The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Death & Funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg: March 2017

Arms of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

HH Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg passed away on March 13, 2017

"It is with great sadness that I, on behalf of Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, have to announce that His Highness Prince Richard has died.

His Highness died suddenly at the castle in Berleburg last night, Monday, March 13.

Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte is, after a short stay in Denmark, travelling back home to Berleburg on Tuesday morning."

Hans Højhed Prins Richard er afgået ved døden | Kongehuset

October 29, 1934 - March 13, 2017

Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 AM
Majesty

Sad news. My condolences to Princess Benedikte and the entire family.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 AM
Aristocracy

What a sad and sudden news.

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her children and grandchildren.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 AM
Courtier

may he RIP , My condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family .
Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Serene Highness

Such sad news. My condolences to the family.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Courtier

My condolences to the family.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Serene Highness

My condolences to the family.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Serene Highness

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her family.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Commoner

May he rest in peace..My condolences to princess Benedikte and her family...so sad and sudden news
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

My condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and her family.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness

This is so sad. Rip Richard.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Very shocking news and I think very unexpected. I feel so sorry for Princess Benedikte and having been away from him during the weekend must make it even harder for her.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

My condolences to the family!

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family.

Did the Danish court instate a period of mourning?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Majesty

More details are emerging: Hvor var Prinsesse Benedikte? Nye detaljer om pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
Princess Benedikte was in central Jutland, at an equestrian event in Herning.

The death must have occurred so sudden that she didn't have time to cancel, let alone, return back to Berleburg.

The Warden/bailiff/manager of Berleburg says to Westphalen Post, that Prince Richard died peacefully Monday afternoon.
https://www.wp.de/staedte/wittgenste...209927315.html

Pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset: Kun Prins Henrik og sønnen støttede ham i hans værste stund | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
Prince Richard was known for extremely frank talk!
While he and his son Gustav grew close during Prince Richard's previous cancer outbreaks, and while Prince Henrik often supported him. He did imply that his wife, nor his Danish-in-laws were that much of a support during his illnesses. - And I suspect nor were his daughters nor his sons-in-law.
Princess Benedikte has years back admitted that she is uncomfortable around people who are ill, IIRC as a comment to why she wasn't more around her husband when he went down with cancer the first time.

- Prince Richard was, as you all know, in all likelihood a difficult man to be around, not least because of him not holding back his opinion and being very frank about it. He did not seem to much of a emphatic person either.
But by all account he was also a honorable gentleman of the old school of nobility. He and Prince Phillip could almost be brothers!

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...

I believe Princess Benedikte, after having settled things in Berleburg, will now live more or less permanently at Amalienborg.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

My condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family. Thank you to all who are keeping us updated today.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
What sad news indeed. My thoughts ar ewith him and his family.

Did the Danish court instate a period of mourning?
No, and I doubt they will.
Prince Richard was not a member of the DRF, he did not have a Danish title. And while he was often seen beforehand when there was a shortage of working adults in the DRF, he has not been seen to official events here for years.
Publicly speaking a period of official mourning would I think, not make much of sense the Danes. And it would also conflict with the Belgian state visit. State-affairs come first...
But I wonder if we will see Princess Benedikte at the gala dinner. It would certainly be understandable if she stayed away.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Gentry

I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
More details are emerging: Hvor var Prinsesse Benedikte? Nye detaljer om pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
Princess Benedikte was in central Jutland, at an equestrian event in Herning.

The death must have occurred so sudden that she didn't have time to cancel, let alone, return back to Berleburg.

The Warden/bailiff/manager of Berleburg says to Westphalen Post, that Prince Richard died peacefully Monday afternoon.
https://www.wp.de/staedte/wittgenste...209927315.html

Pludseligt dødsfald i Kongehuset: Kun Prins Henrik og sønnen støttede ham i hans værste stund | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
Prince Richard was known for extremely frank talk!
While he and his son Gustav grew close during Prince Richard's previous cancer outbreaks, and while Prince Henrik often supported him. He did imply that his wife, nor his Danish-in-laws were that much of a support during his illnesses. - And I suspect nor were his daughters nor his sons-in-law.
Princess Benedikte has years back admitted that she is uncomfortable around people who are ill, IIRC as a comment to why she wasn't more around her husband when he went down with cancer the first time.

- Prince Richard was, as you all know, in all likelihood a difficult man to be around, not least because of him not holding back his opinion and being very frank about it. He did not seem to much of a emphatic person either.
But by all account he was also a honorable gentleman of the old school of nobility. He and Prince Phillip could almost be brothers!

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...

I believe Princess Benedikte, after having settled things in Berleburg, will now live more or less permanently at Amalienborg.
Thank you, once again, for such complete information Muhler!

I'm surprised Benedikte doesn't have stronger ties to her German home, that she would permanently move to DK. Where do the daughters live these days?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Sad news indeed - a sudden passing hard on the family, but they have the consolation that there was not a long period of suffering. My condolences to Princess Benedikte - from one widow to another.

Did Prince Richard hold the Order of the Elephant?

Was it his father or grandfather that made the will that has kept Gustav and Carina from marrying? As I understand it, they could marry, but the family would lose their wealth.