The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely, and congratulations to you, Duchess!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

You look amazing Duchess. The future Duke of Durham is a very lucky man!

Good on you also for not going for the strapless gown. It's become so ubiquitous nowadays that it's almost a cliche in my opinion!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Thank you for all the congratulations!

The future Duke of Durham, who does not even look at TRF, and I have been together for almost 7 years. I am so excited to marry him.

Here is the dress, and veil, I did get. The veil will be worn a little further back on my head, and my hair will be pulled back.
I was hoping you would go for shorter sleeves and you DID! That is a lovely ensemble...wish I could see more of the veil. I love the skirt, is that overlay separate or just looks that way? You look just loverly!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Thank you all for the compliments. I had narrowed my choice down to three dresses and when my mother cried over this one, I knew it was the one.

Kitty, the lace overlay is part of the dress and it is so soft. I love soft lace. I can't remember if the lace is attached to the fabric in the train or not. I recall the seamstress breaking thread that connected the two, but I can't remember if it that meant they will be separated on my wedding day, or if she was trying to show which type of bustle can be created as the train is not detachable.

The dress is actually a halter dress. No self-respecting 44 year old with chunky upper arms should wear a sleeveless dress, thus I am wearing, and will wear, a lace caplet, as shown in the picture. The caplet will be snapped onto the dress so I can take it off at the party if I want to. The caplets came in the day before I tried on dresses, guess that was really meant to be. Bonus too was that I bought the dress off the rack. There does need to be some alterations, which no doubt is to be expected.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

You look so happy! Congratulations and best wishes
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

When is the happy day?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
When is the happy day?
November 3rd. Tried for November 10th as our anniversary would be 11/10 or 10/11 if we moved Europe. But, things didn't work out. Oh well!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Apparently Sarah Burton lied straight to US Vogue editor Anna Wintour's face when she asked her if she was designing Kate's wedding dress - brave woman! Burton also made the Alexander McQueen Autumn 2011 collection predominantly white as an excuse to order white fabric and fool her designers; when they thought they were simply working on the autumn collection they were actually working on Kate's wedding dress.

Royal wedding dress designer Sarah Burton's strategic secrets - Telegraph
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, brava to Sarah Burton for not spilling the beans to the formidable Ms. Wintour. Guess she weighed her options and realized the cost of revealing wedding secrets to a fashion editor, of all people!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

All the same, I'm sure she very quickly got in touch with Ms Winter's office on the afternoon of the 29th April to ask for forgiveness!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Most likely, and I'm sure Anna totally understood and forgave her!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

If I was Anna I would understand, but why would Anna ask when she knows the designer has to be kept a secret?
On another note, I am getting sick of people comparing Kate's dress to Grace's! They both have lace at the too; the end. Her dress is more of a mid-way rip off of Isabel Orsini's dress.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Here's more pics of Caroline Trentini's wedding dress, which some thought looked like Kate's.

the Fashion Spot - View Single Post - Caroline Trentini Engaged to Photographer Fabio Bartelt *Update, Now Married*

Designed by Olivier Theyskens. She's so beautiful, even though I don't particulary care for her dress. The fabric of the train is too wrinkled.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Caroline Trentini marries a replica of the dress Kate Middleton
http://blog.hola.com/fashionassistan...middleton.html

Google Google Translate
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like that Caroline's skirt is fuller, but that is the end of the positives. After 1 yr I have yet to see a good replica of this dress that wasn't on a doll. Caroline's dress looks liked it was rushed and made with paper. The plunging neckline also doesn't appear as demure as Kate's.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Why would any woman want to wear a copy of another womans wedding dress, especially one that is so well known?

Reminds me of when I was little and went with my mother to the wedding of a cousin. The bride wore a copy of Dianas dress right down to the huge train. Unfortunately she didnt take into account that Diana married in St Pauls Cathedral and she was marrying in a small village church. The bride made it to the altar when the train was just getting inside the church doors. The poor little page boys and flower girls had to step over the train, and getting the bride out of the church took a great deal of work. My mother almost had a fit of giggles and when it was over and we got in the car she pretty much collapsed in tears of laughter.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well Kate's train obviously wouldn't be a problem for a non-royal bride. And some of these royal wedding dresses look like copies of each others or something else that was seen previously.
Diana's dress can be found in the first part of Gone With The Wind
Many have seen similarities between Sarah Chatto's wedding dress and Mette-Marit's.
I believe Princess Margaret's daughter-in-law married in a gown replicated after her own.
Kate's dress was a revised version of Isabella Orsini's
Charlene's dress looked similar to Princess Victoria's
And then there are the numerous strapless gowns that people on this board complain about.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Here's more pics of Caroline Trentini's wedding dress, which some thought looked like Kate's.

the Fashion Spot - View Single Post - Caroline Trentini Engaged to Photographer Fabio Bartelt *Update, Now Married*

Designed by Olivier Theyskens. She's so beautiful, even though I don't particulary care for her dress. The fabric of the train is too wrinkled.
Thanks for posting those pics, Merel. I for one think that Caroline Trentini's gown has a lighter feel to it. There was a sort of harshness in Kate's dress that still bothers me, the bodice was too stiff (it looked like an orthopedic cast), the lace motif a tad overthought, the skirt had accents of victorian strictness, even those pleats looked too severe. Instead, there was a softness in Caroline's dress that is very appealing. Loved the lace, especially at the back of the bodice, loved the not-so-strict train.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Courtier

I am so impressed with the lace on Catherine's wedding dress. It is so beautiful.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
I am so impressed with the lace on Catherine's wedding dress. It is so beautiful.
Agogo, the lace on Kate's wedding dress was of very good quality and was stiched on tulle by top-notch seamstresses, there's is no doubt, we can really see the quality of the handcraft. What I meant to say is that the overall pattern that Sarah Burton created, the end result of cutting the original lace from different patterns and stiching them together to create something new was not the best visually, in my opinion.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding