HSH Prince Albert Current Events 18 : May 2006 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reuters via Yahoo

Team captain Prince Albert II of Monaco (R) kicks the ball during a soccer match between former and present members of the IOC's Athletes' Commission at the Juan Antonio Samaranch Stadium in Lausanne, June 19, 2006. The match was part of a series of activities celebrating the 25th anniversary of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Athletes' Commission. REUTERS/ARC/Jean-Bernard Sieber (SWITZERLAND)

Attachments

• r501485285.jpg
    r501485285.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 380
  • r1326462015.jpg
    r1326462015.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 340
  • r1640435335.jpg
    r1640435335.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 397
  • r1774448364.jpg
    r1774448364.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 393
  • r2398063385.jpg
    r2398063385.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 356
  • r3932283853.jpg
    r3932283853.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 402
  • r223270673.jpg
    r223270673.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 354
Well, even if he has put on a few pounds, it looks like he can still get around the soccer pitch pretty well!!

Great pictures! thanks for sharing... :)

Thanks for the pics tbhrc, I love football pics because they always make the funniest expressions :D!

New pics from EPA/ANP & Reuters

Prince Albert II of Monaco speaks during the launch of the Prince Albert II foundation for the environment and sustainable development at the Palace of Monaco on Tuesday, 27 June 2006. EPA/ASM CORBIS OUT

Attachments

• 3227408.jpg
    3227408.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 3227411.jpg
    3227411.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 3227416.jpg
    3227416.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 307
  • r1868267532.jpg
    r1868267532.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 319
  • r2843810868.jpg
    r2843810868.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 377
  • r4007576330.jpg
    r4007576330.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Well ladies and gentlemen

It is time we gave our beloved credit for the good things he is doing, apart from his personal stuff. He is apparently if I understand correctly giving 20-30 million Euros every year to this scientific foundation. That has to count for something.
"A moyen terme", il entend se doter d'un budget annuel oscillant entre 20 et 30 millions d'euros.
Maybe he will be remembered as times go by as the man who saved the Earth from distruction. The Earth sure is going through a hell of a lot these years. Let's all join him in his quest and do our tiny bits to save the earth. Walk instead of drive, recycle, pick up garbage in the woods, send nature loving light, force our governments to stop harmful Third World aid such as enormous dams that destroy precious farmland and forests which results in the flooding we now see all over, droughts and consequently famins, stop them from cutting down rainforests which result in more flooding and in hurricanes in America, etc.

Donna, the environmentalist :D

Last edited:
Getty Images:

Prince Albert of Monaco attends the Grimaldi Forum during the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival held at the Forum Grimaldi, on June 28, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Francois Durand/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 71312981.jpg
    71312981.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 71312992.jpg
    71312992.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 71312988.jpg
    71312988.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 294
  • 71312985.jpg
    71312985.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 71312968.jpg
    71312968.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 277
Donna said:
Well ladies and gentlemen

It is time we gave our beloved credit for the good things he is doing, apart from his personal stuff. He is apparently if I understand correctly giving 20-30 million Euros every year to this scientific foundation. That has to count for something.

Maybe he will be remembered as times go by as the man who saved the Earth from distruction. The Earth sure is going through a hell of a lot these years. Let's all join him in his quest and do our tiny bits to save the earth. Walk instead of drive, recycle, pick up garbage in the woods, send nature loving light, force our governments to stop harmful Third World aid such as enormous dams that destroy precious farmland and forests which results in the flooding we now see all over, droughts and consequently famins, stop them from cutting down rainforests which result in more flooding and in hurricanes in America, etc.

Donna, the environmentalist :D
I like the idea of the foundation and apparently he is going to give some of his own money too, but what I would like to see from him too are those little bits that everyone can do. So instead of taking the mercedes limo to the conseil national (as he did the other day), which is a 2 minute walk from the palace (if even that), he should have walked. And maybe instead of saying that they are trying to encourage people to use public transport, how about doing it himself on occasion (and making it free of charge - you wouldn't believe how much rich people love to save money :D )? He said in his recent interview, that they are going to bring the incinary up to date, but how about closing it, since experts have stated quite a while ago that even after huge investments, it will hardly be brought up to standards and will be closed definetely in about 10 years. Sorry to be so negativ again, but if you want others to follow your example you have to be at least twice as good as you want them to be. Ad lets face it, Monaco is in comparisson to Germany still in the dark ages of environment protection. What is starting here and in France at present, has been done in Germany for over 20 years. Thus it amuses me that PA is consulting with environmentalists from France, who haven't managed to convince their own government, rather then consulting with experts from all over the world who have actually practical experience instead of just ideas of what could be done. I believe there are some experiments done in Iceland at present with regards to cars. Considering the amount of traffic and polution in MC, that should be one of the projects to take an interest in. Just my two cents.

We are are testing buses run on hydrogen and it is working quite fine, except in the winter. The buses produce water that leaks on the streets which freezes and would make the roads very slippery if all cars ran on hydrogen. The buses were always breaking down in the wintertime, can't remember why. But they might have improved a bit. Since you don't have the problem of low temperatures in Monaco this could be ideal.

However our government has brought us back to the Dark Ages by building a huge hydrodam, destroying vast area and giving the electricity nearly for free to Alcoa's new alumininum factory. They say that we are so far under the Kyoto protocol that we can do a lot more polluting and build lots of more aluminium factories. Half of the nation is not happy with this. But the government doesn't listen and they have the support of the other half. :mad: I hope they won't be elected again.

paca said:
Ad lets face it, Monaco is in comparisson to Germany still in the dark ages of environment protection. What is starting here and in France at present, has been done in Germany for over 20 years. Thus it amuses me that PA is consulting with environmentalists from France, who haven't managed to convince their own government, rather then consulting with experts from all over the world who have actually practical experience instead of just ideas of what could be done.
Maybe his german isn't that great. :rolleyes: But you are right he does so much travelling he could easily meet up with environmentalists from all over. Maybe he does and is just too shy to admit it. But environmentalists focus on their own country, usually, and Monaco is nearest to France, so perhaps they know a bit, although the french government doesn't acknowledge them.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Le Point interview
Monaco est aussi un acteur important dans l'humanitaire. Quels sont vos plans dans ce domaine d'action ?
Nous avons versé des fonds à travers l'association Monaco-Asie pour reconstruire en Indonésie le village de Sirombu sur l'île de Nias, entièrement ravagé par le tsunami. J'irai le visiter prochainement. C'est un projet qui me tient à coeur, il est beau.
Q: Monaco is also an actor on the humanitary stage. What are your plans for that area of work?
Albert: We have deposited funds into the Monaco-Asia association to reconstruct the village of Sirombu in Indonesia on the Nias island. The village has been totally ravaged by the tsunami. I'll be visiting it in the near future. It a project that's close to my heart, it's beautiful.

So he'll be in Indonesia soon, I presume...

And last, but not least: Le Point's poster boy :p (front page)
Picture (c) Franz Chavaroche - Nice Matin

Attachments

• Albert_point3.JPG
    Albert_point3.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Ghislane Thanks. Such a beautiful well paced, down to earth interview. Great interviewer. You're right, this absolutely perfect for this thread. But totally disappointing for another one I can think of. Such a master of evasion and dispersion, illusionary behavior.

New pictures from CHI

Last edited:
Prince Albert is also on cover of Paris Match current issue. I'll try to get it read it and summarize/

Getty Images

Prince Albert II of Monaco poses with Ashley Jones at the Palais during the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on June 29, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Festival Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Albert II of Monaco poses with Patricia Arquette at the Palais during the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on June 29, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Festival Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Albert II of Monaco poses with actor Shemar Mooreat the Palais during the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on June 29, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Festival Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Albert II of Monaco poses with Lost actor Jorge Garcia (C) and partner at the Palais during the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on June 29, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Festival Pool/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 71339041.jpg
    71339041.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 71339048.jpg
    71339048.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 180
  • 71339050.jpg
    71339050.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 71339054.jpg
    71339054.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 170
Getty Images

Prince Albert II of Monaco speaks with U.S. actress Milena Govich and Alana de la Garza (R) on the red carpet before the closing ceremony of the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on July 1, 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Francois Durand/Getty Images)

US actor Dennis Haysbert, US actresss Kim Raver, Prince Albert II of Monaco and guest, pose on the red carpet before the closing ceremony of the 46th annual Monte Carlo Television Festival at the Forum Grimaldi, on July 1st , 2006 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Francois Durand/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 71349015.jpg
    71349015.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 71349023.jpg
    71349023.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 71349031.jpg
    71349031.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 71349049.jpg
    71349049.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 71349098.jpg
    71349098.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 204
Last Pic playing with his pinky.nice pics.thanks.

wow, Alberts been a busy man these past few days.

paca said:
I like the idea of the foundation and apparently he is going to give some of his own money too, but what I would like to see from him too are those little bits that everyone can do. So instead of taking the mercedes limo to the conseil national (as he did the other day), which is a 2 minute walk from the palace (if even that), he should have walked. And maybe instead of saying that they are trying to encourage people to use public transport, how about doing it himself on occasion (and making it free of charge - you wouldn't believe how much rich people love to save money :D )? He said in his recent interview, that they are going to bring the incinary up to date, but how about closing it, since experts have stated quite a while ago that even after huge investments, it will hardly be brought up to standards and will be closed definetely in about 10 years. Sorry to be so negativ again, but if you want others to follow your example you have to be at least twice as good as you want them to be. Ad lets face it, Monaco is in comparisson to Germany still in the dark ages of environment protection. What is starting here and in France at present, has been done in Germany for over 20 years. Thus it amuses me that PA is consulting with environmentalists from France, who haven't managed to convince their own government, rather then consulting with experts from all over the world who have actually practical experience instead of just ideas of what could be done. I believe there are some experiments done in Iceland at present with regards to cars. Considering the amount of traffic and polution in MC, that should be one of the projects to take an interest in. Just my two cents.
Great, great points, Paca. I couldn't agree more.

I always think it's borderline hypocrite of actors like Cameron Diaz to take their Toyota Priuses to the oscars, while counterbalancing that with their ample private flights around the planet. After all, if everyone would consume in the way and volume that the rich do, this planet would go down the drain even faster than it is currently doing.

That said, the more prominent people step up as advocates for a greener world, the better in my view. In that vein, I quite like what Albert is doing. sure, one could dismiss it as a cynical PR move on his point, but the fact remains he doesn't need to do this. And after all, what other crown princes/reigning monarchs in Europe are stepping up to save our dying planet? Not many, if any at all. Disappointing is the word.

I completely agree with you Paca that the best way for these VIPs to advocate their causes is to give the right example. Someone who's doing an EXCELLENT job in this regard is the Prince of Wales, who is putting his money where his mouth is: he's advocating we all should eat organic, and instead of merely pontificating, he's spearheaded many initiatives in this realm, not the least of which the establishing of his own series of organic farms!

Albert could do something of the sort, too: for example, outfit the Monaco Palace with solar panels for electricity, and, indeed, <walking> to and fro when in Monaco, etc. etc.

To bring in a cliche: he should walk the walk, not just talk the talk. To be fair, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one: he may well surprise us and step up to the plate!

Princess Olga:
I always think it's borderline hypocrite of actors like Cameron Diaz to take their Toyota Priuses to the oscars, while counterbalancing that with their ample private flights around the planet. After all, if everyone would consume in the way and volume that the rich do, this planet would go down the drain even faster than it is currently doing.
Which would make Albert just as borderline hypocrite.

And after all, what other crown princes/reigning monarchs in Europe are stepping up to save our dying planet? Not many, if any at all. Disappointing is the word.
Frederik of Denmark, Charles of the UK, Laurent from Belgium (admittedly not a crown prince), Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands does everything concerning water. The environment is hot (no pun intended) and so an almost compulsory worthy cause for any prince/princess. They all, at some point, have done something for the environment. Whether for show, public opinion, or because they truly care, that's a different discussion.

Royalty is, IMO, not the most green profession anyway. That's not their fault, it's more a sort of necessary evil.

G., melting slowly in temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius.

Yes, that was an interesting article, thanks for posting it. I had read elsewhere that Albert had been providing for both his children before he publically acknowledged them. I believe Jazmin's grandfather, Tamara's father, gave an interview saying as much. At least that's what I read, I could not tell you where the article was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom