The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Never mind the socks, what will Princess Beatrix say when she find one of her evening capes missing?!

Old 11-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Roskilde.
Here are more pics of PH's killer-socks.
Prince Henrik dons trendy accessories with his hunting outfit | Royalista

I think his strange camouflage breeches are even more "killing"...

Old 11-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I must confess I didn't notice neither cape nor breeches.
Because I was pussled as to why Joachim had dressed up like Doctor Who. Pictures & Photos of Tom Baker - IMDb
But there is probably an explanation, it is after all also a wellknown secret that Joachim is really the Stig from Top gear.

Thanks Roskilde.

http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/77/626777.jpg
The socks are spreading!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Roskilde.
Here are more pics of PH's killer-socks.
Prince Henrik dons trendy accessories with his hunting outfit | Royalista
The Prince's sock are very festive looking,his sherlock holmes cape is also interesting looking!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Dear Henrik, at least he has every talking about him. I well remember little Prince Christian dressed like a Khaki teletubby on the lawn at one of these events many years ago.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Prince's sock are very festive looking,his sherlock holmes cape is also interesting looking!
maybe its a safety thing: in my home province of Ontario, hunters are required to wear 'blaze orange' clothing, mostly to ensure that they are not shot by other hunters!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Courtier

Just me and I speak for me only, I hate killing any animal and I refuse to eat meat...grrrr. I feel so sorry for those deer, they didn't hurt anybody and they have as much right to live as we do.......huge grrrrrrr! Now this is me and I am just saying I hate hunting and I don't care who it feeds or if there is an over population (and there is an over population of the human race..). Anybody mad...don't be...it's just my opinion! sorry mods if this got off topic, I just didn't expect to see dead deer, last time I view hunts!for the deer!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:01 AM
Courtier

This hunt is a very important annual event of culling native deer. The sport is very regulated as to what they can and can't shoot. Only so many males and females. The trouble is that with forests being so small in Europe animals have to be culled so that Everyone can live in peace. Otherwise you are going to have a huge population of deer with many looking further afield for food like wandering into towns etc. And with animals in towns that causes another set of problems. It is not a pretty sight but an understandable one. In my country we have a big problem with wild dogs, wild cats and wild pigs etc etc. I hope this explanation helps you a little.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are some more pics:

** b.dk: Se billederne: Prinserne på kongejagt **

** dr.dk: BILLEDER Regentparret afholder succesfuld Kongejagt **

** bt.dk: Se billederne: Prins Henrik i hopla i spidsen for årets Kongejagt **

** jv.dk: Se billeder: Prins Henrik og Prins Joachim ankommer til Kongejagt **
Old 11-28-2014, 04:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
This hunt is a very important annual event of culling native deer. The sport is very regulated as to what they can and can't shoot. Only so many males and females. The trouble is that with forests being so small in Europe animals have to be culled so that Everyone can live in peace. Otherwise you are going to have a huge population of deer with many looking further afield for food like wandering into towns etc. And with animals in towns that causes another set of problems. It is not a pretty sight but an understandable one. In my country we have a big problem with wild dogs, wild cats and wild pigs etc etc. I hope this explanation helps you a little.
Thank you explaining and I do understand. It is just me and me only, I think we humans with the brains(some of us, not all) should find other ways to deal with these type of things, and yet we can't even live in peace together so why think humans are smarter then the 4 legged animals of this earth. I don't like cruelty to animals and children, really huge pet peeves of mine and sometimes I can really get angry at these type of things. Not viewing anymore pictures of dead animals, and the poor giraffe that really infuriated me that someone could be so cruel to a beautiful wonderful animal. I still to this day get angry over that...grrrrr
Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think hunt is always ok if it is regulated by law, serves a purpose (eg population, environmenal protection etc) and the meat is being used (eaten by the hunters, distributed to restaurants). All of this seems to be the case.

There is no comparison eg to hunting endangered species for the fun of it, that is despicable.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
Just me and I speak for me only, I hate killing any animal and I refuse to eat meat...grrrr. I feel so sorry for those deer, they didn't hurt anybody and they have as much right to live as we do.......huge grrrrrrr! Now this is me and I am just saying I hate hunting and I don't care who it feeds or if there is an over population (and there is an over population of the human race..). And I can think of some over population of people(thugs) in this county (Ferguson) that need to be gone..nice way of saying something should be done to them like what was done to those deer. Anybody mad...don't be...it's just my opinion! sorry mods if this got off topic, I just didn't expect to see dead deer, last time I view hunts!for the deer!
No one is mad at you.

Tarlita is right it is a necessity.
Except for the car and a few wolves (who makes absolutely no difference) there are no predators large enough to take deers here in DK.
But the deers breed happily and if the number wasn't kept down, the deer population would increase with 200.000-300.000 a year. - Yes, we have a lot deers here in DK! After all some 25 % of DK is now forest, woods or woodland not to mention the moors.
So to keep that number down, more than a 100.000 are shot each year - and still the deers spread.
That's actually a huge success, because around 1900 deers were rare, now they are everywhere.
So if thier numbers weren't culled, nature would eventually deal with the surplus population. Come winter mass starvation will set in, followed by desease in the spring. And nature is meciless, it's the weak, the old and the kids who will go first. In desperation the deers will seek towards towns and cities (they are common enough in suburbs as it is), there cars, trains, dogbites, stairs and stress will claim even more deers.

So the alternative is either mass starvation every few years or a reasonably carefree life in the nature minding their own business until one day - bang!

The number of hunters are going up here in DK. Hunters in general have a good reputation and practically anyone know someone who hunt. They are not monsters or bloodthirsty. Tv-programmes about hunting are popular and shown on primetime TV.
Hunters routinely visit kindergartens bringin with them animals they have shot, so that the children can touch the animal, learn about the animal and sometimes see it being dissected.
I've never hunted myself except wild dogs in Croatia, and I have no intention of doing so, because it's not necessary. But if the population wasn't kept down we would litterally have deers knocking on our door - and our dog would go crazy and probably attack. When we first moved in her we had to reinforce the fence in the backyard to keep deers out, until then we were regularly woken at dawn because our dog was barking his head off because there was a deer in the backyard.

It's very much a cultural thing I guess.
WARNING: Pics of dissected animals coming up.
Here is an article about a hunter visiting a kindergarten, bringing with him some ducks he had shot. The children examined the birds, watch them being cut up and finally they were eaten.
Ungerne i Børnhusets Hobitten parterede gråænder - Lokalavisen Aarhus

Another gallery, here with a wolf being dissected in front of children at the local naturalhistory museum and as you can tell the children are put off by the smell, but they are not horrified, they are curious and fascinated.
There are no longterm traumas. My own children have seen a lion and a whale being dissected and a cow being eaten by lions and they are fine:
Lokalavisen Aarhus: Blodet flød, da ulven kom til Naturhistorisk Museum
Old 11-28-2014, 04:47 AM
Courtier

I wasn't comparing anything at all, so I am sorry you feel that way, as I said, it is just me, me only that does not like hunting of animals of any kind. I am a huge animal lover, I rescue animals and care for them, I go out of my way when I see one that needs help, I would never in a million years compare the two at all. I have even sent money to organizations to help protect animals in need, so please don't read something that isn't there in my comment. All my pets have been rescued and they are well loved and care for. I just wish the human race was kinder to them that is all.

Go view the area that says *about me* and there you will see my Princess whom I lost Jan 29, 2013 after having her for 16 1/2 years, and when I got her(4 mths) she was so horribly abused by a man that her left front leg had to come off, she was my heart and soul, so don't ever think I don't like animals or compare them...

My last comment was meant for DOM, not you Muhler, you came in as I was typing and this does happen sometimes. Not going to view murder of any animals in this world ever again as it makes me upset..like now.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:53 AM
Courtier

To tell the truth I am sick to death of wildlife shows showing lions killing prey. It is a real turn off for me. After so many years of watching this sort of thing I really hate it even tho it is nature and the natural order of things. Life and death in nature is something we all have to live with. Maybe it is because there is so much violence on TV these days that puts me off killing as well.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:13 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
My last comment was meant for DOM, not you Muhler, you came in as I was typing and this does happen sometimes. Not going to view murder of any animals in this world ever again as it makes me upset..like now.
I didnt direct my comparison comment at you, sorry if you read it that way, I just wanted to point out that not all hunting is the same.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To tell the truth I am sick to death of wildlife shows showing lions killing prey. It is a real turn off for me. After so many years of watching this sort of thing I really hate it even tho it is nature and the natural order of things. Life and death in nature is something we all have to live with. Maybe it is because there is so much violence on TV these days that puts me off killing as well.
Yeah, you've got that one right. As one point I felt I was on first name basis with all the lions in Kenya, judging from the coverage of the wildlife shows.
But it annoys me that these shows focus so much on lions, crocodiles ripping zebras apart with plenty of blood and gore. But if Bambi is being shot, because Bambi would otherwise starve to death, uproar!
At the same time cow #EL484834846 is being eaten at McBurb by the very same people who have signed petitions for saving Bambi.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Courtier

The strange thing is - is that Hunters are conservationists, including recreational fishermen. They definitely do not want to kill every last one. Each kill is a prize. Something they have stalked and tried to outwit. Recreational fisherman want a few fish to take home to eat. Not scoop up every last species in a net then throw away as by-catch. Hunters and fishermen are the first ones to notice if the environment is affected in a detrimental way to animals. We all want our species to survive so we can enjoy its magnificence.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I didnt direct my comparison comment at you, sorry if you read it that way, I just wanted to point out that not all hunting is the same.
My apologizes DOM for thinking that you did, I am so sorry. I over reacted to seeing those animals....I didn't realize that they would show the deer, and now I understand about *culling* as that is something I never heard of before. This just another example where Europe is so more mature then America.....for it is a way of life there and here I don't come in contact with that way of life. Besides I am a big softie when it comes to animals.

Quote:
I do not watch those shows, and I do understand that is what nature does. I think there is so much violence on TV today that I don't even watch the news much anymore, just the weather and I got that timed down pat. And with what is going on now here, I am sick to death of killing, violence and crime and greed. So I am learning to stay in the world I create without all the crap of the world...Again Thank You
Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I wasn't comparing anything at all, so I am sorry you feel that way, as I said, it is just me, me only that does not like hunting of animals of any kind. I am a huge animal lover, I rescue animals and care for them, I go out of my way when I see one that needs help, I would never in a million years compare the two at all...
Don't foolish yourself. If you rescue a dog, you kill a cow or a chicken to make dog food for your rescued dog.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
maybe its a safety thing: in my home province of Ontario, hunters are required to wear 'blaze orange' clothing, mostly to ensure that they are not shot by other hunters!
Perhaps. There is no danger of anyone shooting PH in the foot! - Well, perhaps by himself but that's about it.

Tags
royal hunt at fredensborg