Death & Funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg: March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
2ef7tc0.png

Arms of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

HH Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg passed away on March 13, 2017

"It is with great sadness that I, on behalf of Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, have to announce that His Highness Prince Richard has died.

His Highness died suddenly at the castle in Berleburg last night, Monday, March 13.

Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte is, after a short stay in Denmark, travelling back home to Berleburg on Tuesday morning."

Hans Højhed Prins Richard er afgået ved døden | Kongehuset

October 29, 1934 - March 13, 2017

Last edited:
Sad news. My condolences to Princess Benedikte and the entire family.

What a sad and sudden news.

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her children and grandchildren.

Such sad news. My condolences to the family.

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her family.

May he rest in peace..My condolences to princess Benedikte and her family...so sad and sudden news

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her family.

Very shocking news and I think very unexpected. I feel so sorry for Princess Benedikte and having been away from him during the weekend must make it even harder for her.

My condolences to the family!

What sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family.

Did the Danish court instate a period of mourning?

Last edited:
More details are emerging: Hvor var Prinsesse Benedikte? Nye detaljer om pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
Princess Benedikte was in central Jutland, at an equestrian event in Herning.

The death must have occurred so sudden that she didn't have time to cancel, let alone, return back to Berleburg.

The Warden/bailiff/manager of Berleburg says to Westphalen Post, that Prince Richard died peacefully Monday afternoon.
https://www.wp.de/staedte/wittgenst...-sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg-id209927315.html

Pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset: Kun Prins Henrik og sønnen støttede ham i hans værste stund | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
Prince Richard was known for extremely frank talk!
While he and his son Gustav grew close during Prince Richard's previous cancer outbreaks, and while Prince Henrik often supported him. He did imply that his wife, nor his Danish-in-laws were that much of a support during his illnesses. - And I suspect nor were his daughters nor his sons-in-law.
Princess Benedikte has years back admitted that she is uncomfortable around people who are ill, IIRC as a comment to why she wasn't more around her husband when he went down with cancer the first time.

- Prince Richard was, as you all know, in all likelihood a difficult man to be around, not least because of him not holding back his opinion and being very frank about it. He did not seem to much of a emphatic person either.
But by all account he was also a honorable gentleman of the old school of nobility. He and Prince Phillip could almost be brothers!

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...

I believe Princess Benedikte, after having settled things in Berleburg, will now live more or less permanently at Amalienborg.

My condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family. Thank you to all who are keeping us updated today.

What sad news indeed. My thoughts ar ewith him and his family.

Did the Danish court instate a period of mourning?

No, and I doubt they will.
Prince Richard was not a member of the DRF, he did not have a Danish title. And while he was often seen beforehand when there was a shortage of working adults in the DRF, he has not been seen to official events here for years.
Publicly speaking a period of official mourning would I think, not make much of sense the Danes. And it would also conflict with the Belgian state visit. State-affairs come first...
But I wonder if we will see Princess Benedikte at the gala dinner. It would certainly be understandable if she stayed away.

I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?

More details are emerging: Hvor var Prinsesse Benedikte? Nye detaljer om pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
Princess Benedikte was in central Jutland, at an equestrian event in Herning.

The death must have occurred so sudden that she didn't have time to cancel, let alone, return back to Berleburg.

The Warden/bailiff/manager of Berleburg says to Westphalen Post, that Prince Richard died peacefully Monday afternoon.
https://www.wp.de/staedte/wittgenst...-sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg-id209927315.html

Pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset: Kun Prins Henrik og sønnen støttede ham i hans værste stund | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
Prince Richard was known for extremely frank talk!
While he and his son Gustav grew close during Prince Richard's previous cancer outbreaks, and while Prince Henrik often supported him. He did imply that his wife, nor his Danish-in-laws were that much of a support during his illnesses. - And I suspect nor were his daughters nor his sons-in-law.
Princess Benedikte has years back admitted that she is uncomfortable around people who are ill, IIRC as a comment to why she wasn't more around her husband when he went down with cancer the first time.

- Prince Richard was, as you all know, in all likelihood a difficult man to be around, not least because of him not holding back his opinion and being very frank about it. He did not seem to much of a emphatic person either.
But by all account he was also a honorable gentleman of the old school of nobility. He and Prince Phillip could almost be brothers!

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...

I believe Princess Benedikte, after having settled things in Berleburg, will now live more or less permanently at Amalienborg.

Thank you, once again, for such complete information Muhler!

I'm surprised Benedikte doesn't have stronger ties to her German home, that she would permanently move to DK. Where do the daughters live these days?

Sad news indeed - a sudden passing hard on the family, but they have the consolation that there was not a long period of suffering. My condolences to Princess Benedikte - from one widow to another.

Did Prince Richard hold the Order of the Elephant?

Was it his father or grandfather that made the will that has kept Gustav and Carina from marrying? As I understand it, they could marry, but the family would lose their wealth.

Condolences to Princess Benedikte and they family.

Thank you, once again, for such complete information Muhler!

I'm surprised Benedikte doesn't have stronger ties to her German home, that she would permanently move to DK. Where do the daughters live these days?

Nathalie lives near Flensburg, at the DK/German border, as she is coaching the DK national equestrian team.
Alexandra, now, live some distance from Berleburg, somewhere in central Germany. Can't remember where.

I think Benedikte will come to Berleburg often for visits. But I don't think she will stay permanently now.

On another note. I guess it will be Joachim who will man the fort back in DK, when Prince Richard is buried.

I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?

You mean like getting married and never mind the will?

They could, and it would probably be widely accepted. Carina Gustavsson is certainly fully accepted by the DRF, also in regards to the protocol.
But the Berleburg estates are large and of considerable value. And the Berleburgs is a branch of a large, wealthy and very influential family.
Such a move could very well be contested, either by, shall we say, conservative minded people in the extended family, or by people who have economic reasons to put a claim on Berleburg or simply out of principle. - Respect for the law if you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB of course has a number of articles on the death, including this photo from Amalienborg: Prins Richard død: Flaget på halv på Amalienborg | BILLED-BLADET
Here QMII's flag was flying at half mast. - Which is to be expected.

The rules about flying Dannebrog, means the flag will raised to full mast at 18.00 or when the sun sets, depending on what comes first, before it be lowered and taken down.

This is very sad news for Benedikte and her family. I wish them all the best

RIP

What sad and unexpected news,may His Highness Prince Richard Rest in Peace.

Unexpected news but thats life. My condolences to the family and I hope these days they find ease and comfort from one another.
This is sad news.

The flags are flying at half-mast at Amalienborg Palace to mark the passing of His Highness Prince Richard.

PPE

PPE Agency

Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen statement:
"It is with great sadness that I received the announcement that His Highness Prince Richard died Monday, March 13th. The government sends its heartfelt condolences to Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, their children, grandchildren and the entire royal family . His Highness Prince Richard has always been an invaluable support of her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte of her work and with her was a distinguished representative of Denmark. Glory be to His Highness Prince Richard's memory. "
Lars Løkke Rasmussen: Prins Richard var en uvurderlig støtte for prinsesse Benedikte | BILLED-BLADET

Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen statement:
"It is with great sadness that I received the announcement that His Highness Prince Richard died Monday, March 13th. The government sends its heartfelt condolences to Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, their children, grandchildren and the entire royal family . His Highness Prince Richard has always been an invaluable support of her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte of her work and with her was a distinguished representative of Denmark. Glory be to His Highness Prince Richard's memory. "
Lars Løkke Rasmussen: Prins Richard var en uvurderlig støtte for prinsesse Benedikte | BILLED-BLADET

It is curious that Prince Richard and his children would be styled "Serene Highness" in the old German Empire, but are referred to in Denmark by the higher style of "Highness" .

My condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family.

Back
Top Bottom