King Albert II and Queen Paola, Current Events; Part 3 (Aug. 2010 - July 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

Queen Paola attended a masterclass of famous cello player Gary Hoffman at the Chapelle
Musciale Reine Elisabeth in Waterloo today, February 14, 2012.
The visit marks the opening of classes in cello as the fifth discipline of the arts programme
available to students of the Chapelle Musciale Reine Elisabeth.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery ** isopix gallery **

Last edited:

King Albert has received the President of the United Nations 66th General Assembly Nassir
Abdulaziz Al-Nasser at the Laken/Laeken Royal Castle in Brussels on March 6, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

King Albert and Queen Paoal will go later today to the military airport in Melsbroek. The royal couple will attend the departure of the familes of the victims from the bus accident to Switzerland. The royal couple will not travel to Switerland.
A catastrophic coach crash killed at least 22 Belgian children and six adults - after the vehicle veered, hit a kerb and then rammed into a concrete wall in a Swiss tunnel.

22 children killed and dozens more hurt in devastating Switzerland coach crash

King Albert and Queen Paola made a visit to the 'Vrij Technisch Instituut Aalst', a secondary
school in Aalst that celebrates it's 100th anniversary today, March 14.

A minute of silence for the victims of the bus accident in Switzerland was held during the visit.

The King went to confort parents of the victims who were going to leave to Switzerland. The horror of it is that a lot of the parents don't yet know if their child is alive or else

I share the sorrow of the families affected by this terrible accident and also of the people of Belgium I like a lot. They are all in my prayers

:previous:Those families plus the remaining responsible school staff on-site as well as at home in Belgium are also in my thoughts and prayers. It must be such a heavy burden for all of them!
King Albert II and Queen Paola today at Melsbroek Military Airport near Brussels, meeting the families of the victims:
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/editorial/all/coverage/3586626.html; http://news.daylife.com/search/photos?__site=daylife&q=King+Albert+March+14+2012; http://www.picturedesk.com/bild-disp/search/search.action?ts=1331730056393&data=eyJzb3J0IjowLCJucnAiOjUwLCJycyI6MCwicG4iOjEsInN0IjoiUVVFUllfU1RSSU5HIiwiYnIiOlsiMDo2OkFsYmVydCBQYW9sYSBNYXJjaCAxNCAyMDEyIl19; http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20120314_119 (galleries 2-4 include pictures from the royal couple's visit to the "Vrij Technisch Instituut Aalst")

King Albert and Queen Paola made a visit to the 'Vrij Technisch Instituut Aalst', a secondary school in Aalst that celebrates it's 100th anniversary today, March 14. A minute of silence for the victims of the bus accident in Switzerland was held during the visit.
One further photo compilation: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20120314_219

Last edited:
King Albert II and Queen Paola met the families of the victims of the horrible tragedy that occured there. A bus carrying a Belgian school party home from a ski trip crashed into the wall of a tunnel in Switzerland late on Tuesday, killing 28 people, mostly children. Distraught parents, many of whom still did not know if their children were among the 22 pupils killed, gathered at a school in Belgium to be flown to Switzerland on military aircraft.

The King and Queen arrived at Melsbroek military airport. Upon arrival, they were briefed by the Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo and Defence Minister Pieter De Crem. Their Majesties observed a minute of silence for the victims of the tragedy.

What a sad duty their Majesties have! The expression on their faces says just what a horrible blow it was for the Belgians.
My prayers and thoughts are with the families of victims. :sad:

Last edited:
King Albert II and Queen Paola left for Switzerland to be with the families of the victims of the horrible tragedy that occured there. A bus carrying a Belgian school party home from a ski trip crashed into the wall of a tunnel in Switzerland late on Tuesday, killing 28 people, mostly children. Distraught parents, many of whom still did not know if their children were among the 22 pupils killed, gathered at a school in Belgium to be flown to Switzerland on military aircraft.

The King and Queen arrived at Melsbroek military airport before departing for Switzerland March 14, 2012. Upon arrival, they were briefed by the Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo and Defence Minister Pieter De Crem. They took the same plane that carried the relatives of the victims. Upon arrival, Their Majesties observed a minute of silence for the victims of the tragedy.

What a sad duty their Majesties have! The expression on their faces says just what a horrible blow it was for the Belgians.
My prayers and thoughts are with the families of victims. :sad:

The kind and Queen will not travel to Switserland. They came to the airport to see the parents of the childern.

:previous:
Thank you for the information; I have corrected my post.
My impress Their Majesty's were leaving for Switzerland was based on the captions for their pictures.

TM met parents at that moment who did not know if their child was still alive or tragically not. I just saw pictures of the Bus : the front of the bus disappeared in the wall of the tunnel. The bus drivers , the teacher Mr Frank, a Lady from School children sitting in the front are between the victims . No list has been published yet.
This dramatic black 14 March for Belgium should be a new thread. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ice-flower for sending already these pictures . You are doing great work. I apologize for being harsh last week I was still impressed it was belgian’s national mourning day.
The Lady who is crying is the Swiss President.

Maria-olivia, don't worry, I've completely understood that last week and still do, it's a sorely touching tragedy..

Lucien, I've felt the same, it's been a perfectly arranged ceremony and I've been deeply impressed by the
strength and courage of sibblings and parents to speak about their feelings and to say goodbye.

King Albert, Queen Paola, as well as the Crown Prince Couple of the Netherlands bowed to the victims and
the relatives - a very nice gesture.

** rtl.be video: Le roi et la reine à la cérémonie d'adieu **

Sadly though 2 families choose not to have thier childrens remains at the service

I have no words to express what I felt when I saw these images... I leave here my deepest sympathy.

What a sad event. :sad:
You can see just how devastated everyone was; the pain and sorrow was etched on their faces. Seeing the Queen cry like that was difficult, and even the King couldn't contain his emotions. And that's just the royals; I can't even begin to imagine how the families of the victims must feel right now.
It was incredibly moving when they all held hands during the service; that's how you can overcome troubles - holding together.

Last edited:
I have no words to express what I felt when I saw these images... I leave here my deepest sympathy.
I wholeheartedly associate myself with your statement –that’s why we need modes of communication like the music during that memorial service in Lommel, to absorb our otherwise overwhelming emotions while we remain silent in view of linguistically merely inadequately expressible circumstances in life…
All royals did their very best paying tribute to the victims and offering comfort to the bereaved (as well as being attentively caring to each other, like Artemisia pointed out) i.m.o.. Perhaps Queen Paola was/is notably able to empathize with the siblings of those deceased children because she suffered the loss of two beloved older siblings during her own childhood. Finally, I also sympathize with Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess Máxima –enduring suchlike ceremonies must have been incredibly painful while simultaneously worrying about Prince Friso’s dramatic health status.
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/mediatheek/redactietips/MMG_afscheid_LumENLeuv/2.20427/1.1251791 (entire broadcast)
http://www.purepeople.com/article/obseques-des-morts-du-tunnel-de-sierre-royaux-belges-et-neerlandais-en-deuil_a97965/1 (article/picture gallery)
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=GBO3NRPNV (2nd article)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom