Osborne House, Isle of Wight

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OSBORNE HOUSE

Built in the style of an Italian villa, Osborne House was the much-loved home of Queen Victoria and her family, a residence which afforded them some privacy and seclusion from public life. When the estate, and seaside home, were purchased in 1845, the original house was not substantial enough to accommodate a large family, and Prince Albert designed a replacement. By 1851 the new Osborne House, based on the Prince's ideas and assisted by Thomas Cubitt, was a gargantuan affair.

Prince Albert favoured the Italian Renaissance style and this is apparent in the Grand Corridor, linking the Pavilion, Main Wing and Household Wing. The walls and ceiling are highly decorated (the first floor corridors have an arabesque decoration), and the Grand Corridor served as a fine classical sculpture gallery - very popular in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Not only did Queen Victoria and Prince Albert take pleasure in their statues, but the Grand Corridor also doubled up as a useful 'promenade' in bad weather.

Apart from the splendid ceilings, the rooms also contain some impressive features, and much use was made of imitation marble, even for the legs of the billiard table designed by Prince Albert. Although primarily a family home to be enjoyed with the children, Osborne House was still a Royal residence, where affairs of State had to be dealt with. In the Council Room, the Queen's Privy Council of Ministers met, and the badge of the Garter can be seen at the centre of the ceiling.

Prince Albert influenced the highly successful Great Exhibition of 1851, and many exhibits relating to this event can be seen at Osborne. Displayed throughout the house are numerous gifts to the Queen from around the world. The Royal Nursery remains as it would have been, and the private suite of Victoria and Albert gave the couple wonderful views of the estate and the Solent beyond, which reminded the Prince of the Bay of Naples. One of the extraordinary features of Osborne House is the Durbar Room and Corridor. In 1876, Queen Victoria became the Empress of India and Maharajah Duleep Singh and his family became important allies to the Queen. She also had an Indian servant, who later became her personal Indian secretary, and he taught the Queen Hindustani. Thus, when it was decided to create a state banqueting hall, Rudyard Kipling's father, Lockwood, designed the room with a distinctly Indian influence. Completed in 1893, the room resembles a medieval hall with a minstrels gallery, and a remarkable, deeply coffered ceiling. Every aspect of the hall is elaborately embellished, and the 'Peacock' alone took over 500 hours to create.

After exploring the house and contents, there is the added pleasure of a ride in a horse-drawn carriage to visit the Swiss Cottage - a wooden chalet in the grounds where the Royal children learned to cook. There is a museum full of diverse collections, the Victoria Fort and Albert Barracks, and beautiful gardens, all purposely designed with both education and fun in mind for the Royal children. It is not difficult to understand why Queen Victoria was reluctant to leave this personal 'island paradise' and return to London. :heart:

osborne4.jpg

Thank you for all the wonderful pictures of Osbourne House. I wonder why Charles and Camilla didn't want to move here instead of Clarence House which seems a little confining?

Originally posted by thissal@Oct 25th, 2003 - 10:56 am
Thank you for all the wonderful pictures of Osbourne House.  I wonder why Charles and Camilla didn't want to move here instead of Clarence House which seems a little confining?
Osbourne House has not been owned by the Royal Family for quite some time. After Queen Victoria died in 1901, her son Edward VII gave Osbourne House to the Royal Navy to be used as a home for retired naval men.

thissal  Posted: Oct 25th, 2003 - 10:56 am

... I wonder why Charles and Camilla didn't want to move here instead of Clarence House which seems a little confining?

What are you trying to say here, thissal ?

Clarence House is downtown London. Everybody who is anybody needs a townhouse in downtown London.

Now .. in terms of a retreat .... its a toss up of where is better :

a.) Osbourne House, south of London on an island at the sea. I think this place was used as a headquarters by the Queen during Cowes (the annual yachting festival) ?

b.) Highgrove - in the middle of England to the west of London ?

c.) Balmoral - in Scotland, in the middle of the countryside somewhere west or northwest of Edinborough ?

A painting of Osbourne House-
[Artist unkown to me]

Attachments

• osborne2ab.jpg
    osborne2ab.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,130
Josefine said:
is this house in use today?
It is a museum now, I think.

BTW, Hitler admired Osborne House and allegedly wanted to make it one of his post-war retreats.

When Queen Victoria died here in 1901 Edward VII inherited the place but he hated it - he had spent a lot of his childhood here and I am sure that you all agree that his childhood, particularly his education, wasn't the highlight of his life.

He asked his surviving sisters if they could afford the upkeep as he couldn't and he already had Sandringham as his own country retreat and had inherited Balmoral, which he enjoyed as a base in Scotland. When they said that they couldn't afford to keep it he offered it to the nation as a new training facility for the naval cadet college, where his grandsons, Edward and Bertie (Edward VIII and Geoge VI) went to school before serving in the Royal Navy.

At some stage the navy moved to Dartmouth and Osborne became a museum to the memory of Queen Victoria. If she entered the house today she would recognise it as it is decorated as she had it. The biggest change is the bedroom in which she died where above the bed there is a huge plaque recording her death and was put there by her surviving children.

If you get to the Isle of Wight you absolutely MUST go and see it. It is lovely.

As far as I am aware no-one lives there at any time today.

I wish I could go visit it! It looks beautiful and I love touring old retreats for the wealthy and seeing one that is for royalty would be amazing. I've been on tours to a lot of the houses in Newport, RI.

TOMMIX said:
Osbourne House has not been owned by the Royal Family for quite some time. After Queen Victoria died in 1901, her son Edward VII gave Osbourne House to the Royal Navy to be used as a home for retired naval men.

Besides, isn't Osborne House pretty far from London?

Yes, it's on the Isle of Wight, which is just offshore from the south coast of England. You can see the island highlighted on the little diagram of Britain at the top of this page:

http://www.iwight.com/

It's a very fussy place, architecturally and in terms of interior decoration.A mish- mash of Italianate, Rococo, and Victorian.The grounds are very pleasant though.

Osborne House

Hi,

I found this forum a few days ago. Had a bit of trouble activating my account but now I'm here, thank you to the admin for sorting that out for me.

I'm a tour guide at Osborne House, so naturally that is my primary interest. I was there on Friday 17th when Charles and Camilla visited, I did meet Charles briefly, very very briefly.

I read some posts regarding Osborne House, some of the info is spot on, some isn't but even that is close. If you have any questions regarding Osborne House I hope that I will be able to answer them for you. I will also see if I can post some pictures but I'm not sure how to do that yet,

Best Wishes,

Fitzgerald

This youtube clip gives a small impression of the house. I went last year and did not see the Swiss Cottage, which is shown. They ommit Queen Victoria's Bathing Machine, which is a funny contraption and the memorial bench for John Brown.

Fitzgerald I have a question, when was the bench put in the park (In the movie with Judie Dench I had the impression they had grown apart towards the end of her life)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1PoBvK_hI

When Queen Victoria died here in 1901 Edward VII inherited the place but he hated it - he had spent a lot of his childhood here and I am sure that you all agree that his childhood, particularly his education, wasn't the highlight of his life.

He asked his surviving sisters if they could afford the upkeep as he couldn't and he already had Sandringham as his own country retreat and had inherited Balmoral, which he enjoyed as a base in Scotland. When they said that they couldn't afford to keep it he offered it to the nation as a new training facility for the naval cadet college, where his grandsons, Edward and Bertie (Edward VIII and Geoge VI) went to school before serving in the Royal Navy.

At some stage the navy moved to Dartmouth and Osborne became a museum to the memory of Queen Victoria. If she entered the house today she would recognise it as it is decorated as she had it. The biggest change is the bedroom in which she died where above the bed there is a huge plaque recording her death and was put there by her surviving children.

If you get to the Isle of Wight you absolutely MUST go and see it. It is lovely.

As far as I am aware no-one lives there at any time today.

FYI, if you youtube ( Kings & Queen - Queen Victoria) a lot of the documentary shows in the interior and exterior of Osborne House, and the interiors are magnificent. I wish that the royal family had kept it as one of their homes, it would have made a fantastic summer retreat. I believe that the objects in the home belong to the royal collection, but are allowed to be displayed at Osborne, can anyone confirm this notion for me?

I have seen pictures and videos and Osborne is a very Nice House. Too bad Edward gave it to the State, Queen Victoria wanted the House to stay in the Royal Family.

Also does know If Queen Elizabeth has ever been to Osborne House?

Last edited:
It was at Osborne House on May 26th, 1857 that Queen Victoria's family posed for the first official royal group photograph in British history.

In Kings & Queens, Richard Cavendish and Pip Leahy wrote:

In 1853, the royal children's Swiss Cottage, complete with its own garden, was added to the grounds. Here the children learnt gardening, domestic skills and the principles of commerce by selling their garden produce to Prince Albert for use in the main house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen pictures and videos and Osborne is a very Nice House. Too bad Edward gave it to the State, Queen Victoria wanted the House to stay in the Royal Family.

Also does know If Queen Elizabeth has ever been to Osborne House?

In the summer of 1938 Queen Elizabeth took her daughters there at the start of their summer holiday that also saw them sail up the east coast to Scotland. Mentioned in one of Sarah Bradford's book on The Queen (can't remember its name)

Osborne is one of my favorite British Royal residences, very impressive. Prince Albert was, besides being handsome and intelligent-very talented. I read somewhere that he personally designed Osborne House.:)

Victoria and Albert wanted a country or seaside home for their growing family. Windsor was too formal and Claremont (which belonged to Uncle Leopold of the Belgians, but which he allowed them to use) wasn't private enough.

Queen Victoria hated the Brighton Pavilion, which she called 'a strange, odd-looking Chinese thing,' and she didn't like the habit of the townspeople peering at her under her bonnet. (Bonnets had deep brims in the 1840's.)

Sir Robert Peel (her Prime Minister) heard that Lady Isabella Blatchford owned land and a property on the Isle of Wight that might be suitable. Negotiations to buy the house (later demolished) and 1,000 acre estate began in December 1843. Lady Isabella apparently drove a hard bargain, but eventually the sale went through for £26,000, paid for by economies Prince Albert had made to the running of the Royal Households.

Queen Victoria was apparently very happy. She was used to the Isle of Wight, having stayed at Norris Castle when she was younger. This would be the couple's private family home, set in pretty countryside, secluded and quiet and suitable for sea-bathing (in those days done usually for health benefits).

They wouldn't be disturbed by the different departments that administered Windsor and Buckingham Palace. She wrote to her Uncle Leopold "It sounds so snug and nice to have a place of one's own, quiet and retired and free from all Woods and Forests and other charming Departments that really are the bane of one's life."

'Serving Victoria' Kate Hubbard Page 98.

(In June 1846 the new house, designed by Albert, was complete and there was a grand house-warming celebration.)

Back
Top Bottom