The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 PM
Commoner

Seems like renovations at Buckingham will displace the Wessex family from their apartment at the Buckingham to St James in 2019. Anne is already has her London place to stay over at St. james, Andrew's at Buckingham, Beatrice seems still to have retained the shared apt. at St James.

I'm sure there's a lot of planning going on, little-to-none of which has been shared. Must not be seen as any of the public's business.

In answer to my own posted wonderings about where the Wessex family took their newborns, it seems both children (2003, 2007) were born in Surrey. Bagshot was under 50 yr. leasehold as of 1998. Prince Edward has paid a lot (5M) to extend that to 150yrs as well as paying out of his pocket for a share of the renovations costs.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Courtier

I’m sure an airstream with an extension cord will be in the garden at Clarence House or Amner Hall any day now.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy-PA USA View Post
->
[...]
Harry and Meghan are kind of in a bad position/ bad timing coming after the Queen's four children - even William and Kate didn't have anything more offered and ready to them than NottCott when George was on the way. When the Queen (then Princess and heir) had Charles, she and Phillip had Clarence House available to them.
I am quite sure there have been discussions with and possibly offers to the Sussexes of other/additional housing. Just because we don't know what their plans are doesn't mean they don't have plans.

It is not true that the Cambridges did not have anything more offered to them than Nott Cott when George was coming--renovations were ongoing at Apt 1A and they moved in within 6 months of his birth. This move was known since Nov 2011, but renovations were always expected to take until 2013.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I am quite sure there have been discussions with and possibly offers to the Sussexes of other/additional housing. Just because we don't know what their plans are doesn't mean they don't have plans.

It is not true that the Cambridges did not have anything more offered to them than Nott Cott when George was coming--renovations were ongoing at Apt 1A and they moved in within 6 months of his birth. This move was known since Nov 2011, but renovations were always expected to take until 2013.
I concede that plans were made and well underway - it's very true Apt 1a and even Anmer were planned by the time Prince George was born.

My point, perhaps too strongly stated, is that only NottCott was available for the first 3months after Prince George arrived.

Pregnancy, even for other species, involves finding a safe nesting spot _before_the offspring actually appear which must make the process a little unnerving for BRF brides/prospective mothers.

Kate, native to England had more options and was younger on marriage than Meghan.

At 38, most women want to get such details well established early on.
I read yesterday that the plans for the Great Tew new build (whether or not those are Prince Harry/Meghan related is only speculation) at WestField Large/Beggar's Lodge were begun (commissioned/design submitted for planning approval) in September 2017. That's pre-engagement but I'd sure take matters like that into my own hands if I were planning a family around a new mother close to 40 and/or aware of the inner workings of BRF residential planning.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I’m sure an airstream with an extension cord will be in the garden at Clarence House or Amner Hall any day now.

A very cozy alternative for the couple as they motor their way across London and the UK going from one engagement to another.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Not only would Harry and Meghan put the "royal" in RV, its very possible that they will have yurts of their own in all their relatives' back yards. Charles will even find the perfect spot in his gardens where the Highgrove yurt will go and plant appropriately around it.

But seriously folks, I'm tending to believe that the planning for the Sussex household(s) most likely began as soon as the Queen knew Harry was serious about marriage and was set to get busy being a full time working royal for the "Firm".

We just seem to think that Nott Cott is it at this point because, frankly, we've not received any kind of credible source telling us otherwise. I have to admire Harry and Meghan though. Not only did they keep their courtship under the radar for the most part, now they're keeping their home(s) under the radar.

The Sussexes should give lessons in being stealthy.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I concede that plans were made and well underway - it's very true Apt 1a and even Anmer were planned by the time Prince George was born.

My point, perhaps too strongly stated, is that only NottCott was available for the first 3months after Prince George arrived.

Pregnancy, even for other species, involves finding a safe nesting spot _before_the offspring actually appear which must make the process a little unnerving for BRF brides/prospective mothers.

Kate, native to England had more options and was younger on marriage than Meghan.

At 38, most women want to get such details well established early on.
I read yesterday that the plans for the Great Tew new build (whether or not those are Prince Harry/Meghan related is only speculation) at WestField Large/Beggar's Lodge were begun (commissioned/design submitted for planning approval) in September 2017. That's pre-engagement but I'd sure take matters like that into my own hands if I were planning a family around a new mother close to 40 and/or aware of the inner workings of BRF residential planning.
In London Nott was. But as you seem to over look, the first two and a half months they were living in Wales. William left his flying job in September, and they were in Nott early October. At most they spent a few weeks in Nott.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan are not going to be short of a home....
Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Seems like renovations at Buckingham will displace the Wessex family from their apartment at the Buckingham to St James in 2019. Anne is already has her London place to stay over at St. james, Andrew's at Buckingham, Beatrice seems still to have retained the shared apt. at St James.

I'm sure there's a lot of planning going on, little-to-none of which has been shared. Must not be seen as any of the public's business.

In answer to my own posted wonderings about where the Wessex family took their newborns, it seems both children (2003, 2007) were born in Surrey. Bagshot was under 50 yr. leasehold as of 1998. Prince Edward has paid a lot (5M) to extend that to 150yrs as well as paying out of his pocket for a share of the renovations costs.
This is what I think is going on with the Sussexes. While not a long-term lease they are renting a home in the Cotswolds and it could be that the Cotswolds or some other country locale will be the home port of the Sussex family and not London.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Do we know how Nott Cott compares in size to the London “bolthole” apartments used by Edward, Andrew and Anne?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

we do not know the dimensions of any of them.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Commoner

Baby Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
In London Nott was. But as you seem to over look, the first two and a half months they were living in Wales. William left his flying job in September, and they were in Nott early October. At most they spent a few weeks in Nott.
No, I'd not say I overlooked the end of their Wales lease. I just happen to perceive that 3 months as a particularly transitonal period for them where they were "here, there and everwhere" with no set home base... prepping to depart (rather than settling into) Anglesey Wales, but not yet able to move into the next location.

I define "here, there and everywhere" as follows:

July 22, 2013 George is born.

New heir and his parents spend time in Bucklebury, Angelsey, as well as a good few weeks at Balmoral before their new home is ready.

Aug. 2013 Leave Angsley, Wales.
7.5 yr Military tour of duty completed.

Oct. 5, 2013 Kensington, Apt. 1A is finally ready.

Probably not more than a fortnight, all told, at NottCott seems about right.

Kate has the patience of a saint for making that work! She might well agree an RV is pretty cool under those circumstances

Not particularly conducive to getting the newborn into a routine, regular sleep pattern -- which the parents did complain was challenging. But maybe it wasn't so much George? Or at least as much situational?
Old 11-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Courtier

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-74332670.html

This is ready to move straight in --
- accommodation for security officers and staff in separate cottages
- bedrooms galore to set up nursery, playroom top floor
- lift between floors
- family kitchen + kitchen for caterers/cook when needed
- if you check out the satellite image looks like a huge vege garden
- 129 acres to land a helicopter
Old 11-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Do we know how Nott Cott compares in size to the London “bolthole” apartments used by Edward, Andrew and Anne?
If I remember rightly, when that journalist got a job at BP working as a footman the pictures and reports showed pretty down to earth apartments for Andrew and Edward, I think they have a sitting room, bathroom and a few bedrooms. They aren't massive and certainly smaller than Apartment 1A.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
So - in the ABC show last night about Meghan's new life, there was a telephoto, taken of the roof and second story but otherwise obscured by trees. A window was visible. I could compare the size to my own house in my head given that window.

Just guessing by the size of the window relative to the size of that wall, Nott Cott is smaller than my house by a good bit. Maybe 5-8 feet on the long side? I live in a salt box style 3 bedroom built in 1920. So, similar roof style and framing, if mine is newer and less historic. My bigger bedrooms are 11x10. The small BR is more like 8 x11. My 1st floor is two better sized LR and DR - but a teeny kitchen. One bath.

His rooms may gain space from narrower staircases and fewer closets - possible given the age of Nott Cost. But I took heart from knowing he is at least as cramped as we are.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-74332670.html

This is ready to move straight in --
- accommodation for security officers and staff in separate cottages
- bedrooms galore to set up nursery, playroom top floor
- lift between floors
- family kitchen + kitchen for caterers/cook when needed
- if you check out the satellite image looks like a huge vege garden
- 129 acres to land a helicopter
Can’t see this as Meghan and Harry’s style. But that closet! I die.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I’m sorry, did you miss the context of what I said? Or that all future residence discussion is now surrounding the fact that Nottingham Cottage is unsuitable for a family?

No, I didn't, but thanks for your concern.

It's just... All this yelling about how Harry and Meghan, oh, our precious flower Meghan, haven't been provided with a house does sound like they're living on the streets.

They have a home. And as far as Nott Cott being unsuitable for a family, it's tough to judge, since we don't know that much about it. Maybe it'll be fine for a while, or maybe they don't plan on getting anything bigger in London. Who knows. But stop panicking, they have a roof over their heads and I'm pretty sure Prince Charles and the Queen would offer them something more if Nott Cott was really too small.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

With the confirmation the Sussex's will make their official residence Frogmore Cottage, a new thread has been made to discuss their home/s:

Sussex Residences: Frogmore Cottage and Nottingham Cottage

This thread will now be closed.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences