Princess Nathalie of Berleburg and Family, Current Events Part 1: January 2006 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just going to ask will we see Nathalie this summer?

Nathalie will now compete at the CDIO FEI Grand Prix in Aaachen, Germany. After that, the team manager/trainer will decide which members will go to the Olympics.
Hope she makes the team. She has come along way.

Summary of an interview in Billed Bladet #27, 2013.
På boligjagt i Berleburg - Looking for a new home in Berleburg.
Interviewer: Marianne Singer.

It can hardly be a surprise that Princess Nathalie was present at the recent CHIO in Aachen. However this isn't so much about horses but more about their future plans and family life.

Q: "Your life is very much about horses and competitions and now you have become the mother of Konstantin, who was born in 2010. How do you manage to keep it all together?
N: "I have an incredibly sweet husband as a helper and an incredible sweet in-law-family, where my mother-in-law is very willing to look after our son. And he loses to be with her. So tha works pretty well and he will also be joining the competition tomorrow - my husband will pick him up.
It will become a little more tricky when he grwos up because then he has to go to school and he can't just take time off. But right now he thinks it's pretty funny. Of course we must bring some tractors and some toys with him".

Q: Your husband, Alexander, seems to be a big support to you?
N: "Absolutely, that he is. He keeps my back free. When I think riding, he takes the child or if there is something with for example the media, he handles".

Q: Does you son show an interest in horses?
N: "He likes to go to the stables and he has once sat on a horse. But for the moment he is more interested in tractors. He know all tractors by name, he's an expert in tractors.
In regards to horses, then he'll either get the interest or not. And if not, it doesn't matter".

Q: You are not trying to awaken an interest within him?
N: "That he must find out on his own. It's not something I will force (upon him)".

Q: You work and live at Schloss Berleburg and you have gone from two to three. Is it still a fitting home for you?
N: "For the time being we will remain at Berleburg. Of course at some point we would like at home with a garden. We are working on it".

Q: So you may find a house at some point?
N: "Yes, to be honest, when you have a child it's really all about being able to open the door and the child can run out into the garden and play, instead of having to open the door and go down stairs and then go somewhere esle. It's more uncomplicated with a garden".

As Nathalie's horses are located at Schloss Berleburg, they intend to find a house near Berleburg town.

Apart from talking at length about her big passion, horses, Nathalie mentions that she will take part in the European Equestrian Championships in the town of Herning later this year. - Located about an hour and a half from where we live, it will no doubt interest Mrs. Muhler who rode horses as a girl. However, my interest in horses is very limited except that they taste good.
But if we go, you'll get a report.

- I can well understand Nathalie and hubby would like to move away. It's healthy I believe not to live with your family and instead have your own home. And Schloss Berleburg might be big, but there are entire floors that have not been renovated and it's after all still someone else's home.

Denmark's Princess Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein competes on the horse Digby during the FEI Dressage European Championships in Herning, Denmark on August 22, 2013. Germany won the event ahead of the Netherlands (2nd) and Britain (3rd).
Photo credit should read HENNING BAGGER/AFP/Getty Images

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Denmark' s Princess Nathalie zu Sayn- Wittgenstein on horse Digby during the dressage finals at the ECCO FEI European Championships 2013 in Herning, Denmark, 25 August 2013.

APA picture

:previous:

It's been the last competition for 16-year-old Digby, Princess Nathalie has decided to retire her horse. According to the press reports both Nathalie and Princess Benedikte cried during the official farewell.

** ridehesten.com: Emotional farewell to Digby **

Sad but its something that needs to be done. She came a very long way with Digby. Do we know if she is keeping the horse at her farm/stables?

I like that Princess Nathalie has a love for horses and turned it into an occupation.
I like that her mother, Princess Benedikte breeds horses.
It is nice to see a love of animals extend into another generation.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

While Annelise Weimann visited Benedikte to take a long stroll down memory lane (more on that later), she bumped into Nathalie and her son Konstantin in front of the Schloss.
3½ year old Konstatin is attending kindergarten in the forenoon, while Nathalie goes riding.

And she provides us with a lot of details of their every day life.

"My son understands everything you say to him in Danish and that's what's most important. But he sin't so fond of speaking it. He can say the colors though.
Konstantin, what's the color of your blouse"? - "Blue".
And your shoes"? "Green".

"My mother always speaks Danish to him, because I've asked her to and I mostly speak Danish as well. But his father only speak German, he attends a German kindergarten and we live in Germany, so it's a bit tricky".

"I've never had a nanny for him, but always looked after him myself. I I have to do something in the afternoons, I have a very sweet (female) friend, who live right next door, who looks after him. My mother also takes care of him from time to time, that's easier now he has become so big/grown so old. But back when he still used a diaper, it wasn't easy". (*)

Q: You live right next door to your parents. Do you see each other often?
N: "Days can easily pass where we don't see each other much. We don't dine together so often any more. We stopped doing that when Konstantin grew a little bigger and no longer needed his midday nap. Instead he gets tired around 19.00.
And if I bring him over for dinner in the evening... well, then it isn't so good for the relationship between him and my father. Because my father isn't so patient with small children who are tired". She ends this...interesting...sentence with a big smile. (**)

(*) So major yukk, from Benedikte when it's time to change diapers? You can always hold the little critters in the arms and hose them down. They may squeal a little but nothing a good therapist can't handle later on in life.

(**) There are times when I really want to hit Prince Richard on the head with a big shovel! Come on, he's your grandson! Tug him in for the night. Tell him how the Big Bad Wolf used a 600 mm bazooka to blast down the houses of the Three Little Pigs and how the pigs hired a hitman to get rid of the wolff eventually.
Richard comes across as a very egocentric person.

Last edited:
(**) There are times when I really want to hit Prince Richard on the head with a big shovel! Come on, he's your grandson! Tug him in for the night. Tell him how the Big Bad Wolf used a 600 mm bazooka to blast down the houses of the Three Little Pigs and how the pigs hired a hitman to get rid of the wolff eventually.
Richard comes across as a very egocentric person.

I laughed so much when I read your last paragraph:D but yeah, I share your feelings. Prince Richard must be a very difficult man to deal with.:bang:

:previous::D When Princess Nathalie retired her champion horse Digby I thought that now was a good time for a 2nd child. It seems that she and Alexander thought the same! Congratulations to the family!:flowers:

I wonder what Names the baby will carry.

Does anyonw know something about Alexander´s parents and grand-parents?

I wonder what Names the baby will carry.

Does anyonw know something about Alexander´s parents and grand-parents?

Father: Herr Michael Adolph
Mother: Frau Ann-Katrin Johannsmann

Father: Herr Michael Adolph
Mother: Frau Ann-Katrin Johannsmann

Incorrect. Alexander's father is Heinrich-Wilhelm Johannsmann and his mother is Jutta Johannsmann (née Henkenjohann). Ann-Katrin Johannsmann, I've always presumed, is his sister (or cousin) and Michael Adolph is her husband.

Last edited:
I find it hard to guess how they might possibly name the baby

Posts about the birth of Louisa Johannsmann have been moved to this thread: link

Princess Nathalie participated in the 58th German Dressage Derby at the German Show Jumping and Dressage Derby in Klein Flottbek in Hamburg, Germany this weekend:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

No Olympic Games for Princess Nathalie !!!

https://t.co/o4vcQnsvYn

"Olympic missed: "Fabienne is not stable enough""

"Dressage rider Nathalie Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg missed their fifth qualification for Olympic Games. Beijing 2008 the 41-year-old Bad won Berleburgerin on her former show horse "Digby" Bronze with the Danish team, which is they do not belong this time. In the Danish Championships in Broholm on Funen the niece of Queen Margrethe II occupied. During the weekend on "Fabienne" 7th place and was already after the Grand Prix Special on Saturday their renunciation of the Games in Rio de Janeiro known."
https://t.co/o4vcQnsvYn

Congratulations to Nathalie. :flowers: great way fur her to take the next step with a successful riding career, being coach for the national team.

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Princess Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg is the new coach of the national Danish dressage team

Prinsesse Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein ny landstræner for det danske dressurlandshold | Øvrig sport | DR

https://translate.googleusercontent...dshold&usg=ALkJrhhWk8HOm_X0txpVVAeA26T4FumX5A
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Thank you for sharing!
Great news.
It would be interesting to watch how they can perform at the Tokyo Olympics in three years

(..)

Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein is the new national coach of the Danish dressage team
International top rider, Olympic bronze medalist and recognized coach Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein will become the new coach of the Danish dressage team. She takes over from German Rudolf Zeilinger, who has held the post for 19 years.

Highly qualified rider taking the reins of the national team
She has been an international top rider (Grand Prix level) for 15 years and she has represented Denmark at seven European Championships, three World Championships and two Olympic Games, where she was part of the bronze winning team in 2008 in Hong Kong. She has been trained by some of the world's finest dressage coaches, and for several years she served as coach of top riders in the UK, Australia and Denmark. Now she's ready to take the reins as national coach and lead Denmark to success at the championships to come.

"I am really looking forward to the position as national coach of Denmark. It is a new and exciting challenge, which means a lot to me. I hope that I, along with the riders can form a strong team for the future and continue the good development that Danish dressage has undergone in the recent years, "says Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein.

Very exciting news for Nathalie. And very well-deserved, methinks. She's an excellent rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I am very sorry to hear about the death of Princess Nathalie's beloved horse Digby. https://eurodressage.com/2020/10/06/nathalie-zu-sayn-wittgensteins-digby-passed-away

Looking over pictures of he and Nathalie from the Eurodressage website he was a beautiful horse known as a Danish Warmblood bred specifically as a competition horse. He was bred by Nathalie's mom, HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark, at their home, Castle Berleburg in Germany. As a 3-year old he was licensed and performance tested as a breeding stallion for Danish warmblood, but his career lay in dressage and he was gelded to be focused on sport. The dark bay made his debut at Grand Prix level in 2005 and became one of Denmark's strongest performing team horses to date.

Back
Top Bottom