The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
The blue evening dress is stunning BUT when you go on visit you have to respect the rules where you go. I did not know that Japanese court is conservative but the protocol responsibles of the Spanish court should know. When the Queen of England goes on visit abroad she's her trip prepared by her advisors because it is impossible for her to know the customs and mentalities of each place, and we never saw the Queen of England make mistakes. They same team should exist for the Queen of Spain. So two possibly reasons are for this "faux pas" Either the Spanish court counsellors are useless and they should be changed, or Letizia does not hear any advise and acts as per her only mind.
Maybe her sole criteria is to appear beautiful and does not give a damn to be appropriate.
Considering the plunging necklines of Silvia and backless dress of Diana, either the standards are not as prudish as people seem to think. Or she isn't alone.

There is no plunging neckline. Not even a sweet heart. Honestly only the Amish think that showing the nape of the neck is lingeray. No cleavage is shown.

As for tonight the dress is lovely. Save the shoulder pads and the waist. The sleeves are beautiful as is her styling.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Considering the plunging necklines of Silvia and backless dress of Diana, either the standards are not as prudish as people seem to think. Or she isn't alone.

There is no plunging neckline. Not even a sweet heart. Honestly only the Amish think that showing the nape of the neck is lingeray. No cleavage is shown.

As for tonight the dress is lovely. Save the shoulder pads and the waist. The sleeves are beautiful as is her styling.
I think people often commenting on royal fashion have no idea what royal fashion in the past 80 years looked liked and comment on a gown being "appropriate" and post their ideas of what "royal appropriate" must be in their minds.

Unlike in Japan, where the men in "grey suits" decide what the princesses wear and even influence the empress, monarchs in Europe have more freedom of choice. They are still bound by royal protocol but they are not restricted as much as Japanese royal women are. For those who do not understand what I'm talking about, you only have to look at Japanese princesses' style. They all look the same, their dresses are cut the same, they have similar pastel colours and wear jewelry apparently identical. Letizia, as Head of State consort from the visiting country was perfectly fine in her choice of dress.

Having said that, I don't like the blue ball gown, it's too Disney for Letizia. Her style is too sophisticated to wear this.

I love however the Armani dress, all of it. I think is a wonderful tribute to Japan and she looks superb.

Quote:
The blue evening dress is stunning BUT when you go on visit you have to respect the rules where you go. I did not know that Japanese court is conservative but the protocol responsibles of the Spanish court should know. When the Queen of England goes on visit abroad she's her trip prepared by her advisors because it is impossible for her to know the customs and mentalities of each place, and we never saw the Queen of England make mistakes. They same team should exist for the Queen of Spain. So two possibly reasons are for this "faux pas" Either the Spanish court counsellors are useless and they should be changed, or Letizia does not hear any advise and acts as per her only mind.
Maybe her sole criteria is to appear beautiful and does not give a damn to be appropriate.
Frankly, as a Spaniard I find your post insulting. There is no "faux pas" made by Spanish royal protocol. Queen Letizia is the wife of the Head of State and REPRESENTING Spain in Japan. She is not wearing a bikini or showing her knickers. She is wearing a ball gown that's actually pretty conservative by today's standards while representing our country.

The Queen of Spain is bound by Spanish protocol who are in permanent contact with their counterparts before State visits. EVERYTHING is agreed before the visit begins.

Good grief, I can just imagine the scandal in Spain if Letizia follows your advice of wearing a hijab or abaya because she has to comply to Saudi's dress customs and protocol on the next State visit to Saudi.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where the idea has come from that Queen Letizia has avoided - deliberately or otherwise - Imperial Court protocols by wearing an inappropriate gown. It is rather a presumption with no basis at all given the following images:

The Asahi Shimbun Weekly Photos and Images | Getty Images

http://katemiddletonreview.com/wp-co...ing-2016-2.png

The gown itself is very beautiful and it's nice to see her wearing a dress with a fuller silhouette than usual.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not sure where the idea has come from that Queen Letizia has avoided - deliberately or otherwise - Imperial Court protocols by wearing an inappropriate gown. It is rather a presumption with no basis at all given the following images:

The Asahi Shimbun Weekly Photos and Images | Getty Images

http://katemiddletonreview.com/wp-co...ing-2016-2.png

The gown itself is very beautiful and it's nice to see her wearing a dress with a fuller silhouette than usual.
Thank you. the top of her dress is quite similar to the ladies in the far end, in purple and white. Especially the white dress.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

@Alondra
I'm sorry if you felt this way. I clearly said from the beginning that personallly I did not know about Japanese court customs, but apparently Letizia dress was considered as non appropriate, you can see many posters. Assuming that it is, I said that it was not her faults but Protocol office's fault who should have advise, unless they did and she did not follow the advise.
I do not see where is the insult for the whole country, and I remind you that it is not the first time Letizia steps out inappropriate. I remember a Pasqua militar with 3/4 length pants and a shawl.
And nobody told her to wear a hijab. Just to be careful to slightly adapt outfits, according to where you go.
I presume that it would be less a scandal to officially visit the Swedish court wearing an ultra mini skirt and huge clivage, than the Saudi Arabian one.
I found her dress magnificent, but as posters said court is conservative, slightly cover arms and back could be ingenious
Old 04-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
@Alondra
I'm sorry if you felt this way. I clearly said from the beginning that personallly I did not know about Japanese court customs, but apparently Letizia dress was considered as non appropriate, you can see many posters. Assuming that it is, I said that it was not her faults but Protocol office's fault who should have advise, unless they did and she did not follow the advise.
I do not see where is the insult for the whole country, and I remind you that it is not the first time Letizia steps out inappropriate. I remember a Pasqua militar with 3/4 length pants and a shawl.
And nobody told her to wear a hijab. Just to be careful to slightly adapt outfits, according to where you go.
I presume that it would be less a scandal to officially visit the Swedish court wearing an ultra mini skirt and huge clivage, than the Saudi Arabian one.
I found her dress magnificent, but as posters said court is conservative, slightly cover arms and back could be ingenious
a) Apparently because posters here find her dress inappropriate it becomes gospel.

b) Letizia has never worn a 3/4 length pant to a Pascua Militar. She's worn long grey pants with a beautiful shawl. I have no idea where you come from but in my country is perfectly acceptable for women, including the Queen, to wear pants in official engagements.

https://goo.gl/images/GzV9tQ
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Why is it always a drama to say something remotely critical about Letizia?

Some posters found the dress pretty but not suitable for a State Dinner in Japan, some disagreed. What is fine. It's a matter of opinion. From what I read, nobody insulted Letizia or used a language that is against the rules of this forum.

What I find disturbing is that some posters think that they have kind of a last word on opinions or can determine what is right or wrong, that a negative opionion 'becomes gospel' as if it was a lie. It is not a lie, it's a matter of perception. Or because a magazin publishes an article about Letizia not toasting - in this case El Mundo - makes it trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
a) Apparently because posters here find her dress inappropriate it becomes gospel.

b) Letizia has never worn a 3/4 length pant to a Pascua Militar. She's worn long grey pants with a beautiful shawl. I have no idea where you come from but in my country is perfectly acceptable for women, including the Queen, to wear pants in official engaments.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
I think that fandesacs2003 is referring to some other events that involved the military where Letizia was very casually dressed what has been discussed at length already at this forum.

Letizia has worn pants very often to general military events, but only once for National Day military parade (the photo with the grey pants). The Pascua Militar event in January in always very formal with long skirt/dress, a code that Letizia has never broken.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Why is it always a drama to say something remotely critical about Letizia?

Some posters found the dress pretty but not suitable for a State Dinner in Japan, some disagreed. What is fine. It's a matter of opinion. From what I read, nobody insulted Letizia or used a language that is against the rules of this forum.

What I find disturbing is that some posters think that they have kind of a last word on opinions or can determine what is right or wrong, that a negative opionion 'becomes gospel' as if it was a lie. It is not a lie, it's a matter of perception. Or because a magazin publishes an article about Letizia not toasting - in this case El Mundo - makes it trash.
What I find disturbing is words like "inappropriate" when it refers to a dress.
I like it even less when Spanish protocol is called useless on a fashion forum. We all have different opinions whether we like a look or a particular style but people should take care the language they use. If you say " I hate her dress" is perfectly alright, making snide comments about the royal house is not ok specifically when the poster has no idea about royal Spanish protocol.

We have gone through this before. You have the right to speak your mind. So do I.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Time to move on. The drifting-off discussion has been removed. Thank you for your understanding!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

(..)
As for the last night blue dress, which by the way I found magnificent I don't agree to call it Disney dress, I would say fairy tale dress.
We are in a fashion forum and when we dislike the use of an outfit it does not mean that we wish to hurt neither the person wearing it nor a whole country.
Inappropriate for an occassion does not mean ugly or vulgar. It mean that it just not fit in the special occasion.
And by the way who is the designer ? It can not be Caprile, Varela maybe?
Old 04-08-2017, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The fairy tale dress is by Varela, other than that Letizia wore her usual Boss, an Armani Prive dress, I think the green dress was CH, no promotion of new spanish designers.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Queen Letizia at the presentation of the awards for the children and Youth literature

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...a2f&m=ahclncgb
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...a2f&m=apkabdfm
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdltb...arkPreview.jpg
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

This blouse is a real no no for me. Not only is she too bony to make this look attractive, imo, it looks too,casual for a queen on duty. More of a backyard barbecue outfit to me.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Letizia looks great imo. Great make-up and hair in particular.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Majesty

I think she looks lovely. The off the shoulder style and silver accessories take what is a simple look into an evening look.

I like that she doesn't feel like she had to be dripping in jewels or wearing some matronly dress. I like Letizia and Max as even as queens, they dress as what they are, modern women. Time enough to look like Sofia and Elizabeth.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The off the shoulder style really suits her and thats a great style with that top, but the top isn't a pretty style of off the shoulder, the elastic is pretty wide, casual for a night look IMO. The overall styling was missing a chocker or a skinny belt.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...2548336130.jpg

I like this outfit for an event in Mallorca, we've seen something similar in 2006 already:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...p;d=1153759811

the off-shoulder looks really unattractive, the top cheap and too tight, the pants, well, at least they are not jeggins.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Nobility

I really like Letizia's hair styled like this but I wish she had worn A-line skirt instead of those black pants. And I totally agree with Dazzling: the overall styling was missing a a chocker or a skinny belt.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

The outfit itself is very nice, I especially like the top. But it was a rather odd choice to an event of delivering Awards of Children and Youth Literature.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Queen Letizia stunning tonight at the party for the 50th Birthday of King Willem Alexander

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-mdwGqWAAAgxdh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-mgKm_XoAAw3GQ.jpg

The dress is Stella Mc Cartney

Tags
queen letizia, queen letizia cocktail dresses, queen letizia eveningwear