The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

£400k for a new roof and £600k for removal ofasbestor (that is done is controlled conditions) and rewiring, heating, plumbing etc. then £100k on professional fees.

Had to be done.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
QEII and Philip wanted that at the beginning of their reign, since CH had just been refurbished for them, but the government would not allow it. The government felt BP was the monarchs official London residence and the monarch had to actually live there.
One way to address the Windsor/BP issue would be to bring all the management function to BP - then it could still function for state occasions. Eliminating all but some suites for needed overnight stays would free up a lot of space.
Windsor could then become the primary residence. Queen Victoria did this after Albert died.
I do doubt this will happen.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I Think that the Head of State should be based in the capital.
I think the idea of the Prime Minister traipsing out to Windsor ( return car journey of c. 3 hours) for the weekly meeting is wrong.

And before anyone says its only 30 miles away, London traffic pm is appalling.
my journey to work was 19 miles and it took 1hr and 40 minutes.

the concept once raised of "living over the shop" is still valid.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Does anyone really think Charles has a "choice" in this matter? Of course every monarch since Victoria disliked BP, but simply stayed there. There is lot more in a Palace, than just "comfortable to live". It signifies the seat of the Head of The Sate. It is, in its own way, a national monument/symbol. It is imprinted in the minds of not just British, but people all around the world, for generations, as the center of British Monarchy, with its unique "accessories" like The Mall, Victoria Memorial, etc..And with BP, people will feel much closer to the monarch(y).
Windsor is distant and removed..the words royals dread to hear. I understand its great historical significance, but just let it be a historical one.The present arrangement is more than enough to keep its legacy alive. But business-wise, no other royal residence can replace BP, I feel..
Charles will obviously move into BP (atleast I feel so)..
Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
£400k for a new roof and £600k for removal ofasbestor (that is done is controlled conditions) and rewiring, heating, plumbing etc. then £100k on professional fees.

Had to be done.
This work was on one apartment at Kensington Palace and I wonder whether the other residences also have asbestos, aged roofs, ancient plumbing and possibly dangerous wiring. It seems likely to me that the whole palace needs restoration before there are accidents and disasters.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcblue View Post
This work was on one apartment at Kensington Palace and I wonder whether the other residences also have asbestos, aged roofs, ancient plumbing and possibly dangerous wiring. It seems likely to me that the whole palace needs restoration before there are accidents and disasters.
You don't have to remove asbestos, but once you disturb the asbestos it has to be removed.

I wondered exactly how bad in shape apartment 1A was in. It was renovated fully in the early 1960s, so it wasn't like it was super old. The plumbing and wiring should have been in good shape.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you really think that 50 year old wiring is designed to cope with the sort of lifestyle we all enjoy in 2013? Articles about that refurbishment allude to decorative light fittings and switches which, while "hip" were still a little dodgy, but in they went. There were a few brave new innovations in the kitchen in the 60's but I'll bet they didn't envisage coffee makers, microwaves, food processors, bread makes, induction stove tops, range hoods, etc. Things we all take for granted.

And in the living room, did they have a little boxy TV? A flat screen, satellite viewing and various recording media are light years from then and in the 60's vinyl was king! The sound systems of today would have been beyond comprehension with all the electronics required to use them.

Then, lest we forget, there is Broadband. Instant Internet which is now a basic form of communication . . . and 1A is wired for a telephone . . . anyone remember those wonderful old clunky phones with their circular diallers? Lovely to look at but you needed a pencil to use the dialler unless you wanted your nails ruined.

As to interior decoration, well let's see, "interesting" wall paint and paper, 50 year old carpets and drapes . . . lots of orange and brown? Ugh! And, what about all those en suite bathroom facilities we take for granted? So would any guest in 2013.

How many of us would move into a 50 year old home and not update the electrical wiring, plumbing and completely redo the soft furnishings. We are not even talking about removing asbestos or fixing leaky roofs with appropriate but costly tiles to stay in character with the rest of the building. And since I'm sitting in the watery winter sun, how about a 50 year old heating system?

It is an enormous undertaking but having people living in a building keeps it up to date and stops decay. Empty buildings always go to the bottom of the "must do" list and keeping such an historical gem is imperative. Believe me, where I live there has been much angst at the loss of historic building in the recent quakes and they were only 150 years old . . . or less!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 AM

I read in the British papers that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge would like to spend the first 6 weeks of their baby's birth at her parents home. I think this is a good idea! It was said in the papers that Camilla said there is "no room at Clarence House for them." That is where she & Prince Charles live. Prince Harry moved into the small 2 bedroom cottage with William & Catherine. The Duchess was supposed to have said the baby will sleep in their bedroom. What surprises me is there has been no mention of Queen Elizabeth inviting the couple to live in one of Buckingham Palace's apartments until full renovation has been completed at Kensington Palace. I think that is a bit rude since the baby will be 3rd in line to the throne. Yeah for Catherine to want to be with her parents for the first 6 weeks after giving birth to the baby. Off topic: I wish the papers would stop saying Kate Middleton. She is not a Middleton any longer.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
I read in the British papers that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge would like to spend the first 6 weeks of their baby's birth at her parents home. I think this is a good idea! It was said in the papers that Camilla said there is "no room at Clarence House for them." That is where she & Prince Charles live. Prince Harry moved into the small 2 bedroom cottage with William & Catherine. The Duchess was supposed to have said the baby will sleep in their bedroom. What surprises me is there has been no mention of Queen Elizabeth inviting the couple to live in one of Buckingham Palace's apartments until full renovation has been completed at Kensington Palace. I think that is a bit rude since the baby will be 3rd in line to the throne. Yeah for Catherine to want to be with her parents for the first 6 weeks after giving birth to the baby. Off topic: I wish the papers would stop saying Kate Middleton. She is not a Middleton any longer.
I wouldn't want a baby to spend it's first six weeks in BP. It's not exactly the cosiest home in the world. Also don't believe everything thing you read in the papers. Catherine and William are quite happy to wait in Anglesey until the KP renovations are complete.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Administrator

It's time to end this game of Move the Royal.

Off topic posts have been deleted and will be continued to be notice.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Have to say this sounds plausible with the contact in the local police appearing to confirm it and the royal spokesperson not denying it. Bit confused why it says the Queen is paying off the current occupant only to then say he isn't receiving any compensation. I suspect he Queen is more dignified that to have let all this talk go on and then oly later decide William and Kate should move in sooner. I imagine the fact I became public meant it was going to happen sooner rather than later.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set to move into country bolt-hole:
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set to move into country bolt-hole - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Majesty

Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George’s move to Anmer Hall on the Queen’s estate at Sandringham in Norfolk:
Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George’s move to Anmer Hall on the Queen’s estate at Sandringham in Norfolk:
Questions over timing of Prince William, Kate and Prince George
I am not surprised. i queried the timing with a royal pundit yesterday..He insisted that Anmer Hall was vacant, the planning works had been done and. It just needed redecorating.

Ive come to the conclusion that it is better to apply commonsense than believe so called pundits.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I Think that the Head of State should be based in the capital.
I think the idea of the Prime Minister traipsing out to Windsor ( return car journey of c. 3 hours) for the weekly meeting is wrong.

And before anyone says its only 30 miles away, London traffic pm is appalling.
my journey to work was 19 miles and it took 1hr and 40 minutes.

the concept once raised of "living over the shop" is still valid.
The commute is easily solved with a helicopter.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
The commute is easily solved with a helicopter.
Practical solution however, expensive and problems with increased carbon footprint - taken seriously over here.

Head of State should be based in the Capital. JMO

Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The press is behaving as if all the money was spent solely on redecorating for William and Kate; wasn't a lot of it due to getting rid of asbestos, and basic maintenance?
Absolutely, much of this work would have been done in time whether Kate and William moved in oer not, especially, I imagine, the work on the roof. Unfortunatley once it was announced that they were moving in any work to do with the apartment was seen in the press' eyes as down to them.
The same thing happened when Beatrice moved into an apartment in St James', aparently refurbishment there cost something like £300,000 but that was all doing maitenance work to improve the building/make it safe etc rather than on £1,000 rolls of wallpaper as the media would probably have us think.

Incidently I read in one of the articles about the couple moving in Amner that a palace aid had said (how true it is that they'd actually said anything to a newspaper I don't know) that the Kensington Palace apartment was to be William and Kate's home for the next few decades. So I think the plan is for them to stay there at least until there own children are grown up and need a place of their own or until they take on the ''top job''.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

What was the reason for Princess Margaret's old apartment being left empty for ten years? If a new resident had been found (rent paying or not) would the building need such extensive renovation now?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
What was the reason for Princess Margaret's old apartment being left empty for ten years? If a new resident had been found (rent paying or not) would the building need such extensive renovation now?
Kensington Palace is run by Historic Royal Palaces

Historic Royal Palaces is an independent charity that looks after the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, the Banqueting House, Kensington Palace and Kew Palace. - See more at: Historic Royal Palaces > Home > About us > Who we are

When Appt 1A became available is was handed over to the charity. I think at the time they thought to incorporate the space into either the planned public space or for their staff. In the end they used it for storage.

They were expected to renovate it but they didn't and it has now been handed back to the royal household who have to carry out the works.

The works would have needed to be done at some point because of updating electrics, wiring, water etc and that would always mean taking out the asbestos. You probably know this, but left undistrurbed asbestos is not dangerous but the problems arise when it gets cut, broken or damaged in some way.

All historic buildings cost money to maintain.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Aristocracy

Just wondering if when William leaves the RAF, are they also permanently leaving their home in Anglesey? It would be a nice retreat for them if they keep it.