably had the best wedding dress of the year; and of course Kate Middleton's is iconic. Petra Eccleston had the best hair.

Another thing that I liked about Catherine's dress was how she had the flora of the four regions of the UK - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - represented on her lace. She had the rose, shamrock, tistle and...the flora of Wales escapes me, darn.

But anyway, I think that was the real highlight of the dress.

Daffodils?

Thanks for jogging my mind about the flowers, Sonja. Just got through watching a documentary on youtube about the dress (a retrospective on the royal year, actual) and they showed the lacemakers close up making those flowers - truly amazing.

PrincessKaimi said:
Daffodils?

Thanks for jogging my mind about the flowers, Sonja. Just got through watching a documentary on youtube about the dress (a retrospective on the royal year, actual) and they showed the lacemakers close up making those flowers - truly amazing.

Ooooooh!! What was the name of the documentary??? I'd love to see it!

I didn't know Kate had representation decorations in her dress. The last time I can recall that being done is with Elizabeth's coronation gown, which was indeed beautiful.

It was a pretty dress, with the exception of the Cambridge Cones.

It was a pretty dress, with the exception of the Cambridge Cones.

Well, she had no-win situation. If she didn't have any padding, she would've looked very small. Some people would've made fun of her for being an A cup. Plus, the dress wouldn't have looked good with a flat chest. So Catherine had no choice, IMO.

No one who matters would have made fun of her natural figure.

I spent ages last night trying to work out what the Cambridge cones meant!

I immediately made the association with Madonna's infamous cones, and the shoe dropped! :ROFLMAO:

I personally did not find Kate's wedding dress beautiful at all, I think it is just normal dress :D

I personally did not find Kate's wedding dress beautiful at all, I think it is just normal dress :D

So a "normal" dress cannot be beautiful? What then constitutes beauty? Perhaps something odd or strange since that would seem to be the opposite of normal?

I do a lot of sewing of formal gowns and I found Kate's dress to be exquisite. Loved it beyond measure. And, I really appreciated the modesty of the dress. A breath of fresh air in a mass of skimpier and trashier styles.

I saw a new Simplicity pattern yesterday that I think, in small part, took some inspiration from Kate's dress. I need to get to the fabric store and read the instructions (after I buy it of course, lol) but I'm pretty sure from the sketches that the skirt pleats similarly to how Kate's pleated (minus the peplum in the back though).

I suspect that other aspects of her dress will influence dress patterns for at least a few years.

Back
Top Bottom