Crown Princess Mette-Marit's Eveningwear Part 4: December 2011 - April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And also the event was not proper for that dress, pricness Mary wore it for a gala night...a suit will be just fine here...sometimes people just try so hard to be in fashion and they do these kind of mistakes...really a full catastrophy, no words!!!!!!

Horrible look. What was she thinking?!

I quote " I think some princesses sometimes try too hard to be fashionistas "

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I saw a horror movie when that pictures crossed my eyes.
I have no more words to describe how awful this is...
Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like me and every ordinary women out there dresses up way better than this sartorial choices that we see every then and now on women that are called PRINCESS!

There's a difference in a fashion miss and dressing ridiculously. IMO, the latter is an insult to the people who organized the event she turned up at. The whole conversation turns from the purpose of the event to her looking like a bag lady. Like all princesses, she represents the people of her country, and I think she should give a little more thought to what she puts on.

Mary's ensemble was a fashion miss, but it was not put together in a ridiculous manner.

There's a difference in a fashion miss and dressing ridiculously. IMO, the latter is an insult to the people who organized the event she turned up at. The whole conversation turns from the purpose of the event to her looking like a bag lady. Like all princesses, she represents the people of her country, and I think she should give a little more thought to what she puts on.

Mary's ensemble was a fashion miss, but it was not put together in a ridiculous manner.

very good points:flowers:

Very pertinent. Mary's dress was very appropriate, just some people did not like.
But MM was like a Carnaval

The dress is nice but MM ruined it by wearing it (a summer dress!) with black stockings and boots and a blazer on top. I wonder what on earth she was thinking. Nothing in her outfit matches anything else out there... proper messy, this is.

Spot on,Gracie Giraffe:flowers:
Usually,there are some people pro and contra,but in this case I find that we are united in the opinion that the design of the dress is not good!

I find Mary looked nice,except for that strange hemline:ohmy:
The lace and feminine,elegant silhouette was flattering,but the the asymetric hem was just strange and ruined the look for me.If she cut the dress to make a hem that has the same length on the front and backside,the dress would look nice.
With our dear Princess Mette-Marit I do not only object the hemline (which is entirely the fault of the designer who was trying hard to be cutting-edge) but the accessoires made it much worse...
To me it seems that she does not care a lot about fashion and superficial things,because sometimes she wears unflattering outfits and the next time she turns up in a robe that looks absolutely glamorous and fantastic!
I do not see a certain "trend" or "signature style" like I do with other ladies...which I find rather sad,because she looks great and could improve a lot with a good stylist who is honest with her and choses the right silhouettes,material and colour for her type.
That is IMO the most important mission: To find the right type of clothes,colours and patterns for your unique personality & figure,because everyone has different features and proportions.Everyone should try to give more attention to the good features (e.g if you have nice legs or pretty eyes-show it) to lead it away from your weaker points-because everyone has bad and good parts that need to be presented in the right way:flowers:

I just want to know: Who is her boss and why is she not reprimanded for dressing too horribly beyond words, so frequently no less? Does no one in the royal family ever say anything? You know, something like: doing these public engagements is a job and with any job, especially a high-profile one, a serious dressing effort is required, even if you don't give a hoot about fashion.

I would think that a stylist would be on staff for such a senior member of royalty. MM needs a dresser to help her with her choices; sometimes, it just gets too farcical and one wonders if there is anyone there or if she makes her own fashion decisions. And if she doesn't care about fashion and just makes mistakes due to her indifference to what looks good (or not), then she definitely needs help.

I don't think there is a stylist on call , she has been a princess for a long time she should know how to dress appropriately by now. She just seems to be doing her own thing. Pretty much liker her sister in law.

And if she had a stylist or an assistant to dress up, what do you think she or he could say no for the CP of Norway if she or he see that she selects bad clothes?
I mean a worker doesn't say no for the boss...

I like both styles-the one of Mary is elegant and sophisticated, the one of Mette is more "fashionistas"...I think both wanted to show how you can dress something in various style...I like both.....and I find it good, that Mette is not so typical as others VIP....:)

I would think that a stylist would be on staff for such a senior member of royalty. MM needs a dresser to help her with her choices; sometimes, it just gets too farcical and one wonders if there is anyone there or if she makes her own fashion decisions. And if she doesn't care about fashion and just makes mistakes due to her indifference to what looks good (or not), then she definitely needs help.

I am sure she has a stylist like most royals do nowadays.
But as I have already mentioned,it is important to have someone who is HONEST and tells her what looks good on her.As I know from personal experience, some outfits look nice in the mirror,but when you see them on a photo it looks horrible :ermm:

BTW:The delicate lace adornment of the dres is very cute,it can be seen in the close-up picture,just like I am happy with Mette-Marit´s natural make-up and hair :)

I would not be so harsh with the Princesses (of course I expect them to wear proper attire), but I find it much more important that they have a kind personality,care about their country & family and support charity!

Last edited:
The dress is just stupid.

It's too bad if Mette-Marit has a stylist who's not honest with her; what a waste of money (which I'm sure she can well afford) and what a disservice. After all, what are you hiring them for? I don't think it would do the stylist's reputation any good either if it were known that he/she was less than honest with the client, but that's just how I look at it. I'm sure any good experienced stylist worth his/her salt can diplomatically suggest fashion that flatters her without MM getting insulted. Certainly other royal ladies with stylists are often in the same situation where there may be a difference of opinion, but with collaboration a suitable look will result.

Other than that, I can only suggest a style intervention by Clinton and Kelly, the fashion gurus of "What Not to Wear.":whistling:

Last edited:
I fully agree with you,Baroness of Books!
A fashion stylist should be like a good friend-you should be as honest as possible & able to tell them everything, even if it is not so pleasant to listen to.
A stylist should tell the customer if a certain pattern looks disadvantageous or if a certain colour makes them look pale etc. Of course always in a friendly & polite way-but it is better to have a stylist or friends telling you "Well,this look is not flattering" than showing up in such an ill-fitting outfit that does not do justice to you. Because,as I have previously written: Mette-Marit can also look absolutely fabulous if she choses the right designs and colours that suit her figure,look & personality :)

I fully agree with you,Baroness of Books!
A fashion stylist should be like a good friend-you should be as honest as possible & able to tell them everything, even if it is not so pleasant to listen to.
A stylist should tell the customer if a certain pattern looks disadvantageous or if a certain colour makes them look pale etc. Of course always in a friendly & polite way-but it is better to have a stylist or friends telling you "Well,this look is not flattering" than showing up in such an ill-fitting outfit that does not do justice to you. Because,as I have previously written: Mette-Marit can also look absolutely fabulous if she choses the right designs and colours that suit her figure,look & personality :)

Wow! Turns out I have a stylist in my life! ;)

As for Mette-Marit, she has hit it out of the park so many times with her wardrobe choices, this is why I find her choices these days to be flabbergasting. It's as if she's in a funk of some sort.

Mette-Marit is very very rarely dressed well. (...)
I can not understand this obsession for black stockings, especially combined to light colours and summer tissues.
(...)
Mette-Marit does not care about fashion, but this is not bad, since she does not care, she should just dress very simply. A little black dress, or a trouser's suit could be enough, why these strange dresses, half-long, halg short, lace and ruffles.
Fail fail fail.

(...)

Truly if MM is not interested in fashion, that is fine. Then, why not wear simple, classic, tailored clothing? A LBD with pearls, a tan/beige trouser suit with varying button down shirts. A very good idea instead of appearing to be dressed from a quick reach into a costume bin.

where is the photo of MM with the dreess , the one in billedbladet i can't see it

Truly if MM is not interested in fashion, that is fine. Then, why not wear simple, classic, tailored clothing? A LBD with pearls, a tan/beige trouser suit with varying button down shirts. A very good idea instead of appearing to be dressed from a quick reach into a costume bin.
Absolutely correct. It is so easy for her to appear elegant without spending a lot of time on shopping.
And I'm not so sure that she is not interested on shopping, she rather has no taste.
After her wedding when the couple moved to London for a sort of studies MM was cought on pics spending her whole days on shopping, with Rosario of Bulgaria and Marie-Chantal.
And I remember her carrying the green croco Prada bag, which costed 10.000€.
This is not logic for a person supposed not to care for fashion.

where is the photo of MM with the dreess , the one in billedbladet i can't see it

Go to the port of Fairytale, april 16th, and you will see some pics of the dress.

Posts and comments about weight issues have been deleted as off-topic - thanks for your understanding!

Her fashion choices are very poor. It is past time for her to grow out of the hippie stage and remember who she is. Her hair is very seldom ever styled. The hair parted in the middle with no style makes her look like she does not care. She has the money to dress properly. It appears she just does not chose to do it. Mary and Mathilde are also busy mothers yet they manage to look well groomed and pulled together anytime they are out. She has time to go on these trips for "inner peace" then she certainly has time to visit a designer to help her.

Last edited:
Her fashion choices are very poor. It is past time for her to grow out of the hippie stage and remember who she. Her hair is very seldom ever styled. The hair parted in the middle with no style makes her look like she does not care. She has the money to dress properly. It appears she just does not chose to do it. Mary and Mathilde are also busy mothers yet they manage to look well groomed and pulled together anytime they are out. She has time to go on these trips for "inner peace" then she certainly has time to visit a designer to help her.

Very accurate post. That is true about the "hippie" style, she indeed looks still having her "flower kids" revolution.
That is non compatible with the CP status and priviledges.

I don't understand why MM must dress in a certain way. She knows that she is privileged and rich, but she comes from a different background. She dresses in what makes her comfortable and uses the amount of time for styling that she wants to put into it.

I like that attitude, a crownprincess (or any other member of a royal family) should be more than a mannequin, especially MM strikes me as a thoughtful, intelligent and down-to-earth person, so kudos for her decision to be herself.

I respectfully disagree, she is paid a salary to represent the royal family. There's a status and a standing that she represents. IMO it's part of the job description to present the royal house in the best possible light. I find it odd that people think the dressing well and being thoughtful and intelligent and well-dressed are diametrically different concepts. Frankly, I think if one can't pull off reasonably pulled together looks it makes one seem arrogantly unaware of ones role and dumb. I have several friends are are attorneys. They're considered the best and the brightest in their field. They make a hell of a lot less money than many of the princesses who are given a pass on how they present themselves because they're "thoughtful and intelligent". My lawyer friends, get their clothes tailored to fit their figures; they have separate wardrobes for work and play; they comb their everyday and when it's unruly they try and pulled it into some semblance of order. They hold themselves to a standard so that when they're in front of a jury their clothes either help or at least are not a distraction. It's insulting to intelligent working women everywhere to say that the manner that one presents themselves shows a lack seriousness.

Also, Prince Charles pays exacting attention to his appearance, always. His clothing is immaculate and expensive yet he's considered intelligent and thoughtful. But the royal ladies who make the effort to look their best are looked down upon because it seems women apparently must either be superficial or intelligent. I just don't agree with that supposition.

Last edited:
I hate the words "she should", I really do :wacko:
I love fashion, I like giving my opinion about royals´clothes, but I´ve never understand why people dare to judge the quality of a person job by the clothes she uses, really :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom