The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How come Nikolai and Felix don't go on the hunts too? I guess Joachim prefers agriculture to hunting?

How come Nikolai and Felix don't go on the hunts too? I guess Joachim prefers agriculture to hunting?

The two aren't mutually exclusive - Joachim hosted a hunt in Gråsten Statsskovdistrikt (state forrest district), closer to Schackenborg, at the fifth of November according to Kongehuset.dk

As to the debate on how hunting is for fun and whatnot, the Danish office for Forestry and Nature have ethical guidelines on hunting.

I translate some of it:
All hunting should have a purpose. Hunting shall be more than simply killing animals. Retrieved animals shall be gathered and used.

All hunting shall happen in accordance with the current legislation, and in a manner that is safe, and the game should be killed quickly and effectively, thus avoid suffering.

All hunting shall be done according to a biological reasonable foundation, which ensures that the hunted game only is a part of the natural surplus. Any doubt whatsoever on this, shall be in favour of the animal.

To everyone who says ...don't touch the dead animal... How do you meat meat? Steaks are usually dead by the time they hit the plate.

Well, I don't eat red meat and I am about to give up chicken, turkey, lamb, as well as fish starting Jan 1, 2008.

I don't approve of this royal hunt thing; however, I understand that it is a cultural thing -- thus the norm. Furthermore, I do understand that in some countries hunting is used to control the wild animal population.

So, what are you gonna do?:unsure: I certainly don't approve, but I'm not going to shoot down/lecture my feelings about it to those who do.

Do people really eat fox ?? I thought that was one of the things we didn't eat ??:wub::wub:

I'm not 100% sure, but none of the reports I've seen from the DRF and hunting indicate that they hunt fox, as any sort of common measure. The so-called fox-hunt (Hubertusjagt) that take place in Copenhagen every year: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f33/prince-joachim-news-pictures-3676-4.html#post140965
Although it’s called a hunt and participants are clad in scarlet riding jackets, the ‘fox’ in this case is symbolised by a pretend fox’s tail which is pinned to the shoulder of one of the leading riders.

Prince Henrik seems to prefer to hunt with the purpose of putting it on the table, as can be seen in his cookbooks.

Do people really eat fox ?? I thought that was one of the things we didn't eat ??:wub::wub:

You are right lyndaW. Foxes are usually shot 1) to control their population and 2) because they are often responsible for disease transmission (rabies, tapeworm).

As to the debate on how hunting is for fun and whatnot, the Danish office for Forestry and Nature have ethical guidelines on hunting.

I translate some of it:
Quote:
All hunting should have a purpose. Hunting shall be more than simply killing animals. Retrieved animals shall be gathered and used.

All hunting shall happen in accordance with the current legislation, and in a manner that is safe, and the game should be killed quickly and effectively, thus avoid suffering.

All hunting shall be done according to a biological reasonable foundation, which ensures that the hunted game only is a part of the natural surplus. Any doubt whatsoever on this, shall be in favour of the animal.

Thanks for posting these guidelines norwegianne. This is how it should be and I am sure that the DRF will stick to these guidelines since they hunt in public and a scandal could arise (and hopefully does) if they don't act accordingly.

si

I thought I saw a very dead fox layed-out for everyone to admire among the deer.....perhaps my eyes are not what they use to be. I do realiaze certain animals carry all kinds of problems and they do need to be kept in check. For instance those adorable funny squirrels have fleas, ticks, and possibly rabies the same goes for nutria's and rats and mice.

I think Mary looked amazing, Christian looked very cute and Carina looked great. Frederik & Henrik are a big no no for me. I can't say much about the outfits of the Duke and Duchess of Calabria, because there is't a good picture of their outfits.

Yes that is an appropriate question! We never see them in these hunts!!!!:cool:

And also... those images of people admiring dead animals, shocks me. Do people should admire dead animals after a hunt?? That's part of the sport to!! that's very cruel. But O.K...they are royals and hunting is a part of a tradition and tradition speaks higher than other values.

Last edited by a moderator:
And also... those images of people admiring dead animals, shocks me. Do people should admire dead animals after a hunt?? That's part of the sport to!! that's very cruel. But O.K...they are royals and hunting is a part of a tradition and tradition speaks higher than other values.

Well i guess they are proud of their catch, I mean who wouldnt be after a day of hunting maybe or maybe not get anything. Ex, when you buy something new, and go home, dont you look at what youve gotten? to me this is the same :)

si

I thought I saw a very dead fox layed-out for everyone to admire among the deer.....perhaps my eyes are not what they use to be. I do realiaze certain animals carry all kinds of problems and they do need to be kept in check. For instance those adorable funny squirrels have fleas, ticks, and possibly rabies the same goes for nutria's and rats and mice.
No, I think you are rigth LyndaW - I think I saw a fox too in one of the pics (even though I know that my eyes are definitely not what they used to be :))

Thanks MissSaga. We can't say that about Hendrik or Frederik :lol: (Hendriks outfit and Frederiks pants - what were they thinking. OMG.)

Frederik's outfit - In the fall here, that is a regular outfit as all the hunters congregate before heading out to hunt. Lots and lots of cammo.

Frederik's outfit - In the fall here, that is a regular outfit as all the hunters congregate before heading out to hunt. Lots and lots of cammo.

Are these camouflage trousers. The one he wore at his solo hunting event looked much more like one, more like a common hunting outfit.

Was Gustav there? I think it's wonderful that Carina is accepted as practically a member of the family, and treated as if she were already Gustav's wife :flowers: Kudos to the DRF for that :)

I love Henrik's furry cap :lol: Christian looks so adorable with his little hood and red coat. Is the hood attached to a sweater? I remember him wearing something similar at last year's hunt.

The RF must be really proud of their "catch" this year. This is the first time I have seen them publish pictures of them with the actual animals on display.
If i remmeber correctly, past pictures have shown the family either coming from or going to the hunt. But I don't ever remember seeing pictures of their catch on display.

Ugh, poor deers can't even watch these pictures! :sad:

Christian is such a little cutie, and is getting bigger by the day, it seems! He was so cute, with the apple in his hand. I'm glad the Mary chose a healthy snack for him; doesn't she do something with healthy eating? I think she said that Christian was already developing a big sweet tooth, back sometime when she was still pregnant. It's good that he's already learning that he should make good choices for snacks, and eat the tasty, but unhealthy things in moderation!

I'm guessing Isabella's a little too young to come out. Maybe we'll see her next year.

I'm really not bothered by the fact that Christian is with the dead animals. I'm not a hunter myself, but I do have tons of family that do, and I've been around dead animals since I was younger than Christian. I don't think that it will cause any "emotional disturbance" unless he was truly upset by them, but he actually seemed to be enjoying himself quite a bit. It's probably just his father's genes in him.

Frederik's pants are horrible, but they're made for hunting, so I'll let him off this time!:cool: Henrik's hideous hat, however, that I have wanted to burn for ages and ages, does need to be dealt with!:eek:

The RF must be really proud of their "catch" this year. This is the first time I have seen them publish pictures of them with the actual animals on display.
If i remmeber correctly, past pictures have shown the family either coming from or going to the hunt. But I don't ever remember seeing pictures of their catch on display.
These pictures with the animals on display have always been seen in papers and magazines here, also when the late king Frederik was the host of these hunting parties.

How strange that the normally lachrimose CPFrederik doesn't exhibit any emotion here! :ermm:

Are these camouflage trousers. The one he wore at his solo hunting event looked much more like one, more like a common hunting outfit.

Yes those are camouflage pants. Here you can get baby clothes, purses etc as well. Not mind kind of pattern but it suits some.

Well i hate the sport but i do know it is a passion for most of the royals, but i think such a public display is extremely inappropriate, i know they do it and fine whatever but they need to keep it at a somewhat low key thing. As for Christian there touching the deers...uhh, so wrong. Again i know this is his future but in my opinion that was a weird thing for mary and fred to let him do. I am a meat eater so i can't really speak to low of them because just because i don't hunt it really does not make a difference, but i really think such a public display is awful!

I was just wondering if any Danish poster has read any critical comment on the pictures in newspapers and such? If such a thing would happen in my own country all hell would break loose, nature organisations, political parties and angry letters in newspapers and more of the sort.

I was just wondering if any Danish poster has read any critical comment on the pictures in newspapers and such? If such a thing would happen in my own country all hell would break loose, nature organisations, political parties and angry letters in newspapers and more of the sort.
I haven't seen any.
Doesn't the Dutch royals have hunts? I seem to remember that there were reports of Frederik and Mary attending one in Holland during their first year of marriage - and that WA hosted it? There were no pictures though.

I just can't understand why people get angry and so on when they see Chr touching dead animals. My uncle is hunter and I and my cousins were just little when he show us dead animals and so on and i must say that it isn't scary - it was very interesting and something new and he told us much about hunting and so on. Why I talk all this is because I want to say that little children must get and want to know about this side of life too and it isn't scary.
You can see how interested in Christian is and how his eyes are shining. He is just child and he don't think that hunting is cruel and so on - he just watch these animals, people, torching and think how exciting this is. Despite how Mary is attitude about hunting she can't hide Chr away and do a face that there is no such thing.

I'm surprised that you say that, Marengo. I have a friend from Holland and he says that hunting is considered a rather lame pastime for aristocrats and he and his friends make fun of them...but its not something that he says people get enraged at.

In Europe, I believe hunting is more an aristocratic pursuit while in America it is not considered high class or high brow at all. In fact its considered rather redneck.

Look at the news stand and among hunting and outdoor magazines - plenty of pictures of dead animals displayed after the hunt.

Hunting is part of wild life management and practised all over the US as well.

In Europe, I believe hunting is more an aristocratic pursuit while in America it is not considered high class or high brow at all. In fact its considered rather redneck.

There are plenty of very exclusive hunting lodges and properties across the US where you would not find a redneck - unless they worked the grounds. Definitively part of the more "land-owner" aristocracy than generally assumed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing against them hunting but seeing a little child next to dead animals shocked me when I clicked on the pictures. I'm not use to seeing that. To each his own I guess :)

Seeing Christian playing amongst dead animals is a bit disturbing and Mary doesn't look thrilled. Love Henrik's hat though :lol:.

Zaja-I love your pic :flowers:

I have nothing against them hunting but seeing a little child next to dead animals shocked me when I clicked on the pictures.

Christian seems to have a jolly good time - and that is good enough for me.
I wouldn't joine a huntingparty myselfe, but I do know people who enjoy hunting and it is my experience, that hunters have a lot more respect for nature then people have in general.

I haven't seen any.
Doesn't the Dutch royals have hunts? I seem to remember that there were reports of Frederik and Mary attending one in Holland during their first year of marriage - and that WA hosted it? There were no pictures though.

yes they do, and even a week or two ago there was some upheaval about a certain hunt at the estate the Hoge Veluwe, some nature groups were protesting, the Party of the Animals (political party, 2 seats in parlament...sigh!) asked questions etc. But the RVD denied that any royal was present.

I do remember some pictures of WA hunting at an estate of a friend in Zeeland, and that caused some angry comments in newspapers, magazines etc. But the Dutch RF does their best to keep it as much out of the public eye as possible. Hypocritical of course, but they do understand that when they would actually show such pictures there will be a public outcry.

To Ysbel: it is true that mot people do consider it an old fashioned idiotic sport, but most people also consider it cruel and don´t understand the fun of it. Still, the people who actually bother enough to do something against it here aren´t a majority indeed, though the environmental groups etc. are rather vocal about hunt from now and then. I gather that pictures like this would spark a public debate that might forbid this kind of recreational hunting alltogether. So as I said the Dutch RF is carefull to keep it all out of the sight of the public, to protect their own image.

Back
Top Bottom