The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Genevieve@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 10:03 pm
But with Victoria in the pictures I see of her I can see her youthful energy, but alas it is all hiding beneath those black/brown/beige/grey/white boring boxy suits. Sometimes I see her in those suits with a colourful or printed shirt underneath the jacket and I think, Yes! There is hope for some youthful style to her yet. But then the next time I see pictures of her she is plain and boring again.
Yes. I´ve noticed that as well. She wears these nice suits which I love but there´s often something just out of the ordinary or colorful. Like that blouse she wore underneath the blazer in Paris back in December. If you saw that whole blouse, you would think "Wow, what a neat looking blouse." So I think she does that to be unique or just do something fun while on the whole, she is relatively plain and boring as you say even though I kind of like her style.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria and the "midsommar-carryover-alcohol" in her body
Victoria went out with some friends (at the stureplan-btw) and when she spotted the photographer she put a napkin on her head *shakinglaughingthehead*

The picture

Påskkärring? Nä, det är ju Victoria

Här spexar kronprinsessan med Aftonbladets fotograf

Tillsammans med en väninna och en servett skojade kronprinsessan Victoria ordentligt - med Aftonbladets fotograf.
- Jag blev så paff, säger P-O Sännås.
Efter en intensiv vår och försommar har Victoria fått semester.
Hon firade midsommar med pojkvännen Daniel Westling och hans föräldrar i Ockelbo.
I går kväll var hon tillbaka i Stockholm och på programmet stod en middag med närmsta väninnorna.
Gänget valde att käka på en av Victorias absoluta favoritkrogar i stan, restaurang Lydmar.

De tjöt av skratt
När hon under middagen fick syn på Aftonbladets fotograf glimtade det till i hennes ögon.
Kronprinsessan viskade skämtsamt något i sin väninna Josephine Genetays öra.
Sekunderna senare satte tjejerna sin plan i verket.
- Plötsligt hade Victoria en servett på huvudet. Hon såg ut som en riktig påskkärring, berättar P-O Sännås som tog en bild.
Väninnorna tjöt av skratt när de såg den paffe fotografens reaktion.
Victorias långledighet fortsätter.

Hemlig semester
Om en vecka åker hon till Öland där hon tillsammans med kungafamiljen och Daniel Westling ska sola, bada och spela golf.
Sedan väntar även en hemlig kärlekssemester med pojkvännen.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Attention all dreamers - this is what the end of the article says (it enlights some hope for us dreamers, doesn't it... :P):

Quote:
Hemlig semester
Om en vecka åker hon till Öland där hon tillsammans med kungafamiljen och Daniel Westling ska sola, bada och spela golf. Sedan väntar även en hemlig kärlekssemester med pojkvännen.
Translation:

In one week she goes to Öland where she together with the Royal House and Daniel Westling will sunbathe (?), swim/bathe and play golf. After that awaits a secret love vacation with the boyfriend.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Mrs. Victoria Westling...I´ve never thought about this...but actually it´s clear, probably she and their children would then have this name. Or do you think she will keep the name "Bernadotte" or a compund name "Westling-Bernadotte"??...well, actually it doesn´t matter, she´s known as H.K.H. kronprinsessan Victoria and she only signs with her first name...and further the Bernadotte-dynasty (the name "Bernadotte") isn´t that "dignified", that it has to be kept...Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a commoner himself and "only" adopted to the swedish throne...so IMO it´s just a name...and "Victoria Westling" sounds nice :woot:
Old 06-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Lena  Posted: Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:11 pm

Mrs. Victoria Westling...I´ve never thought about this...but actually it´s clear, probably she and their children would then have this name.
Its pretty clear, Lena, that you live on the next planet !!

If both Prince Philip of Great Britain and Prince Henrik of Denmark were "forced" to surrender their surnames - as a voluntary means of emasculating themselves - and by parliamentary law ... decree sounds better .... assume the surname of their (at that time prospective) spouse, why should Daniel 2 be any different ?????

And compared to Henrik, Daniel would have it easy .... doesn't have his French citizenship stripped off of him, nor compelled to give up the Catholic religion for the uniquely Danish Lutheran religion !!!

Mind you, I suppose Daniel hasn't really twigged to that yet .... defender of the faith and all that !!!?

As an aside with Henrik, its pretty clear that you can "take the Frenchman out of France, but you can't take France out of the Frenchman". :) :)

Quote:
Or do you think she will keep the name "Bernadotte"
... now you are coming to your senses.

However, in deference to the recently deceased Prince Claus of the Netherlands, isn't it Dutch custom that the wives or the off-spring of the families younger than the crown prince have the surname "von Amsberg"? So, by a similar token we could possible see Westling
Quote:
or a compund name "Westling-Bernadotte"
for the royal off-spring who are no longer eligible to sit on the throne, per say ??

Quote:
and further ... Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a commoner himself and "only" adopted to the swedish throne
wasn't it more the case that Napoleon stuck him on the throne ? .... how come this sordid detail of defeat and a predecessor who had no heirs is conveniently swept under the carpet?

Quote:
and "Victoria Westling" sounds nice
hmmm ........... :flower:
Old 06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Living on the next planet....this was mean

Victoria is the FIRST heir in Sweden, who will inherit the throne, because she´s the first born...so she´s something like a precedence. And neither you nor me, know which family name they will choose, if only their children are called Westling (which wouldn´t surprise me, since the dutch princes have the family name of their father in their names included), and which titles Daniel will/would get!!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 30th, 2004 - 11:32 pm

Quote:
and further ... Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a commoner himself and "only" adopted to the swedish throne
wasn't it more the case that Napoleon stuck him on the throne ? .... how come this sordid detail of defeat and a predecessor who had no heirs is conveniently swept under the carpet?
Wouldn´t agree here...Napoleon gave his permission...AND was probably quite happy to get rid of marshal Bernadotte, who was rumoured to sympathise with the revolutionary democrats..and maybe he hoped to get some nordic "support" through Jean Baptiste...which didn´t work in the end.
On the whole it was a "legal" action...the parliament voted for Jean Baptiste 1810 in Örebro...and so he got adopted to the swedish throne.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Lena  Posted: Jun 30th, 2004 - 4:03 pm
Quote:
(King Christian @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 11:32 pm)
Quote:
Wouldn´t agree here...Napoleon gave his permission...AND was probably quite happy to get rid of marshal Bernadotte, who was rumoured to sympathise with the revolutionary democrats..and maybe he hoped to get some nordic "support" through Jean Baptiste...which didn´t work in the end.
On the whole it was a "legal" action...the parliament voted for Jean Baptiste 1810 in Örebro...and so he got adopted to the swedish throne.
I didn't know about the democratic leaning .... however, if Napolean gave his permission, that means that power was on Napoleon's side, and hence Sweden was in the inferior position -- which to my way of thinking means akin to a "surrendered situation".

Writing laws ... now that can change as time passes. And does. Witness in Canada the slow change of the attitude to marijuana ..... laws are being changed to liberalize a situation that the police and the courts don't have time for and the public couldn't care about. Words aren't "etched in stone", are they then? But a surrender is a surrender which ever way one looks at it ..... true, it was humiliating for the Swedes .... as it was for most of the countries of Europe. On the plus side, it was -- Napoleon's conquest of Europe -- and the subsequent Treaty (Congress?) of Vienna, two defining moments that lurched society as we know it today from something of a feudal setup to something more democratic ....
Old 07-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Majesty

The Swedes indeed were in a bit of a bind but it should be noted that it was on the initiative of Baron Karl Otto Mörner on his own to turn to Bernadotte to be a regent. Apparently, from what I read, Napoleon thought it was a joke. But that is true. Bernadotte, in order to gain support from Swedish politician played up his connections with Napoleon despite them not being on the best of terms at that time. And Charles XIV was ironically, the leader in charge of a brigade in Denmark that was going to invade Sweden itself! That would have been a turn of events for sure.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Royal Highness

I think I might be slightly confused now .... on which side was "Charles XIV" ?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 1st, 2004 - 5:46 pm
I think I might be slightly confused now .... on which side was "Charles XIV" ?
Karl XIV Johan Bernadotte formerly known as Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was AFTER his adoption against Napoleon and became part of the coalition against him. Jean/Karl had his conflicts with Napoleon before, but then he wasn´t offensive and obvious against Napoleon.

And to call him "Charles"...Dennis that out of your mouth, I´m disappointed...Charles´that are english farmer princes in the waiting loop...or other (long dead) anglican british princes, but the swedish kings and princes were always called Karl/Carl. You are as bad as HOLA and it´s "Magdalenas" or "Isabellas"...this is, as if I would call crown princess Victoria "Victorine" or "Vittoria" *shakinghead* :P :P :P *justkidding* :flower:
Old 07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Majesty

Yes. Well, the history books say that as well as Karl Johan. I will note the time of the post as well! Lay off! :P Anyway, it should be noted that the first few Carls or Karls as it were are lost in history. The first Karl on record was (Karl Sverkersson or Karl VII.) who was monarch from 1160-1167.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The swedish magazine AMELIA has an interview in the next edition (coming out on Wednesday) with Victoria...there she talks about Daniel (sensation1), about her eating disorders and her dyslexia, about her not existing interest in clothes, make up and hairdos (sensation2) and about the comment of her dad, that women aren´t good as successors (sensation3).
Expressen wrote a "summary"...maybe a Swede can buy AMELIA on Wednesday and can scan it (->the article) and publish it here?? (this would be sooooooo "fin" :flower: )

Picture

”Jag är glad att han är sportig”

Höga krav, träning och för lite mat.
Det var några av orsakerna som gav kronprinsessan Victoria anorexi.
I en exklusiv intervju i tidningen Amelia berättar hon om sjukdomen, handikappet och behovet av att träna.
– Jag är glad att han är sportig, säger Victoria om pojkvännen Daniel Westling.

Kronprinsessan Victoria började banta när hon studerade i Frankrike. När hon kom hem till Sverige var det med påtagligt smalare kropp. Under sommaren fortsatte viktraset och snart kom de första bilderna på en utmärglad och skelettmager kronprinsessa. Hösten 1997 bekräftade hovet att Victoria drabbats av anorexi.
I en öppenhjärtig intervju i tidningen Amelia som kommer på onsdag berättar kronprinsessan om sjukdomen och hur det känns att se anorexibilderna på sig själv i tidningarna i dag.

Vill slippa bilderna
– Hur ska jag kunna undvika dem, de slås ju alltid upp. Men jag klarar det, fast jag skulle helst vilja slippa, säger hon.
I dag äter hon utan att peta eller flytta runt maten på tallriken och hon säger att hon mår bra. Men att äta frukosten ensam i flygeln på Drottningholm är viktigt.
– Jag bryr mig om Emma Igelström och andra som drabbas för jag vet vad de går igenom.
Hon beskriver anorexin som en stor inre konflikt.
– Sjukdomen beror på personliga orsaker men jag är glad att problemen kom så pass tidigt, jag fick min körare då, säger Victoria.
På frågan om hon går i terapi ger Victoria inget rakt svar.
– Det finns människor i min närhet som jag har stort förtroende för och som jag kan tala med. Det är viktigt att det finns personer som tar sig tid och lyssnar, sen behöver de inte vara experter.
Att motionera och hålla sig i form är fortfarande viktigt. Victoria är noga med att det alltid finns tid för ett träningspass när hon lägger upp agendan tillsammans med mentorn Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.
– Jag har lärt mig att hitta ett lugn, att jag kan stanna upp, säger Victoria.

Har följt prinsessan
Amelias chefredaktör Amelia Adamo har under två dagar följt kronprinsessan Victoria genom representationsmiddagar och konferenser i Strasbourg.
Kronprinsessan är van att ha journalister i släptåg. Varje steg hon tar bevakas. Kläderna, makeupen, frisyren – allt värderas och bedöms av pressen.
Men medan prinsessan Madeleine hamnar på listor över Sveriges bäst klädda väljer Victoria praktiska kläder och diskret makeup.
– Tyvärr har jag inget naturligt klädintresse. Det skulle underlätta. Själv tycker jag att det är för mycket fokus på kläder, min syster försöker hjälpa mig, men kläder är inget jag prioriterar, säger Victoria.
Armbandsklockan är däremot viktig. På dagen en i dykarmodell och på kvällen något elegantare.
– Då blir mamma glad, säger Victoria.

Långledig
Just nu njuter hon av en ovanligt lång ledighet. Från midsommar till födelsedagsfirandet på
Öland den 14 juli är agendan rensad från officiella uppdrag.
Under midsommar åkte kungaparet till exklusiva S:t Tropez. Victoria firade i pojkvännen Daniel Westlings enkla föräldrahem i Ockelbo. Hon handlade på Konsum och fikade på enkla plaststolar på Högbo golfklubb.
– Jag är inte så intresserad av att köpa dyra saker, säger Victoria.
Relationen med gymägaren Daniel Westling har ifrågasatts. Det har talats om kärlekskris och att Daniel inte accepterats av kungen.
Victoria är fåordig när hon kommenterar pojkvännen.
– Det är väl en evig tur att någon vågar sig på att ha en relation med mig. Det är inte lätt, säger hon i Amelia.

Nära sin far
Victoria har alltid stått nära sin pappa kungen. En dag ska hon ta över kronan trots att kungen i kommentarer markerat att han föredragit manlig tronföljd.
– Jag tog det inte personligt. Min far sa det när det fortfarande var manlig tronföljd, det är alltid svårt att se in i framtiden, säger Victoria.
Alla tre kungabarnen lider av dyslexi och har problem att läsa och skriva. Prins Carl Philip har fått hjälp utomlands och Victoria har lärt sig olika inlärningstekniker. Men att läsa är fortfarande ett jobbigt hinder i arbetet.
– Jag lämnar inte en text ifrån mig utan att någon har gått igenom den, säger hon.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Jul 1st, 2004 - 7:37 am
The Swedes indeed were in a bit of a bind but it should be noted that it was on the initiative of Baron Karl Otto Mörner on his own to turn to Bernadotte to be a regent.

Is this Otto Mörner an ancestor of Victoria´s friend Sophie Mörner?
And is Ivar Kreuger (who became quite rich through producing matches) an ancestor of Victoria´s (very rich) friend Caroline Kreuger?
Ok, not the easiest questions, but maybe ppl, who are familiar with Sweden´s high and noble society, know it (?)

Quote:

– Tyvärr har jag inget naturligt klädintresse. Det skulle underlätta. Själv tycker jag att det är för mycket fokus på kläder, min syster försöker hjälpa mig, men kläder är inget jag prioriterar, säger Victoria...– Jag är inte så intresserad av att köpa dyra saker, säger Victoria.
-Unfortunately I don´t have an natural interest in clothes. This would make it easier. Personally I think that there´s too much focus on clothes, my sister tries to help me, but dresses/clothes aren´t something that I prefer...I´m not interested in buying expensive things, Victoria says.

Here I´m really torn or "conflicted" as Dennis would say

My first thought: Oh (again) amazing, how likeable she is! I would really enjoy it to meet her as "fellow student"...maybe we would buy 2 coffees at Starbucks, would walk through the park, would sit down on the green grass and would talk about "god and the world".

My second thought: Do I want an "ordinary princess"? Do the people want an ordinary princess?? Yes, I know we are always teached to be tolerant and to avoid to think in stereotypes. But isn´t it though the way that we all have "inner drawers", in which we class new impressions. And that this "drawers" are quite similar?
We know, how soccer players have to be...we know, how politicians have to be... we know, how princesses have to be.
Yes, we accept changes...but mostly only slowly and always for the better. Good current example: The greek team won the EURO yesterday, and now they are celebrated all over the world. The BEFORE underdogs won and now they are on the same step like the all time favorites (France, England, Germany...). Or Ronald Reagon was an actor BEFORE, but when he became president he behaved like the presidents before or after him. I was a tiny little thing in the 80ties and didn´t know he was an actor before, for me he just was a president.
Or the famous Cinderella-stories...aka the Mette Marit-story It´s only clear that Cinderellas have to live simple before, have to dress themselves in rags (-> the H&M-pullover ), but AFTER they became princesses, they should behave like princesses. And that´s it what MM has done...she has softened her look, she wears princessy dresses (now more conservative than her Royal born sister-in-law), and she gave birth to a princessy baby princess.
And that there´s now a swedish born princess, who says that she isn´t interested in a princessy style...hmm, it´s strange.
Ok, maybe I´m seeing this too pessimistic...so far Victoria mostly has managed it to appear lovely and regal at big Royal events...and she says, that she accepts the help of her sister (who is maybe a little bit too interested in expensive things ), and of course she can´t change it, that she´s not interested in style...but I really hope that Victoria and then maybe Daniel Westling will keep some glamour in the Royal house! One day they (Victoria and her hubby...) will be the "main" Royal family in Sweden!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Majesty

"Is this Otto Mörner an ancestor of Victoria´s friend Sophie Mörner?
And is Ivar Kreuger (who became quite rich through producing matches) an ancestor of Victoria´s (very rich) friend Caroline Kreuger?"

Yes and Yes. Sophie´s ancestors have also been landshövdings or governors of various counties including Halland and Stockholm throughout history. Victoria, through her cousins is related to the De Geer family which has been prominent in Swedish business and politics for more than 350 years.

"Or Ronald Reagon was an actor BEFORE, but when he became president he behaved like the presidents before or after him. I was a tiny little thing in the 80ties and didn´t know he was an actor before, for me he just was a president."

Yes, but he was a governor before he was president and being governor of California is a very big job too.

Well, I too am torn by this as it were. Lena, you take the words out of my mouth, as usual. But I think that Victoria will find the right balance. She will be "princessy" when the situation calls for it and more "normal" when the situation calls for it. The sisters are a good balance though. One is more interested in fashion than the other. It´s nice that they help each other out.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Dennisimo for answering my questions...so it seems as if most of Victoria´s friends are pretty wealthy (except the one and only Ockelbo-guy). But I´ve to say when you look at Caroline Kreuger, you would never imagine that she´s thaaaaaaat rich. She seems so ordinary and down to earth-even more "ordinary" than Victoria.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jul 5th, 2004 - 11:04 am
And is Ivar Kreuger (who became quite rich through producing matches) an ancestor of Victoria´s (very rich) friend Caroline Kreuger?
Lena, here is my answer for you:

Two of Crown Princess Victoria’s best friends – Caroline & Charlotte Kreuger – in 2000 -inherited about 300 million Swedish crowns each from their grandfathers Torsten Kreugers estate, which was passed on by their father Björn Kreuger who died of cancer in 1999.

The heirs of Björn was, except his daughters, his brothers Sten Kreuger who lives in Värmdö and John Kreuger who lives in the US. Both brothers have two children each.

When Torsten Kreuger (read more of him further down) died in 1973, his wife Diana inherited the empire. In November 1998 Diana Kreuger died, and since then it has been the job for legal experts to divide the gigantic assets, estimated to about 3 billion Swedish crowns, among the heirs.

The assets of the estate after Torsten Kreuger consisted of many things. An art collection with works from Rembrandt, Goya and Zorn. The most famous property in Torsten Kreugers empire was the “Citypalatset” at Norrmalmstorg in Stockholm. It was sold in the summer of 2000 (before dividing the assets of Björn Kreuger) for 1,1 billion Swedish crowns. Also a villa on Djurgården was sold (the asked price was 70 million Swedish crowns), and the Chateau Malvande at the Geneva Lake in Switzerland where Diana Kreuger spent her last years.

Björn Kreuger (Caroline & Charlotte’s father) was a childhood friend of The King. When he married Agneta Kihlström in 1976, The King & Queen (then engaged) were guests. Since that both families has been very close.

Crown Princess Victoria and Caroline Kreuger were born with only three day separating them. They were close during the school years, and were also presented at the same time at the Amaranter ball in Stockholm. Her sister, Charlotte, has The Queen as one of her godmothers. The King, Queen & the Crown Princess attended Björn’s funeral.

Caroline & Charlotte Kreuger’s grandfather – Torsten Kreuger (brother of IVAR):
Was born in 1884. He built his own business empire, free from his brother Ivar’s match empire. He built his empire on real estate, tree and a company group, which owned Stockholms-Tidningen and Aftonbladet. Torsten died in 1973.

Pictures:

Caroline to the right
Björn, Agneta & Caroline (when he was still alive)
Caroline
Caroline with Victoria on her 25th birhday in Öland
Old 07-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks a bunch for the extra information, GrandDuchess :flower:

300 million SEK...that´s more that one WANTS to have, right?! What do you do with so much money, except fearing that you or your kids are kidnapped!
And as I´ve said before Caroline doesn´t seem to be a "Paris Hilton", so I guess this money is more a bane for her than a boon.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course there always will be ppl, who are richer. But I wouldn´t call Caroline Kreuger "poor" I tend to calculate, how many average one-family houses or chocolate bars you could buy with huge fortunes (for the better imagination )...and Caroline could buy a little village or chocolates for all Swedes for a few days/weeks (depends on, if they eat as much as me)

BTW aren´t there any news on Victoria...now after they have started to report alomost every day about Victoria and Daniel, it feels strange to have a few days without any news.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Its probably because Danial and Victoria are hiding at Solliden... when the royals are there noone knows what they are doing and its almost impossible to get a photo of them.
But we can always hope that Daniel wants to play golf... because if they does, I´m sure the paparazzis will spot them!

Tags
crown princess victoria, current events, stockholm