Prince Albert II of Monaco Current Events - Part 27: November 2008 - September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glistening Seas

:harvest::ohmy:Co-o-o-l-d weather??? hmmm couldn't have been too cold if most of those people were in their bathing suits!!! and... looking like they were having a good time!!! You are right PA does look very streamlined...wonder whom his trainor is?!? The cooler weather "must" have been why some others went with their santa coat and santa hats too hee. (see them on the beach??):advent::xmasbell::poinsettia:

The water may be warm ....

But Albert himself is totally cool - Santa Claus wearing sunglasses :cool:!

Glistening Seas

:) It's for certain the New Year will be great for all.the pics was great and so was the speech very optimistic!! looking forward to seeing the expedition to Antartica pics --hope he's wired!!:candycane::newyear:

Thanks QUEENECE29 for posting this interesting article about Albert.:flowers:
There are a couple statements by the author that I find annoying:

"The decision to abandon the much vaunted £10 billion expansion scheme has disappointed inhabitants, prompting criticism of the 50-year-old bachelor prince renowned for his interest in green issues." How the author know what people in Monaco think and that they are disappointed:confused:. Did he organized poll within Monegasques? :whistling:There is no poll that would say what people in MC think about Albert's decisions...
Next statement:"Resentment of Albert, the son of Grace Kelly, the Hollywood star, has been fuelled by his decision to set off on a four-week expedition to Antarctica instead of grappling with the financial crisis." Last time I checked Prince Palace website it said : expedition is between 01/05/09 - 01/21/09, so it makes 16 days, so like 2 weeks...;)
Another example like media make up or twist facts.:rolleyes:

Prince Albert of Monaco walks by a Punta Arenas street at his arrival, some 3,150 km south of Santiago, Chile, on 04 January 2009, before his Monday's travel with Chilean students and scientists to visit Antarctica, to make a call due the world wide to the effects of the global climate change in the poles of the earth.

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

That was a very silly article :D. Out of all the people in the world you could write something negative about?:rolleyes: What's this guy's real gripe with Albert?:ROFLMAO:

So, he put a very big and expensive venture on the backburner during a bad economic climate? Sounds like good judgment to me, especially since there was already opposition with messing with Monaco's landscape and environmental concerns. So people "Bid" on the project--they should have all been prepared to lose it regardless. Disappointed perhaps, but "mad" :lol: I think there are a lot of other people in the world right now that have a better reason to be a little disgruntled :rolleyes:. Also I doubt the people of Monaco are losing any sleep over Albert's love life right now. :)

Prince Albert of Monaco walks by a Punta Arenas street at his arrival, some 3,150 km south of Santiago, Chile, on 04 January 2009, before his Monday's travel with Chilean students and scientists to visit Antarctica, to make a call due the world wide to the effects of the global climate change in the poles of the earth.

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

Thanks for posting Florencia, he looks happy.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:flowers: it easy to concur that Monaco doesn't seem to be at all unhappy at the stopping of the building due to the world financial mess right now.

:holly: so if they really like the project that much; at a later time they can go ahead with it. It's better than starting it and then having to abandon it because of any unforseen glitch??

The pics turned out fab. It will be good to see whaaat the PA and the scientist can turn up with??? Although, all that snooow geez. it should prove interesting and it's sure that Monagasquen's think so too. :poinsettia::candycane::newyear:

:flowers: it easy to concur that Monaco doesn't seem to be at all unhappy at the stopping of the building due to the world financial mess right now.

:holly: so if they really like the project that much; at a later time they can go ahead with it. It's better than starting it and then having to abandon it because of any unforseen glitch??

The pics turned out fab. It will be good to see whaaat the PA and the scientist can turn up with??? Although, all that snooow geez. it should prove interesting and it's sure that Monagasquen's think so too. :poinsettia::candycane::newyear:

I didn't take it that they were unhappy about the project being put on hold, but that he away from Monaco so much. Also that they wish he would either marry Charlene or keep her in the background more. Anyway, It sounded to me like the grumbling was about his being gone so much and thus leaving the business of Monaco to his advisors rather than being hands on like his father.

I didn't take it that they were unhappy about the project being put on hold, but that he away from Monaco so much. Also that they wish he would either marry Charlene or keep her in the background more. Anyway, It sounded to me like the grumbling was about his being gone so much and thus leaving the business of Monaco to his advisors rather than being hands on like his father.

It's his job to meet with other heads of state and to represent Monaco around the globe. He's probably a more "hands-on" head of state than almost any prince of the principality (outside of his father).

The government beauracracy was set up to allow the prince to represent the principality around the globe without worrying about the day to day miniscule governance. The government was set up to run itself with little intercedance from the prince. This doesn't mean that he's not in charge. It just means that he doesn't need to make every little decision.

In my opinion, the prince is doing a great job of balancing the needs of the citizens and guests of the principality, and his goals of pushing the world into a saner approach to the limited environment of this planet.

...and - dare I say - I think the citizens of Monaco would agree with me.

It's his job to meet with other heads of state and to represent Monaco around the globe. He's probably a more "hands-on" head of state than almost any prince of the principality (outside of his father).

The government beauracracy was set up to allow the prince to represent the principality around the globe without worrying about the day to day miniscule governance. The government was set up to run itself with little intercedance from the prince. This doesn't mean that he's not in charge. It just means that he doesn't need to make every little decision.

In my opinion, the prince is doing a great job of balancing the needs of the citizens and guests of the principality, and his goals of pushing the world into a saner approach to the limited environment of this planet.

...and - dare I say - I think the citizens of Monaco would agree with me.

I hope you realize I was referring to what I thought the article meant not necessarily my viewpoint. Although I do have to say that he is gone a lot more than other heads of state who let their ambassadors and secretaries of state handle many of the tasks he is currently doing. In that regard perhaps the article had a point about his being away so much - on the other hand it represents your point well too with regard to his being hands on. As for the citizens of Monaco, I have heard from several whose opinions seem to fit the articles comments, so it's hard to say since I don't live there.

My recollection of Rainier was that he was completely hands on, so much so, that he preferred to let Grace do the traveling while he held the fort. I'm sure he had his reasons and considering how well he managed Monaco's affairs, Monaco would not be in the position it is today. Times do change and so do governments so Albert is governing the way he thinks is best.

Maybe this governing style that Rainer had, is not necessary anymore. Times change, Monaco is different than say in 1960s or 1970s. It seems that Albert is delegating. Maybe it is the best way to govern his country now.:neutral:

A lot of updated pics of Albert from Chile. Thanks everyone:star:. I can't wait for PA pics from Antarctica.

Maybe this governing style that Rainer had, is not necessary anymore. Times change, Monaco is different than say in 1960s or 1970s. It seems that Albert is delegating. Maybe it is the best way to govern his country now.:neutral:

A lot of updated pics of Albert from Chile. Thanks everyone:star:. I can't wait for PA pics from Antarctica.

That was my closing statement. He governs as he feels is necessary.

Pics 27.1.2009

Prince Albert at the inauguration of the pier Lucciana
in Monaco on January 27, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

As a postscript to the Sainte-Dévote celebrations, Prince Albert got together with the Mayor of Lucciana, as well as his Minister of State, Mayor of Monaco etc., to unveil a plaque named "quai Lucciana".

Lucciana (Corsica) and Monaco have been twinned since 2008, mainly because they both have Sainte-Dévote as their Patron Saint.

Picture from Nice-Matin online:
Monaco.maville.com La contre-jetée devient le «quai Lucciana»

Prince Albert's short trip to Düsseldorf is a fundraising event for his environmental charity, the "Fondation Prince Albert". On the evening of Feb. 2nd he will be hosting a fundraising dinner, by invitation only, price 300 euro.

The event is also the founding of the German branch of the foundation, the "Freunde der Stiftung Fürst Albert II von Monaco" (Friends of the Foundation Prince Albert of Monaco).

He will be leaving for home again the following morning.

Besuch in Düsseldorf: Fürst Albert kommt im Februar | RP ONLINE

My summary of Prince Albert's unannounced visit to the Hahnenkamm-Rennen, a famous ski race in Kitzbühel, Austria:

When he left the VIP area, he had to stop because a boy was nearly trampled to death. He was surrounded by media, and one of the photographers fell backwards towards the boy.

(Click on "Slideshow" just below "Kitzbühel, on the far left of the screen; the main pictures are No. 3, 14, and 15)

As usual he stayed with his friend Gerhard Berger (Formula 1 driver), and he also visited again the "Stanglwirt" for a "white sausage party" .......

No sign of Charlene though...

Das war das Star-Wochenende in Kitzbühel - Leute - Österreich / oe24.at

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

Hopefully the child didn't get trampled over too much how did a child get in the press area. Hope the press was okay too! Certainly All did get taken care of?? Children especially get sooo interested in the royalty aspect of things they can get a little lost in the shuffle of things. :easterbunny:

An interview to Prince Albert (before going to Antartica).
Diario El País-España
Mónaco S. A. · ELPAÍS.com
Thanx for posting this interview. I tried reading this using google translator. I wonder if Albert speaks Spanish well enough so it could be his original interview? I know he speaks, but how well?

You are welcome Lakshmi.

In the interview (at the end of the second paragraph) Prince Albert said that "Hola" is the only thing that he knew to say in Spanish.

Lanza un hola caluroso en español. "No se equivoque; es lo único que sé decir en su idioma",

Glistening Seas

:) Someone said that PA did speak fluent spanish as well as italian? my translator croaked about halfway thru the article. (ooops) but got the rest done. Couldn't find that in the second paragraph where he said hola is all he knew in Spanish? Wheew very informative. :easterbunny:

I heard him interviewed by the Italian TV, and can assure that he's not that fluent in Italian. I happened to listen to Caroline interviewed by the Italian TV, when she was married to Stefano Casiraghi. IMO she's doesn't speak Italian so fluently as the press want us to believe...

Glistening Seas

:) Hmm we too heard an italian interview PA gave and he did fine of course italian isn't one of the languages we know. However, he took his time and thought about his Italian choices of words and then went to it. so it seemed okay. Never heard Caroline italian or French. Pa and family know a looooot of languages. So, juggling cannot be easy.
:books:We knew someone whom spoke 7 (yes, 7 languages) that's about 2 1/2 times more than we know; but of course they had grown up all over Europe at the time when all the different countries were being invaded by the Communist hitler; so his family had to keep moving and with each move adopted a new language.
:shamrock:Fortunately for them they found refuge out of those henious circumstances but their knowledge of language from one to the other was fabulous. So, it seems our Princely family does indeed do well with what "much" or "little" they do know. it always puts me in awe when someone knows so many languages because to learn them isn't an easy task so the fact they do know so many and so interchangeably well, is simply pretty awsome, don't you suppose so too? :shamrock::easterbunny:

I heard him interviewed by the Italian TV, and can assure that he's not that fluent in Italian. I happened to listen to Caroline interviewed by the Italian TV, when she was married to Stefano Casiraghi. IMO she's doesn't speak Italian so fluently as the press want us to believe...

As I've never heard Prince Albert or Princess Caroline speaking Italian, Caroline said she spoke Italian, Spanish, French, German, and English. She said that on 20/20 many years ago. She even mentioned that she knows Latin and Greek.

Princess Caroline speaks Italian perfectly,I heard her in 1987 interviewed by Mino Damato for Rai Uno and on other occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom