The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Well, thanks for posting. I almost believed in the States people didn't watch these interviews (as if it changed anything) and that it was not some good laughable material. All these haters who comment must have had a bad day
Who is the hater? Those who laugh or those who seek to understand?

There is another way to interpret what Albert did: he was stuttering and he needed a moment. And maybe he didn't actually shut down the interview then and did in fact just talk to Charlene or the interviewer. Whatever it was, he needed a moment - maybe Charlene needed a moment - that is not unheard of and actually happens with fair regularity in interviews. What is unusual is that the interviewer decided to include Albert asking for time as though this was the apex of some failure - when, in fact, usually interviewers extend this courtesy because after all the interviewee is doing the interviewer a favor - giving them a job, when you think about it.

For some reason this interviewer decided to use a very human moment - Albert in the midst of a stutter - to suggest failure. And you think that's laughable? Something is askew here.

Remember: in the initial piece the interviewer had said that they only had a 30 minute interview (unusually short - something happened) - that comment got snipped - as did the comments about informality and not having to curtsy but having to address them as Highness. All the comments lending to an undercurrent of mocking have been edited out. This has been a fascinating experience. Something happened in that interview. I don't know what - 'ambush' is the likely culprit - the evidence is there.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Courtier

Clean up what image? Really listing Gossip site is no difference than people listing tabloids on here.

It not even any different than people who accused someone of being abusive on here.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Albert & Charlène von Monaco: „Die Gerüchte waren komplett unwahr!“ - BUNTE
Princess gives royal run-around - Times LIVE
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Who is the hater? Those who laugh or those who seek to understand?

There is another way to interpret what Albert did: he was stuttering and he needed a moment. And maybe he didn't actually shut down the interview then and did in fact just talk to Charlene or the interviewer. Whatever it was, he needed a moment - maybe Charlene needed a moment - that is not unheard of and actually happens with fair regularity in interviews. What is unusual is that the interviewer decided to include Albert asking for time as though this was the apex of some failure - when, in fact, usually interviewers extend this courtesy because after all the interviewee is doing the interviewer a favor - giving them a job, when you think about it.

For some reason this interviewer decided to use a very human moment - Albert in the midst of a stutter - to suggest failure. And you think that's laughable? Something is askew here.

Remember: in the initial piece the interviewer had said that they only had a 30 minute interview (unusually short - something happened) - that comment got snipped - as did the comments about informality and not having to curtsy but having to address them as Highness. All the comments lending to an undercurrent of mocking have been edited out. This has been a fascinating experience. Something happened in that interview. I don't know what - 'ambush' is the likely culprit - the evidence is there.
Honestly, I don´t know where you are going. What are you doing, trying to convince me/us this was a good interview and these things happen all the time? You think I´m an idiot? First, If you revise my previous posts you´ll see the first thing I commented was that I could not laugh because I felt so sorry for him. If you then read the comments in several pages like the ones posted above you´ll see people are laughing and mocking at this disaster, which is why I said it was laughable (for others, not me). I have seen PA in interviews and I know he can do perfectly, stuttering or not ( it is not something that prevents him from expressing well and conveing his ideas), even in English.

So in your opinion she needed a moment for what? For thinking over what it is like to be a princess? Probably she needs 5 minutes to come up with an asnwer, that´s what you are suggesting? This makes her looking even more inept, sorry. She could have said "It it a wonderful experience, I like especially the exchange with people. It´s been fascinating to be able to take part in charities and bla bla bla bla , it´s nice JOB!! bla bla". Just LIE to us if necessary! There is no excuse like "she´s shy", she was nervous, it´s the same kind of excuses I hear from the other failure that was their engagement interview with Patrick Poivre d'Arvor. She´s a 34 year old woman, and she´s paid for this, as a reminder.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I saw the interview yesterday and I thought what the hell were they thinking? Sorry but by presenting themselves like they did they do invite the mockery/rumours that have been going on.

Albert is not the best speaker, ok, but then, IF you DECIDE to do an interview, be prepared! And this goes for both of them. What is it like to be Princess of Monaco and the answer is I dont know, looking to hubby who (being a Head of State) does a timeout??? What kind of questions were they expecting if not this specific one?

Its a classic way to shoot yourself in the foot. You cant help thinking, they are clueless, arent they?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Aristocracy

I just do not understand why they keep doing these interviews. Both of them come across so badly. They can blame editing if they wish but the truth is they are a P.R disaster.
That was a very simple interview and the questions were hardly difficult. To have difficulty answering them is a joke. If they are going on Piers Morgan they really need to have a rethink about their attitude. He will not be asking them what their favourite colour is.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just watched the CBS video (edited version). I didn't think it was quite as bad as some make out. Albert seemed nervous and a little wary of the questions. The problem for me was Charlene. She has no clue how to be interviewed! The way she just shrugs or giggles! After a year of bein married she should have some clue how to answer simple questions. She didn't even sit still, constantly fidgeting and moving. I think she is beautiful and I dont buy into the rumours that she and Albert do not love each other. However i feel she needs to put more effort into being the princess Monaco deserves. She doesn't seem to take it seriously
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Courtier

They should stop doing interviews.
Not prepared, asked stupid and old questions, not knowing what to answer....
it's not doing them any good! So STOP IT!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Royal Highness

I think the the journalist and her questions were really stupid, she is a really blond woman!! And I don't find their behavior strange, you should imagine, what Albert and Charlene think about media after such rumours, what was made before their marriage. I wouldn't give interviews anymore if I were they... But you can see on their face, what they think about this interview... I can imagine, that they laughed after it...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
Damage control to clean up your image after an article in Celebitchy and Dlisted? Really now ...

You are using Dlisted to strengthen your case? Seriously? So this is what you call objective? I personally find Dlisted's Michael K's articles hilariously irreverent but not something to pass on as fair and decent insights to events. Here's an example, this time on your favored royals.

THE QUEEN | Dlisted
How is Dlisted any worse than the Daily Mail, or People magazine, or Bunte? They're all tabloids, the only difference is those publications produce a paper version. You have such a problem with me linking to the site that you choose to do the same? Ok, that makes complete sense.

The point of the articles is to show that this interview has gone down like a lead balloon. The respected media outlets aren't covering it at all. These two shoot themselves in the foot every time they open their mouths in public. The impression of there being something not quite right here is starting to stick, and that's going to be very difficult to turn around.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Nobility

I believe Albert and Charlene are united in their marriage, but if you cant answer the questions, dont do the interview!!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

There's no denying it was an awkward interview.
Charlene, especially, should have learned by now not to punctuate every comment with "you know."
Albert came across as uncertain and fumbling for words, almost as if he'd never given an interview before.

(Also, the pictures of a radiant Grace didn't do Charlene any favors. I know they left me baffled at the comparison! Well, I guess they were both blonde, that's the only similarity I can see).
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Charlene has given interviews before and has done fairly well. She can be clear and answer questions with poise. I don't know what happened here. We don't have access to the whole unedited video but it seems as if once their confidence was shaken and they became nervous their confidence just kept on crumbling. As Albert was answering the question about comparisons of Grace to Charlene, Charlene looks as if she is about to tear up and cry.

Publicity is part of their job so I wish them well and hope that they do much better the next time they are interviewed.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

People seem to be getting awfully excited about what was at the end of the day merely one interview on an American morning chat show. Good, bad or indifferent that is all it was. Not exactly earth shattering. It is not going to cause the Monagasques to toss out the Grimaldis. It is not going to cause people to decide not to visit Monaco or for the very rich to decide not to take advantage of Monaco's beneficial tax laws.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Even her body language is painful to watch.
I agree - she's not graceful or poised or even well-mannered. Sorry. (..)She doesn't feel comfortable with herself, her role, her husband and I'm afraid it shows. Again, I feel a bit sorry for Prince Albert because I actually think he is quite likable.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

The clip is 6:00 minutes - and within that we see about 1:00 minute of 'interview'. All the rest is about Will and Kate (a lot more in the longer version - which was a bit over 7:00 minutes - if I recall correctly), how wealthy everyone is in Monaco, snaps of Princess Grace and considerable context given by the 'interviewer' regarding all the gossip (Albert and Charlene supposedly sleeping apart on their honeymoon, etc - all of which Albert said was unfounded, they knew the source and had dealt with it - what more can be said?)), Albert's reputation as a playboy (with snaps of sleezy tabloid covers). One minute of screen time for the 'interview' and we are told the 'interview' lasted 30 minutes? (At least that's what the 'interviewer' told us in the longer version).

This was a hatchet job. Even with hopeless material (in my experience) one can patch together a decent result and show one's interviewees in a benign light. But I don't believe the young woman intended anything but what she delivered.

Now I wonder what the 30 minutes consisted of - from walk-in to set-up, sit-down, break-down and walk-out? Or was it worse and she was including the photo-op at the pool-side? Given that they were given that kind of photo-op I could well expect that Albert and Charlene would be expecting Olympic questions, etc.

Just how much time did they actually have in the Q&A? The more I think about it the more odd the whole thing appears. She interviewed the couple for 30 minutes (she said) and could only share less than 60 seconds of it? Plus all that she shared was them being 'uncooperative'? What happened for the other 29 minutes? We are shown one minute's worth out of 30 minutes - that strikes no one as odd? In fact they were so uncooperative the poor woman had to do all the context, poor thing - actually do a voice over and show tabloids to get her point across. It was a smear.

Trust me, the woman had a 'point' - and Albert and Charlene figured it out and weren't cooperating - though there is little one can do once the cameras start rolling, short of 'walking out' and that would have gotten the headlines the woman would have enjoyed, I'm sure. It wasn't to their advantage as it turned out - but I could well understand that they were expecting better from CBS. So was I.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Commoner

So how is life being a princess? What a stupid question is that. She is just a lovely women who maried the man she loves. Like the most of us do ( i hope). Now she has a title as princess because of this mariage so what? she is just still Charlene, no other personality. She is looking for some dutys to do what suites her just like other working maried women. And she does'nt need to compare with Grace Kelley and I think she even doesn't look like her. I just like her the way she is. They look very happy to me, she is smart women who would never let herself be forced in a mariage that she doesn't want.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
They are hardly the "laughing stock" except to a few who like to poke holes everywhere. Most no one in the States watches any of these interviews. How interesting are any of the Royals from any country. They are just people. Albert is shy and, I, suspect, so is Charlene. Lots of dirt was flung last year, and yet nothing was proven true. I am sure to some regret to some on this site.
I would say most in the States, even well-educated folks, know only of the BRF and "Princess Grace's children, or grandchildren" ; how they are always referenced. I would say most have no knowledge that there are any other RF and interest is almost nil
Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

My God: So many comments about this interview and no comments when there is a photo of Albert and Charlene at a diner with candles.
Tyger, you made a good analyst of this interview. I do not believe that they spoke during 30 minuts. The video lasts 6 minutes.
Usually, the palace asks the future questions and there is an oral agreement before the interview. We saw that the princes are surprised about this questions.I think that this woman did not follow this agreement and did what she wanted. I did not appreciat the commnets about the rumors when she was inside of the palace. It is strange also that there is an other interview about the fondation of Charlene. Charlène was excellent there. I like when she said 'serious questions and seeing the prince smiling to her.
In november, there was an interview on a american tv, Charlene was fine. There were questions about the rumors but the interviiewer asked very well these questions. He also asked other questions about the sucession if the couple has a daughter, will she be in the line of sucession and a question about Princess Grace.

All the celebrities have interviews and it happens the interview could be bad. It is not why these men did not become good presidents or other.
I think that this interview will not stay in the history , it will not change the history of Monaco. and the couple must go on the interviews . They had good interviews before the wedding, Charlene gave also a good interview in Australia in march.
Charlene did good things in Monaco. visits of schools high schools, nursery, club of rugby, she is co patron of the giving organisation with Desmond Tutu and she has her own foundation. This is more important than an tabloid interview.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness

Albert et Charlene, interview pour leur 1er anniversaire de mariage: un fiasco !

Closed Thread