Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everybody in my family know that my Grandma and some of her friends like to discuss about royalty (even first lady from some countries) and they have collection of Royals magazines. My grandma herself has a big 'point de vue' collection. Well... when others in family found out my new habit in following a royal forum they think I prepare myself to join the "retirement grandma" club:eek:.

My family thinks I'm crazy to spend time following royals. Well, with the exception of the Monaco princely family. We're from Philadelphia so they can see the interest in Grace Kelly's family but, apart from that, they don't see the point in royalty.

regardez said:
Oh it is a total secret for me. This is kind of super-embarassing for me. If anyone found out that I had more than a passing interest, I'd probably die.

My family probably wouldn't care that much, but most of my colleagues and peers would think it was so bourgeosis and backwards. We actually had a discussion the other day about social constructs and somebody mentioned royalty and they all had a good laugh at that.

I thought the same when my interest started, but now my family knows and they think it's ok. I always thought they would think that I'm completely crazy:D .
About my friends, I never told them, but everyone who comes into my room can see that I have a lot of books about Royals, and that there is a big picture of the daughters of Tsar Nicholas II. on my wall:eek: :eek:

My family, friends, and boyfriend knew very well that I like royalty and they respect my interest..but unfortunately,most of them are not hooked with royalty..lol..They appreciate news and infos about royals but they are not a royal fan like me..

My family doesn't mind my interest in royalty. They sometimes look at me strangely when I start rambling off facts. They actually encouraged it because it got me into reading so every Christmas or birthday they would buy me a few books. On my 18th birthday my friend actually bought me a $30 book on royalty (it was the Kitty Kelley book, but it was still a book on royalty)...when your friends start buying you books you know they have accepted it (or at least tolerate it for my sake :)). My other friend when she went to England to visit her family, brought back a family tree for me (of the British Royal Family). My parents had it put into a frame for me (They had to get it specially made & it was expensive). I'm also the one they call when they have questions about royals since I have random facts stuck into my head.

My family think that I spend to much time in front of my PC reading The Royal Forums sides intead of learning for my final exam!:D:):D

I am from Lithuania, so in my country is not royal family. but I and my sister very like royal family's and we often interest. But parent think that we a bit crazy. But they no mind:)))))

LaChicaMadrilena said:
to much time in front of my PC reading The Royal Forums sides intead of learning for my final exam!:D:):D
Don't we all?

Ugh, exams.

I feel a lil bit lost, because nobody in my family share the love in royals that I have. I just can't explain why Im a royal watcher :(
They thing Im a lil bit fool, so I dont even talk about royals in front of then
ya , thats sad =/

I have been a Royalist since I was a child when I saw the Coronation of Elizaabeth II on TV - showing my age here. My family are not really interested in the Royals but tease me at times because I am. One good thing about liking the Royals is that I have made some really nice friends on Forums. So thank you Royals everywhere!!!!:D

Scott

Paula** said:
I feel a lil bit lost, because nobody in my family share the love in royals that I have. I just can't explain why Im a royal watcher :(
They thing Im a lil bit fool, so I dont even talk about royals in front of then
ya , thats sad =/

this is how I always explain it: everyone around me knows (if they don't I'll happily remind them ;) that I have a thing for history: medieval stuff, castles, Victorian architecture, great world leaders like Churchill or the various Roosevelts, you name it. So in a way, interest in royalty is nothing more than a natural extension of a sincere interest in history.

At least, that's the way I tend to 'spin' it, but all the same, it's true, too: I've enjoyed many a thread on this very forum dedicated to royals of the past, places they lived, etc. I even dare to venture that thru this forum, I've learned quite a bit, about Russia's royal house for example, definitely a family whose fate was intertwined with historic events.

Of course, in discussing royals, there tends to be a tad of gossip, too. How could there not be? Most of us don't know the subject matters personally.

So next time anyone questions your interest in this forum for example, just tell them you're interested in all things history, including royal houses. No one can argue with that! :)

I was brought up in a monarchist family, but no one is as passionate as I am on the subject except maybe my brother. Everyone else, especially my husband, thinks I'm nuts!
It really upsets me when people make ignorant, ill informed comments about the royal (British) family. I often find myself coming to their defence.

princess olga said:
this is how I always explain it: everyone around me knows (if they don't I'll happily remind them ;) that I have a thing for history: medieval stuff, castles, Victorian architecture, great world leaders like Churchill or the various Roosevelts, you name it. So in a way, interest in royalty is nothing more than a natural extension of a sincere interest in history.

At least, that's the way I tend to 'spin' it, but all the same, it's true, too: I've enjoyed many a thread on this very forum dedicated to royals of the past, places they lived, etc. I even dare to venture that thru this forum, I've learned quite a bit, about Russia's royal house for example, definitely a family whose fate was intertwined with historic events.

Of course, in discussing royals, there tends to be a tad of gossip, too. How could there not be? Most of us don't know the subject matters personally.

So next time anyone questions your interest in this forum for example, just tell them you're interested in all things history, including royal houses. No one can argue with that! :)
It's funny, thats what I tell my kids, this is history I'm reading, not gossip! and my son (9 years) says: mum, again you and your history!

auntie said:
It's funny, thats what I tell my kids, this is history I'm reading, not gossip! and my son (9 years) says: mum, again you and your history!
of course, the 'history' spin works only up to a point, and decidedly not with clever 9-year-olds! ;) Which means we'll have to come up with a new one for you auntie! (a new good 'reason', not a new nine-year-old! ;)

princess olga said:
of course, the 'history' spin works only up to a point, and decidedly not with clever 9-year-olds! ;) Which means we'll have to come up with a new one for you auntie! (a new good 'reason', not a new nine-year-old! ;)

Quite right, princess Olga, he wants to understand what ladies in low cut ballgowns have to do with History

auntie said:
...they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...
Yeah, like I could explain the significance of Camilla wearing the tiara! Not that I didn't try but they (my family, friends, everyone) just shake me off or say "So what?".
Frankly the attitude of my family and friends towards my interest in Royalty can be described in one sentence; they think I am a nutter and urge me "o come back on the solid land". As if I am dreaming of be Princess or something! But no, I just like to be in touch with the news, to learn more stuff. But I know that it will be much better (both for me and my family and friends) not to talk about Royalty in their presence but that's really hard!

Queen Marie said:
It really upsets me when people make ignorant, ill informed comments about the royal (British) family. I often find myself coming to their defence.
Absolutely! While I don't face such opposition (both of my parents are very strong believers in the value of our monarchy) at home, in some social circles such as university, it is amazing that people can believe the nature of thier opinions without ever having sought facts.

I do get a few jokes thrown in my direction to antagonise, but it's rarely a problem.

Around the Camilla and Charles got married in April was when I got interested. I have never been that interested in royalty before. I watched Diana's wedding but I never got into Diana. I vaguely remember the soap opera of the 1990's but I never paid much attention to it. A reporter mentioned 30 year affair, being between reading material I had I'd do some light reading on it. By June, it stopped being light reading.Since then my primary reading has been on Camilla and what surrounds her. I was just interested in what was so special about Camilla and have grown to like her a lot. It never occured to me she would become my hobby.
A few side effects have occured due to this. I realized if I read the English papers instead of my local paper Bush isn't mentioned as much. So now I know more of what is happening in UK then my own country. And that after 6 years of Bush, he is turning me into a royalist which I find mildy concerning being an American :)
My Mother and two people at work know only because I started defending C&C being in America.

Most of my family and friends dont really know about my interest in royalty. My sister knows im a little interested, but thats it. I'd rather keep it to myself.

Most of my friends an relatives think me nutty, too. I have been interested in royals since the sixties, exactly since the wedding of Anne-Marie and Konstantin. I was very young at that time. Later at school other pupils and even later other students were interested in filmstars or popstars, but I never had the least that interest in them. It has always been the royals for me!

Nobody in my family or friends share my love for royals. They all know I always loved all things about this (only is necessary to see my favs books) but they no share it... my siblings because they are younger than me and everything that are not Harry Potter don't deserve their attencion and my parents... one word: taxes.

My family sort of tease me sometimes but it's all in fun. They're not too interested in royalty but a few of my family members will listen to me when I tell then about royals. It's actually the same thing with all my friends.
(post 200! woot! :D )

My family just laughs with me when I tell something about royalty(most of the time they don't listen), and they tease me because once I said that I would like to marry a prince and want to live in a castle (I love castles) and they say: "when you bring home your boyfriend for the first time we'll ask him "where is your castle". Sometimes I can laugh with it but I'm getting tired of it. When I'm watching "royalty" ( a program about royals on belgian television) they say: "don't disturbe her she's looking at 'her program', but I don't mind and I just look at it every week. I'm glad I found this site so I know that there are more people interested in royalty.

My close family and friends know that I have an interest in the British Royal Family (and my mother and grandmother are slightly interested too - not to the extent I am though), and my mother has bought me memorabillia and we visited Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle together a couple of years ago.

When I was younger I had a crush on Prince William and wrote him a couple of letters, and now, years and years later my family won't let me live it down and tease me if he comes on the TV.

However, they don't know I am a member of this forum and follow other European royal families, as I don't talk about it much as they don't share my interest.

The only person that knows I'm interested in this is my grandfather. He doesn't think anything of it he just thinks its another one of my hobbies or whatever. Sometimes he'll ask me questions about it but thats about it.

I have no problem being a royalist. My family is fine with it. They jsut sort of laugh it off but they don't really poke fun at it. My friends all listen patiently and after awile they might finally break down and say they don't care but most of them aren't supprised by me loving royalty. I'm a bit of an excentric myself and it just seems so fitting of my personality ot be a royalist. Love love and all that

Why are all of you so ashamed of liking royalty? I'm a Royalist through and through and always have been and it's part of me. It's something you like. You don't hide that you like soft drinks from people so why hide liking royalty. I think you're all being rather silly about this.

I'm not talking much about it besides i don't think that any of my familly members or my friends share the same hobby with me.I don't know if i can say i'm exactly a ''Royalist'' because i'm only interested in Charlotte's and Pierre's lives..I also find Alexandra of Hannover very funny but that's all..
I don't find it stupid as a hobby but the others do because in France we don't have a royal familly anymore :(

JPhinala said:
Why are all of you so ashamed of liking royalty? I'm a Royalist through and through and always have been and it's part of me. It's something you like. You don't hide that you like soft drinks from people so why hide liking royalty. I think you're all being rather silly about this.
You should not refer it (being ashamed of liking/following royalty) to all the posters, at least I don’t have such as feeling:) . I don't find that every poster here wrote something about being ashamed of liking royal (just one or two, I have noticed so far). Most of them have explained how their family/friend/colleague reacts when knowing their hobby in following royalty. I just noticed that unfortunately not every person gives a nice reaction while knowing that we like following royalty thing.

Back
Top Bottom