The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Rennie View Post
Well, I didn't think it looked like Grace Kelly at all! Grace's dress was high-necked and tight-buttoned and not see-through lace.
Actually, Grace's lace overlay was see-through (see Mad for Monaco: THE Wedding of Monaco
and linked pictures in my previous post). I think because Grace's skin was so translucent and white, it's hard to tell from most of the black and white pictures of the wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Rennie View Post
Oh, and yes, MAJOR MISTAKE on the BBC's part not to show her father lifting the veil. I saw a still photo of the moment and though I hate the symbolism (bride as chattel, being "given") it looked very sweet. Did Earl Spencer do that for Diana? I can't remember...
Diana still had her blusher (the part of the veil that covers the face) during her vows. I think the blusher was cut away, off-camera, during the signing of the registry.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate2
more hq pictures. some are new i think
http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-e..._ceremony.html
These pictures are stunning.... I've never seen some of these angles, especially the ones of her curtesy ......

Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Catherine's dress and veil suited her perfectly. I hope she does not get stylists that try to change her personal style. I know that she will need help for her public life, but she should remain herself.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Commoner

This link allows you to mouse over the photos to see the detailing on the gown very clearly:

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton's Dress - TIME
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
These pictures are stunning.... I've never seen some of these angles, especially the ones of her curtesy ......
All I can say is WOW!! This has got to be the best collection of photos I've seen yet from the Abbey. You can really see the intricate detail of Kate's lace, the glances between the couple and just about every nuance we could have easily missed. That one photo of Kate's father lifting her veil is totally awesome! Again.... WOW!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Diana still had her blusher (the part of the veil that covers the face) during her vows. I think the blusher was cut away, off-camera, during the signing of the registry.
Yes, the Emmanuels had to very carefully cut the blusher off. Diana wore her blusher under her tiara so it couldn't just be flipped back or removed.

Some of the coverage (at least the American ones) showed a glimpse of Michael Middleton helping push back Kate's veil, she kind of knelt down so he could get it easily. And he managed to do it perfectly, the veil was smooth, not bunched up- a wedding pet peeve of mine!

Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved the fact that her veil just flowed over her head like that. It looked very Gothic and medieval.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Ah, medieval indeed...
Old 04-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I noticed and really liked is that if you look at both gowns that she wore, the bodices with the tiny waist do kind of give the illusion of a heart.
Hence the term, "sweetheart neckline"?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I can say is WOW!! This has got to be the best collection of photos I've seen yet from the Abbey. You can really see the intricate detail of Kate's lace, the glances between the couple and just about every nuance we could have easily missed. That one photo of Kate's father lifting her veil is totally awesome! Again.... WOW!
My favorite thing about the dress is the precise pleating to create the structure of the structure. Reminds me of the attention to form that Givenchy couture was known for. Alexander McQueen headed the House of Givenchy for 5 years because creating his own label. Hubert de Givenchy was best known for his designs for Audrey Hepburn and also favored by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Princess Grace. He approved of the gown, too. Kate Middleton wows crowd in McQueen dress | Reuters
Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I think Kate looked almost sad compared to glowing Victoria last summer. Maybe she should've gotten the small wedding she wished for. I wish she would've chosen an updo to frame her face. Now she looked flat-headed. I also wish she would've chosen a professional make up artist. She could've done without the sad panda eyes.
I agree that she looked sad...and almost bored throughout the ceremony.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Courtier

This dress was timeless, it is just what I hoped she would do, loved the lace sleeves. During the wedding I could not see all the lace and detail of the bottom of the dress( must likely because I had not slept in 20 hours, lol) but after looking at the pictures the work and detail of the dress was breath taking.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Yes! saving all the pictures!
This selections of photo was marvelous done (except for William' bald spot :P)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't see why Kate needs a stylist; every time I have seen her, she has been attractively and more important, appropriately dressed.

It's been said that she is careful not to wear too many designer outfits; I actually think this is a good thing, since it allows more people to relate to her.

I hope that, even if she does use a stylist, she continues to choose clothing that appeals to her personal sense of style. (Sometimes It's a mistake to try to be too trendy).
agreed. she has her own style and always make fabulous fashion choices. I read somewhere that she even did her wedding day makeup herself. how cool is that

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
This dress was timeless, it is just what I hoped she would do, loved the lace sleeves. During the wedding I could not see all the lace and detail of the bottom of the dress( must likely because I had not slept in 20 hours, lol) but after looking at the pictures the work and detail of the dress was breath taking.
What amazed me was not so much the timelessness of the dress nor the fashioning of it nor the material but the thought that went into the dress to make so uniquely one of a kind. The detail of the lace, the tradition of something blue sewn into it somewhere (I imagine we'll never know exactly where) and that a piece of Diana's lace was sewn into the bodice (?) of the gown. None of these details were focused on though but just really added to the overall unique meanings to Kate of her wedding dress.

I am *still* recovering from being up so many hours in a row. Oh to be a spring chicken again!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Serene Highness

Royal wedding: How the lace of the dress was crafted
BBC News - Royal wedding: How the lace of the dress was crafted

Superb job. The patience to do this kind of work is impressive
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I loved the fact that her veil just flowed over her head like that. It looked very Gothic and medieval.
I so agree. I thought there were Tudor, Gothic, medieval and art nouveau details (at least) - brilliant.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:39 AM

I think both dresses were very beautiful...we have to remember she is a princess and can't wear anything too over the top, usual Alexander McQueen clothes. She has to remain elegant at all times.

That's just my opinion!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
My favorite thing about the dress is the precise pleating to create the structure of the structure. Reminds me of the attention to form that Givenchy couture was known for. Alexander McQueen headed the House of Givenchy for 5 years because creating his own label. Hubert de Givenchy was best known for his designs for Audrey Hepburn and also favored by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Princess Grace. He approved of the gown, too. Kate Middleton wows crowd in McQueen dress | Reuters
Me too! I'm still salivating over the pleating of the skirt. I want to see some really great pictures and close-ups of the dress, especially at the waist, so that I can try and figure out how it was done as I'm a self-taught seamstress. I LOVE how the pleating of the skirt falls, creating this illusion of a far slimmer skirt than what is really there. It makes my heart pitter-patter, lol. Everything about this dress and the veil was a grand slam to me.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy

The more I look at this dress the more I love it. I really hope Catherine's gown marks a return to classic 50s style elegance and understatement in bridal fashion. I, for one, would definately welcome that.
On a side note, why is it that so many people are intent on the Duchess becoming more fashion forward and pushing the envelope, when that is clearly not her personal style? Is it because they feel she must do that as a young royal or because they are hoping she will fill the void left by Diana. And if it's the latter is that really fair to HRH?

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding