Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that Harry would be a second in command and the vice-king was just had an allegorical meaning that Harry would be there for William however he should need him.

I fully think that the circle of life as it was presented is going to be the way it is. Harry may fade in popularity and all focus will be on the up and coming heir, George, but as far as a support system, William will have a good one in Harry.

I fully expect to see him choose a home on the same estate where William and Kate live IF he choses a country home. Past that I think he will live in KP somewhat near William and Kate ..if the spacing works out etc .

LaRae

If you mean Sandringham Estate, the decision isn't Harrys. The Estate is the private property of the Monarch - and its a working estate. Lots of working farms etc. There aren't lots of big houses like Anmer. HMQ actually had to come to an agreement with the leaseholder to get it for William. And it was chosen because of his Air Ambulance job.

It might be that when William becomes king, Harry might get Anmer but it isn't a given.

I agree that he will stay at KP and hopefully get a bigger property in there when he marries.

You don't have to live next door to be close. The thought they have to have an apartment next to each other to be close is funny. Nor is Harry going to be popping over to raid the fridge when he is married. That is what a bachelor who barely is home and has no groceries (why Harry is said to do it now) does. When he has a wife, and eventually kids, his focus will be there.

Though the brothers will always be close, their lives will take them in very different directions. William will be POW and have those duties in the years to come. Harry will be carving his own path with his charities and his wife. Harry wont be the side kick he is now. Right now he is a young single man, and it has been natural for him to be a tag along to Will and Kate. But when he is married he will have his own wife to do events, work with, travel with.

I can see them in Kensington but not because he wants to be buddies with Will. But because it makes most practical sense. The size of apartment will depend if London is their main home or not. But size of apartments, availability and security will all be considered.

If you mean Sandringham Estate, the decision isn't Harrys. The Estate is the private property of the Monarch - and its a working estate. Lots of working farms etc. There aren't lots of big houses like Anmer. HMQ actually had to come to an agreement with the leaseholder to get it for William. And it was chosen because of his Air Ambulance job.

It might be that when William becomes king, Harry might get Anmer but it isn't a given.

I agree that he will stay at KP and hopefully get a bigger property in there when he marries.

Yes..but I understand there are a number of houses on the estate so it seems likely Harry could use one. I think it unlikely the Queen (or Charles if he's King) would not let him live in one if he wanted to.

LaRae

Yes..but I understand there are a number of houses on the estate so it seems likely Harry could use one. I think it unlikely the Queen (or Charles if he's King) would not let him live in one if he wanted to.

LaRae

As pointed out, many of them are being leased out as homes, offices and such. It is possible the queen or Charles may be able to arrange with a leaser to do as they did with Amner.

There were three other main homes on the property. Amner, York cottage and Appleton. Appleton was torn down as it was discovered too costly to repair. York is used as estate offices as well as flats for employees. It would take a lot to turn York cottage back into a single family home. Not to mention finding a new office location, and housing for employees.

The home Diana lived in, park house, was turned into a hotel for disabled people by a charity Elizabeth is trustee of.

One possibility could be Wood Farm. But it is used to house extra family on holidays. But if Charles really plans to pair down family events and such, it could open doors. It is usually where Fergie stays when the girls and Andrew are with the queen. Could be refurbished for Harry.

Fergie doesn't go to Sandringham any more. She used to stay at Wood Farm when she did go there for Christmas after the separation but since the divorce she hasn't gone at all. The York's now arrive at Sandringham around 4.00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and leave about the same time on Christmas Day so that they can spend Christmas Evening as a family with Sarah either at Royal Lodge or even at their Swiss home - where they are by New Year most years.

Wood Farm is where Charles and Camilla stay when they visit during the year and the Queen and Philip have also stayed there. It is where Philip stayed when he recuperated after surgery a few years ago and the Queen stays there if she arrives at Sandringham before the end of the tourist season.

Kensington Palace as a residence for the royals is the most logical place for Harry and Meghan to reside if and when they marry. Its enclosed with strict security measures already in place which is a prime concern no matter where they live.

Personally, I think Harry would love the idea of living close to his brother and his family. Those two men have always had a very strong bond and I don't see that breaking anytime soon. When William does become King, if there was such a thing, I think Harry would be his vice-king. It would be so nice to have them both living at KP and able to walk over to each other's homes to raid the fridge, frolic with the dogs and just have someone close by to talk to.

But would Meghan like living so close to William and Kate? I think both couples should not have residences in the same building. Is there room for Meghan and Harry in St James?

On another note, why did Fergie and Andrew never move into Kensington Palace?

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, why did Fergie and Andrew never move into Kensington Palace?

Because like Anne and Edward, London was not their main home.

The couples were all given large country homes, well two for ownership (Anne has Gatcombe and Andrew had Sunninghill) and one for lease (Edward has Bagshot). These are where their kids were raised, the family home. When they were in London they were given smaller apartments in either Buckingham or St James palace.

There is a lot of speculation as you can see, same will be done with Harry.

:previous: They tend to be smaller. Charles and the boys lived in York house, which is part of St James, after the divorce until he moved into Clarence. The house is currently used as offices though for him and Camilla. I guess perhaps the offices could be moved, as were done for William and Kate.

St James, like Buckingham palace, is considered more a working palace then a residence. It is the official palace of the british court. It houses many important offices and the royal collection. Many state events are hosted there. Its not exactly the most family friendly, if a main home.

If Harry and Meghan plan on calling London their main home, an apartment at Kensington is far more practical. Even if York was taken over for them.

Eugenie and Beatrice had an apartment in St. James, don't know if they still use it, but there are some apartments there. From what I've read, though, St. James is a less popular option - something about the apartments not being as nice as at Kensington.
I think Harry would prefer Kensington Palace since that was his home when he was young.

I think Harry will end up with a main home at KP, and in time, a country home on one of the royal estates: Sandringham or Windsor.

Harry doesn't the annual multi million pound income that his father and brother will have. That income makes it possible for them to maintain multiple homes. We don't see that with the younger siblings basically they get one big home either in the city or the country. Not both

However Harry's father and brother will certainly make sure those types of expenses are covered if need be.

LaRae

No matter what happens or where Harry's residences are, I think we can reasonably be assured that he will live as fitting the second son of the monarch (Charles) and the brother of the King (William). If Harry is given residences to live in from the Queen, I think we can assume also that both Charles and William will be in agreement to keep the Queen's grants in place.

Harry has absolutely nothing to worry about on this angle. :D

I never said that Harry would be a second in command and the vice-king was just had an allegorical meaning that Harry would be there for William however he should need him.

I fully think that the circle of life as it was presented is going to be the way it is. Harry may fade in popularity and all focus will be on the up and coming heir, George, but as far as a support system, William will have a good one in Harry.

In the good old days, Harry could have been Governor General of Canada, or Australia, or even Jamaica (which he seems to be so fond of). That is the closest he would get to being a "Vice-King".

Those days are long gone and there are official positions that fill the King/Queen's needs but thinking along the lines of how important Philip is to the Queen and Camilla is the main support system for Charles, that will continue, I believe, with William and Harry and their families also being very relevant to being a close support system. Not only within the monarchy itself but also on private and personal level. That's what family does. :D

Harry doesn't the annual multi million pound income that his father and brother will have. That income makes it possible for them to maintain multiple homes. We don't see that with the younger siblings basically they get one big home either in the city or the country. Not both
He may not have the income levels of his father or brother, but he will have enough to live comfortably.

The place in the country does not have to be a massive pile, it can just be a 4-5 bedroom home.

Harry strikes me an urban sort. :flowers: Likely he will take a major place at KP (and maybe his wife will purchase a second home elsewhere, like Africa). He can get his 'country fix' easily at Balmoral and Sandringham the way he does now. JMO.

Doesn't Harry have quite a bit of money that Diana left him that would enable him to get a nice country home of his own?

Doesn't Harry have quite a bit of money that Diana left him that would enable him to get a nice country home of his own?

Around 10 million (can't remember if that's pounds or dollars) and I'm sure it's invested well. To bring one of the old houses up to code and preferred style it can be very very expensive.

LaRae

I'm sure he could easily buy a nice, big house in the country with that 10 million, but the upkeep of an entire estate asks for much more. I can't imagine Harry and Meghan wanting to live on a big estate anyway.

Around 10 million (can't remember if that's pounds or dollars) and I'm sure it's invested well. To bring one of the old houses up to code and preferred style it can be very very expensive.

LaRae
He does not have to have a grand house in the country, just a bolthole.

He does not have to have a grand house in the country, just a bolthole.

No one has said he needs one. All most have done is wondered if he, like William, will have a country house.

I suspect he will have some sort of country home and it may even be on the estate where W&K have one.

LaRae

The tradition set by the Queen is ONE home for the younger siblings usually a large country home and an apartment in London although Margaret was the opposite.

I suspect Harry will be the same - ONE large home - probably an apartment in KP and then access to a much smaller apartment when he wants it at Sandringham and Balmoral. He certainly won't be getting two large homes unless he is going to pay the upkeep of at least one of them himself. The cost in terms of taxpayer funded security has to be also taken into account as any home of his will need 24/7 security - even if said second home was overseas, which should rule out that option.

LaRae

Are we suggesting that Harry would actually be made to pay for the work himself :ermm:

If the queen saw fit or Charles to gift him a home on one of her properties, it would only be cost of refurbishing. Considering Amner was done for William, I highly doubt that Harry would be expected to foot the cost of his own home. The William will be king argument holds no water here. William has even less need of Amner, as he will be king and have royal estates one day. Harry will only have what is given to him.

Added security and such costs really don't apply to a home on of the estates. We're not talking buying his own estate off in the country which needs around clock protection. The estates already have it.

Anmer Hall for William makes sense as he will end up owning the estate on which it is located - namely Sandringham.

For Harry things are different. He won't end up owning any of the existing estates so either has to buy a new one - and that means additional round the clock security or settling for a London apartment at KP and use of a suite of rooms on the royal estates. He is a younger child and won't be getting anywhere near as much as William.

Andrew ensured his daughters and even grandchildren will have access to a royal property by paying the lease upfront on Royal Lodge and the refurbishment himself - so the precedent is there that Harry would have to pay for any refurbishment himself - as a younger child.

Edward has to lease part of Bagshot to pay for its upkeep and the lease is much shorter so his children won't be able to live there for the rest of their lives.

Are we suggesting that Harry would actually be made to pay for the work himself :ermm:

If the queen saw fit or Charles to gift him a home on one of her properties, it would only be cost of refurbishing. Considering Amner was done for William, I highly doubt that Harry would be expected to foot the cost of his own home. The William will be king argument holds no water here. William has even less need of Amner, as he will be king and have royal estates one day. Harry will only have what is given to him.

Added security and such costs really don't apply to a home on of the estates. We're not talking buying his own estate off in the country which needs around clock protection. The estates already have it.

Good point but being part of an estate and being on the estate are obviously different. I don't think that Anmer is within the Sandringham estate. It is in the village of Anmer outside of the walled estate (some 2-3 miles away) there was no security so more has been added.

Not that it matters. I think KP main home and a small weekend retreat near either family or friends. Their lives will be so busy that occasional meetings will be more of the norm than every weekend. Esp with children.

Don't see any need to own o/seas property. And I know that some have mentioned Africa but security issues are growing. That would really need to change.

Anmer also makes sense for William since if his father is as long lived as the Queen and Prince Philip it will be 25 or more years until William is King.

I'm sure there are already some places being considered as residences for Harry and his future family.

Anmer Hall for William makes sense as he will end up owning the estate on which it is located - namely Sandringham.

For Harry things are different. He won't end up owning any of the existing estates so either has to buy a new one - and that means additional round the clock security or settling for a London apartment at KP and use of a suite of rooms on the royal estates. He is a younger child and won't be getting anywhere near as much as William.

Andrew ensured his daughters and even grandchildren will have access to a royal property by paying the lease upfront on Royal Lodge and the refurbishment himself - so the precedent is there that Harry would have to pay for any refurbishment himself - as a younger child.

Edward has to lease part of Bagshot to pay for its upkeep and the lease is much shorter so his children won't be able to live there for the rest of their lives.

I am sorry but what precedent:ermm:

So younger children must buy their own homes???? :ohmy:

I do wonder how Anne bought Gatcombe. I was under the impression she was gifted it. She is a younger child.

I do wonder about Sunninghill. Quite a large house for Andrew to buy on naval salary. But he is a younger son and as you point out, younger children have to buy their own homes. I was under the mistaken impression that it was gifted to them as well. \

Oh well my memory must be pretty shotty. I thought there was quite a precedent for younger kids to be given homes. And previous generations.

FYI Andrew's renovations are part of the rent he was meant to pay on royal lodge. It covers the cost for the next 25 years (260,000 a year). If he chooses to break the lease in the next 25 years, the crown estates would be required to compensate him the remaining money (he basically paid 25 years rent in advance). His renovations were in part funded by the sale of his home which had been a gift from his mother.

Edward is the only child who was not gifted ownership of a house. I guess good thing Harry isn't a fourth son.

There is also no precedence set for grandkids which Harry is right now. Nor does Charles have to follow what his mother did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom