The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Nobility

Absolutely fabulous!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Courtier

They are two different dresses the wedding dress has lace detailing on the bottom.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Is every gown that has a lace bodice and sleeves supposed to be a copy of Grace Kelly's gown?
Personally, I consider a Grace Kelly-style gown is one with a lace overlay sleeves and illusion neckline AND a nipped waist like Catherine's and flowers into a ballgown. Therefore, I consider Marie-Chantal of Greece (not exactly lace on the bodice but echos of lace), Marie of Denmark (drop waist but definitely ballgown and I think the most similar to Catherine's dress) and Isabella Orsini (of Ligne) are Grace-esque; Claire of Belgium and Anita of Orange-Nassau are not because they have more A-line silhouette.

That said, I think Catherine's was most successful because she has the most similar body type to Grace: tall, slender, hourglass figure with a small waist but without being overly curvy. I liked that Catherine's had (what looks to be) her signature V-neckline, very sexy and modern. Using pleats to give the skirt structure instead of going to a true ballgown made the dress more "accessible"; that silhouette would work well on a number of different body types.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Nobility

Her wedding dress is a work of art and is timeless.
Reminded me of the 50's and Queen Elizabeth's dress.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Commoner

saw an article on the gowns..it is indeed detachable and a bodice top and skirt..the top bodice are the same
So the day gown was really indeed laces attached, skirt detached..and evening, remove all and just slip on a skirt!
Kate sticks to winning formula with evening McQueen creation | UK news | The Guardian

its really a brilliant idea..

A bodice, historically, is an article of clothing for women, covering the body from the neck to the waist. In modern usage it typically refers to a specific type of upper garment common in Europe during the 16th to the 18th century.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1976 View Post
All the hoopla and overwhelming coverage made the dress a let down for me. I expected something beautiful and showstopping. Her dress was pretty. No where close to Princess Grace. Grace's dress is forever show-stopping and the best royal dress of all time.

Kate's will be forgettable IMO. She made a pretty bride and looked pretty but her overall look isn't one I think will flash in memory 20 years from now as a gorgeous bride.

I expected the guests to be more dressed up. I think I had Victoria's wedding from last year on the brain so I expected the guests to be decked out in gowns and looking their royal best and stuff and not hats and suits looking like Easter service.

Everyone looked so normal. I could have sworn I've seen that yellow suit on the queen before. I just expected everyone to look different than just any old day/event because this was a royal wedding. But is that a British thing? Suits for the wedding over gowns and stuff?

All British royal weddings have had morning dress as the dress code. Morning suits/military uniform for gentlemen, suits/day dresses and hats for ladies. That's the way they do things, and it's silly to expect them to copy what other royal families choose to do for their weddings.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also, I really liked the way Catherine's veil was placed, with it falling over her head like that. I thought it was very ethereal.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyYun View Post
saw an article on the gowns..it is indeed detachable and a bodice top and skirt..the top bodice are the same
So the day gown was really indeed laces attached, skirt detached..and evening, remove all and just slip on a skirt!
Kate sticks to winning formula with evening McQueen creation | UK news | The Guardian

its really a brilliant idea..

A bodice, historically, is an article of clothing for women, covering the body from the neck to the waist. In modern usage it typically refers to a specific type of upper garment common in Europe during the 16th to the 18th century.
It says right in that article that it's a second dress. It just mirror's the style of the ceremony dress. I still don't know if the evening dress is two pieces though.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Commoner

another article on the skirt Kate's Dress: Designers re-create the look for commoners - NorthJersey.com
apparently Skirt: The fact that Sarah Burton used a circle skirt that was a nod to tradition and a Victorian look that dates back to Queen Victoria.

im off to bed now! have fun everyone!
nice chatting!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Serene Highness

love this one!
It looks like she left the Abbey as a Queen
http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/imag...ess-17-383.jpg
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

IMHO, a meew dress is what I have saw before in some other Royal Weddings. A big train does not make for a beautiful dress! Bleh it is roles and roles of the same fabric!
Give me lace and embroilment over that any time of the week!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

Loved the wedding dress. The train was just right.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Commoner

Commenting on the hand sewing of the lace on Catherine's weddding dress - my own wedding dress had a lace bodice and I remember being told at the time that the lace is always oversewn on bridal gowns so that the design of the lace stands out
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

The lace on the bottom of the skirt of her gown was done according to an old Irish technique dating to 1820. It's very precise, and very strict. They had to wash their hands every 30 minutes and change needles to make sure they were always clean and sharp.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Personally, I consider a Grace Kelly-style gown is one with a lace overlay sleeves and illusion neckline AND a nipped waist like Catherine's and flowers into a ballgown. Therefore, I consider Marie-Chantal of Greece (not exactly lace on the bodice but echos of lace), Marie of Denmark (drop waist but definitely ballgown and I think the most similar to Catherine's dress) and Isabella Orsini (of Ligne) are Grace-esque; Claire of Belgium and Anita of Orange-Nassau are not because they have more A-line silhouette.

That said, I think Catherine's was most successful because she has the most similar body type to Grace: tall, slender, hourglass figure with a small waist but without being overly curvy. I liked that Catherine's had (what looks to be) her signature V-neckline, very sexy and modern. Using pleats to give the skirt structure instead of going to a true ballgown made the dress more "accessible"; that silhouette would work well on a number of different body types.
I think KM succeeded where Marie-Chantal Miller failed because she did not overdo it.

MC's gown had too much of everything and you ended up noticing nothing...except the fact that it overwhelmed the tiny bride. It had exquisite detailing and perfect craftmanship but all I saw was "Look people...I might be a commoner but my Daddy is RICH RICH RICH and this dress costs a fortune and I am marrying a Prince...yessiree!!"

With KM you noticed the craftmanship, but make no mistake..KATE was wearing that dress, it sure as hell wasn't wearing her. Her tiny waistline alone caused so much comment, and her carriage and posture only accentuated the design...lovely!

Sometimes, less really is more.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

I liked the idea behind her wedding dress but felt it needed a much longer train but that was her prerogative!

I loved the evening gown she looked stunningly beautiful!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

Looking back at Catherine's history style-wise, I'd suspected she'd select something very much like Grace Kelly's iconic dress--and so she did. It also reminded me somewhat of the dress Julie Andrews wore for the marriage ceremony in "The Sound of Music." Interestingly, the friend I was watching with thought the dress exquisite, the bride lovely: The only area we disagreed on was the neckline. I liked it; she thought it accentuated Kate's weight loss and thus should have been closer to the neck.

As for the second gown, I swore it would be by Issa--but was wrong. Again. I liked it very much. Hope to see it sans angora sweater at some point. I did like the juxtaposition of the elegant gown and diamante with the ivory shrug. Reminded me of Sharon Stone's Academy Awards appearance pairing a gorgeous full skirt with a sweater set. Stunning, different...just like Kate today.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Gentry

The dress was charming and suited Kate very well, however I feel an opportunity to influence rather than follow fashion was missed here. I feel Kate played everything very 'safe' and IMHO was sending a clear message that she won't court controversy or even push the boundaries a little.

The dress will always be compared to Grace Kelly's dress - for posterity - which is a shame. I feel too much already 'tried and tested' was followed here, and too much played down and made low key. It was a dress that would have looked lovely in Bucklebury Parish Church but the wedding wasn't being held there, it was at Westminster Abbey and she was marrying the future King of England.

To put that in context, I think of the hundreds of soldiers, policemen, news correspondents, members of the public etc who travelled the breadth of Britain and from overseas to be there - and the logistics of putting on a Royal Wedding in one of the world's busiest and biggest capital cities.

I hope as time goes on she finds the courage to express herself more uniquely and individually and embraces the opportunity to explore her own style with the cream of British design at her fingertips.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Serene Highness

You make some excellent points, Island Princess! If this dress goes down in history as an updated version of Grace Kelly's, well, an opportunity has been missed. On a related note, I read today somewhere she either has been told or has the opportunity or made the decision to begin utilizing fashion stylists. In other words, up till now, Kate's been making all the decisions about her attire. P Diana had the help of Vogue's editors and staffers and several designers from the announcement of her engagement on. I wonder why Kate did not get the same assistance......And if she will utilize a stylist in the future.

PS Carole Middleton's Catherine Walker outfit was a lovely homage to P Diana. I was saddened to hear Catherine had died last year.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Gentry

Carole Middleton looked like the perfect textbook Mother of the Bride and I was really touched to hear it was Catherine Walker - I wonder if Diana might have worn something similar if she had still been here?
Great news about the stylist/s - let's hope that they will push Kate a little wee way out of her comfort zone and get her making the most of her figure, youth and position.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding