The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

My family is a typical academic family where kings and queens are stuff from the history and just names you learn to remember in school... They think the world would be better if it was 'ruled' by elected presidents - and they talks alot about the strange fact that a country calls itself a democracy and still holds an innocent family in imprisonment without the right to vote and be political active... I have tried to explain many times that the kings of Europe no longer rule but on the other hand they attract a lot of tourists... I think my family just love these discussions because they know how far I will go to defend the monarchy and they love to tease my about that...

When I was younger I used to write to the royals on their birthdays and my mother had an agreement with our housekeeper to give her the letters everytime a royal answer arrived. When I came home from school my mother would then stand in the door shouting "Christian - You got mail from your friends"... It was the same all the time...

Once my father was to receive a prize from the hand of the danish Queen because of a book he had written, he refused because he was certainly not a royalist... He then sent one of his students to the cermony instead, making up a stupid excuse about the weather and his 'poor health'...

Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Royal Highness

Is interesting the perception we, royal watchers, create in others who look at us. I mean, if we follow news about royals it seems frivolous for some people. But if we say we 'study' or are 'fans of' a particular political non-royal figure in our countries then we are a little more acceptable. Same thing happen with celebrities. Fans can follow the careers of movie stars, rock bands or sports athletes or teams and is normal, but following the continuous saga of a particular dynasty is not at the same level of curiosity?

Go figure that!
I was lucky many of my family members loved history, and by association the people who made history. My best presents from our older relatives were always history books.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
What do your family think about your strong interest in Royal families? Please share, as mine think I am nutty, as do my couleages, they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...Seriously, how do you cope with questions, even jeering and in general?
Members' of my family as well as my friends are very supportive of me being a fan of royal families especially the British Royal Family (BRF) which is one of my many hobbies.They say that this hobby is very educational as I use my time efficiently and effectively rather than me loafing around doing nothing or playing a game on the playstation."Time & Tide Waits For No Man".Many people are very impressed of me having this hobby as it is a very unique hobby.Not many people actually have this hobby in my country.My parents say that I should have born in a royal family and some other people say that I fit to be leader of some country.In addition,my family holds the BRF in high esteem as my late grandfathers' served the British government before Malaysia's independence.My family and I are very grateful,faithful and loyal to the British government and will forever be.Besides my family,my community,the Ceylonese community,are also thankful to the British government as members' of my community were given high positions in the government of Malaya (Malaysia which was known then) during the British rule.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Nobility

My family can't quite see what I find so facinating about royals, though I have tried to explain that it's the history and the family relations I find interesting. And perhaps that childhood princess dream?!? So I generally don't talk about it with them (don't want to nag about things they find totally irrelevant).

My friends aren't very interested either (appart from what you read in the glossy magazines that is). But we have a laugh together, because I try to update them on what goes on on this forum. Little tidbits And I do ace all questions relating royalties when we play Trivial Pursuit and other trivia games So it must be good for something!

Generally, I don't care what other people think of my hobby, as long as I enjoy it!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Royal Highness

What does my family think? To be honest, they're worried. My mother, father, and sister have no idea why I'm so fascinated. I'm wondering what's so fascinating about golf (my dad loves it!) so I guess we're even. Being from the U.S., it's even harder to explain the concept of the monarchy and it's importance of it today to people who've never had a King or Queen.

My friends accept my "royal fetish" but I don't really talk about it around them because I can tell they get bored real easily.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Absolutely nobody in my family knows of my interest in royalty and that is the way it will stay! Only my brother knows ( i have a large family) and he thinks I am strange for having that interest.

But as the saying goes: Dare to be Different
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Gentry

My family and friends are fine with it.....I can't say I know any others who are interested, though, so I can't talk to them about Royalty. I come from a family of 'collectors' who have interests so as far as that goes, it's helpful because when they see something out at the flea markets or antique shops they tell me about it. So they understand the fascination somewhat because they have their own things they are fascinated with. The bad thing about it is living in the US, there aren't many things I see related to the other Royal houses. There is virtually nothing on european Royals other than British memorabilia. I have tried to talk to British, European people I meet randomly sometimes but they always laugh off the Royals like they just don't care. Are we in a minority of 'Royalty fans'?? Anyway, I will never give up my love of the Royals! They are way more interesting than the trashy celebrities that are so popular these days.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Aristocracy

My mother thinks that I could be doing something far more productive then worrying about the royals. And, I think she should leave me alone and mind her business.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Aristocracy

My daughter and my husband thinks i should get a life. I enjoy it and don't really care what they think.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Nobility

My family think im quite sad that im interested in Royals
Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

I find it hard to understand why people think it's strange to like royalty. I often sense that people don't like 'royalists', however I don't see the problem with visiting a site like this to see photos and read news articles??!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
I find it hard to understand why people think it's strange to like royalty. I often sense that people don't like 'royalists', however I don't see the problem with visiting a site like this to see photos and read news articles??!
Most people in my circles are successful and have a comfortable life because of what they have done, not because 500 years ago an ancestor won a battle somewhere. So I think they look on royals, who have inherited everything they have pretty much, as do-nothings who just lucked out by the family they were born into and we as "common folk" are expected to treat them as though they are "superior". Why? What have they done to deserve even an iota of respect? That's the common complaint I hear. I also think many ppl, at least here in the US, can't comprehend PAYING to support ppl who have more money than most ppl will ever come near. And finally, I think ppl view royals as useless figureheads who do little more than open hospital wings and walk around shaking hands and all that. It's like, why does anyone need them and for what? As for visiting site like this, there's nothing wrong w it. It's fun and entertaining and even informative. I think ppl who get carried away - who live and breathe royals and start to lose interest in anything else - are scary. But that can be said for any sort of interest, not just an interest in royals.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Most people in my circles are successful and have a comfortable life because of what they have done, not because 500 years ago an ancestor won a battle somewhere. So I think they look on royals, who have inherited everything they have pretty much, as do-nothings who just lucked out by the family they were born into and we as "common folk" are expected to treat them as though they are "superior". Why? What have they done to deserve even an iota of respect? That's the common complaint I hear. I also think many ppl, at least here in the US, can't comprehend PAYING to support ppl who have more money than most ppl will ever come near. And finally, I think ppl view royals as useless figureheads who do little more than open hospital wings and walk around shaking hands and all that. It's like, why does anyone need them and for what? As for visiting site like this, there's nothing wrong w it. It's fun and entertaining and even informative. I think ppl who get carried away - who live and breathe royals and start to lose interest in anything else - are scary. But that can be said for any sort of interest, not just an interest in royals.
AMEN. You have said it perfectly. It is kind of annoying that they get so much attention for not doing anything spectacular in their life. I totally agree. I love seeing the pics and what they wear, but I don't think it is right in this day and age to have "royals." I know I will get a lot of heat from other members, but I love seeing the pictures, what can I say...I just don't think going to theaters, galas and ceremonies is work...having three jobs, trying to put food in your children's plates, and working hard to have a roof over your head is work...JUST my opinon....
Old 10-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

Ok, I am interested in your responses Roxsteve and Bella! I agree in a sense I mean, people who become 'obsessed'- (if you can call it that)? I think that is a little strange...

I think like most others I come here to comment 'Oh she looks lovely today' or 'I love those shoes' etc etc, however I also like to read about the royals who actually DO something- those that have set up their own charities/foundations.

I think people forget about this side of the concept of royalty. Some Queens, Kings, Princes, Princesses use their positions to help others, as do celebrities, ie Angelina Jolie. It's a shame that people don't know more about that aspect of it all!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Nobility

royal-watching is like a hobby.i find it healthy to follow a royal family with limits esp. if you live in the same country with them.i don't think it's sad or a kind of obsession(at least for me because i know in person people obsessed with royals and it's quite dangerous..).well i don't live in Monaco and i'm mostly interested in Grimaldis but i have my reasons for that.and sofia is right there's no problem if someone comes here for new pics and articles.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
My mother thinks that I could be doing something far more productive then worrying about the royals. And, I think she should leave me alone and mind her business.
i loved this message some people tell me the same thing!you're so right.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They don't understand it. And my friends wish I would stop talking about it.

What can I say? I just collect information that I have no practical purpose for (when I was in law school a friend called me "Cliff Claven" for all the useless trivia I have absorbed).
Old 10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
They don't understand it. And my friends wish I would stop talking about it.

What can I say? I just collect information that I have no practical purpose for (when I was in law school a friend called me "Cliff Claven" for all the useless trivia I have absorbed).
I know exactly how you feel! I also seem to store a lot of trivia knowledge that I don't need, it seems to steal harddrive space from the things I do need to remember Though, I guess we would be team captains on the national teams of Trivial Pursuit, if such things had existed

Thank heavens for this forum, or both me and my family and friends would have gone crazy a long time ago

Old 10-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

I'm actually more interested in past royals than current royals, even if I learn more and more about the current royals on this site. I don't think I'm ever going to come here just to look at dresses and tiaras though.

I try not to talk about royals with people, because I know they won't be as interested in it as I am. But sometimes, I can share some trivia with my mother.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

They think: " Oh my God, she is crazy!"
But, Hello! They all watch the Royal Weddings and Christenings!
So, comeon! Who's crazy? They admire them, too. But I am the only one who is honest.