The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Last year when the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire died, some posters, on various forums, referred to her as Debo, as if they knew her personally. It's not uncommon, in other posts, to see people talking about Fluffy, PooPoo, LaLa etc. Is it out of affection for a favourite historical character, or is it a sort of intellectual showing off? "Oh yes, I know all about darling Fifi, she's one of my favourite princesses, I just loved that time, in 1876, when she told that wicked old Kennylicious to....." What do you think?
It sounds silly and pretentious when talking about current royals particularly, intimating that they are your personal friends. Further, it is often confusing because other posters don't know who you are talking about.

Most people would probably know who Lilibet was and also possibly Daisy, yet while they are pet family names, they are not known as Queen Lilibet and Queen Daisy even if Daisy is wearing her fabulous daisy brooch she wore front and centre on her wedding dress. The same goes for CP Victoria who, even in most magazine articles, is called by her given name and not Vikan. Using it definitely sounds odd, unlike Prince Henry whose parents announced he would be known as Harry.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Nobility

The other day, the DM posted a photo of a handwritten letter from Princess Alexandra to her brother The Duke of Kent. She signed it "Georgie".

Who knew?

As far as Princess Eugenie, I've read that she introduces herself as Eug (Rhymes with rouge). And, I saw mentioned earlier in this thread that King Juan Carlos referred to Queen Frederica of the Hellenes as "Aunt Freddy". I just finally watched the documentary about QEII turning 90, and in it, she's watching old family home movies with Charles, and Queen Frederica and HM's grandmother Queen Mary came on the screen, and HM said, "There's Granny and Freddy."

Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
The other day, the DM posted a photo of a handwritten letter from Princess Alexandra to her brother The Duke of Kent. She signed it "Georgie".

Who knew?

As far as Princess Eugenie, I've read that she introduces herself as Eug (Rhymes with rouge). And, I saw mentioned earlier in this thread that King Juan Carlos referred to Queen Frederica of the Hellenes as "Aunt Freddy". I just finally watched the documentary about QEII turning 90, and in it, she's watching old family home movies with Charles, and Queen Frederica and HM's grandmother Queen Mary came on the screen, and HM said, "There's Granny and Freddy."
Ive read letters from Lord Mountbatten to his sister Queen Louise of Sweden where he calls Queen Fredrika "Freddie"
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Nobility

It was just a month or so ago I read that when Prince William was a baby, he couldn't pronounce "Granny" so he called The Queen "Gary."

This to me is totally hilarious.

Apparently at some gathering, may have been Harry's christening reception at Windsor, William was asking for "Gary". Everyone was looking around, murmuring, "Gary?" and HM heard and said, "That's me. I'm Gary."
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Interesting. Do you have a link? I tried googling it, but couldn't find the picture.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Nobility

Prince Charles was a 'gruesome child' says letter from Queen's cousin - Telegraph

Well, I read it t'other day. It still counts. :)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Majesty

Harry evidently calls the DoC 'Cath' at times...he let that slip in one of the interviews he's done.

William has referred to the Queen as 'Gan Gan' as to what his children call her.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

We know the Queen was Lilibet, but was Princess Margaret ever known as anything else?

Typo before!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
We know the Queen was Lilibert but was Princess Margaret ever known as anything else?
HM was ...and is, Lilibet.

Margaret was Margo.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 AM
Nobility

and Grand Duchess Vladimir....Miechen? Something akin? Help me out here, old-time posters.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Harry evidently calls the DoC 'Cath' at times...he let that slip in one of the interviews he's done.

William has referred to the Queen as 'Gan Gan' as to what his children call her.

LaRae
According to the biography of Charles I'm reading now (Bedell Smith), Charles also called Queen Mary Gan Gan.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-08-2017, 04:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

My favorite of all times still has to be William's nickname when he entered the service. Combat Wombat.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 AM
Royal Highness

Camilla of Cornwall is called Gaga by her grandchildren
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Who knew?

Granny and Freddy."
Any idea why Pss Alex signed it Georgie? It isn't one of her names, I mean Georgina.. and I've never heard of that being something she was called...
Old 07-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm just starting to read the authorized biography of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother by William Shawcross and found it interesting to know that as a small child, she was affectionately known as "Buffy".

Old 08-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Isnt' Buffy a common American "pet name"?
I cant think of any nicknames apart from Randy Andy (we all know who) and Albert Victor being called "Collar and Cuffs"
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From Hello Magazine :Royal nicknames: The British royal family's endearing pet names for one another!

The royal family: Their endearing nicknames for one another - HELLO! US
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
According to the biography of Charles I'm reading now (Bedell Smith), Charles also called Queen Mary Gan Gan.
I think Gan Gan is the designated name for great-grandmothers going back to Queen Victoria.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Majesty

Buffy is not very common nickname, old fashioned. So much so, when Buffy the vampire slayer came out, few realized it was a nickname.

Buffy is believed to stem from Beth/y. Children having trouble pronouncing it, it turned to Buff not Beth.

It is indeed the source for the queen mum. As a child she mispronounced her own name and said Elizabuff. Her older siblings teased her lovingly, so much so even as she grew up, they would use Buffy.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes Its not one I have heard often but Buffy is an "abbreviation" of Elizabeth as in "Bethy-Beffy-Buffy"..
Kind of like the alteration of Margaret to Meg to Peg...